Windows 8.1 requesting password after being powered down a month

den942

This HP All-in-One PC was a gift from a deceased friend. I have never had to put in a password to access Windows. I had a knee replaced and had it unplugged for a month. Now it shows I need to enter a password to access Windows. I did not know there ever was a password. There are medical records I need to get printed out. How can I get whatever password it is expecting to be deleted or gain access somehow?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
Thanks! But this did not help.
That sucks. It appears the only way according to the oem is a reset to get back into the system but at the big cost of your data, that means your medical records will be lost.

I'm new here and I began to wonder what the policy is on helping people get around lost passwords (if at all), it's impossible to know a legitimate need versus a stolen computer. There are ways I believe but a bit technical, running tools that edit the registry to change passwords, removing the disk from the system and installing into another and taking ownership - assuming they will work.

It might be wise to see if an admin or mod is willing to chime in.

If you recover your files, look into at least using flash media (stick, enclosure, anything)... to copy your important documents and anything else to for safe keeping. I generally don't worry too much about the OS or apps, they can be reinstalled, lost files are a different story. I would be a liar if I said I follow this advice, though I usually do. I failed to with my laptop and lost gigabytes of data, some of it important, most of it lost time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
I got it fixed with Spotmau 2012 Boot Disk. It didn't work the first try but did reset it the second try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
I got it fixed with Spotmau 2012 Boot Disk. It didn't work the first try but did reset it the second try.
I'm happy to hear you fixed things, kinda bummed you may have had to spend money... regardless, sorry I wasn't much help :(

Don't forget to copy-to those important docs, over to a flash drive, anything where you can get hold of em should you need em :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB