Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

What's the difference any more between a new OS and an update?
I think since win98 they were all just updates ,but we had to buy them ,but the service packs were free .
maybe once you buy win10 ,after that everything will be free ,who knows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
The days I have lost because of this sleep problem make me want to invest a few minutes to add my 2c and perhaps save somebody the same hassle I went through. I haven't read through all the posts so sorry if this brings nothing new to this thread...

I've had the issue on two different machines: a Lenovo T500 running Win7 and a Lenovo T540p running Win8.1. Whilst trying to fix it, I saw several variations of the same basic problem:

- machine won't sleep on lid-close, led to a v. warm notebook in my bag a couple of times
- machine halting abruptly with BSOD, always 6 minutes after trying to send it to sleep
- machine doing a hard shutdown when trying to put it to sleep via the menu.

After a couple of pointless re-installs and getting angry at both Lenovo and Microsoft, I realised that the fault lay with out-of-date drivers and/or automatic Windows Updates or third-party installations causing existing drivers to become 'out-of-date'. This means that software and support updates blindly patching drivers and bits of the OS whenever they feel like it is a big issue. It could also be some time before you restart your machine after that change was made, so the problem only makes itself known later on, making it even more difficult to isolate the cause. My recommendation would be to disable all automatic Windows and machine manufacturer updates. Instead, let them tell you when they think they want to install something and YOU choose what, when and where it gets done. This way, you have the chance to make a backup or set a recovery point beforehand. You could argue that if your machine works, you don't need to change it, whatever anybody tries to tell you (critical security updates usually excepted).

If you are unlucky enough to get the sleep problem, there doesn't seem to be anything else for it other than to wade through the Windows installs and/or manufacturer update logs to find out what changed. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a sure-fire fix but one way forward might be (after backing up everything) to just install all of the latest updates and driver versions and hope that this fixes it without breaking anything else.

Example: Back in May, I installed Devolo's dLAN Cockpit software on my 8.1 machine. Exactly the same version worked fine on Win7 as well as on Win8. The sleep problem reappeared, I think I screamed. I uninstalled Cockpit and sleep worked fine again. I stopped screaming. There was no newer Cockpit version so I chose to manage my dLAN using their iPhone App instead. Last month, I reinstalled Win8.1 from scratch after a disk crash, presumably pulling in a few different Windows updates and Lenovo driver versions compared to the last time I'd installed. I held my breath and installed the same version of the Devolo software, it ran fine and I still have no issue with sleep mode. My point being that it all depends on the precise configuration of your machine whenever you add something new to it. Any two configurations will never be exactly the same so a solution that works for one person might not work for another. Moral: Make a note whenever you install anything, to help you remember what might have changed recently if you get the problem.

The time before that, I found that the driver that caused the sleep problem was a driver which I didn't even need. (Tip: install the freely available 'bluescreenview' utility, for me at least, it helped me quickly identify which driver was causing the problem.) I just uninstalled the identified driver and sleep suddenly worked again. So, after backing up everything, check through your drivers, and disable those you know you don't need yet, such as Fingerprint Scanner, built-in SIM card, SMART Card Reader perhaps? Go to 'Uninstall a program' in the Control Panel or 'Start up' in the Task Manager and ruthlessly disable or remove things whose names tell you that you definitely don't need them. Google some of the component names if you're not sure, the component name doesn't always clearly describe what it actually does. As well as curing the sleep problem, this might even speed up your machine a bit, it's frightening to see how much unnecessary stuff is running in the background if you blindly go with an off-the-shelf set-up. Once you're done with all this exorcising, make a final check that your power options actually allow your machine to go sleep, then restart it. If sleep still doesn't work, look at the drivers which are still left and consider replacing them with newer versions. Might work, might not, but there's a fair chance it might.

One thing's for sure, it's difficult to blame anybody for this problem as so many different situations seem to cause it. Ultimately, it's a shame that the OS+platforms have evolved to give us systems where such non-working set-ups can happen so easily. It's also a shame that you need to fiddle about at the driver level in order to get unrelated basic stuff such as sleep mode working properly. People have every right to expect their paid-for machines and software to work properly without having to first roll up their sleeves and poke around inside them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo ThinkPad
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    16 GB
So my sleep issue with Win 8.1 is gone as I am running Win10. Of course, no good idea to break sleep ever leaves, it just gets delayed for MS to come up a new and clever way to break it again. With Win 10 ver 9879, my two 3TB spinning hard drives do not "wake up" after the computer goes to sleep and is woken up. No fix, I just have to leave my computer on permanently now. Oh yeah, everything worked fine when Win10 was on version 9860. I donno how MS manages to do this as no one else seems to have this issue. I am starting to take this personally!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Hi everyone - I came to post a request for assistance here and discovered this thread of the same topic. However, I didnt read 195 pages of content... thats just too much. I also suspect my issue may be a bit different than the original poster.

My problem occurs with my desktop PC running Win 8.1. , and I believe it started only after I had installed a graphics card. Prior to that I don't recall having the problem. So now I set it to sleep using the SLEEP option on the start screen and despite seemingly entering sleep mode, it will wake itself up within 2 minutes or so.

Would anyone mind assisting me with some first places to look as I attempt to fix this? (though by the last few posts on p.195, Im getting the feeling that its not an easy issue to fix...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
Mine has got to where it will not sleep. It also has shutdown issues. It doesn't shut down properly. It boots in restart mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X (AXC-603-UW12)
    CPU
    Intel Celeron J1850 @ 1.99GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire XC-603G (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 551MHz (9-7-7-14)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Personally, I've faced the fact that StandbyHelper works well enough and seems to survive all updates, maintenance, drivers, etc as you would expect normal software to act. So for me, making Windows sleep work would be classified as an unnecessary quest, a twisted hobby, or probably an obsession. I think StandbyHelper was my 12 step plan. Microsoft just doesn't warrant this much energy and stress any longer and it feels great. Unless of course StandbyHelper chooses to go over to the dark side.......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
For what its worth, I resolved my issue by unchecking the "ALLOW to wake up..." of my Realtek network controller.
Now it goes to sleep for certain because a nice blue ring of light flashes around my power button.
Sweet dreams Mr. computer....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
Had to refresh my computer and now it won't sleep. Had been sleeping reliably using local account and after setting some Process Overrides. Solved a problem with the refresh but frankly would rather have kept the problem had I known the refresh would mess up sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What is waking the machine? From an elevated cmd prompt, run

powercfg /lastwake

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
What is waking the machine? From an elevated cmd prompt, run

powercfg /lastwake
Asking me?

Lastwake History Count - 0. No issue with it being woken up.

It will go to sleep manually. Powercfg -requests all show none so by all rights it should go to sleep. Frustrating because I had it working. Probably missed some setting that I had to redo after the refresh, but I can't figure it out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Question - is it that it only goes to sleep manually and won't sleep after the amount of time required for sleep has passed? I'm assuming that based on your last reply. If so, there could be something keeping it awake (and that can be ferreted out, btw).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
I have the Power Plan set to turn off display after five minute and sleep after 10 minutes. It stays awake and will not sleep unless I manually do it.

Powercfg -requests show no processes or drivers keeping it awake. "None" across the board. Previously I set overrides for SRVNET and one or two others and that worked, but no overrides to set.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Interesting. I've seen programs and services (like Windows Media Player sharing) that can keep machines awake, but they usually register as processes to -requests. At least we can be sure that nothing running with admin visibility is using the SetThreadExecutionState API to forcefully stay open.

What does powercfg /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed and powercfg /waketimers show? Also, do you have anything running on the system that would include a wake timer, like IE or a media player (or media service)?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
What does powercfg /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed and powercfg /waketimers show? Also, do you have anything running on the system that would include a wake timer, like IE or a media player (or media service)?

"None" and "There are no active wake timers in the system".

edit: Standby. There seems to be some sleep happening.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hm..... I will await further reports ;).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Hm..... I will await further reports ;).
Laptop running Win 8.1 is again sleeping reliably. There was a program interfering with sleep (I had its settings wrong). Once I resolved that and again added a Process Override (\FileSystem\srvnet so far) it is sleeping just as it did before the refresh.

To summarize what I had to do (both pre and post refresh) to get it to sleep when it definitely wasn't before.

1. Use a local account. This is key, without the local account it will never sleep reliably.
2. Use Powercfg -requests to determine what processes are interfering with sleep and set the appropriate Overrides.

That's it. Keeping fingers crossed it continues to sleep reliably.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
To summarize what I had to do (both pre and post refresh) to get it to sleep when it definitely wasn't before.

1. Use a local account. This is key, without the local account it will never sleep reliably.
2. Use Powercfg -requests to determine what processes are interfering with sleep and set the appropriate Overrides.

That's it. Keeping fingers crossed it continues to sleep reliably.

Bru, I need a little clarification on #1. Are you saying a local account is necessary for all laptops to sleep (I don't really think so) or that the local account is necessary for your laptop?

The reason I'm asking is that my laptops have always slept reliably; just this silly desktop used to have problems sleeping.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Bru, I need a little clarification on #1. Are you saying a local account is necessary for all laptops to sleep (I don't really think so) or that the local account is necessary for your laptop?

The reason I'm asking is that my laptops have always slept reliably; just this silly desktop used to have problems sleeping.
Speaking about my laptop of course. On my 8.1 laptop it needs to use a local account in order for it to sleep reliably. If I switch to an MS account it will not sleep reliably. It goes back to the typical behavior of sleeping after a reboot and then eventually not sleeping again. Even with the same overrides set.

I only have the one 8.1 machine so can't comment on a desktop but I will say that I went ahead and added Overrides to my Win 7 desktop because it seemed to be having some sleep issues occasionally related to \FileSystem\srvnet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi guys,

I am having similiar issues, not sure if it's been resolved without checking almost 200 pages...

I went through the Troubleshooting on Power as suggested from another website and tested if it sleeps when set for 25min and it did even with something downloading in the background which is what I want.

I tested it again yesterday night but set it to 2 hours which is the approx time a download was to be completed and when I checked this morning the laptop was idle but awake and download complete. I ran the powercfg on Command prompt and it states that no time was set for sleep which I know there was when I checked the Power Options!!

Any insights would be great!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    XMG P504/P157SM
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4710MQ Quad Core
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 970M
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD for OS and 750GB 7200 RPM HDD
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
Any insights would be great!
I am by no means an expert in anything computer related but I did manage to resolve my sleep issue. At least for now.

I would look at it analytically.

1. You implied it previously did sleep. Was this for quite a while and then you now have the sleep problem? If so, what if anything changed?
2. Have you gone through your power settings to make sure you have them set the best way to facilitate sleep? Earlier in this thread there is a checklist.
3. Are you using an MS account? I have found my computer will only sleep reliably if I am using a local account. Others seem to agree.
4. Did you check what processes or drivers may have prevented sleep using powercfg -requests from an elevated Command Prompt? I set overrides for anything that was listed. \FileSystem\srvnet seems to be the main culprit.
5. Related to above are you in a Homegroup? Many say that will cause a sleep issue. I was able to remain in a Homegroup and obtain sleep by doing the process overrides I mentioned.

I would start with some or all of these and see if that helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back