Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

Well, it looks like some things never change. I went through the whole sleep issue last year and the solution that worked for me was essentially having a local account.

I ended up starting from scratch this week with 8.1.1 thinking maybe all those updates in the last year would have done something (wishful thinking I know as I've been getting the weekly updates to this thread for the last year).

Of course, nothing really improved. While my PC would sleep and stay sleeping if I put it to sleep manually, it would enter sleep on schedule.

So, back to a local account it is then. This is a bit of a shame as I actually spent time configuring the Start Menu and now going to a local account is not allowing me to really use it. I could have sworn before that you could at least sign into metro apps separately but this time around, any MS related metro app just dies on activation.

Too bad that Windows 10 is so far away as I guess I'll be living with this for another year.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550
    Sound Card
    Motherboard.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 & 2707WFP
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD x1
    Hitachi 4TB 5200rpm HD x4
    PSU
    Seasonic X-660
    Case
    CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0 version
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD 32
Has anyone ran across this solution? When you open Windows apps, the apps will close but will run in the background. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and view a list of running apps or tasks. Close the ones you are not using. Just a suggestion and a question to see if anyone else has came up with this idea.

Yes, noticed the same thing today after switching to my synced account to a local account. I could have sworn it wasn't like this before (i.e. you could have a local account and still access metro apps but that you had to sign into each of them individually).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550
    Sound Card
    Motherboard.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 & 2707WFP
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Seasonic X-660
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD 32
Well, it looks like some things never change. I went through the whole sleep issue last year and the solution that worked for me was essentially having a local account.

I ended up starting from scratch this week with 8.1.1 thinking maybe all those updates in the last year would have done something (wishful thinking I know as I've been getting the weekly updates to this thread for the last year).

Of course, nothing really improved. While my PC would sleep and stay sleeping if I put it to sleep manually, it would enter sleep on schedule.

So, back to a local account it is then. This is a bit of a shame as I actually spent time configuring the Start Menu and now going to a local account is not allowing me to really use it. I could have sworn before that you could at least sign into metro apps separately but this time around, any MS related metro app just dies on activation.

Too bad that Windows 10 is so far away as I guess I'll be living with this for another year.

I run 8.1.1 with out sleep issue an I run win10 with out sleep issue ,all on the same computer ,with a Microsoft acct ,so i'm thinking your issue is caused by something else , I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a sleep fix from win10

edit, I forgot I have win10 on a 8year old Dell laptop .running win10 ,same Microsoft acct and it sleeps on time also ,and I don't know why!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
We haven't had much trouble out of sleep with my mom's 8.1 desktop. It's been going to sleep as scheduled as of late. It has had the sleep issue before though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X (AXC-603-UW12)
    CPU
    Intel Celeron J1850 @ 1.99GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire XC-603G (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 551MHz (9-7-7-14)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
God, why did I ever decide to rebuild my PC. I remember all the reasons why I hate Windows 8 and I'm almost tempted to rebuild again and go back to Windows 7.

I'm re-reading this thread from scratch and trying to figure out the magic potion that fixed my problems last year but I can't seem to figure out what is causing my PC to not sleep correctly.

• Homegroup - Never used and signed out.
  • Onedrive - fully disabled in groupedit.
  • Local account set up instead of synced account.
  • All metro apps deleted (under local account, most weren't working anyways and I noticed 'Store' and Maps' were running in the background even if I never opened them).
  • USB power management turned off for keyboard and mouse. I don't have any other USB connected peripherals that have power management option.
  • IPV6 disabled (under network properties, not through regedit).
  • I followed the Windows 7 guide for power management settings (Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems[11]=Power%20Management) except for the USB settings as 'disabled' seems to cause connectivity issues with my Logitech K800 wireless keyboard. With 'enabled', it can become unresponsive.
  • With regards to Network properties, I need Wake-On-Lan so my HTPC can wake my PC for streaming video and I had it like this working before.
  • I don't have any special or unique software installed (or at least not the type of stuff I have seen in all the posts).

Anyways, from a cold boot my PC seems to sleep as it should. However, I have my PC set to wake itself up at 1:00am (Using this type of task: How to Make Your PC Wake From Sleep Automatically) and then in the morning my PC is still on. It seems it wont fall back to sleep after that point. The only thing in my Event viewer after 1:00am is some stuff at 2:30 which seems to be Windows chkdsk running but nothing after that, no attempts at all to sleep.

ARGH... Why can't anything related to Microsoft just 'work' as it should. Guess I'll re-read again and see if I missed anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550
    Sound Card
    Motherboard.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 & 2707WFP
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Seasonic X-660
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD 32
Heaven knows, many of us have spent huge numbers of hours on this but we never got a solution that worked.

The only way I know of beating this is to get onto the win 10 preview program. Sleep really does work perfectly for me now.

Not for everyone, but win 10 is very stable for me and I don't regret moving on to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Heaven knows, many of us have spent huge numbers of hours on this but we never got a solution that worked.

The only way I know of beating this is to get onto the win 10 preview program. Sleep really does work perfectly for me now.

Not for everyone, but win 10 is very stable for me and I don't regret moving on to it.
you do know Win10 is only a preview and will stop working one day ,and you will have to buy it and reinstall ,also there are lots of users with win8 sleep issues who still cant get the win10 to sleep

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
Someone from a trusted source online said that all Windows 8.1 users have to do to get 10 is to apply an update. Windows 8 and earlier versions will have to do an in place upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Someone from a trusted source online said that all Windows 8.1 users have to do to get 10 is to apply an update. Windows 8 and earlier versions will have to do an in place upgrade.

Which may or may not be true. Most probably wishful thinking on the part of all of us. I would like to see that, but I have never seen anything like it happen in the past.

As bad as people thought Vista was (most of it was bad publicity), Microsoft didn't give Windows 7 away. Nor did they give away the next version of Windows after Windows ME. So I'm not exactly counting on Windows 10 being a giveaway either.

So, if it were me, I would take anything I read about Windows 10 being an "upgrade" of Windows 8 (and being free) with a grain of salt.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

you do know Win10 is only a preview and will stop working one day ,and you will have to buy it and reinstall ,also there are lots of users with win8 sleep issues who still cant get the win10 to sleep
Errr, yes, I have been around long enough to know what a preview is and I have taken into account the buy/reinstall scenario.

Can't see feedback on sleep issues after the update fix applied after 9860.

Like I said, this is just my experience and we all have to make up our own minds when we want to move on or stay with what we have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB

Which may or may not be true. Most probably wishful thinking on the part of all of us. I would like to see that, but I have never seen anything like it happen in the past.

As bad as people thought Vista was (most of it was bad publicity), Microsoft didn't give Windows 7 away. Nor did they give away the next version of Windows after Windows ME. So I'm not exactly counting on Windows 10 being a giveaway either.

So, if it were me, I would take anything I read about Windows 10 being an "upgrade" of Windows 8 (and being free) with a grain of salt.

I agree no one knows. This time could possibly be different. Microsoft is holding on for dear life to market share right now. Releasing on competing platforms first and more often, making cherished software open source etc. There is new thinking. I wouldn't count on anything like this upgrade happening but I wouldn't rule it out based on what I'm seeing lately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Interestingly enough, after my last post, I was monitoring my powercfg /requests as it was normally always clear after a fresh boot but not in the morning after the failed sleep attempts (as there was one of those SRVNET(?) listings under System).

Anyways, I had just checked it and it was clear and then moments later after checking it again, I noticed a SRVNET listing. I then checked my Event Viewer and noticed that the Windows Media Share service started (? Not sure exactly what the name was... should have noted it down). As I had media sharing disabled in the Network settings, I was surprised the service started.

Long story short-er, I uninstalled Windows Media Player from Program Options and my PC now seems to go back to sleep after my wake timer event (or at least it has worked the past two nights).

I didn't uninstall Windows Media Player last year so I'm not sure why this time it seems to have made a difference, but I'll take what I can get.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550
    Sound Card
    Motherboard.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 & 2707WFP
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Seasonic X-660
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD 32

OK, but although it will be much easier to update from Windows 8.1 than 8.0 and 7, I didn't see anything that said the update would be free. Just simpler and easier. Or did I miss something?

Has there ever been a charge for what Microsoft calls an "update"?

Alls I can say is that I very much hope it's true, but I ain't holdin' mah breath! :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

OK, but although it will be much easier to update from Windows 8.1 than 8.0 and 7, I didn't see anything that said the update would be free. Just simpler and easier. Or did I miss something?
Sure there will be a charge, it's like the big sign outside BestBuy ,just arrived Microsoft Surfce Pro 3,get your now ! Just because it dosnt mention price we still expect to pay for it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info

Sure there will be a charge, it's like the big sign outside BestBuy ,just arrived Microsoft Surfce Pro 3,get your now ! Just because it dosnt mention price we still expect to pay for it

I don't think so if it's really just an "update". Microsoft blew it royally with W8. They need to get as many as possible onto W10. It's about market share now. They're quickly losing their monopoly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

I don't think so if it's really just an "update". Microsoft blew it royally with W8. They need to get as many as possible onto W10. It's about market share now. They're quickly losing their monopoly.

its be said that win10 as it is now called will be a new OS and not an update . I used Belarc Advisor the other day to check for my windows key ,and it referred to my OS as being Win9 ,now iam not saying Belarc is correct .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info

its be said that win10 as it is now called will be a new OS and not an update . I used Belarc Advisor the other day to check for my windows key ,and it referred to my OS as being Win9 ,now iam not saying Belarc is correct .

What's the difference any more between a new OS and an update? Microsoft is supposedly trying to do away with major releases. They are trying to push us into subscription and do all enhancements via frequent updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL