Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

I tried to disable Windows Error Reporting because I run a program which is notorious for causing explorer.exe to crash from time to time. I need this program and there is no alternative to it, so I have to put up with it. Nevertheless, everytime it crashes it creates a Windows error report of the size of >350 MB! (And no, it's not a dump file, it is an actual error report.) I don't mind sending error reports to Microsoft, but this is just ridiculous. Even if I don't send it, it still stays on my PC until the next reboot. Leaving my PC running (and sleeping) for several days causes them to amount to several GBs. There is nothing wrong with my PC, I have the same problem on my Notebook running Windows 7, where I had no trouble disabling WER.

@linw - Disabling Windows Error Reporting will not help your PC sleep. But some ways of disabling it will cause sleeplessness. My findings will only help people who have previously disabled WER. (Windows Error reporting service is only running if there was an error.)

@Gork - werfault.exe is just a process belonging to Windows Error Reporting. Keeping it from running is just one way of disabling WER. But there are several different ways to disable it. Some of them caused my previously sleeping system to not sleep.

We have already established, that there are several different causes for sleeplessness in W8.1. Getting a non-sleeping system to sleep, you may only know about the latest change you made. Making changes to my sleeping system and causing sleeplessness, and even being able to reproduce it, I can also tell that it is a cause. Still, it only holds true for my system and may not have an influence in yours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
I checked my Windows Error reporting service and it is already stopped. Don't know how that is. Mmmmm.
Mine was too, set to manual. Just for giggles I tried setting error reporting to never and it didn't help the computer sleep:
From check/send data to never: CP > Action Center > expand Maintenance arrow > Settings

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
I NEVER said disabling Windows Error Reporting will help your computer sleep. On the contrary, some ways of disabling it will cause sleeplessness.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
so did you guys find an actual solution to the problem?
Edit: This idea came up in mind atm , the sleep troubles started after i bought gaming gear (keyboard and mouse) with fancy led's and stuff. Ive noticed that few times booting was delayed if i would not unplug one of those devices . Sometimes they even delay the shutting down procedure.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update 1 pro x64
Faolan, thank you for your observations. I went to services and changed my error reporting from manual to automatic and will see if it makes a difference. I too frequently turn off error reporting on browsers and such as some pages display fine but Windows objects to some minor bug and splashes a message box about something I could care less about and can do nothing to change. Like Linw, I will report back in a bit if that helps or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I NEVER said disabling Windows Error Reporting will help your computer sleep.
I understand this - hence my "just for giggles" comment...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
Didn't take long! I disabled the Windows Error Reporting service yesterday afternoon and it has stopped sleeping in less than a day.

Back to local login and 100% sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
I wouldn't want to use a local account but when I tried it the pc eventually stopped sleeping so it made no difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Just shows what a nasty and complicated problem this is. Works for me but not you. There are just too many variables for any of us to make any sense of this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Just done the monthly updates. Reverted to MS login - again. Shows how sad and sick I am!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running a sweepstake for how many hours before it stops sleeping. I've picked 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
I was wrong - sleep lasted about 6 hrs. Ho Hum.

My testing is usually 4-6 hours after each change which I think (hope) might make a difference. So that seems about right. Er - wrong... So VERY WRONG! Ugh.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know the latest updates don't seem to fix the issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I just installed the 8.1 Tuesday patches which I understand is actually 8.1 update #2.

Looks like I've gone from bad to worse if you can believe it. Now, when I manually attempt a shutdown the PC completely ignores the activation of the shutdown button for about 30 full seconds, then it kicks in and shuts down. Apparently it still reacts to the sleep button instantly.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only lucky one this time?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I just installed the 8.1 Tuesday patches which I understand is actually 8.1 update #2.

Looks like I've gone from bad to worse if you can believe it. Now, when I manually attempt a shutdown the PC completely ignores the activation of the shutdown button for about 30 full seconds, then it kicks in and shuts down. Apparently it still reacts to the sleep button instantly.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only lucky one this time?

After sleeping fine for 4 months, the patch is causing erratic sleep for me. My (wireless) mouse now wakes the computer even when I have unchecked the allow this device to wake computer box. It also appears to be randomly waking up and running for several hours, sleeping and then coming back on after a few minutes. Will be monitoring this forum to see what others report.

Update:

It appears that either wake on packet match or magic packet is likely the cause. I have disabled both on my network card. So far, so good. Will report back later.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro x64 w Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCentre / K430
    CPU
    Intel I7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo - K430
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce GT640
    Sound Card
    Onboard - Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FPD2484W
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    Kingston 240 GB SSD w 2 TB ST2000DM HD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo USB
    Mouse
    Lenovo wired ; was Wireless Logitech- M510
    Internet Speed
    5 Mbs
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    VMPlayer, WHS2011, MSOffice 2013, AudialsOne, Skype, VideoStudio X7, Paintshop Pro, Family Tree, Advanced Uninstaller, Brother MFC
@kenj - these are disabled on my card.

@NCguy - my shutdown is fine. Guess you just got lucky!! Sounds like it is having trouble closing down a program(s). But who would know with these systems? I did have great success with a Vista system that related to the wait-to-kill value in the registry. It was set way too high. Have a look here Windows: Speed Up Shut Down Time via Registry | a Tech-Recipes Tutorial
It is probably fine but worth a quick look. Just checked mine. It is the default 5000.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
I have 8.1 too, but I don't have a home group, I don't think anyway. I have three computers in the house but I don't share anything with them. I still can't get my computer to sleep. It's driving me crazy because I sometimes have to sleep in this room when we have my granddaughter overnight and it goes on and off all night long. Is there an easy fix?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK M1188 Series
    CPU
    3.20GHz
    Motherboard
    AMD 64 bit