Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

After having this problem for the past few days I tried everything and couldn't figure out what the issue was. After finding this thread on Google, I wanna buy everyone a drink.

Only issue for now is sleep takes a bit to start, maybe 2-3 minutes after the amounted time from clicking sleep. This going on for everyone else?

Owl, welcome to Win8 forums. I am glad that this thread helped you out. You can click on the little thumbs up to bump the rep of the person whose post helped you out. Good as gold ale. While you are here, look at the dizzying list of tutorials that are available, a wealth of knowledge.

Was it the HOMEGROUP issue or something else that solved your sleep issues? I am trying to keep track of how widespread this bear of a bug is...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Hate to Mess Up the Success

I have no Homegroup set up, turned off the 6 thingy and it still won't sleep when set on 1 minute.

Now what?

Sorry.

:cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    hp
I have no Homegroup set up, turned off the 6 thingy and it still won't sleep when set on 1 minute.

Now what?

Sorry.
Heh. Welcome Rockitdoc. No worries, mate! We all are throwing out what works for us but there is no "one solution" for all. It is best to read all of the posts in this long, longer, and getting longest post as some other things can bite you that you did not know about, like the "Media sharing" bug.

First, you have to wait up to 5-10 minutes sometimes before the computer will sleep using the "1 minute" timer. Do not expect immediate results. Next is to check if it still is a connection issue by turning off the LAN adapter as I previously posted. That will pin it down to a specific few things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Ok, here is my problem with sleep that I have been struggling with since I first installed Win8. BTW, I NEVER set up a homegroup.
After a fresh boot, sleep works according to timer and manually. After using a torrent to download something, however, timer sleep fails. Manual still works fine. Only if I cut WIFI will timer sleep work again. Otherwise I either have to log off and on again or restart the computer. I believe I have tried pretty much all the advise that I have come across over the past month and a half. Nothing works!
One other thing, I never had this problem on Win7!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB DDR5
    Hard Drives
    2tb
Ok, here is my problem with sleep that I have been struggling with since I first installed Win8. BTW, I NEVER set up a homegroup.
After a fresh boot, sleep works according to timer and manually. After using a torrent to download something, however, timer sleep fails. Manual still works fine. Only if I cut WIFI will timer sleep work again. Otherwise I either have to log off and on again or restart the computer. I believe I have tried pretty much all the advise that I have come across over the past month and a half. Nothing works!
One other thing, I never had this problem on Win7!

Prism, welcome to Windows 8 forums. While you are here, check out the tutorials, a lot of good info there.

Well, you know your issue lies either with networking or the internet. I had an issue once where there was a hung update by MS that prevented sleep (unhide any hidden updates). Do you log onto Microsoft Live when you log in? If not, try logging in and see if sleep occurs or visa/versa. Your computer probably has sharing enabled (it's by default) so the old "no sleep when media sharing" may be enabled. Make sure to go through all of these posts here (and yes there are a lot) and see if any of them helps.

I wonder if NOT setting up a homegroup causes an issue?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Prism, welcome to Windows 8 forums. While you are here, check out the tutorials, a lot of good info there.

Well, you know your issue lies either with networking or the internet. I had an issue once where there was a hung update by MS that prevented sleep (unhide any hidden updates). Do you log onto Microsoft Live when you log in? If not, try logging in and see if sleep occurs or visa/versa. Your computer probably has sharing enabled (it's by default) so the old "no sleep when media sharing" may be enabled. Make sure to go through all of these posts here (and yes there are a lot) and see if any of them helps.

I wonder if NOT setting up a homegroup causes an issue?

John, thanks for the quick reply. The "triggering" event in my case is launching bittorrent and actually using it to download something. For some reason that breaks the timer sleep until I either cut wifi access, log out and log back in or restart.
By MS Live do you mean logging in through my MS cloud account? If so, yes, I do! Should I really switch on homegroup even if I dont have anything to share with?

TIA!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    2tb
Prism, dang! Unusual problem. What is your torrent program? I am running Utorrent and that seems OK. Do you really kill the torrent (Alt-F exit) or just close the window? If the torrent is still alive, it will prevent sleep. Check your notification icons and make sure the torrent icon is not hidden.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Prism, dang! Unusual problem. What is your torrent program? I am running Utorrent and that seems OK. Do you really kill the torrent (Alt-F exit) or just close the window? If the torrent is still alive, it will prevent sleep. Check your notification icons and make sure the torrent icon is not hidden.

Good point, will try it out. Will also test uTorrent (have been on bittorrent until now).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    2tb
uTorrent usually keeps your system alive by default, there ought to be settings for that in the preferences panel.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
It seems bizarre that in this day and age with the supposedly modern architecture of Win 8.1, there is no overriding sleep function that would ignore all and every request to keep the computer awake!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    2tb
I have the same problem with my freshly installed Windows 8.1 on all my systems.

After looking for a solution on the Internet, I found one program I used that kept it awake, and I also discovered something weird.

First thing, the program that kept my main PC awake, was VirtualBox. When you use it with the Bridge Network Driver installed, the PC won't go to sleep, and when you force it to sleep, it awakens and crashes your Windows installation. Only a reset can recover from this. After removing VirtualBox, my PC went to sleep. I thought I had found the solution. ;)

The next day, I noticed something else. During the day, my PC went to sleep a few times as it should be because I was working on my Laptop and it had reached its idle time for sleep mode. And then it happened, a good hour before I went to sleep, I had to check my E-mails on my main PC and after this, it didn't go to sleep until I forced it to sleep.

After this, I looked further into the problem and found something weird.

I have three machines running Windows 8.1 in my Homegroup. And the thing I noticed was that my PC's went to sleep but not all of them.

When PC1 and PC2 goes to sleep, PC3 stays awake. However, When PC2 and PC3 goes to sleep, its PC1 that stays awake.

It's always the last one awake that doesn't want to go to sleep mode.

I seems that as long as the PC's can find another PC awake in the network, they can go to sleep. But the moment that one of them is the only one awake, some process starts in Windows Homegroup that keeps the PC awake. Maybe it tries to find another PC every so often what makes the PC stays awake.

I don't know enough of the inner-workings of Windows to find a solution, but I hope that someone with enough knowledge can do something with this.

Now that I know this, it isn't that bad, because normally it's always my laptop that is on the longest and I always us a Shutdown before I go to sleep myself. ;)

However, my main PC always awakens in the morning to do some tasks and then it stays awake until I start using my laptop.

Saw it this morning. ;) I had set that my main PC should awake at 5am and when I woke up at 9am, my PC was still awake. I started my laptop and it took only a few minutes before my main PC went into sleep-mode.

So, the things I noticed I can repeat as often as I want. It's always the last one that doesn't want to go to sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have three machines running Windows 8.1 in my Homegroup. And the thing I noticed was that my PC's went to sleep but not all of them.

When PC1 and PC2 goes to sleep, PC3 stays awake. However, When PC2 and PC3 goes to sleep, its PC1 that stays awake.

It's always the last one awake that doesn't want to go to sleep mode.

I seems that as long as the PC's can find another PC awake in the network, they can go to sleep. But the moment that one of them is the only one awake, some process starts in Windows Homegroup that keeps the PC awake. Maybe it tries to find another PC every so often what makes the PC stays awake.

Rudy, welcome and thanks for joining in on the discussion. You and I are experiencing the same problem. It's the wierdest thing. I know that sleep is set up correctly because each computer will sleep on its own accord as long as it is not the last one on the network to sleep. The first two computers sleep perfectly. However, the last computer (could be PC 1, 2 or 3 depending on whichever one was used last), simply does not sleep.

Like you, this is where my expertise ends. I just simply don't know what process or service could be causing it. I'm hoping someone here could point us in the right direction!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    32 GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX TITAN
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q 27" overclocked to 85Hz
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB;
    Western Digital Black 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200i
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    Custom Water Loops
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19S
    Mouse
    Logitech G700S
    Other Info
    Yes, I just LOVE this system!! I've never had anything this nice, ever. It may take me a year to pay it off, but it was soooo worth it.
I just stumbled on a whole range of updated windows 8.1 drivers for my Dell and installed them promptly hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately not! This is incredibly frustrating, my Macbook Pro running the newly released OS 10.9 is literally light years ahead!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    2tb
I just stumbled on a whole range of updated windows 8.1 drivers for my Dell and installed them promptly hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately not! This is incredibly frustrating, my Macbook Pro running the newly released OS 10.9 is literally light years ahead!

You have my sympathy, I also tried the latest drivers from my mainboard manufacturer which made no change. And as for you, my Macbook upgraded smoothly to OS X Maverick without compromising any of the existing functionality.

Do you have homegroup disabled and does it sleep then? Same question for disabling the ethernet adapter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

You have my sympathy, I also tried the latest drivers from my mainboard manufacturer which made no change. And as for you, my Macbook upgraded smoothly to OS X Maverick without compromising any of the existing functionality.

Do you have homegroup disabled and does it sleep then? Same question for disabling the ethernet adapter.

Steve, I never activated homegroup, does that count as equivalent to disabling? As for the ethernet adapter, switching the wifi transmitter does the trick for me which suggests that Windows 8.1 is overriding sleep because of a connection through wifi. Now is that a connection within my network or outside, I dont know. Nerve wrecking to say the least!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    2tb
I should think so, but to be sure you can check in your network settings (by right clicking on the network icon in your system tray, opening the network and sharing center and then clicking on advanced sharing settings) whether it says "Allow windows to manage homegroup connections" or "Use user accounts...".

It seems we are in the same boat. I assume it is outside connections as I have checked how the PC responds when all other devices in my LAN are off. Wireshark could perhaps shed light on the culprit communications and I have it installed, yet I do not have the expertise for this kind of detective work. Can anybody help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Solution?

Ok. I used S3 sleep state on Win7, Win8 and never had problem, until I installed Win8.1 Preview, now the same problem happend on full release of Win8.1. A problem was that PC went to sleep, but then imediately ~1s waked-up. The major cause of this problem was uTorrent, but not always. Sometimes some other programs trigered imediate wake-up calls. Wake on lan in BIOS was disabled, but that didn't helped.
Anyway, after getting sick of this *******, I looked to network adapter properties, found few options called "wake on xxxx" and disabled them. Look image below
8utk.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Stipa, welcome to the Windows 8 Forum! Check out the tutorials when you have a chance. Great stuff there.

I do not have the Wake on LAN in my properties but I had also turned off my "allow this device to wake the computer."
2013-10-31_084738.jpg

There was one suggestion from the Technet forums about disabling this under services:

2013-10-31_084958.jpg

Knock on wood but since I fixed all errant folders in all of my Homegroup folders, sleep has been working great on all three computers.

EDIT: NO FIX. After a couple of days, the computer was awake again.

EDIT 2013-12-28 This did not fix the problem. For me, a MS update on Dec 11th fixed it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Stipa, that's probably a possible solution if as you say the problem is that the PC is waken up from sleep. However, after days of monitoring of the issue at hand I can say that at least in my case the PC does not reach sleep state in the first place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Stipa, that's probably a possible solution if as you say the problem is that the PC is waken up from sleep. However, after days of monitoring of the issue at hand I can say that at least in my case the PC does not reach sleep state in the first place.

That is also my problem, getting the machine to actually sleep. Once it enters sleep mode, it stays that way unless I wake it up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8500 LE
    Memory
    12 gb
    Graphics Card(s)