Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

So it's not just me then :rolleyes:

I have 2x 8.1 Pro x64 machines. One is my main rig and the other is a file server.

Sleep does work sometimes on the file server but most of the time not. I have had auto sleep occur with AND without Homegroup/IPV6.

I have 6 drives in the file server shared with my main rig. This is all that is shared.

Even a reboot of the file server will not induce sleep after a period of insomnia. One thing I have noticed is that a registry clean using CCleaner has twice induced auto-sleep to work again albeit temporarily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus Gene V [Z77]
    Memory
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 2133MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC 2GB
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA HDMI ¬ Sony STR-DN1030
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
HI guys!
I was also having the same problem for weeks but then I found the fix (as I think)
Its actually the network adapter that you choose for your Virtual Machine.
When you disable it, you are disconnected to the Virtual M network adapter and so any contact between your network adapter and that VM network adapter is lost.
One more thing you can try is to end any process that is related to VM, in my case its the VM interface. ;)
After that put the pc to sleep and it will.
OR you can also try to uninstall the adapter from the advance adapter settings located in "network and sharing centre"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
HI guys!
I was also having the same problem for weeks but then I found the fix (as I think)
When you disable it, you are disconnected to the Virtual M network adapter and so any contact between your network adapter and that VM network adapter is lost.
One more thing you can try is to end any process that is related to VM, in my case its the VM interface. ;)
OR you can also try to uninstall the adapter from the advance adapter settings located in "network and sharing centre"

Which VM Software are you referring to? I used to have VMWare Player, uninstalled it after my PC manifested these insomnia issues with the arrival of 8.1, and then reinstalled it because I concluded it was unrelated. HOWEVER, in the meantime there have been the 8.1 December updates and some (including John) report that the issue went away for them. I will try another uninstall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
HI guys!

I'm a little confused . . . I don't have a virtual machine so I wouldn't have a network adapter for same, right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I don't want to be out of place, but I just left the Home Group & my computer goes to sleep as scheduled.

I'm not on a network.
Just one computer at home.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I have Virtual Box and i'm talking about that but you can see for any VM software that might have made its own network adapter installed.so you just want to remove it.:D
Whenever you install a virtual machine you have to set the network adapter settings.I installed Windows 98 in Virtual box and it installed its own network adapter to work for the VM.
You can also try going to the device manager and looking for network devices that you don't know and so you can uninstall them from there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
I have Virtual Box and i'm talking about that but you can see for any VM software that might have made its own network adapter installed.so you just want to remove it.:D
Whenever you install a virtual machine you have to set the network adapter settings.I installed Windows 98 in Virtual box and it installed its own network adapter to work for the VM.
You can also try going to the device manager and looking for network devices that you don't know and so you can uninstall them from there.

I have VirtualBox installed as well! With the current version, I don't have any problems anymore with Windows 8.1.

When 8.1 came out, there was a problem with it, but since then, Oracle has fixed it. My PC even goes to sleep when one of the VM are on, with the VM Network driver installed as a Bridged network adapter.

And this is just an update for the others:

Iolo System Mechanics has also been updated for Windows 8.1 and it's back running and cleaning my PC like before. The only thing I can't activate, is System Guard. If I activate this option, then my Multi Media sharing breaks down. Maybe, Iolo thinks that it is a waste of resources, because that's what System Guard controls, and so, it shuts it down. Well, in fact, in shuts Windows Search down, where Windows Media sharing is depended upon.

I can still confirm that since I found my initial fix for my PC's sleep problem, everything is working fine.

The only two things I still keep deactivated, are Homegroup and the IPv6 support at my Network Driver. (My ISP doesn't support IPv6, so I don't need it for now.)

And, of course, I updated my Network Driver to the most current version and I also needed to update my Graphic Driver, which was something Microsoft updated again through Windows Update a month later. So, it was a general and known problem, it seems, else Microsoft wouldn't have send out an update for it.

However, it can be said that the sleep function in Windows 8.1 is fragile. If just one little thing is not completely Windows 8.1 ready, it can break it down. The trouble is, there are so many drivers and other stuff installed on PC's, that you need a miracle to find it. Because the real cause doesn't show up in any log files you use.

Now, I did hear that Microsoft is planning to introduce something new, concerning power management, so if we all are lucky, they will rewrite this part of the OS and make it more stable and fix the problems for everyone. Although, this won't be added until Windows 9, I believe. (Read it in some article on the net, doesn't know where anymore. I absorb information, but I often don't remember the source after a while. :))

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well I found a fix for my server.

Deleted Win 8.1 and put a copy of Vista Business x64 on! This isn't really a problem as the server is headless and it's only role is to stream mkv's to XBMC on my HTPC. I'm disappointed 8.1 doesn't work though (also tried 8).

Not sure whether the hardware in the server could be to blame? (Intel G45 mobo, Core Pentium, 4gb DDR2, 2007 Antec PSU) however there was the odd time when the machine went to sleep as expected.

That's the infuriating part, if it works - fine, if it never works - fine, working intermittently making it impossible to find the root cause? NOT FINE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus Gene V [Z77]
    Memory
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 2133MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC 2GB
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA HDMI ¬ Sony STR-DN1030
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
New Idea?

Seems to me that my desktop Windows 8.1 will sleep automatically if I don't use ccleaner or malwarebytes scan. Using malwarebytes real-time protection is OK.

I've yet to fully confirm this, but it sure looks like one of these programs is causing the problem. Once I've done a malwarebytes on-demand scan and ccleaner cleanup, my computer will no longer sleep automatically until I reboot.

I'm trying to figure out which of these programs is causing the problem, but I'm pretty sure it's one of them. I suspect many others on this forum use these programs as well.

I agree that this doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't explain why these programs would interfere with automatic sleep. All I can tell you is that this looks promising. My computer seems to automatically sleep repeatedly as long as I don't run them on demand. I will update you after I try avoiding use of these programs for a few days.

What do you guys think, is this a new idea? I've followed this forum for quite a while, and I've tried pretty much all the other stuff without success.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Nah, Ccleaner and MBAM have no effect.

I use both on all of my machines; CC many times a day.

It's drivers. Always drivers.

Anyone that wants me to check their system out about it, just force a bsod from the kb (google how to) then look at Brink's sticky thread in the BSOD section about how to collect logs and post them.

Anyone trying to fix this issue: The first step in troubleshooting should always be to remove 3rd party security software and don't try to take the easy way out with just disabling because that will not help. (Them damn software programs make you work lol.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
I've already disproven my own theory. You're right, it's not malwarebytes or ccleaner causing this problem.

If you like your utilities, you can keep your utilities. Period.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Seems to me that my desktop Windows 8.1 will sleep automatically if I don't use ccleaner or malwarebytes scan. Using malwarebytes real-time protection is OK.

I don't use Ccleaner or Malwarebytes, so those would not be a suspect in my case. I'm pretty sure that would also be the case for quite a large number of Windows 8/8.1 users.

Edit: BTW, since you seem to be new to the forum, I have had Windows 8.1 on two computers, but after a "crash and burn" I removed it from my main computer and stored the other one pending a move to another state. I am beginning to be tempted to install it on one of my laptops . . . just to see what happens.

Windows 8 sleeps just fine. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I too am finding out that Win8.1 sleep is "fragile" as a poster aptly put it. 90% of the time it works fine, every once in a while I find it awake after it had been asleep or still not asleep. Usually a restart (I have fast bootup unchecked- something to keep in mind when you are rebooting), gets it to go back into proper operation. Valve's Steam MIGHT have something to do with my particular issue but no way can I prove it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
every once in a while I find it awake after it had been asleep or still not asleep.

Look at Task Scheduler. The instant I install any Windows, one of the first things I do it delete all Customer Improvement Program entries (Microsoft | Windows | Customer Improvement Program). I also delete all Microsoft Office entries after I install that. Ccleaner does put an entry there too now that I think about it, and I delete that too (but it will not prevent from sleep - only wake it up if it already is sleeping etc...)

I would advise to delete everything found that is not necessary. There's always Google or here if unsure.

Maybe it's even more helpful if I show a screenshot of my machine for others to compare to, even though I am on Windows 7 now:

Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
MasterChief, here's what I don't get. If drivers are the problem, why does my system sleep automatically several times after a reboot ... then something happens, and it just won't sleep automatically anymore until I reboot. It will always sleep on demand.

Can you account for such behavior?

I have an old motherboard GA-EP45-UD3R and Gigabyte doesn't offer any Windows 8 drivers. I have put on the latest Realtek Ethernet driver and the latest driver for my Nvidia GTX660 TI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Can you account for such behavior?

Best I can do is to give a possible reason: Have you been playing around switching themes?

Other than that, you can run the tool above and attach results. I often pick out likely candidates. At worst, experimenting to find causes is not as bad as it sounds, if you are an enthusiast. I'm guessing you are since most that frequent this website and ones like it are.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
Found my problem or at least a temporary fix. Charms bar > PC Settings > Network > Connections > Under "WiFi" tapped my Belkin wireless adaptor and turned off "Find PCs, Devices, and content". Personally I don't need a network right now. I realize this is not an ultimate solution, but it works for me at the moment. The old Acer sleeps like a baby. :)

Find Devices Snip.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
related to Hibernation?

Hi, my laptop also won't go to sleep at times. My version of this problem(and solutions attempted):

laptop: Asus eee PC 1201n (made in 2009)
Windows 8.1

Boot machine, sleeps normally
If I ever hibernate the machine, after it wakes from hibernation it won't automatically sleep ever again(screen-off works automatically, but not sleep). Please note when I say hibernation it's the actual windows hibernate-data saved to memory, all powers off.
If I turn off all internet connections, it will automatically sleep again.
If I reboot, it will also automatically sleep again
If I ever hibernate, problem resumes

So something about hibernation causes a network problem which prevents auto-sleeping, and can be fixed by turning off all internet connections.

Solutions attempted:
Leaving homegroup and disabling network sharing
Disabling IPV6
checking all powercfg requests

Does anyone else have this issue tied up with hibernation?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back