Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Maybe there is a solution.

I found in many threads and also in my only experiences hints, that the "not-automatically-going-to-sleep problem" seem to be connected to network issues. In my case, I found a temporary improvement by deactivating the virtual vmware network adapters in the device manager. Because this was only a temporary solution (working for some hours) I looked for a more substantial way. I took a look into the services list and found the NLA service (Network Location Awareness). Restarting this service (which automatically included restart of three further services) solved the problem immediately: my PC went into sleep mode after the defined time and he did it since then several times.

Nevertheless I assume, that also this solution will only work temporarily, for what reasons ever. Therefore I looked for a way to automate restarting of the NLA service. This is possible by the in the cmd-window (started as Admin!) with the following codes:

net stop NlaSvc
net start NlaSvc

I also wrote a batch file:

Echo on (to observe batch processing)
net stop NlaSvc /y ( "y" to answer the upcoming call back automatically)
ping -n 5 localhost > NUL (to observe the feedback on the net stop request)

A "start net" command seems not to be neccessary, because NLA Svc seems to be restarted automatically by Windows.

If this procedure will further work satisfying, my next step will be to create a Windows task to run the restart automatically each hour or so.

Would be interesting, if somebody could try, whether this works also on other maschines. But be carefull and ensure you have system restore point, system backup etc.!

Karl

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
@Karl, this sounds brilliant and like the best thing I've read in this thread in a long time. Please let us know how this works for you. It will be interesting to find the right interval length between each new run of the batch file. This would not be a perfect cure, but still an acceptable therapy to Windows 8.1's disease!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Karl, Welcome to Eightforums! Check out the tutorials on the site for some terrific help files.

Thanks for the post. Interesting about Network Location Awareness. It LOOKS like it is used to tell if you have moved from a private to a public network type service:
Network Location Awareness

In the meantime, the NLA service can be permanently disabled in the services menu:

2014-01-11_172314.jpg

I donno what effect it will have on the computer tho nor if it is a fix for the sleep issue. Someone give it a try and see how badly it breaks your computer, heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Interesting about Network Location Awareness. It LOOKS like it is used to tell if you have moved from a private to a public network type service:
Network Location Awareness

I do not know the function of this service. My assumption is, that its restart includes some kind of reset, as it is also achieved by disabeling network adapters, windows homegroup or IPv6 adresses (as described in other posts). In other words: Not the service itself might contain the solution, but its restart. Nevertheless: Working with services should be done with the usual care (having system restore points, system backup etc.)!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
Would be interesting, if somebody could try, whether this works also on other maschines. But be carefull and ensure you have system restore point, system backup etc.!

Karl

Karl, I'm a bit confused. Why all the concerns about backup when it appears that you are just stopping a service? It sounds like you feel there is some potential here for something unexpected to happen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

Karl

Karl, I'm a bit confused. Why all the concerns about backup when it appears that you are just stopping a service? It sounds like you feel there is some potential here for something unexpected to happen?

My attemps were successful so far. Maybe other PCs are in a more fragile situation - anyway: working on a complex technical product should always be done carefully.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
Yeah, Karl is weaseling out in case stopping NLA crashes and burns the system. Coward! Heh. Me, I'm fearless (or foolish).
Soo, I disabled NLA in services. The computer boots fine but the network notification icon shows "limited access". The internet works fine and I could talk to a Homegroup computer that was booted. HOWEVER, booting up another Homegroup computer, my machine would not recognized that it was on the network. NLA looks for changes in the network and reports that to operating system. NLA needs to be running for proper network operation.
Sleeping with NLA off did not do any better or worse than with it on. It did NOT make the computer go to sleep any faster. Of course, my computer has been sleeping fine since the MS update on 2013-12-11.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Mine has been entering sleep for at least a week now after the intel audio driver update. Only problem is that something is going on at night that causes insomnia once again in the morning until a fresh reboot. A cursory look through the logs hasn't revealed anything so far and best I can tell there aren't any tasks enabled that are configured to wake the machine. If anyone has spotted anything that happens in the night to look out for I would appreciate a reply.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
A cursory look through the logs hasn't revealed anything so far and best I can tell there aren't any tasks enabled that are configured to wake the machine. If anyone has spotted anything that happens in the night to look out for I would appreciate a reply.

Have you checked Windows automatic maintenance settings? Normally this will wake up the PC in the middle of the night to run the maintenance. Having the problem described in this thread, you will find the PC active next morning. The settings are described here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...-change-maintenance-settings-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
A cursory look through the logs hasn't revealed anything so far and best I can tell there aren't any tasks enabled that are configured to wake the machine. If anyone has spotted anything that happens in the night to look out for I would appreciate a reply.

Have you checked Windows automatic maintenance settings? Normally this will wake up the PC in the middle of the night to run the maintenance. Having the problem described in this thread, you will find the PC active next morning. The settings are described here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...-change-maintenance-settings-windows-8-a.html

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I reviewed the maintenance settings but I'll read the post and recheck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

I think Karl is very careful . . . some of us charge ahead without thinking things through (that's me sometimes), and if we should hit a wrong key or click on the wrong item/object/line . . .

OK, so if we accidentally do something wrong and can't correct it because we don't know exactly what we did to get there, that's when system restore would come in. So, yeah, there may be a potential for something unexpected.

Being careful to create restore points is, in my opinion, the smart thing to do when messing around in the innards of computers if we don't want to :cry: all over the place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Greetings all,

I am a new 8.1 user and have been having some sleep issues as well, however after some poking around on the net and some experimenting it looks like my issues may be different from the ones most others are experiencing with 8.1.
The first problem I encountered was that I couldn't get my laptop to enter sleep mode by closing the lid or by selecting Sleep in the start menu. The display shuts off, but the power remains on and there is no other activity - as in, Windows doesn't even log me out. As soon as I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard, it comes back to life and it's really just as if I had pressed a button to shut off the screen when in reality I had wanted to put it in sleep mode. I admit I haven't read all 64 pages of this thread, but I read through the first 20, and maybe the last 10, and I fiddled around with some of the strategies you folks suggested, but none of it seemed to work.

Then something caught me by surprise. Long story short, I discovered that the computer will go to sleep when it's supposed to if left idle for the amount of time stipulated in the power plan. From what I've read it appears that what's causing the most trouble for many 8.1 users is getting the computer to go to sleep on its own. Well, mine will go to sleep if I leave it alone, but it won't go to sleep when I ask it to. Go figure. On a hunch I tried unplugging it from the mains to see if it would go to sleep when running on battery power. Lo and behold, when I pressed the sleep button, in a mere 10 seconds it was dozing peacefully with the power light blinking to tell me so!

So I can't help thinking that maybe my issue is something so simple I've overlooked it in the time I've spent messing around with the network settings and command prompts. That said, I've looked through the power options and I can't find any plausible reason why the computer wouldn't sleep while plugged in but has no issues while running on the battery. (For the record my laptop is a Toshiba P70-A, I just bought it last week to replace a faulty Asus X75VB that Asus Taiwan STILL has not got around to replacing for me even though it's been nearly 5 weeks and they said the replacement would ship in 1 to 2 weeks... but that's a whole different nightmare.)

George P.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite P70-A
    CPU
    Intel i7 4700 2.4GHz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M
    Sound Card
    Conexant SmartAudio HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 1TB internal HD
    WD My Passport SE external HD
    Keyboard
    Logitech K360
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    Supposedly 100.0mbps ADSL
    Browser
    Firefox/Chrome
Greetings all,

I am a new 8.1 user and have been having some sleep issues as well, however after some poking around on the net and some experimenting it looks like my issues may be different from the ones most others are experiencing with 8.1.
The first problem I encountered was that I couldn't get my laptop to enter sleep mode by closing the lid or by selecting Sleep in the start menu. The display shuts off, but the power remains on and there is no other activity - as in, Windows doesn't even log me out. As soon as I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard, it comes back to life and it's really just as if I had pressed a button to shut off the screen when in reality I had wanted to put it in sleep mode. I admit I haven't read all 64 pages of this thread, but I read through the first 20, and maybe the last 10, and I fiddled around with some of the strategies you folks suggested, but none of it seemed to work.

Then something caught me by surprise. Long story short, I discovered that the computer will go to sleep when it's supposed to if left idle for the amount of time stipulated in the power plan. From what I've read it appears that what's causing the most trouble for many 8.1 users is getting the computer to go to sleep on its own. Well, mine will go to sleep if I leave it alone, but it won't go to sleep when I ask it to. Go figure. On a hunch I tried unplugging it from the mains to see if it would go to sleep when running on battery power. Lo and behold, when I pressed the sleep button, in a mere 10 seconds it was dozing peacefully with the power light blinking to tell me so!

So I can't help thinking that maybe my issue is something so simple I've overlooked it in the time I've spent messing around with the network settings and command prompts. That said, I've looked through the power options and I can't find any plausible reason why the computer wouldn't sleep while plugged in but has no issues while running on the battery. (For the record my laptop is a Toshiba P70-A, I just bought it last week to replace a faulty Asus X75VB that Asus Taiwan STILL has not got around to replacing for me even though it's been nearly 5 weeks and they said the replacement would ship in 1 to 2 weeks... but that's a whole different nightmare.)

George P.

The majority of us have problems related to the computer not sleeping when left alone! Many of us are using desktop - not laptop - computers that require power. When left alone to sleep, they fail to sleep. Perhaps you need to read the remainder of the forum messages and see what a nightmare this is for us!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ibuypower
    CPU
    AMD PhenomII x 6 T1100T 3.3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology GA 890GPA UD3H
    Memory
    16 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD6900 Series
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security Suite
Silver, welcome to the eightforums!
laptops have a distinct power scheme than do desktops. When you close the lid, it does what its specified in the advanced sleep settings in the power settings. that could include, hibernation, hybrid sleep, sleep, or shutdown according to whether you are on battery or not. You need to read carefully the owners manual to see how you manufacturers have the power settings set up and set it to what you want to happen. Sleep (S3?) is fine if you are plugged in but hibernate/shutdown is best if you are on battery. I don't believe you are having any issue more than proper setting of the power states in the control panel.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Can anyone tell me what's going on with my logs? At 12:24 I manually sent my pc into sleep. It entered sleep normally as indicated by the blinking processor light. I waited a few seconds and hit a key to wake the machine. It woke up and I logged in at around 12:24 pm. In the log I've attached the kernel-general event is the clock sync which is followed by the MEI-x64 event which is the startup of the management engine.

Where is the sleep, wake, and actual login events? I see these events in other places in the log but why are they often times not being recorded in the logs? Is there a setting in the logs that I'm missing? This is very strange. It's really going to be difficult to pin down sleep issues without a reliable system log.

Update: the "new events available on the log" was an unrelated skype service apparently starting

Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
NCguy, use the sleep button or other means to sleep your computer while your log is still showing. You will then see what events are recorded when the computer sleeps and wakes up. Mine seemed to be these:

2014-01-14_141258.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
johnpombrio, those events that I posted were the only events on a forced sleep. The computer did enter sleep. For some reason the kernel-power and power-troubleshooter events just aren't being posted to the log or for some reason they aren't displaying. I have seen them post in the log in the past (possibly prior to 8.1 upgrade) but for some reason they aren't in there now?

Very puzzling and I'm not sure what my next troubleshooting step needs to be to get the logs working correctly?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I see that Microsoft has a few updates for windows 8.1. Are we going to have any luck??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    hp all in one envy23
Back