Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

So with the scheduled maintenance apps is there something peculiar about them that the computer won't enter sleep again if they were awakened by the maintenance task?

It's logical to me, NC, mainly because my friend said he turned it off and his computer now sleeps. Those in the private group I got this info from are all much, much, much (ad infinitum) more knowledgeable than I.

Logic also tells me this won't be the final solution to the sleep problem in Windows 8.1. While I was using Windows 8.1, turning off the power options allowed my computer to sleep, but in the long run was much more inconvenient than a computer with insomnia.

As you know, fiddling with networking sometimes solves the problem . . . and we can go on and on and on . . .

Bottom line is that Microsoft got it wrong, and so far, none of us have stumbled upon the actual solution; maybe some one will trip over it in the near future. Or, maybe someone on the Windows Team at Microsoft will beat us to it. Whichever way it turns out, I wish they would hurry up. :huh: I'd really like to go ahead and put Windows 8.1 back on this system, but I'll hold off for awhile longer.

To start I agree that the sleep function is important and it has serious issues with 8.1. My guess is that there are many issues and I still think that while Microsoft will make tweaks that they will also continue to rebrake it making it an ongoing problem.

I accept that maintenance does wake the device and then it won't reenter sleep. Im just wondering why it won't reenter sleep and why scheduling the tasks for day rather than night allows it to perform the same maintenance but subsequently sleep. Why does it day sleep but not night sleep?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I accept that maintenance does wake the device and then it won't reenter sleep. Im just wondering why it won't reenter sleep and why scheduling the tasks for day rather than night allows it to perform the same maintenance but subsequently sleep. Why does it day sleep but not night sleep?

My friend said, "I changed that to some time in the day when I would be on the computer." I'm assuming he did something to put the computer back to sleep after the tasks were run and he was away from the computer any length of time. Otherwise, as you suggest, it just wouldn't make sense that the computer would go back to sleep when it was supposed to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My friend said, "I changed that to some time in the day when I would be on the computer." I'm assuming he did something to put the computer back to sleep after the tasks were run and he was away from the computer any length of time. Otherwise, as you suggest, it just wouldn't make sense that the computer would go back to sleep when it was supposed to.

Either what you said or possibly if the computer is already awake when maintenance starts then maybe it will subsequently enter sleep on its own? Maybe it's the process of wake from sleep and not the task itself that's the cause?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Like others, I think that there are multiple factors involved which explains why no one affected seems to have an answer that works for everyone and why some "solutions" don't stick.

My comp pretty reliably sleeps after 28 sec. This time lag I have experienced several times in my attempts to find the elusive "answer". This still indicates that the problem still exists as the proper timeout should be no longer than 0-6 sec. And it should do this every time not just when it feels like it.

One thing I have found pretty consistently is that it will slam dunk to sleep mode if it is running a youtube video from IE11 or Firefox when the sleep timer cuts in. Screen cut and sleep occur at the same time. Could someone else try this to see whether there is a pattern? I set screen and sleep to 1 min.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Just checked a Vista machine while it was running a YT clip. The screen will blank while playing but the video keeps going. When the video stops, the comp sleeps after about 8-10 sec.

To my way of thinking, both the screen and video should signal the power system to keep awake till the clip stops. Really looks a bit shambolic, overall. Wonder how MS decided on these 'rules'?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Just checked a Vista machine while it was running a YT clip. The screen will blank while playing but the video keeps going. When the video stops, the comp sleeps after about 8-10 sec.

To my way of thinking, both the screen and video should signal the power system to keep awake till the clip stops. Really looks a bit shambolic, overall. Wonder how MS decided on these 'rules'?

I have found that when downloading in Windows 7, the computer will go to sleep mid-download and won't restart until I wake the computer up. In the past, when I started a large download, I would always change the power settings to "never sleep". I'm going to start a large download again tomorrow, so I'll watch to see what happens with Windows 8. I have done large downloads with Win 8, but have usually been using the computer during downloads, and can't remember an unattended download.

I'll see what happens tomorrow . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Like others, I think that there are multiple factors involved which explains why no one affected seems to have an answer that works for everyone and why some "solutions" don't stick.

My comp pretty reliably sleeps after 28 sec. This time lag I have experienced several times in my attempts to find the elusive "answer". This still indicates that the problem still exists as the proper timeout should be no longer than 0-6 sec. And it should do this every time not just when it feels like it.

One thing I have found pretty consistently is that it will slam dunk to sleep mode if it is running a youtube video from IE11 or Firefox when the sleep timer cuts in. Screen cut and sleep occur at the same time. Could someone else try this to see whether there is a pattern? I set screen and sleep to 1 min.

Linw, There may be some confusion between sleep and hibernation or a hybird/sleep combo (if there is such an animal) with your machine. Hibernation needs to store the state of the machine in memory onto the hard drive so that it can start up with everything to where it was. Sleep just keeps memory alive so no need to store anything. See if your hard drive light stays lit all the time before finally going to sleep. If it does, then SOMETHING is being stored on the drive for some unknown reason. As for the delay, who cares? As long as it sleeps, you are ahead of the game. Heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I have found that when downloading in Windows 7, the computer will go to sleep mid-download and won't restart until I wake the computer up. In the past, when I started a large download, I would always change the power settings to "never sleep". I'm going to start a large download again tomorrow, so I'll watch to see what happens with Windows 8. I have done large downloads with Win 8, but have usually been using the computer during downloads, and can't remember an unattended download.

I'll see what happens tomorrow . . .

OK, I've downloaded several large files unattended and each time Windows went to sleep, I saw the number of megabytes downloaded so far just before the screen went blank. I waited several minutes and the download had progressed quite far enough that I knew Windows sleeping didn't make a difference. Although the computer was asleep, the download progressed. All downloads finished.

I know others have said a sleeping computer has no influence on stopping the download in Windows 7, but I have never had a successful download without telling Windows 7 to stay awake and to not go to sleep.

Of course, this is in Windows 8. I no longer have Windows 8.1 on this system. The next test will be with Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
@John. I never use hibernation. My HDD light always shows some light activity but have no idea what it is doing. And while my comp does usually sleep, I just know it is not right because of the variable lag and the fact that it ignores the power requests while playing YT clips. (The requests list shows IE and Flash Player wanting to hold the display and under SYSTEM, the audio stream has a request in).

When the power system gets to a trigger point, it sends notification of an impending shutdown to apps and device drivers in case they need to take some action. Maybe one or more are not responding in our affected systems? Would maybe explain why there are only some comps affected.

Thought I would stop wasting my time on this but it still bugs me bigtime!!

Good reference here Power Management (Windows)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Linw, I hear you! I know ALL ABOUT the damn Power management as it pertains to sleep (I even have it bookmarked) but for the life of me could not figure out why there was sometimes a 2 -5 minute lag in the sleep cycle. I checked logs, did tests, and found only one thing, hybrid sleep, that seemed to fit the bill.

Perhaps we should just say that Win8.1 is doing a new "extra-special" backup and shutting down critical settings of networking settings before going to sleep that Win8 did not do. This would explain the lag that is now there. TADA, you no longer have to worry about the lag! And may be true! Now you can sleep at night and no longer work on the issue. Heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I hear you, John, but I still can't reconcile the clear and distinct differences I see in sleep time delays. If good works are being done prior to sleeping, how do we explain the always immediate sleeps when using the keyboard sleep button, or using the charms/settings/sleep 'button' or using a software call or when watching a YT clip??

And any form of hybrid sleep seems to me to be there to save us from ourselves e.g. to save documents etc that are open. But when no applications are open?? In any event, the odd save doesn't take minutes.

Just doesn't make logical sense to me.

BTW, anyone tried to replicate my instant sleep while watching YT clips? Would be curious to see whether it is just my comp that displays this behaviour.

Like I have said before, this one really needs logging tools that show what events/drivers are registered, what notifications are being sent, what replies are coming back etc etc. Me playing 'pin the tail on the donkey' ain't cutting it!!

Cheers and best wishes and hope you guys aren't in a frozen state. Penguins and polar bears having to be taken indoors??!!. Wow.

Lindsay.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Just a beginner

At the risk of demonstrating my substantial lack of knowledge...
I saw your question and it reminded me of a similar dilemma I had a while ago. I eventually solved it by changing the Power states in the bios. I think I changed it from S1 to S3 (or was it the other way around?). I didn't have the time to wade through all the multitude of answers but I thought I'd bung in my pennys worth anyway.
;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Build
    CPU
    AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8150
    Motherboard
    GA-990FXA-UD3 - Gigabyte
    Memory
    16 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7400M Series
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Avast
mickyi, welcome to the Eightforums! Check out the tutorial section where there is a lot of solutions to common Windows 8 needs.

I had forgotten all about having to set the sleep state in BIOS which I used to set to S3 religiously. On my ASUS UEFI super duper BIOS, that is not longer an option that I could find (I just looked through all of the menus). Good for others with older mobos tho. Thanks for the reminder!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
At the risk of demonstrating my substantial lack of knowledge...
I saw your question and it reminded me of a similar dilemma I had a while ago. I eventually solved it by changing the Power states in the bios. I think I changed it from S1 to S3 (or was it the other way around?). I didn't have the time to wade through all the multitude of answers but I thought I'd bung in my pennys worth anyway.
;)

The old BIOS or the new UEFI?

Edit: Looks like the older BIOS, according to John's post (while I was working on mine.) :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hey guys and gals: Looky what was just delivered to moi!

Microsoft forges ahead toward Windows 8.1 Update 1 | ZDNet

Ya think?

This is off topic but it's obvious that Microsoft's attempt to force user exposure to their touch platform via Windows is coming home to roost. Most Windows users hate it and just want a return to a desktop-oriented product once again. From what I'm hearing, the next major release may very well offer a version totally free of the modern apps. The return to the app menu is just a step in that direction. Modern apps aren't going away but in the future looks like they won't be forced any longer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Hey guys and gals: Looky what was just delivered to moi!

Microsoft forges ahead toward Windows 8.1 Update 1 | ZDNet

Ya think?

This is off topic but it's obvious that Microsoft's attempt to force user exposure to their touch platform via Windows is coming home to roost. Most Windows users hate it and just want a return to a desktop-oriented product once again. From what I'm hearing, the next major release may very well offer a version totally free of the modern apps. The return to the app menu is just a step in that direction. Modern apps aren't going away but in the future looks like they won't be forced any longer.

BTW, I don't see this affecting sleep one way or the other except for it may increase the chance for changes since it is a major update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
BTW, I don't see this affecting sleep one way or the other except for it may increase the chance for changes since it is a major update.

Oh drat! That was what I was hoping for. Because to me, the sleep issue is still a deal breaker. Although I turn my computer(s) off at night, during the day I leave them on and if they don't sleep, they use power. Over time, that's a substantial amount of power (multiply my computing habits by all those who do the same) that shouldn't be used.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Oh drat! That was what I was hoping for. Because to me, the sleep issue is still a deal breaker. Although I turn my computer(s) off at night, during the day I leave them on and if they don't sleep, they use power. Over time, that's a substantial amount of power (multiply my computing habits by all those who do the same) that shouldn't be used.

I agree, hate to waste. That said I may have mentioned that my new haswell core I7 12GB ram 4TB, SSD, and 3 video output only uses 30 watts at idle. I measured it and was amazed. Makes me feel a lot better when it won't enter sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL