Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

I have been absent from this thread for a long time and am now trying to catch up with the latest developments.

For me as for magilla, the latest update has not brought any improvement. However, when I log out and stay on the "welcome screen" of windows, the PC sleeps. Same if i disable ethernet of course. Should I conclude that if I mirgrate from a MS to a local account this is the best possible workaround at the moment until MS patches this? Or do I need to disable Skydrive as well?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
7am Christmas day here in NZ so compliments of the season to all. Just wish Microsoft would put on a red suit and white beard to deliver a solution to these problems!

Steve, I really don't think anyone can answer your questions other than to say 'suck it and see'. And even when you think you have an improvement, hopes can be dashed a week (day?) later.

I am on a local account now and I do get sleep happening but it is still erratic, especially the time delay period.

So I am just hoping for a real answer but I am not holding my breath. I am still amazed that MS engineers, with all the tools at their command, can't track this one down. After all, they must know what they changed from 8 to 8.1.

Cheers and best wishes.

Lindsay.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
7am Christmas day here in NZ so compliments of the season to all. Just wish Microsoft would put on a red suit and white beard to deliver a solution to these problems!

Merry Christmas to you too, Lindsay. It's Christmas Eve here and I have to go to the store to get some last minute items for dinner and incidentally, to get trampled more than likely. :p

No white Christmas in Texas, USA, but a very nice and sunny 56° or so today and tomorrow. Can't ask for better than that.

So I am just hoping for a real answer but I am not holding my breath. I am still amazed that MS engineers, with all the tools at their command, can't track this one down. After all, they must know what they changed from 8 to 8.1.

Cheers and best wishes.

Lindsay.

I was told by an HP tech that NumLock is disabled for security reasons, yet, I MUST turn it on if I wish to use the keypad on my keyboard. Oh, yeah, and the top row of numbers on my keyboard work just fine on bootup, so where's the security in that?!?

With logic like this, is it any wonder the engineers can't track the sleep problem down? However, to be fair, there are a LOT of different brands of computers out here. It's a given that the OEM has tweaked Windows 8 (like HP did mine on NumLock), so again, is it any wonder the engineers can't track the problems down?

Maybe we should all give our computer's make, model CPU brand (or self-built with CPU brand) and how SLEEP works OR NOT. I know some of the more guruish of us have an inkling how this is going, but most of us don't.

Whatcha think?

Hoooo Boyyyyyyy! I just checked my system and it says it's the self-built dual boot with an Intel Dual Core, and the rest of the specs to go with it. Sadly, I packed that computer up yesterday and stored it until we get moved to Arkansas (gotta sell out here first).

Guess I'll poke around in my Profile and see if I can change that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Three quick tests

Just a little more data to throw on the pile:

My problem is typical of what has been written on this thread-- "fixes" seem to work for a day or so and then the insomnia starts again; works a little while after reboot; unplugging the network cable works like Ambien.

So I did three quick tests. My PC has not been rebooted for a while, and is not sleeping except when done manually. 1) As a "control" test, I unplugged the network cable and it went to sleep right on time as expected. 2) Woke it up, plugged the cable back in. No sleep. 3) Signed out (which logs me out of the MS account) and left it on the sign-in screen. Went to sleep at the expected time.

So nothing new really for the thread, but it is confirmation to me that my PC (albeit a 2007 vintage HP) is not "special", i.e. it works similarly to many others' here.

John

My Computer

System One

• OS

My problem is typical of what has been written on this thread-- "fixes" seem to work for a day or so and then the insomnia starts again; works a little while after reboot; unplugging the network cable works like Ambien.

So I did three quick tests. My PC has not been rebooted for a while, and is not sleeping except when done manually. 1) As a "control" test, I unplugged the network cable and it went to sleep right on time as expected. 2) Woke it up, plugged the cable back in. No sleep. 3) Signed out (which logs me out of the MS account) and left it on the sign-in screen. Went to sleep at the expected time.

So nothing new really for the thread, but it is confirmation to me that my PC (albeit a 2007 vintage HP) is not "special", i.e. it works similarly to many others' here.

John

Funny that MS came up with a cure for some of us with the last major Win8.1 update but not for all. Just check once a week for updating all your drivers and hope for the best. In the meantime, just manually sleep your computer. Mine seems to be completely cured but I am still in awe that the computer is asleep when I walk by, heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS

John

Funny that MS came up with a cure for some of us with the last major Win8.1 update but not for all. Just check once a week for updating all your drivers and hope for the best. In the meantime, just manually sleep your computer. Mine seems to be completely cured but I am still in awe that the computer is asleep when I walk by, heh.

John, I understand from your post that your PCs now work as intended, i.e. sleep automatically even if perhaps there is still some lag. Can you summarize your settings? Do you use an MS or local account? Is Homegroup and ipv6 on or off? This would be most helpful as the reason why it is fixed for you now since the latest patch and not for others like me is probably a matter of configuration. I would particularly be interested in your Ivy Bridge machine as this is the one I have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Steve, all settings are back to the original default settings. The ONLY machine I had problems with is a Haswell computer, not my other two Ivy bridge machines. Local or log in does not matter, both work. Homegroup is running and I left IP6 alone so that is running. Except for my usual stuff (Hibernation disabled to make room on SSD by getting rid of hibfile.sys, media sharing left to sleep, network and mouse not allowed to wake the computer), I have nothing that I am still using that we tried to fix the problem. It simply works, settings no longer matter except for the usual suspects. Sorry that the upgrade did not help you too.
BTW, I did do a fresh install using a Win8.1 Pro USB thumb drive/ iso tho rather than a update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Steve, all settings are back to the original default settings. The ONLY machine I had problems with is a Haswell computer, not my other two Ivy bridge machines. Local or log in does not matter, both work. Homegroup is running and I left IP6 alone so that is running. Except for my usual stuff (Hibernation disabled to make room on SSD by getting rid of hibfile.sys, media sharing left to sleep, network and mouse not allowed to wake the computer), I have nothing that I am still using that we tried to fix the problem. It simply works, settings no longer matter except for the usual suspects. Sorry that the upgrade did not help you too.

Is there anything you can suggest for haswell? I'm really at the end of my rope.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Is there anything you can suggest for Haswell? I'm really at the end of my rope.

My problem existed SOLELY due to MS and was fixed by them. Have you tried a fresh install to get your machine back to a known state? I am lucky as I have a licensed copy of 8.1 Pro so I can do it without updating. I cannot offer any suggestions other than the list I created around post 176 or so which are the commonsense, normal sleep issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Is there anything you can suggest for Haswell? I'm really at the end of my rope.

My problem existed SOLELY due to MS and was fixed by them. Have you tried a fresh install to get your machine back to a known state? I am lucky as I have a licensed copy of 8.1 Pro so I can do it without updating. I cannot offer any suggestions other than the list I created around post 176 or so which are the commonsense, normal sleep issues.

I'm sorry but I've not gone through this entire thread so what was your fix because my Windows 8.1 machine refuses to sleep as well. This too is a haswell machine with 32gig of RAM.

Also you say "Microsoft" provided a fix? Where? because I keep my machines updated and thus far none of the Windows updates seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Yeah I have it. Didn't do a darn thing for me :mad:

KB2903939 Update.JPG

I'm currently downloading some finally released Windows 8.1 drivers for my soundcard to see if this solves the issue as I'm currently running Win 8 drivers instead of 8.1. However the Creative site is extremely slow at this time. Seems everyone in the world are downloading those drivers for the ZXR card. Once I download and install those drivers I'll test.

Anyway I have another lead as well. I was reading in another forum as well as your earlier posts about Home Group being the issue and it was suggested to disconnect the internet cable from the system and see if the system slept; well that worked, but that I saw all the gyrations of going through the process and some yes and no's as the the fix sticking so... :confused:

Can you clarify on that one?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
Syg,

The ONLY things that seemed to fix the sleep issue before the update were disabling the Network adapter by properties or by removing the network cable (not exactly a good solution, heh) and possibly disabling the advanced power settings (which created a bunch more problems like no throttling of the CPu and hard to change the sleep time). Nothing else worked for long. I am going through ALL of my posts and marking every one that I tried something and it did not fix it. There are a ton of them too. Here are a list of things I tried that DID NOT FIX THE COMPUTER SLEEP ISSUE:

1. Going from MS live to local account.
2. Disabling Homegroup.
3. Disabling IPV6.
4. Disabling Skydrive.
5. BIOS settings.
6. SRVNET settings.
7. Error 10010 issue.
8. APPs keeping the computer from sleeping.
9. Fresh install of win8.1 Pro.
10. SSD driver uninstall.
11. Multiple changes to the LAN settings.
12. updating/downdating the LAN drivers.
13. updating all the other drivers for graphics, keyboard, mouse, CPU BIOS, chipset, etc.
14. Setting up a network without using homegroup.

On POST 457, I gave up after trashing my computer hard drives and almost losing a bunch of data. I went to manually sleeping the computer using the power button. After the update on 12/11, my computer sleeps and does not having any more crashing apps. I cannot suggest any other things to try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Yeah that is a ton of stuff there. I don't know, guess I'll have to get use to manually putting it to sleep till a more reasonable solution can be found. It's frustrating because I built this new rig with Win 8 in mind. Between IE11 issues and now this BS which is posted all over the net, I may just dump 8 and go back to 7.

Don't really want to do that but these BS nagging issues are starting to build to a boiling point now :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
I just applied a realtek audio drivrr update to my haswell MB. It currently is now entering sleep which it wasnt prior with a network user. We'll see if it lasts more than a day. There is also now an December update to the 4600 MB graphics driver. I'm going to hold off mixing it up until I see if the audio driver update permanently fixes the problem. Anyone else tried the new intel haswell audio or graphics drivers?

Edit: Does seem odd that it might be related to audio or graphics drivers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Any driver could cause sleep issues; that's also why it's so hard pinning down the cause The best way to prevent this is usually sticking with WHQL (Microsoft certified) drivers, but even then...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again. ;)

And for the rest. Try and update your drivers with the latest versions from the sites of the manufactures. My Graphic Drivers messed up my system when it came out of sleep or hibernation sometimes, until I finally found new drivers for Windows 8.1. The drivers that Microsoft use, aren't always the latest and best versions, it seems. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again. ;)

Thanks for the tips. One thing though. With W7 my pc would sleep with at least a dozen apps still open. They were probably idle but definitely open. When does an app affect sleep short of of it executing a specific wake call or your network driver is configured to wake on activity?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

Thanks for the tips. One thing though. With W7 my pc would sleep with at least a dozen apps still open. They were probably idle but definitely open. When does an app affect sleep short of of it executing a specific wake call or your network driver is configured to wake on activity?

I mean Metro Apps. I don't think W7 can run those apps.

Microsoft has changed how you close those apps from Win8 to Win8.1. In the past, you just pulled them down and they were closed. Now you need to pull them down, wait until they flip, and then let go of them for a proper shutdown of those apps. If you just pull them down and let go, they will disappear from the menu on the left, but if you look in Task Manager, you will see that they are still loaded. That's why I always press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC before I leave the PC to check if everything is closed properly. You can still force your PC to go to sleep, but after it has run a nightly task, it doesn't go to sleep again if any of those Metro Apps are still in Task Manager.

BTW: My PC sleeps now properly (except from the Metro App problems), after I reinstalled it (UPGRADE from my last Win8 image) after I had removed a program (System Mechanic) that messed up my registry. I haven't tried the new version of the program yet, but I will probably do that during next week. I always make a fresh image file of my hard disk every first of the month. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

I mean Metro Apps. I don't think W7 can run those apps.

Microsoft has changed how you close those apps from Win8 to Win8.1. In the past, you just pulled them down and they were closed. Now you need to pull them down, wait until they flip, and then let go of them for a proper shutdown of those apps. If you just pull them down and let go, they will disappear from the menu on the left, but if you look in Task Manager, you will see that they are still loaded. That's why I always press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC before I leave the PC to check if everything is closed properly. You can still force your PC to go to sleep, but after it has run a nightly task, it doesn't go to sleep again if any of those Metro Apps are still in Task Manager.

BTW: My PC sleeps now properly (except from the Metro App problems), after I reinstalled it (UPGRADE from my last Win8 image) after I had removed a program (System Mechanic) that messed up my registry. I haven't tried the new version of the program yet, but I will probably do that during next week. I always make a fresh image file of my hard disk every first of the month. :)

Thanks. Didn't realize metro apps would do that. Fortunately I only run a few windows utilities that are metro and nothing else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL