Windows 8.1 preview to 8.1 retail.

I won't have time to try it before tomorrow evening, but I saw elsewhere on the web that someone suggested opening this address in the Metro version of Internet Explorer:

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

its not working for me. i get the store page for windows 8.1 pro but when i click download i get an error message saying:
"your windows 8.1 preview install couldn't be completed
something happened and the install of windows 8.1 preview can't be completed"

has anyone been able to successfully upgrade from preview to retail?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4100 Quad core 3.6Ghz AM3+
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (rev 1.4)
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1866 Gskill sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7790 Ultra
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Case
    Thermaltake Xaser III
Speedj2,

at least you can start the download, i do not get that far.....

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
I haven't been able to try it properly, but I think this might work:
Use the Upgrade Assistant and run it, and
Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Microsoft Windows Help

Then I think it will show you a "Go to the store" link which will take you to the correct Windows Store page.

It does but when you click download it dumps you back to the main page of the store

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP DV7-4269WM
    CPU
    i5-480M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    750GB (5400RPM)
    Internet Speed
I won't have time to try it before tomorrow evening, but I saw elsewhere on the web that someone suggested opening this address in the Metro version of Internet Explorer:

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade
Right... just to confirm I have succeeded in the following path from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 Final. :D

• Installed Windows 8.1 Pro Preview, as a Clean Install on a machine that was at the time running Windows 7, using the Preview ISO. The machine had already been upgraded once to Windows 8 Pro, so I did have an Upgrade Product Key for it, but for some reason I'd returned it to Windows 7.
  • Upgraded to Windows 8.1 Final using the Windows Store, although I did need to paste in the above link to a browser to make it visible in the Store.
  • Activated using the Windows 8 Pro Product Key for that machine.
It all worked fairly smoothly as far as I can tell. The only glitch I didn't expect was that you can't download the 8.1 Pro update from the Store without a Microsoft Account; it doesn't have to be a login account on the PC, but you do need a Microsoft Account for that step.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
old fasioned upgrade

ok this is what i was able to figure out. i could never get the store to work. and i really didnt want to reinstall 8.0 just to upgrade it to 8.1. this method allows you to upgrade or perform a fresh install of 8.1 directly using an iso and i can confirm that it worked for me. however you will only be able to keep your files; all programs, apps, and even drivers will have to be reinstalled. its kind of like the keep your files option when upgrading from xp to vista or vista to 7.
also note that i did this with pro but i believe it works the same either way.(feel free to correct me if im wrong).
you can upgrade from 8.1 pro preview to 8.1 pro (using an 8.0 pro key) the old fasioned way (without the store) using this site (dont go there yet, youll want to read through the second site first):
Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help
however there are a few tricks to be aware of (it looks straight forward, but its not).
here are some sites that describe the process and offer some additional information:
(lots of good info in the comments on this one as well)
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key
you can get a dummy key for a fresh install here
Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys
also note that you need to let the download get to about 2% or so before quitting and switching to the 8.1 download.
also the dummy key is for the install, since it wont except an 8.0 key. once your in windows you can activate using your proper 8.0 key.
microsoft made this way more complicated than it needed to be.
not the solution i was hoping for but like i said, i didnt have to go through 2 OS installs just to perform what should have basically been a service pack.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4100 Quad core 3.6Ghz AM3+
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (rev 1.4)
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1866 Gskill sniper