Windows 8.1 no administrator access?

NormAtHome

I'm sorry but the title was too short for me to accurately describe the problem that I'm trying to solve so please bear with me.

I'm trying to fix problems on a work computer that had been setup by a previous employee that seems to have some very strange problems. The computer has Windows 8.1 installed, there is no central server just four computers using basic workgroup sharing.

First, the person who actually uses it asked me why he was having a problem installing Classic Shell 4.2.5, it installs but doesn't work i.e. you click the start button and you still get the tiled start screen. I contacted the Classic Shell people and they had several suggestions: "If it has been installed before, its possible that the settings are causing this issue
try navigating to classic shells install folder, and run the shortcut 'Start Menu Settings' then navigate to the controls tab" But when I open a command prompt as administrator and run explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell and attempt to go into the folder to find the shortcut for Star Menu Settings, I get a message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" and "Click continue to permanently get access to this folder" and when I click Continue I then get a message "You've been denied permission to access this folder".

That made me believe that this was clearly a permissions issue, at first I thought that maybe the users account had been created as a regular user and not an administrator. But I went to the user accounts app and it did say that the user was an administrator. This account was one that was created with a Microsoft account and not a local account but in any case I created a new user account and made it a local account and set it to be an administrator account. I logged into that account and downloaded a new copy of Classic Shell and reinstalled it and rebooted and logged into the local account and still Classic Shell wouldn't work and when I opened a command prompt as administrator and opened explorer and navigated to the programs folder, I still couldn't access the Classic Shell folder getting the same error I got with the Microsoft account login.

In explorer (running as administrator) I tried to check the permissions on the Classic Shell folder and I received a message "You do not have permission to view this objects security properties even as an administrative user"

So I'm stumped, there was only a single user account on this computer (now that I created a local account there are two) and neither has the access required to install Classic Shell properly or even access the Classic Shell program folder. So how do I manage the security on this computer and grant access to the user to allow access to the program folder of Classic Shell?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Has the computer the build in administrator account enabled.
How does the log in screen look of the pc

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self build
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    DDR3 Team--Elite-1333 8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
    Speedlink Ledos and Nexus
Windows 8.1 no administrator access

No the computer does not have the built in administrator account enabled.

Originally when the computer booted you got the usual screen with wallpaper that you have to click on, then you got a choice of one users email to log in with; as I had mentioned I had added a second user account which I created as a local account and I created account to be an Administrator.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Windows 8.1 no administrator access

Can someone help me out here? Any idea's why I can't properly install Classic Shell or why I'm being denied access to the Classic Shell program directory?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back