Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch

Possible work around

I too was having the store app crashes. Did all the troubleshooting other than a clean install. I was finally able to get the apps to work.

1.Open app(will crash but be visible in left side tool bar)

2. Right click app icon and select insert left.

3.Resize to no more than 2/3 of desktop.

All my games/apps are running with this method.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Welcome to Windows EightForums, TheNitzel and pacotito.

@ TheNitzel

Thanks for posting that. I have but one app I have trouble with that doesn’t relate to this thread in general, but I thought I’d try anyway. No go with help on that app. Obviously the “Development Mode” doesn’t have an effect on breaking apps on my machine. Has anyone tried his entries?

BTW, a user can copy and paste by simply right clicking into PowerShell now. Command Prompt has a context menu when right clicking to choose the paste option.

As long as we’re on the subject; As I’ve stated, I have one app that does not open completely in 8.1, but was working in 8. It’s a heavy-laden on resources. I wrote the developers an email querying on the matter. It is a rather complex problem for them Here is there response:

Hi Tony,

Yes this bug is causing us no end of problems. We can’t recreate it here in the offices, and our friends at MS and Intel aren’t able to recreate it either. The problem happens on some devices - but it’s not related to a specific device - i.e. the same device might function perfectly.

Without a machine that crashes we’re unable to fix the problem - or know what problem there is to fix. Right now we're trying to get our hands on a device that crashes, but not having much luck. We’ve tried multiple different crash logs and memory dumps but the issue seems to be related to MS not S--- C----, so all we see is that MS crashes the app, not what it is in the app that causes the crash to happen.

Apologies for the inconvenience and know that we are working on finding a fix asap.

Kind regards,

Xxxx xxxx

@ pacotito

I only get “Close” on the Switcher slide-out bar “right-click context menu”. You have more options in that menu?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Yes I have 3 other options. Insert right or left and replace desktop. Anything bigger than about 2/3 of the screen size I get the app splash screen than back to desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thanks for the tip. It doesn't work for me. I tried 1/4, 1/2 and 2/3s, but no go. It just gives me the empty desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
Same problem as reported by others. Even worse my PC settings app doesn't run as well as the simple search feature. Hoping to hear something from windows about this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Same crashing problem here. I had solved it by refreshing but now the apps have start to crash again! If it can help
any of you to find a solution, I noticed that when offline the apps don't crash! Please Mr. The Super Microsoft Tech solve that problem!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP P7-1539
    CPU
    AMD A10-5800K
    Motherboard
    MSI 2AE0 (P0)
    Memory
    32 Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7500 series
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC / AMD High Definition Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W2053
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    20Mbits
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Same crashing problem here. I had solved it by refreshing but now the apps have start to crash again! If it can help
any of you to find a solution, I noticed that when offline the apps don't crash! Please Mr. The Super Microsoft Tech solve that problem!!!

Hi Alvon, Welcome. Is this the problem where you start an app and it immediately crashes to the desktop? One fix for that was to uninstall and reinstall the app. Try that one one of them to see if that helps... There are several ways for an to crash!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
No John my apps crash while I use them, but not all of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP P7-1539
    CPU
    AMD A10-5800K
    Motherboard
    MSI 2AE0 (P0)
    Memory
    32 Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7500 series
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC / AMD High Definition Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W2053
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    20Mbits
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I lost 42 apps, just poof disappeared. They showed under "Your Apps" as uninstalled, but they wouldn't reinstall. I tried every fix I could find short of the refresh because I didn't want to lose my installed programs. My son had recently installed a game on my laptop and noticed something strange. He mentioned it to me, and I looked and my user was "hidden". I unselected the "hidden" box under "Properties" for my user, and as soon as the changes were applied (took about 6 minutes) EVERYTHING was back to normal! From the desktop, I went to the File Explorer, to OS(C:)/Users, right clicked on my user name (You may have to select "Show Hidden in "View") and selected "Properties", deselected the checkbox for "Hidden" and selected "Apply" and its fixed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I lost 42 apps, just poof disappeared. They showed under "Your Apps" as uninstalled, but they wouldn't reinstall. I tried every fix I could find short of the refresh because I didn't want to lose my installed programs. My son had recently installed a game on my laptop and noticed something strange. He mentioned it to me, and I looked and my user was "hidden". I unselected the "hidden" box under "Properties" for my user, and as soon as the changes were applied (took about 6 minutes) EVERYTHING was back to normal! From the desktop, I went to the File Explorer, to OS(C:)/Users, right clicked on my user name (You may have to select "Show Hidden in "View") and selected "Properties", deselected the checkbox for "Hidden" and selected "Apply" and its fixed!

Hi scarlett, Welcome. Ahh, you discovered a "feature" of Windows! User Accounts! Each user can have their own unique set of desktop, apps, programs, etc. Go to the tutorial section of this forum ( Forum, Tutorials, What's New up on the blue part up top ) then click on U read about User accounts there so you can get a feel for how User Accounts work and how to prevent this from catching you offguard again. Congrats on finding your way back!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I've found the FINAL SOLUTION to solve this issue, after days of searching!!! Please follow this instructions carefully!! Thanks to Bo W for the help!!!

I had this problem too on a laptop where Mail/Cal/Addr, Weather, Finance etc apps just refused to start after upgrade from W8 to W8.1. They died immediately. Not ALL apps crash, many still work. But all the "main Microsoft apps" seem to crash.

I managed to fix the problem this way:

First run the App Troubleshooter. It said it corrected some permissions, but the apps still crashed. Running it could not hurt..

Then create a new user account attached to ANOTHER Outlook/Live/Hotmail account than your main account. Make sure it is an admin account so you can install stuff.

After login to the new account, return to the original one. The apps on the start screen that crashed will be marked with X in the lower right corner. Uninstall them, and reinstall again, one by one. You can also enter the app and you'll be forwarded to the Store, where you can then repair it.

I have Googled around, and found quite many posts with exactly the same problem. That means that there are probably thousands out there with the same problem. But Grandma does not write to tech forums...

I'm surprised that MIcrosoft has not reacted officially. I see many competent answers from both MS and other support engineers, but they all point in various directions. It seems to me as if MS is lost here about the source of the problem. Please prioritize and catch up! Think of Grandma!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Welcome to Windows EightForums, alcabcucu.

Thanks for taking time to post that solution. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Welcome to Windows EightForums, alcabcucu.

Thanks for taking time to post that solution. :thumb:

It's all about security and security keys. Change anything security related and your apps may crash. Join a home network after setting up and over we go (three reinstalls on two system to prove it with that being the only change).

Back up your data before starting.

- Create a new unique local user
- Set new user rights as admin
- Shut down and Restart logging in as your new admin user and then delete all other users removing all their files
- Restart
- Clean up your system using built in maintenance and manually removing any left over user directories
- Restart
- Link your new user to your Microsoft account and see how we go adding back in owned store apps slowly and testing each one as you go.

So far I'm holding up by following the above steps.

The above has the effect of deleting and creating new security settings and keys by creating new ones with full Store and system rights. Be careful and think about what system changes may impact on local security. Run away if you think it may do something in that area.

Beware of playing around with the graphics card out of date error. It is often false due to the security key being changed (especially if all was well in Windows 8 before moving up to 8.1). Now if anybody fancies making a fix it for a full fix don't call me.

Andy

-Edited to make steps clearer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 and 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home build
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    intel z81
    Memory
    16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Amd hd 57 series
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    MSE
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum and I have the same problem... So I create my acount to share my problem with you!

Well, I found a little website that centralize all the issues and solutions to the problem : Metro apps crashing on Windows 8 / 8.1 | Metro Apps Crash | Metro apps not working on Windows 8 / 8.1

I hope that this will help you. I didn't tryed anything yet, because I don't have my PC now but I will try latter in the evening and come back here to tell if it's works or not, why and how... It seems to be the same bug with different ''profiles'' so it may be various... Depends of your computer, ect...

Hoever, I found this thread : http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5536-user-account-add-new-user-windows-8-a.html and I think that people who update windows 8 to windows 8.1 or from windows 8.1 to windows 8.1 update 1 should try to create a new acount without passing threw the windows metro interface.
I heard on many forums that this update may have some bugs, to be short the profile was under win8 and not win8.1 / win8.1 and not win8.1 update 1 so it creates conflicts, and you may have to create a new profil that has been created under win8.1 to fix this.

PS : sorry if my English looks weird, I'm French ^^'

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G505s
    CPU
    AMD A8-4500M
    Memory
    4 Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD RADEON HD 7640
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avira free
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum and I have the same problem... So I create my acount to share my problem with you!

Well, I found a little website that centralize all the issues and solutions to the problem : http://unsavorysite.com

Welcome to the forum, EODM. I don't know if you saw it or not, but when I clicked on the above link, I got the following: MetroAppsCrash.PNG

This tells me immediately that this is an unsafe site and if one clicks on that link they may get more "Cleanup" than they bargained for! BTW, I changed the URL to something harmless, since I don't want others to inadvertently get stung.

I hope that this will help you. I didn't tryed anything yet, because I don't have my PC now but I will try latter in the evening and come back here to tell if it's works or not, why and how... It seems to be the same bug with different ''profiles'' so it may be various... Depends of your computer, ect...

My advice is Do not go to that site!

Hoever, I found this thread : http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5536-user-account-add-new-user-windows-8-a.html and I think that people who update windows 8 to windows 8.1 or from windows 8.1 to windows 8.1 update 1 should try to create a new acount without passing threw the windows metro interface.

I don't understand what you mean here . . . When I updated to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 8.1 Update, I kept my old account and nothing untoward happened. In other words, this problem, like so many others, only happens to some of us.

I heard on many forums that this update may have some bugs, to be short the profile was under win8 and not win8.1 / win8.1 and not win8.1 update 1 so it creates conflicts, and you may have to create a new profil that has been created under win8.1 to fix this.

Are there any updates that don't have bugs? Go over to the General forum and look for "Windows 8.1 Refuses to Sleep". That thread is 145 pages long and growing. But then, you have folks like you who are willing to work diligently for a solution to whichever problem is current.

PS : sorry if my English looks weird, I'm French ^^'[/QUOTE]

Again, welcome, EODM. Isn't it wonderful that we can come together from all over the world and speak to each other in my native language, English. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Welcome to the forum, EODM. I don't know if you saw it or not, but when I clicked on the above link, I got the following: View attachment 43727

This tells me immediately that this is an unsafe site and if one clicks on that link they may get more "Cleanup" than they bargained for! BTW, I changed the URL to something harmless, since I don't want others to inadvertently get stung.

I didn't notice that on mine, I have adblock, ghostery and no script on my firefox...

nothing.png
This is juste an add the "click here to downald [...] because you need it to run [...]" that you can find on some websites, it will make you go to another website were you will need to "install something"... I think that it's a way to make money with the website! I saw this ad on YouTube...
My advice is "do not downald and install every single thing that you can find on the web"!
PS : I'm not the owner of this website, so if you don't want to go on this then don't :)

I don't understand what you mean here . . . When I updated to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 8.1 Update, I kept my old account and nothing untoward happened. In other words, this problem, like so many others, only happens to some of us.

Yes, this bug happens to one but not to the other... Weird. You'll won't get it if you are lucky! (I'm not...)

Are there any updates that don't have bugs? Go over to the General forum and look for "Windows 8.1 Refuses to Sleep". That thread is 145 pages long and growing. But then, you have folks like you who are willing to work diligently for a solution to whichever problem is current.

Yay, I saw that! I don't blame the editors but I'm just saying that this a bug included inside the update for some people... I think that it's because the update been cut (no internet for 1 day, thanks to thunder)... I'm not sure about it at all but I don't see anything else, because it's working fine on my brother's computer, and I got the same as mine :/
I finally create a new acount by using the CMD, and I delete the older...
So I have to bring my new desk back to "normal" but everything is working fine on my new acount! I'm so happy to finaly see my problem solved...

Again, welcome, EODM. Isn't it wonderful that we can come together from all over the world and speak to each other in my native language, English. :)

Thanks! I'm so sad to see that only a few people are speaking French in the world... But it don't really matter, I'm not good for writting; but I speak, read and understand English ^^

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G505s
    CPU
    AMD A8-4500M
    Memory
    4 Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD RADEON HD 7640
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avira free
I didn't notice that on mine, I have adblock, ghostery and no script on my firefox...

View attachment 43756

This is juste an add the "click here to downald [...] because you need it to run [...]" that you can find on some websites, it will make you go to another website were you will need to "install something"... I think that it's a way to make money with the website! I saw this ad on YouTube...
My advice is "do not downald and install every single thing that you can find on the web"!
PS : I'm not the owner of this website, so if you don't want to go on this then don't :)

Lemme tell ya a small tale . . . My friend's very computer literate grandson at around 7 or 8 years old at the time, clicked on something like this. To cut to the chase, he ran to his grand mother and told her something was terribly wrong with her computer. When she saw all the pornography that was popping up all over the place, she wondered where on the Internet he'd been! He was so scared it took us awhile to worm the actual facts out of him. Needless to say, he's never done that again.

Long story short, he'd been advised by one of those popups that something needed doing to the computer, so he clicked! It took Microsoft to get that malware off her computer. Luckily, I was her go-to for support, and was beta testing Microsoft Security Essentials, which I had put on her computer, so it didn't cost us anything to have MS remove the malware. Also, that particular malware was so new that MSE didn't have a definition for it yet.

So, there's no way in hades that I'll ever click on an unsolicited ad, no matter what it says. In my neck of the woods, that's called safe computing! Indiscriminate clicking may be hazardous to your computer's health. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
So, there's no way in hades that I'll ever click on an unsolicited ad, no matter what it says. In my neck of the woods, that's called safe computing! Indiscriminate clicking may be hazardous to your computer's health. :)

Yes, that's what I was saying :) You can go on the website (metroappcrash) but don't click on the add (or worst : don't download anything, don't install anything), it's a malware and it will make you download something. On the website, whatever is the solution you choose, there's NOTHING to install.

Just told that this is "just" an add because with adblock, I didin't saw that one (so I put the screenshoot to prove it to you), I don't want anybody to be infected, there is enought bugs for today isn't it? ^^

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G505s
    CPU
    AMD A8-4500M
    Memory
    4 Go