Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch

Hi Guys,

Other Hardware: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (USB Sound card),

This card is not compatible with 8.1 it causes many issues like freezing, unresponsivene GUI etc. Fo not update to 8.1 if you usethis card. it renders your OS unusable.

There is no current date set to release 8.1 drivers for this card.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Apple Macbook pro
    CPU
    Inrtel core i7-3615QM
    Motherboard
    Apple
    Memory
    4 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 650M
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows defender
Olzhasiko, welcome to the forums! check out the tutorials while you are here as they are very good and cover a lot of topics.

Thanks for pulling up this post. I had forgotten all about it! The last major windows 8.1 update FIXED my crashing apps. So far, no app that I have running is broken any more. Hurrah for MS and a big raspberry to MS for having broken the apps in the first place but eventually fixed them.

Ignore all other posts by me as none of them fixed the Newegg app!

Olz, I bet you also had the critical update installed while you were pulling up the other updates. I forgot when MS released it or what the KB number was but it was a mandatory update and would have piggybacked onto any other update. Perhaps your Media player fixes will help for apps that are broken that I did not have installed. Thanks for sharing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I reviewed all 13 pages of this very enlightening thread...as I too have had all the issues mentioned with the Win 8.1 Metro apps...
As I just completed another clean install of my Win 8.1 Pro/Media Center OS....thus far all seems ok...keeping my fingers crossed..lol as it has been a frustrating experience!

My issue is with the latest version 2.xxx of Flipboard app, which I can not log-in....have created another account, but still no success.
I have emailed to Flipboard Support and here is the reply that I received:

Subject: Can not sign/log into my account...
DEC 26, 2013 | 11:20PM PST
Todd Gullion replied:

Hello Glenn,
Thank you for your email. I’m sorry to hear that you are having issues with Flipboard. Let’s try some troubleshooting.
Please retry these steps in order, even if you already have done some of them before.
Please try fully quitting and restarting Flipboard on your Tablet or PC.
If on a Tablet:
1. Swipe in from the right to see the charm menu, select Search
2. Type Task Manager
3. Select Flipboard and End Task
4. Select the Windows Start Button on your device
5. Restart Flipboard
If on a PC:
1. Move your mouse cursor to one of the right corners to see the charm menu, select Search
2. Type Task Manager
3. Select Flipboard and End Task
4. Select the Windows Start Button in the left-bottom corner
5. Restart Flipboard
Now open Flipboard again. Working? If not, please uninstall, reboot Tablet or PC, and then re-install Flipboard.
1.Press and hold the Flipboard tile, or with a mouse right-click it
2. Select Uninstall from the bottom menu
3.Reboot your device or PC
4.Go to the Windows Store and re-install
Let me know if the problem persists.

Thank you,

Hi Todd,

Unfortunately no success with your 'trouble-shooting' options...I have even reinstalled Win8.1 Pro/Media Center ...have cleared Microsoft Store Cache, ran the MS Aps Troubleshooter.cab...all other Metro apps are functioning properly with the exception of Flipboard app on my Windows laptop...(not touchscreen)

Seems I just can not log-in....even have created another account...no luck..
The app looks quite nice...however going to other Win8/Win 8.1 forums...members are reporting issues with the latest V2.xxxx
I will utilize either Bing News, or the latest Weave as my newsreader, as they both function/update properly....both showing the 'Option to turn live tile on/off'....whereas Flipboard does not show this option...

Have even tried to login through both my Facebook and Twitter accounts....no luck either.
Also I have Windows Defender as my AV...all settings are approved for Flipboard access..

Sincerely,

If any of our collective membership could possibly assist with more troubleshooting options...would be greatly appreciated
Buggie App.pngLatest Flipboard app.pngMore pics.pngWindows Firewall.png

I swear that I performed this 'command prompt':

Originally
Posted by
nyctransplant

I have been
having the same issues since upgrading to Windows 8.1 on Sunday night.
Everything in the desktop world works normally but the entire metro world
(store, apps, even PC settings) doesn't work. I was able to get my Windows
Store app to start working by using the following command in the Command Prompt
(Admin):

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage
-DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

But just tried it multi-times...rebooted...installed Flipboard again...proceeded to Login area:

Success_Finally_lol.png

Finally success....however there is definitely many issues with the Win 8.1 apps and MS Store...for now, I'm relieved and will keep my fingers crossed, that all remains stable...lol!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center X 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55A
    CPU
    Intel i5 3rd Generation
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 (WXGA)
gahmvwm5, Microsoft did a LOT of under the hood changes for apps in Win8.1. I would imagine that it broke several of them, especially ones that are more complicated. It will probably be up to the developer to conform to the new specs that MS laid out more than expecting MS to tweak individual programs. Glad to hear you found a workaround.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
gahmvwm5, Microsoft did a LOT of under the hood changes for apps in Win8.1. I would imagine that it broke several of them, especially ones that are more complicated. It will probably be up to the developer to conform to the new specs that MS laid out more than expecting MS to tweak individual programs. Glad to hear you found a workaround.

Hi johnpombrio,

Yes indeed, I sent 'Bug Report Logs' to Flipboard Support and various pieces from this thread, as well as my own frustrating experience with Win8.1 apps and the MS Store and received the following reply:

'Hello Glenn,Thank you for sending this information, this helps us. I am sending this to our Windows Team now.

Thank you,
Todd Gullion'

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55A
    CPU
    Intel i5 3rd Generation
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 (WXGA)
Thought I'd chime in that I also have this problem except that it's somewhat intermittent. I have a brand new Thinkpad Yoga, a laptop that comes preinstalled with 8.1. I have been very diligent about updating the drivers from the Lenovo support page, flashing the BIOS and running Windows Update repeatedly to ensure that my system is completely up to date.

The splash page / crash issue happens with essentially every Metro/Modern app. After the app "crashes", I can see it in the running app bar, if I click on it there, it works fine. Also, sometimes the problem doesn't happen at all: the apps launch normally. The sporadic nature of the problem is what makes it so frustrating, in some respects I'd prefer to have the apps crash every time as then it might be easier to identify what's causing the problem. Searching around on the internet, this is one of many threads discussing this issue. I'd say it's fairly widespread.

My computer also used to not wake up from sleep, another fairly common problem. I seem to have this (much more major and annoying) problem resolved at this point.

I've read this entire thread and it doesn't look like there's a definitive fix yet for everyone. I suspect this is just going to be one of those things that goes away over time as 8.1 matures and third parties continue developing drivers/BIOS. For now, it's definitely irritating as I actually like most of the first party apps. Also, I find 8.1 to be a nice usability upgrade over 8.0.

Sidenote: I also recently bought a Dell XPS 12 laptop for my wife. The XPS is similar to my Haswell-based machine except that she's running 8.0 and has a lower spec. She has none of these problems. I've recommended to her that she not upgrade to 8.1 at this time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8Gb
Welcome to Windows Eight Forums, hiro11. It's good to have you aboard. :)

Good advice to keep the wife happy. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Welcome to Windows Eight Forums, hiro11. It's good to have you aboard. :)

Good advice to keep the wife happy. :thumbsup:

Yes indeed, welcome hiro11...I could not agree more!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55A
    CPU
    Intel i5 3rd Generation
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 (WXGA)
Yes indeed, welcome hiro11...I could not agree more!
Thanks guys. Happy wife, happy life. The XPS 12 is a sweet piece of hardware. When it hit $699 in base configuration last week, I couldn't say no.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8Gb
I have also been experiencing this issue.

I only discovered it last night when I decided to go onto Skype. I clicked on the metro box and it went to a light blue state (full screen). I then clicked on the blue state and it took me back to the metro start. I then put my mouse to the top left hotspot and saw that Skype was open. I clicked on this but again it took me back to the metro start. I have checked task manager but it doesn't appear. I have also tried doing a System Restore with ASC to 4 days ago, but that made no difference. I have looked through all 13 pages of this Thread, but none of the fixes have worked.

Computer Information:
Make: Samsung
Graphics Driver: Intel(R) Graphics 3000
^Version: [Withdrawn]
DirectX Version: 11.0

Also I have noticed that I cant open my app store or my PC Settings. It just does the same thing as above.

EDIT: would refreshing my pc work? Also when the screen is in the "light blue state" none of the hot spots work, only clicking or doing WIN+D does anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Samsung
UPDATE: I've tried installing updates via the control panel, but its giving me Error Code 80246008

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Samsung

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    32 GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX TITAN
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q 27" overclocked to 85Hz
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB;
    Western Digital Black 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200i
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    Custom Water Loops
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19S
    Mouse
    Logitech G700S
    Other Info
    Yes, I just LOVE this system!! I've never had anything this nice, ever. It may take me a year to pay it off, but it was soooo worth it.
Hi all!

I wanted to chip in to this thread since I've been experiencing this problem for more than a month. I have installed Win8.1 Pro on my computer and after a while first Bing Weather and then some other MS apps started behaving as OP stated - an app splash with crash to Start Tile with app remaining in Alt-Tab list.

I have read somewhere that somebody located an error log which stated "Failed: Update available". That makes sense, since apps were starting to fail seemingly unrelated to each other after a period of time when they were working correctly.

Stated in this thread, I too have Core-i3 processor with GeForce GT 640 as a primary (and sole - according to Control Panel) display adapter. Windows Update said that Windows8.1-KB2902892-x64 is already installed in my computer.

Finally, today I resorted to uninstalling the app - for all users - and again reinstalling them. So far it has worked. Only that this is really a tedious process and could be only temporary solution.

Thanks for pulling up this post. I had forgotten all about it! The last major windows 8.1 update FIXED my crashing apps. So far, no app that I have running is broken any more.

Could you please state which KBs are covered with that update. I am not experiencing this problem, at the moment, but I would still like to check whether this update is installed in my computer.

At the end, a BIG thank you for everybody that contributed constructively to this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i3-3240
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 640 GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Keyboard
    Genius backlit
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    MS
Rocky, It was the KB2903939 dated 2013-12-11. I donno if that was the one that fixed the app but it was around there anyways, heh. It also could have been that I uninstalled the app at some point and reinstalled it later. Like I said, apps could be busted by Win8.1 and would need to be fixed by the app developer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Thanks John for replying, I'll check out installed KBs on my machine. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i3-3240
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 640 GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Keyboard
    Genius backlit
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    MS
I am having this problem with a lot of the apps, and I don't really care too much about that - don't use them really. But now I am getting the same response when I click on Activate Windows (to try to solve ANOTHER problem I'm having with this darn computer). It starts to come up, then disappears and I'm taken to my start screen. I also just discovered, when trying to use Printscreen that saves to a file, by holding the windows and printscreen keys down together, that it doesn't work either - just takes me to my start screen (and yes, I'm careful to be hitting those keys at the same time, so I'm 99.9% sure it's not because I'm hitting the windows key).

So is there a way I can uninstall 8.1 and go back to just 8? This is a work computer. I have 8 at home too, and have purposely not downloaded 8.1 on that one when invited because of all the bleeping problems I've had since doing that on the work computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
So is there a way I can uninstall 8.1 and go back to just 8? This is a work computer. I have 8 at home too, and have purposely not downloaded 8.1 on that one when invited because of all the bleeping problems I've had since doing that on the work computer.

Grannish, check out the tutorial section here. They pretty much have everything. I doubt you will be able to go back from 8.1 to 8 without a clean install unfortunately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I was having this issue as well only it was with my PC Settings not opening. I found a post that has *for now* fixed the issue for me:

open a cmd or powershell but RunAs ADMINISTRATOR and then type/paste these commands:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\camera\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\FileManager\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

Hope this helps!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back