Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch

I too have been having the same problem since upgrading to 8.1. Most of the natively installed metro apps don't work. The graphic splash screen pops up for a split second, and then I'm bumped back to desktop mode. Apps visible in sidebar, but don't open.

This includes some 3rd party apps like Skype. "Store" and "Photos" are the only 2 Apps that DO WORK. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I also disabled my firewall, but that didn't work either. At first I thought it was only with the native apps, but I just installed the Netflix App, and it doesn't work either. This is piddling me off. Everything worked under 8.0.

Attempted fixes:
1: disabled firewall
2: undated graphics drivers
3: uninstalled/reinstalled apps
4. ran Microsoft App Troubleshooter
5. ran Windows update
..and a few other random little things

nothing works.

I have done all of the above. I've also made sure my graphics driver is as up to date as Intel and Samsung can find their way to do. I've reinstalled flash and tried installing a few different programs that say they will play you tube videos (these are my biggest problem and I really want them). But you tube is far from my only problem, as is the case with everyone contributing to this thread.

We have all been diligently playing Sherlock Holmes while Microsoft has been trying to ready their next product launch as if this didn't happen to all of us.

I started with DOS and 5 1/4 floppies and have stayed with Microsoft through all their cryptic error codes and the occasional tech who messed up my machine. Whatever possessed me to get a Win 8 tablet I'm not sure. But I'm tired.

I feel this issue should be publicized somehow. I recognize that some people had no problem, but we all do, plus many more who don't even know to come to this board. Microsoft should be researching and finding a fix for this - it's quite widespread.

I went into Best Buy today and tried the new Surface which I believe has 8.1. I installed one of the popular you tube apps. When the app first loaded a message came on very briefly saying you needed flash to play it. But then - the video played anyway. So Microsoft seems to have done something on their own machines to overcome the problems I face with the you tube apps (and probably most others as well), but no serious updates or recommendations or even a real apology with a promise to fix, has been forthcoming for the rest of us.

Any thoughts about how we might put pressure where it would matter?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Ativ Smart Pro 700T
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 400 chip
    Hard Drives
    Samsung ssd and 64 gig sd car
    Keyboard
    on screen, or bluetooth
    Internet Speed
    1 gig
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome, UCBrowser
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security
Louise, remember, this is NOT A COMMON PROBLEM. If everyone had their apps broken like this, there would be thousands of posts. There are not, try Googling it to see. Here are the few hits in search that might help (and about all I can find! Except for this post of course):

Windows 8 apps crash immediately after opening - Microsoft Community

Windows 8.1 apps Calculator, Alarms, Weather (just a few) crash immediately when opened - Super User

I no longer have any apps installed that crash anymore. There are a couple that don't work but it may just be a compatibility problem.

Frustrating as hell? You bet. Yet, keep trying and checking the web (and this site) for solutions. They will eventually come. You may have to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 to fix it tho, be aware that you may not have a completely functioning operating system. It happens to the best of us.

2103-12-25 EDIT The last major windows 8.1 update FIXED my crashing apps.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I found an update which may be related with the problem. I've installed it and gonna reboot now to check if it works
PS: or if it is the update of the software not driver?

NVIDIA® GeForce Experience™ 1.7.1 Release Highlights:
• Removes CPU restrictions for ShadowPlay™
• ShadowPlay™ videos can now be saved with in paths containing non-Latin characters
• Fixes an error that causes the app to report 0GB of available memory
• Improved connectivity for NVIDIA GameStream
I
I have encounter another problem which is, my Battlefield Bad Company 2 keeps freezing my laptop, or making my external and "internal" monitor go blackout. I'd say it is not heat problem because according to CPU Temp and GPU-Z data, my GPU can go up to 82 degree without a problem, then my fan turns up and cool it down to 77-78 degree until it freezes. Meanwhile CPU Temp is always under 80, I'd say round 75, so I have installed the following Windows update. Hope it works, anyone face a similar problem with gaming and managed to fix it?

Mouse pointer stutters or freezes when you play certain games in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

Will come back if the nVidia update works

Thanks in advance from Sora

No it doesnt work, but the Windows update does, I played for an hour still working

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
Louise, remember, this is NOT A COMMON PROBLEM. If everyone had their apps broken like this, there would be thousands of posts. There are not, try Googling it to see. Here are the few hits in search that might help (and about all I can find! Except for this post of course):

Windows 8 apps crash immediately after opening - Microsoft Community

Windows 8.1 apps Calculator, Alarms, Weather (just a few) crash immediately when opened - Super User

I no longer have any apps installed that crash anymore. There are a couple that don't work but it may just be a compatibility problem.

Frustrating as hell? You bet. Yet, keep trying and checking the web (and this site) for solutions. They will eventually come. You may have to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 to fix it tho, be aware that you may not have a completely functioning operating system. It happens to the best of us.

Thanks for pointing out that it's a much smaller percentage of people than it feels like when I can't fix it! And, in this case, I guess my rage at MS for not fixing it, is premature. I've spoken to a few friends, not really computer focused, who have said they simply don't use the apps because they "don't work". And these people don't think much about it.

I am loathe to install 8.1 again. This is a tablet and I would have to bring it back to factory settings and install all the Samsung updates, the windows 8 updates and then 8.1? And then, since the update went smoothely, how am I to know it won't happen again?

Why do you say I may not have a completely functioning operating system when I have found no other major problems? Do you mean that if I did the above, it could happen again?

If I were to do this - and I would seriously consider a good Android tablet instead of all this trouble, it seems I'd be better off actually purchasing a copy of 8.1. Wouldn't this be the preferred route - if I stay with Windows?

Notice that I do not mention Ipads as I've explored them extensively and they always come up way short in terms of connectivity and the limitations Apple places on what programs can be installed. The only Apple product I've ever owned is their router, which has been discontinued - it was the best I ever found.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of where I (we) stand with this issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 400 chip
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    on screen, or bluetooth
    Internet Speed
    1 gig
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security
Louise, You gobsmacked me when you mention you are running on a tablet! I donno why but that never occurred to me. Indeed, I looked at your system specs, Googled your Samsung. Very cool.

As for rebuilding your operating system, I can see why you are apprehensive. I doubt a tablet comes with a copy of Windows 8 on a DVD, nor would you have any way of using it without buying a lot of USB peripherals. DO buy a USB backup hard drive or large USB thumb drive if you do not have one as all computers owners should backup their critical files onto storage that is not connected to the machine all the time. Insurance.

Since we do not have a handle on why a few of us have had this apps crash to desktop issue, it may be that we have a "busted" operating system. I have had my share of those (and usually at my own hand!) I can rebuild Win8 in a couple of hours, I have had so much practice, heh. Don't worry about it for now but do think about how you would go about repairing or reinstalling Win8.1 if you had to. Again insurance.

So far, NewEgg app still crashes to the desktop. It worked up until a couple of weeks ago. what changed? Who knows!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
From another poster on the sleep issue:

I used my ISO of Windows 8.1 from Technet to reinstall Windows 8.1 on all three computers. After reinstalling it, many of my other issues went away and have not returned (e.g. Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch).

Thanks Rockhound! I gave him a reputation bump (the thumb icon on the bottom)!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Thanks for copying my post over here john. I appreciate it. Also, thanks for the reputation bump. Although, I'm not so sure it is practical to ask folks to re-image their computers just because of this. I'm sure most people would tell you that you need to have your head examined if this was the proper solution.:D

I just decided to reformat and reinstall for two reasons: 1) I was having several other issues that I knew weren't there initially and I just couldn't seem to find a fix for them, and 2) I had the time and my wife actually agreed to let me re-image her computer. With SSDs, insanely fast CPUs, and high-speed internet nowadays, it really doesn't take long at all to do (unlike 10 and 15 years ago)!

Bottom line: I'm not sure why just uninstalling and reinstalling the apps isn't a permanent fix for everyone (it wasn't for me). It works initially, but then it breaks again. Because of this, I think there really needs to be a better fix, I just don't know what it could be. I just know that the apps worked properly for a long time and then they didn't. Interestingly, the apps broke about the same time I started fiddling with our sleep issue. I wonder if there is a common thread?

What I can tell you is that since re-imaging all three computers, none have the crashing app problem. One computer was re-imaged 2-weeks ago, one was re-imaged 1-week ago, and the third was re-imaged 4-days ago. So far, so good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    32 GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX TITAN
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q 27" overclocked to 85Hz
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB;
    Western Digital Black 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200i
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    Custom Water Loops
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19S
    Mouse
    Logitech G700S
    Other Info
    Yes, I just LOVE this system!! I've never had anything this nice, ever. It may take me a year to pay it off, but it was soooo worth it.
Rock, the reason why I copied over the post is that I scared the hello out a user when I said that they may need to reinstall to fix the apps crash as a last resort. Knowing someone who did exactly that and that it fixed the apps crashing is just collaboration of my own feelings. A desperate act but for someone who depends on the start menu like the user who is using a Win8.1 tablet, it may be a worthwhile solution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Verified. Formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of Win8.1 fixes the crashed apps problem. They all work fine.

EDIT: NO FIX! It seems that the latest "updates" prevent some of the apps from working for me, i.e Newegg. It worked while I was building my machine and before an update or two. Afterwards, it crashed to the desktop. some of the apps just need to be updated!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Working with a Samsung 8.1 tablet

Rock, the reason why I copied over the post is that I scared the hello out a user when I said that they may need to reinstall to fix the apps crash as a last resort. Knowing someone who did exactly that and that it fixed the apps crashing is just collaboration of my own feelings. A desperate act but for someone who depends on the start menu like the user who is using a Win8.1 tablet, it may be a worthwhile solution.

John - I think the reason it didn't occur to you that I was working on a tablet was because for the last approx 20 years, I've had good, high end desktops. And for the last 10 years, I've had my desktops made to specs (order). I'm a part time photographer and as a result, need a high end system with a calibrated monitor etc. to run LR and Photoshop and now, Capture One as well. BUT - my desktop is Windows 7 and yes, I've had to reinstall it twice over the course of replacing an SSD etc. I have about 4 tb in 5 hard drives, 24 gig of ram, etc.

But I fell in love with my Samsung S4 phone (my second Android device), and when I saw the tablet, which had a good screen, a Wacom pen, usb ports etc., I decided it would be really nice to have something to hang out with, curl up and watch a film etc. And yes, the idea of trying to work with the tablet and reinstall an OS that I've yet to find much fondness for, was beyond me. The thing I did like (since I'm quite fond of Android), were the apps. But I fear Microsoft just lacks the "app gene" :)

However, I've found a work around that seems solid and I will now create a separate post for that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 400 chip
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    on screen, or bluetooth
    Internet Speed
    1 gig
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security
I think I found a fix for most app problems

Having become pretty convinced that Microsoft will never figure out how to make the apps work - and keep working. And also being very disappointed with the quality of their apps, I started thinking more broadly.

I noticed when my desktop (win 7 pro) upgraded Chrome, Google was advertising that they had many apps that, if you're running Chrome, you can also use in a separate desktop icon window (my words), on most of the major browsers.

Thinking that Google knows a lot more about apps (Android), and being unable to fix most of the apps in Win 8.1, I looked further. I did the following - and so far, almost two days, it is working. Not all the Google apps are wonderful, but I've found them more than adequate and usually superior to MS versions.

for Win 8.1

Start by installing or updating to the most recent version of Chrome. Then make Chrome your default browser. On the upper left of Chrome is a small, many colored button which opens up their app store, or as they then call it, their "web store". Although it's called a store, everything I wanted was free and about 95% of what's available is free.

When you click on the app button it will bring up some pre-selected apps which you can choose or delete before completing the project. On the lower right is a link to the web store. Then start going through the store (yes - they have a search), and choosing the apps you want to have available as apps. Chrome will install them one by one. They have a You Tube App that works, they have the "real" version of Pocket, a fantastic Tetris, a Vimeo that works, Drop Box, Pandora, BBC, a sketching program and all the standards as well.

When you've chosen all the apps you want, you will want to create what they refer to as the Chrome App Launcher which Chrome will install on your desktop as a shortcut with all the chosen apps. This url will provide info on doing it but I found it self evident after collecting all the apps I wanted: https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/3060053?hl=en-GB

So now, you're in win 8.1 running some windows apps that do work, and some Chrome apps that also work from the Chrome Launcher. NO PROBLEM.

Make sure you stay signed into Chrome as many apps require it.

Then, change your default back to whatever browser you prefer. I myself prefer Firefox. So my default browser is Firefox again.

I can open the Windows apps that work and that I like, without any trouble. I can also open the Chrome App Launcher, which is now an icon on my start menu (and my taskbar), and I can run any of the Chrome Apps. The Chrome Apps seem to often make use of Chrome, but they do not require that it be the default browser.

So far, so good. I can run my preferred browser which is Firefox at the moment, and I can open any Chrome app and any Windows App. Firefox remains my default and I hope to go a long time without using IE.

This App issue was the only major problem I had with 8.1. Fortunately, within a few days after installing 8.1, Samsung (the tablet manufacturer), quickly updated the graphics drivers.

I have hope :) I hope this description is clear but if not, please post back and I'll check.

I have to say it seems a little pathetic that Chome came to Microsoft's rescue, and I recognize some of it is straight competition, but it's been very helpful. I'm going to try to paste a little cutout from my desktop:

chrome apps on desktop.PNG

I hope this can also help some others.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 400 chip
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    on screen, or bluetooth
    Internet Speed
    1 gig
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security
hi everyone

least important things first: i'm a veeeery inexperienced user, the kind of guy whose only interest is that things work, not how they work.

Anyway... until 2 days ago everything was fine until suddenly ALL my apps quit working except camera and skydrive (even the store didn't work). I clicked on them, colored screen came up an a bunch of tenth of a second later i was back on the desktop with apps still kind of running (moving the cursor to the upper left corner showed, they were still there, but if i clicked on them, the colored screen came back and soon later i was on the desktop again).

All the advices mentioned until now (except the complete reinstall) didn't work. Today i did a system recovery to 5 days ago. Restart, metroscreen comes up (didn't have classic shell installed 5 days ago) and interestingly all the apps (except the store app) have a tiny black X in the bottom right corner. If i click on any of them a prompt comes up "app cannot start, [go to store for more information]" (or something like that, my windows is german). Anyway... i click on the link that redirects me to the store and...

TADAAA!!!

"your developers licence has expired"

now, as i you can imagine, i have no clue what to do, mostly because i wasn't even aware of having a developers license. And i even if i did, i wouldn't know what to do with it, since i'm as much a developer as a butcher is brainsurgeon.

hope this information is usefull to somebody.

UPDATE
as said above, getting my system back to five days ago, got my store back to work. After that (and the trouble with the licence and the back X on the apps) i did all the app updates and found out about the "sync licences" button. Either that or updating the apps did the trick. Everything is fine now... lets see for how long.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Louise, good news as I found that reinstalling did not permanently fix my problematic apps as I edited above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Having become pretty convinced that Microsoft will never figure out how to make the apps work - and keep working. And also being very disappointed with the quality of their apps, I started thinking more broadly.

Thanks for this info, Louise. I have intentionally stayed away from the App Store because most of what's there either doesn't fit my needs or is just plain buggy. I don't play games (except for solitaire) and have most everything I need with my (not Microsoft) store-bought programs and some long-time used free apps. However, The Chrome web store looks interesting and I'll give it a looksee.

Note to self: Install Chrome . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I gave in and did the full reinstall of Windows 8.1, which of course involved taking it back to 8.0 first, running windows update, then finally upgrading to 8.1...Pain in the butt.

But it worked, and all my apps function...so far. Now I have to reinstall all my software and various drivers. After EACH AND EVERY SINGLE driver and software installation I am rebooting the PC and checking a handful of apps before proceeding to the next install. It is a slow and tedious process, but I hope that way I can identify the source of the problem if it comes back. Wish me luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    Intel Core-i7 (4th Gen) 3.4GHz
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7570
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
EDIT: NO FIX! It seems that the latest "updates" prevent some of the apps from working for me, i.e Newegg. It worked while I was building my machine and before an update or two. Afterwards, it crashed to the desktop. some of the apps just need to be updated!

That is just plain weird. I have the NewEgg app too and I open it several times a day on all three computers (gotta love the Egg) and I haven't had a problem since reformatting. I wonder what could be causing that app to crash on your computer? Do you know if it was a specific update that caused it to fail?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    32 GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX TITAN
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q 27" overclocked to 85Hz
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB;
    Western Digital Black 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200i
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    Custom Water Loops
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19S
    Mouse
    Logitech G700S
    Other Info
    Yes, I just LOVE this system!! I've never had anything this nice, ever. It may take me a year to pay it off, but it was soooo worth it.
That is just plain weird. I have the NewEgg app too and I open it several times a day on all three computers (gotta love the Egg) and I haven't had a problem since reformatting. I wonder what could be causing that app to crash on your computer? Do you know if it was a specific update that caused it to fail?

Nope. It was working on my reformat (I did that on another SSD and now I am back on the original) and it worked fine up to the point where it didn't. It worked AFTER I did the Win8.1 release final so that wasn't it. Perhaps there is some program or update that kills it, I am clueless. Let me try to uninstall/ reinstall it for the 20th time... Nope, still crashes to the desktop. Only one of two of them that does this.

2013-12-25 EDIT The last major windows 8.1 update FIXED my crashing apps.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
reinstall didn't work

Louise, good news as I found that reinstalling did not permanently fix my problematic apps as I edited above.

John - I'm really sorry to hear that. My Newegg and Amazon from MS work fine so I didn't replace either of them with Chrome apps. But if Newegg is impt. to you, use the Chrome "trick" I outlined. You'll also then be prepared should other apps fail. I gave fairly detailed instructions but it didn't actually take very long to do.

BTW, you are, of course quite right about backing up. On my desktop I use cloud backup Crashplan and I use Macrium Pro to an external USB 3 drive every day or two. I'm actually pretty fanatical and it has saved me.

My Crashplan Plus subscription allows for another computer and I will back up the tablet that way every once in a while. But given that you now know my specs etc., what backup program(s) would you recommend?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 400 chip
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    on screen, or bluetooth
    Internet Speed
    1 gig
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security
Louise, nah, no app is important to me and would never use them. I am getting to like the news and financial apps now as I use them for testing. Newegg is actually better on a browser, I would just use it for looking at sales stuff every blue moon or so.

Glad to hear you have a backup plan. My advice? "Anything that works for you". No backup procedure is worth anything if you do not use it. If you use your program and you have tested it to be sure you can recover stuff from it, that is the BEST plan you can have. Me personally, I just buy a bunch of hard drives and put them into a SATA cradle and do a "copy with an attitude" (it updates only new or changed files and deletes the ones not on the original- part of Directory Opus). I clone my boot SSD. I do this once a month. Important stuff is copied on one of the other three computers in the house as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Important news. On another post here about sleep issues, we have found that the new Skydrive integration in the Win8.1 update is interfering with the basic operations of our computers. By disabling Skydrive in the group policy or by a reg edit shown by one of Brinks tutorials and disabling all of the Skydrive syncing, the computer is freed from the tyranny of the new Skydrive.

This MAY have something to do with why apps are crashing as they are unable to pull sync information while loading. NO GUARANTEES but it is something to look at.

here is the post. Post 325 shows how to disable Skydrive :
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep-33.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866