Solved Windows 8.1 install is driving me crazy!

jkelol111

EHi everyone,

This is the n-th time I'm attempting a Windows 8.1 install to no avail. The computer in question is the HP All-in-one 20-040d (originally shipped with Windows 10 Creators Update, wiped it for Linux, now trying to get 8.1 working).

The steps I did are:
1. Download a Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft: Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (I downloaded the English Windows 8.1 x64 ISO thrice, using FCIV from Microsoft gives me the same MD5 hash for all three ISOs)
2. Used Rufus to make the bootable USB disk (all are done on the same USB drive)
3. Plugged into the All-in-one, press F9 to interrupt boot and select boot device, selected the USB disk as per usual (BIOS/UEFI Secure Boot is off, TPM is visible)
4. Selected language as per downloaded ISO (English (United States))
5. Clicked Install Now, Setup prompts me to enter a key, and I promptly did so, and hit next. A EULA for Windows 8.1 Pro came up (presumably because my key is for Windows 8.1 Pro). I accepted it of course.
6. Completely deleted any partitions on the Hard disk, and clicked New, and Apply. Selected the Primary partition and clicked Next.
7. Setup begins the installation. Copying Windows files went by quickly (it was just 0% and done (tick next to it)). Getting files ready for installation got to around 30-50% and aborted with error code 0x80070570 every time.

Note that the same USB drive was used to successfully install Ubuntu before, and hasn't been in use since. If I used the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10, it would create a Windows 10 USB installer fine, but right after clicking Install Now, it would give me 'A media driver for a device is missing, blah blah...', while Windows 8.1 setup never threw that error, yet it would fail as mentioned above (a.k.a the 'media driver' is in the 8.1 image and not the 10 image?)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated Graphics
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge Dev
1) after deleting all partitions - do not create any - allow installation to the unallocated drive space.
2) you may need to download and provide the Mass Storage Driver for you HDD/SDD
3) i've never had to use Rufus to create installation media - Just Fat32 formatted USB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
1) after deleting all partitions - do not create any - allow installation to the unallocated drive space.
2) you may need to download and provide the Mass Storage Driver for you HDD/SDD
3) i've never had to use Rufus to create installation media - Just Fat32 formatted USB

1) Tried that too, no dice.
2) I couldn't find any, and if that was the issue, Linux wouldn't install too.
3) Tried that too, got to around 50% and same error.

Any help please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge Dev
HP website requires serial number to access driver downloads...
was looking to see what OEM drivers are used...

Another method is to use WinPE to "Apply" the image rather then "Setup" the image

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
HP website requires serial number to access driver downloads...
was looking to see what OEM drivers are used...

Another method is to use WinPE to "Apply" the image rather then "Setup" the image

I tried the WinPE Rescue Disk in your signature and it worked great. Booted up fine, recognized all the internal partitions. But again, I tried an MSDN download of 8.1 and...it still fails, now with error 0xc0000005 at 50%- which could be related to a missing driver or file? Or Windows Setup not recognizing the internal drive by chance?

Oh btw, here's the link to the support downloads page for the HP: HP All-in-One - 20-c042d - Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Now I'm attempting to load up Windows 10 1903 via an SD Card to see if it is really due to the USB being faulty (very unlikely).

Any help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge Dev
Got Windows 8.1 loaded through an SD card! Turns out the USB stick was bad. Thanks @KYHI for the help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)