• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 8.1 flickers between Start up Screen to Desktop

SGrock

After start-up and when I click on the desktop tile, my windows 8.1 HP Envy laptop flickers between the Start up screen with all the tiles to the desktop then to a blue screen then back to the Start up Screen with all the tile and so on.

Can't seem to get off that merry go-round. HP Tech support has me hitting the F11 key to get me to recovery manager so I can back up my files.

Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
My 8.0 laptop does the same thing. I have been told it is from 2 trojans and hundreds of corrupt files. I have been trying to reset to factory but it will not work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    Dell Inspirion 15r 5521
I had this same frustrating issue & this was how I resolved it.

1. Since the flashing screen couldn't allow me restart my PC in safe mode, I pressed the power button to force a shut down.
2. I pressed the power button to start up and pressed the power button again after 2 secs to create an unusual shutdown.
3. On next attempt to start up (by pressing power button again), Windows tried to repair startup so I could now boot into safe mode with networking.
4. I already realised the flashing issue had to do with my Norton 360 installation so I had to find a way to properly uninstall it.
5. I Googled "Norton_Removal_Tool" from Norton and downloaded it.
6. Since safe mode wouldn't normally allow installations, I downloaded "SafeMSI" to enable me install/unistall in safe mode.
7. After running "Safe MSI", I installed "Norton_Removal_Tool" to remove all Norton products/services.
8. The above action demanded a restart which I obliged to.
9. Non essential step: I ran Malwarebytes to confirm that all is alright & switched to a new antivirus.
10. My PC is back and happy again : )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 8