• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 8.1 Boot Order ?

Vanna

Hi.

I had to downgrade Windows 10 to 8 on an offline computer. As I installed all the software... one of them required the internet... so, I connected it so that it could get itself the software it needed. At one point, the computer was forced into a restart. After it came back up, the PC became stuck in a boot loop.

I managed to successfully install 8.1 from a 16 GB USB flash drive (same language version, so the "Windows" folder became "Windows.OLD") that was formatted with the Windows 8.1 ISO (using Rufus). So, all my documents & software apps are STILL THERE, just under this new "Windows.OLD" folder.

The computer is 64-bit ASUS Essentio Series 6870 CF / Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz) / 16 GB DDR3 w/ a NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 2GB Graphics Card.

It got to the sign on screen ONCE (during the many restarts) & required a password I never knew I had placed on it (an "Administrator" ACCOUNT). Now, it doesn't even get that far. I've tried everything from "Diagnosing your PC" (which goes to a BSOD saying to press F8, which does not work on this PC for some reason & to press F9 for a restart, which DOES work from this screen) to all the other WRE options available.

I am not sure what the boot order should be now. Any ideas on what the BIOS boot settings should be? Been trying to figure this out for days now. I think this is where the issue lies.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    ASUS Essentio Series 6870 CF
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz)
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 2GB

ceo54

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly but I think your problem is related to being unable to sign-in your PC. But first, take a look at this post:

KB2919355 Issues:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    Intel 1.3

Vanna

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly but I think your problem is related to being unable to sign-in your PC. But first, take a look at this post:

KB2919355 Issues:
I am having an issue with BIOS settings. I downgraded from Windows 10 to 8 and then back up to 8.1. I used Rufus to set a USB boot drive with the 8.1 O/S. I need to know which settings Windows 8.1 should have in order to BOOT UP from the PC and not the USB drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS Essentio Series 6870 CF
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz)
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3