Windows 8.1 'Blue' preview: It beats Windows 8

Yesterday at the Microsoft Build conference in San Francisco, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Windows dev chief Julie Larson-Green introduced the one-and-only "Milestone Preview" of Windows 8.1 (aka Windows "Blue"), touting its remarkable improvements over the much-maligned Windows 8 and Windows RT.
In the 24 hours since, I've had a chance to kick the Preview's tires a bit and look under the hood, employing the jaundiced eye of a longtime Windows veteran who isn't the least bit impressed with Windows 8's Jekyll-and-Hyde approach. What I see leaves me more convinced than ever that Microsoft is running Windows into the ground.

Here's the good news: Windows 8.1 isn't worse than Windows 8.
If you're forced to use Windows 8 or if you're one of the 1 percent (OK, 5 percent) who actually prefer Win8 over Win7, Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 are shaping up to be must-have updates.

While most of the features in Windows 8.1 should have been in Windows 8, my hat's off to the engineering work done on the update. Microsoft has put together an enormous number of improvements, and it's well on the way to shipping them in less than a year. That has to be the fastest "version 2.0" of a major product in Microsoft history. Plus, it establishes a cadence of annual, substantive updates that Microsoft claims it can maintain.
You can install and run the beta, but it would be wise to understand the limitations first. The final version of Windows 8.1 is widely expected in August or possibly September.
Windows 8.1 'Blue' preview: Well, it beats Windows 8 | Microsoft Windows - InfoWorld

eNuff about that start button. We pretty much knew it was going to be a Start Screen Shortcut :orb: which Brink has made available from here "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 since day 1.

The one aggravating factor about 98, XP, Vista & 7 was after logging in to the desktop and programs are loading. Being in a hurry and familiar with what I needed from start menu. I would click the start button, the menu would pop out and before I could click an item on the menu, a program finished loading and the menu disappeared.
That has not happened in 8 because we log into the start menu and it opens on the desktop. (Unless it is a Modern App)

Why is nobody commenting about the new tile controls that are suppose to be available in 8.1 ?

Why is nobody commenting about the new split portion sizes and multiple windows on the Modern side ?

In my case, because:

A/ I don't consider them to be improvements, merely moving deck-chairs. Small tiles did look good till I discovered that they wouldn't work on real programs, only 'apps'. The split-screen aspect of Metro is irrelevant, as I do not attempt to do serious work anywhere but the desktop, with any number of multiple, resizeable WINDOWS (remember them?) open. This will not be changing.

B/ That blasted "cloud' mentality overarches the whole OS, and I want NO part of that.

C/ The serious (desktop) user is still under the bus.

D/ They appear to have deliberately broken the fixes developed to rectify the mistakes they made in 8 and compounded in 8.1.

I could tolerate/work around most of the non-improvements, but will not countenance the blatant, in-your-face net-centricity of 8.1.

I hated the little of that there was in 8, so 8.1 won't be getting a look-in. I simply can't be bothered going through all the rigmarole again just to get a usable OS without the rubbish.

Sorry, not impressed at all. I'll be staying on Win 7/8.0. 8.1 may go into my OS collection in V-Box as a curiosity (then I can easily cut off net-access), but that'll be about it at this stage.

Wenda.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Why is nobody commenting about the new tile controls that are suppose to be available in 8.1 ?

Why is nobody commenting about the new split portion sizes and multiple windows on the Modern side ?

Might be because not many like the Metro side of Window 8.
:thumb: As Sherlock Holmes was want to say: Elementary my dear Watson!"
Blind man on a galloping horse could see that! :dinesh:

@ pcRat What you say is like a salesman pointing out all the great navigating features on a boat, when the buyer wants a car with a SAT/NAV.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
eNuff about that start button. We pretty much knew it was going to be a Start Screen Shortcut :orb: which Brink has made available from here "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 since day 1.

The one aggravating factor about 98, XP, Vista & 7 was after logging in to the desktop and programs are loading. Being in a hurry and familiar with what I needed from start menu. I would click the start button, the menu would pop out and before I could click an item on the menu, a program finished loading and the menu disappeared.
That has not happened in 8 because we log into the start menu and it opens on the desktop. (Unless it is a Modern App)

May be they are pretty much useless to many as they haven't got the devices to try them or want to use those features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hi there
Well it WORKS for me. OK not perfect but perfectly useable (needs a little work though and that's what Ms really needs to do - make the OOB experience better).

It's NOT Windows 7 -- and for those that want a Windows 7 interface -- STAY ON THAT SYSTEM.

I'm quite happy to have an OS that works with NEWER devices too -- I don't even mind some touch stuff on a laptop (but don't even THINK of putting your fingers anywhere near my large LCD screen !!).

I really don't have any problems running ANY classic desktop application just like I ran it in W7 (or earlier). OK it means re-arranging some of the tiles and messing around tidying up after installing applications but that's usually a ONE OFF type of job. Boot to desktop also removes any of the start screen irritation I might have and using a custom toolbar gives me a decent "menu" type of system as well without needing any 3rd party stuff. (Scrshot shown below)

I don't mind being able to have some dynamically changing applications viewable at the same time as doing ordinary work --for example if you are interested in Stock Market data it's quite nice to have a Real time streaming data app on your desktop INDEPENDANT of any your broker might have provided.

@ Brummyfan -- regarding Metro stuff.

The main problem with the current crop of Metro apps is that they are essentially RUBBISH -- probably written by some sub-teens who have yet to experience a REAL WORKPLACE and also through no fault of their own haven't got any experience of what people might want as REAL applications that are better than games and small apps suitable for running on Mobile Phones. I expect though some to be quite good soon -- as happened with Gadgets in VISTA / W7 -- the original ones were just junk too.

The application INSTALL process is better in W 8.1 than W8 but it still needs to be tidied up.

However W8.1 is definitely an improvement over W8 -- although still IMO not a totally finished product yet.

I'm also not sure what the problem is with The Cloud -- I'm not using it and I can't see anywhere in W8 or W8.1 where you are forced in any way to have ANYTHING to do with it if you don't want to -- just use a LOCAL account when you install the OS.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• menu.png
    menu.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 171

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi jimbo,
There's no option to sign in with local account when you install with iso image on a separate partition, I don't mind signing in with Microsoft account but I feel slight discomfort as if I'm being watched.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Well, there is new news everyday about same thing, so basically in all these news discussions are the same. There is one thing, that could change it (about windows 8), but i bet this world wouldnt like it veeeery much, so. Nothing in this world goes as it should or as we want, and there is no peaceful way to change it, and even that other way is not much of a solution, as it would expand to much and there wouldnt left anyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
Hi jimbo,
There's no option to sign in with local account when you install with iso image on a separate partition, I don't mind signing in with Microsoft account but I feel slight discomfort as if I'm being watched.

You can actually sign in locally when you install from an ISO, they just hid it. If you enter an invalid Microsoft account ID when you are prompted, it will return an error and the installer will give you the option of signing in locally or retrying. I found this by mistake because I stuffed up my password with a valid email address.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
Boot to desktop also removes any of the start screen irritation I might have and using a custom toolbar gives me a decent "menu" type of system as well without needing any 3rd party stuff. (Scrshot shown below)

Hi Jimbo!

Cool sollution you have there with the custom toolbar.

I've one question about it. Did you link the custom toolbar to some already excisting directory? Or did you first create the 'menu' yourself in some directory?

Greetz,

Rover

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
Hi jimbo,
T I don't mind signing in with Microsoft account but I feel slight discomfort as if I'm being watched.

many people on meds feel the same way .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Hi jimbo,
T I don't mind signing in with Microsoft account but I feel slight discomfort as if I'm being watched.

Nothing at all with a healthy dose of Paranoia. With both Microsoft and Google I stay logged out as much as possible. After all you are the "product" on their free services.

I cannot see any reason to make life even easier for them or the NSA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
Hi jimbo,

Nothing at all with a healthy dose of Paranoia. With both Microsoft and Google I stay logged out as much as possible. After all you are the "product" on their free services.

I cannot see any reason to make life even easier for them or the NSA

If you visit the internet, use a cell phone, or even go outside someone is watching. Might not be right or fair, but it is the reality we live in. With that I say live life and stop worrying... they've already go enough info on us already ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Hi jimbo,

Agree.

You can switch to a local account and turn off some of the other spying , eg, smartcreen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Last time I was on a plane an English guy said to me -- How can you tell that there's a load of "Aussies" on this flight -- answer -- we've landed, the captain has switched the Engines off but the Whining hasn't stopped. !!!!
That's strange. Last time I was meeting someone arriving at the international airport, a guy from Iceland came up to me and asked if I could give him a dollar as he needed it for his fare to get back home.

I gave him $10,000 and told him to take 9,999 of his mates with him for the crime of telling pathetic jokes.
:doh:

Then there was the story of the Icelandic man who installed central heating in his igloo and when it "burnt" down, (melted), tried to claim it on insurance.

Jimbo methinks the cold in your igloo has affected the brain cells mate. Or was it one too many blubber juices? :dinesh:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Just realize that Microsoft isn't going to go back. They're just going to go forward by refining the user interface.
And when they've finished refining it to get ultimate performance and efficiency it will look exactly like the Windows 7 GUI ... and not a Tablet/Smartfone GUI. Already the smaller tiles are starting to mimic normal desktop icons. All Metro needs now is a traditional start menu.

In terms of efficiency Winy7 GUI leaves W8 for dead. The most M$ can hope for is the most efficient Tablet GUI. But compared to Win7 it's chalk and cheese.

Sure horses for courses, but give traditional desktop users the course they want ... and keep Metro for those who want it.

But no, Mighty Mouse M$ know what's best for us. Yeah, in ya dreams! :confused:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Only time will tell

Just realize that Microsoft isn't going to go back. They're just going to go forward by refining the user interface.

That remains to be seen.

If W8.1 is a wild success, then MS will keep pushing tablet GUIs onto everyone's PCs.

If it bombs like W8, then a lot of people will lose their jobs (hopefully only upper management) and MS will give up on it and return to a more traditional GUI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Hi jimbo,

Agree.

You can switch to a local account and turn off some of the other spying , eg, smartcreen.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hi jimbo,

Agree.

You can create a local account, but as yet I have not been able to create an Admin account (apart from the MS one), only 'user' accounts..

Not much use to me, so I stayed on the MS account. I'll play around with it some more when the setup is complete (well, the OS and some programs are installed, but there's still lots more to do).

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Agree.

You can create a local account, but as yet I have not been able to create an Admin account (apart from the MS one), only 'user' accounts..

Not much use to me, so I stayed on the MS account. I'll play around with it some more when the setup is complete (well, the OS and some programs are installed, but there's still lots more to do).

Wenda.

I changed the Local account to Admin from Standard type but when I log in with local account some features won't preform well enough, for example Frequent sites won't load correctly for me, so I also continue to use Microsoft account, I feel the pain of screw tightening :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Do you really think that most of us are incapable ! Most people here, including those who complain about Windows 8/8.1, can adapt to any innovation or change. What is being discussed here is that we do know what is better for us, not Microsoft or any other company. Innovation is good, but listening to the consumers is a way to demonstrate respect. Don't get me wrong, but you went wrong with your words.

"The Customer is always right" has been proven to be a fallacy. The problem is, which customer? What happens one two customers are contradictory? What happens when a customer demands things that are unreasonable? What happens when a customer just doesn't understand the reasons for a change? What happens when a customer demands things that violate the law?

That last one is important. Did you know that Windows must meet legal requirements for disabled users? That means providing high contrast themes for those with color blindness or cataracts.. That means providing API's for screen readers for the blind. That means making the user interface work better for people with poor motor skills.

The change to the start menu was not 100% driven by tablets.. there were many other factors, such as the fact that the start menu became unusable after a certain number of applications were installed, and the fact that it was difficult to navigate by people with motor control issues. Tablets were another reason, of course, and was key in defining the way the new start screen was designed, but the move away from the old menu was something that would have happened regardless.

The old start menu is dead, and will never come back (officially) from Microsoft, and no matter how much people whine or complain, it won't change it. They have many reasons for ditching the old menu, and some of them have legal repercussions.

The fact is, Microsoft can't "listen to the customer" because for every customer that wants A, another customer hates A. So saying that listening is a sign of respect just doesn't understand how customer service actually works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Maybe i'm missing something, but what's wrong with creating a new account, going into the account properties and changing it from Standard to Administrator?

I do notice that if you use the Metro UI to change the user to Administrator, I get "an error occurred". But if you open up the Manage Accounts applet from control panel, you can do so without a problem. this is most likely a bug. It also does the same thing if you try to change from Administrator to Standard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650