Windows 8.1 Activation failed on cloned drives

mrmajestic

I just built a news system and did a clean install of 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Activated it without problems and did a clone to file using Paragon. Copied the clone to multiple drives to use on the same computer, to keep gaming on a separate disk. Everything worked perfectly until this morning when windows says its not activated and key is in use on another computer. The key has been used, but I swapped out the motherboard, cpu and ram and did a fresh install. The activation work without a hitch, but now activation has failed. Its only been running a few days, but I've been able to swap drives without a hitch. Is it the fact that I use multiple disks on the same computer or is it the fact that I have previosly used this key on different hardware? The key is not installed on any other computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I believe that a new motherboard is seen as a different computer by Windows. If the Registration key has been used on another motherboard, it will say the activation is in use on another computer when the motherboard is changed.

If you have an OEM version of Windows (pre-installed by the PC manufacturer), a new motherboard is considered a new computer and you can't transfer the Registration key.

A retail version of Windows can be transferred, that's one reason it costs more. If you have a retail version of Windows, you have to call Microsoft to transfer the activation to the new motherboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R - 5737
    CPU
    Intel i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz, UMA)
    Memory
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2) Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD+
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital, 1-TB WD Blue SATA III, 5400 RPM, 8 MB Cache
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500
    Internet Speed
    20 mb up / 17 mb down
    Browser
    Google Chrome 64-bit
    Antivirus
    MS Defender / Malwarebytes PRO
What Antilope said , OEM copies are only supposed to be used on the PC it was originally installed on , if you change the MB , that's not considered the same PC , you'd have to buy a full copy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    12 TB in 6 disks
    PSU
    TX650
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    Intellimouse 3.0
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbits
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro
Its not an OEM version, its a retail pro license. And it activated without complaint before I cloned it. I had to do a phone activation, but it didn't say anything about it being used on another computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
There is a tolerance built into the amount of hardware changes that can be done - by far the most relates to Mobo - thereafter CPU, graphics and HDD... You are now probably 'out of tolerance' and need to speak to M$ support.

PS: Even though it activated before - telephone activation is a "secondary" offline activation compared to online and Software protection checks online at regular intervals.

EDIT:
See here: http://searchitchannel.techtarget.com/feature/How-Windows-7-hardware-upgrades-affect-licensing

I stand corrected - HDD has lower tolerance than graphics...

The actual algorithm that Microsoft uses is not disclosed, but we do know the weighting of components is as follows, from highest to lowest:
  • Motherboard (and CPU)
  • Hard drive
  • Network interface card (NIC)
  • Graphics card
  • RAM

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
The only hardware that changed since activation is the harddrive. I did this before on Windows 7 without issue, but I guess something changed with Windows 8.

Is there some kind of deactivation that has to be done before moving the license?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Unfortunately not, only way is to talk to a support guy and explain - they can then clear the activation server of your existing activation ID.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
So even if the activation over phone goes without error, it will still fail again? Or is this because Im running it on multiple drives on the same computer?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
So even if the activation over phone goes without error, it will still again? Or is this because Im running it on multiple drives on the same computer?

Yes you are only allowed one installation per product Key.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10837-windows-8-eula.html

Maybe I was a bit fuzzy with the question. I meant if I activate now, will it fail yet again because the first installation/hardware is still in Microsofts system attached to my key? Not switching drives for arguments sake.

Just tying to figure out why this doesnt work, since it did on Windows 7. Swapping disks with a cloned installation that is.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
According to the EULA for Windows 8 retail http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j...Wj1VazYFsDTiP_hPA&sig2=BvwYB4vt-CGAhSdybLAXbg

bla bla one copy on one computer (the licensed computer)

Where a computer is
a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a computer. The software is licensed to run on only one processor on the licensed
computer.

I'm not a lawyer but there are plenty of people with opinions one way or the other as to whether running 2 separate versions one for games and one not constitutes two or one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Maybe I was a bit fuzzy with the question. I meant if I activate now, will it fail yet again because the first installation/hardware is still in Microsofts system attached to my key? Not switching drives for arguments sake.

Just tying to figure out why this doesnt work, since it did on Windows 7. Swapping disks with a cloned installation that is.

In Windows 7 Software protection (sppsvc.exe) was static and only ran when called... thus moving an activated system to new hardware will remain as is (if not manually running sppsvc) - i.e. the activation server won't know about the new hardware.

In Windows 8 it is a scheduled service - thus even if an activated system is moved to new hardware - as soon as the service runs on schedule it checks online with the new hardware configuration - and you will then be flagged.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max