Windows 7 from usb to Lenovo G505; Rufus Error...

strings8

Hello All... I got Lenovo G505 as gift from someone which has 2Gb ram, 1Ghz CPU with 64 bit windows 8... I didn't like Windows 8 so wanted to install Win 7 from USB, so i prepared Win7 usb with PowerIso and tried to change bios to boot from usb, there i got puzzled as it was different than normal bios so i searched and changed UEFI into Legacy Mode which made laptop boot from usb so i formatted hard drive in the set up as i was pretty confident the process would go smoothly but it said,"Windows can not be installed on this disk, The selected disk is of GPT Partition Style"... Searched brought me here where i started following RUFUS tutorial to make usb but as i clicked START after doing in initial steps, it game me following error...
Capture.JPG

Pardon me if my question is lengthy but i can't proceed without help now as my head is spinning.. Thanks :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 ultimate
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
changed UEFI into Legacy Mode which made laptop boot from usb so i formatted hard drive in the set up as i was pretty confident the process would go smoothly but it said,"Windows can not be installed on this disk, The selected disk is of GPT Partition Style"...

When downgrading the UEFI/BIOS firmware to Legacy, you most delete all partitions on the HDD to install Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Style"

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip   Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.png

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
Thanks guys for your valuable input.... I removed all the partitions and installed Windows 7 32 bit on my Lenovo G505... Btw i did it to make this machine run a bit faster as previously it was on 64 bit windows 8, so was it a right move?? Thanks Again!! :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 ultimate
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back