Windows 10 Available on July 29

On July 29, you can get Windows 10 for PCs and tablets by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer, or on a new Windows 10 PC from your favorite retailer. If you purchase a new Windows 8.1 device between now and then, the Windows 10 upgrade will be available to you and many retail stores will upgrade your new device for you.

The Windows 10 upgrade is designed to be compatible with your current Windows device and applications. We are hard at work to make this upgrade process a great experience. You can reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade now through a simple reservation process. Look for this icon in your system tray at the bottom of your screen, simply click on the icon, and then complete the reservation process. You can find more details on how this works at Windows.com.
Read more - Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29

Specifications and Requirements: Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

FAQ - Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft

Last edited by a moderator:
... also wonder if this is leading up to our free version for being an insider...

You don't get a "free version" for being an Insider.

Everyone with a licensed version of Win7/8/8.1 gets a free "upgrade" to Win10. That has nothing whatsoever to do with being an Insider.

If you stay with the Insider program after the 29th, you will continue to be able to use the "free version" of Win10 -- it will just continue to be updated periodically with new builds. But, it will eventually expire -- when the Insider program shuts down.

My Computer

... also wonder if this is leading up to our free version for being an insider...

You don't get a "free version" for being an Insider.

Everyone with a licensed version of Win7/8/8.1 gets a free "upgrade" to Win10. That has nothing whatsoever to do with being an Insider.

If you stay with the Insider program after the 29th, you will continue to be able to use the "free version" of Win10 -- it will just continue to be updated periodically with new builds. But, it will eventually expire -- when the Insider program shuts down.

:ditto: If you leave the insider program, you are subject to the same conditions of the free upgrade as everybody else. You need a qualifying OS for the free upgrade. Windows 7 with sp1 or Windows 8.1. If you stay, you need to upgrade to each new build or activation will time out for the build your on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Guys, I just received an email about what's going to happen on july the 29th when Windows 10 gets released.

I've got one question and I'm sorry if this has been asked countless of times:

Since I like reformatting my PC when a new Windows version is out, I was wondering if I'd be able to burn Windows 10 ISO on an USB disk, reformat my PC and then clean install Windows 10 from that USB disk WITHOUT installing Windows 8.1 first.

Will this be possible? If so, will my Windows 8.1 key work on the Windows 10 key prompt?

Gabe tweeted that clean installs will be allowed after you upgrade to Windows 10. What key you enter I don't know. My guess is you'll get a windows 10 key as part of the free upgrade.

Ah, now that's relieving. So I'd have to upgrade first from Windows 8.1 to be able to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 afterwards?

How to turn your Windows 10 upgrade files into an ISO disk image | ZDNet

P.S. -
For clean install create the install media (DVD or Flash drive) and boot with it.
(See ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Page 32 - Windows 10 Forums ).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
Forgive my lack of expertise but I have a question about upgrading which 'Insiders' may or may not have experience of.

As part of the 'inplace' upgrade apparently there is/will be a 'rollback' option to get back to Win 8.1 during the first 30 days after upgrade.

- Was this in the pre-release versions
- Did anyone have access to use it (ie if you did an upgrade)
- did it work well (for anyone who was able to try it).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro - 64Bit
    Acer 8930
    Memory
    6GB
    Hard Drives
    WD 300GB, WD 500GB
Gabe tweeted that clean installs will be allowed after you upgrade to Windows 10. What key you enter I don't know. My guess is you'll get a windows 10 key as part of the free upgrade.

Ah, now that's relieving. So I'd have to upgrade first from Windows 8.1 to be able to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 afterwards?

How to turn your Windows 10 upgrade files into an ISO disk image | ZDNet

P.S. -
For clean install create the install media (DVD or Flash drive) and boot with it.
(See ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Page 32 - Windows 10 Forums ).

Thanks for the answer but what I understood from alphanumeric now is that Microsoft will officially release an ISO of Windows 10 so it won't be necessary I think to do all those steps in your given link.

As long as it's possible to create a bootable USB disk with Windows 10 to reformat my PC and do a clean install with it, I'm happy.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (Update 1) Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Pro4 Z77
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX 660Ti
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HDS921010DLE630
My insider version is activated and has a key in the system with no expiration date so what does that mean it is my free copy of Windows 10 ready for thew updated officially release on July 29.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD5670

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR
Try---

screenshot_292.jpg

screenshot_293.jpg

Check Windows Update too--

screenshot_293.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Mine under activations says Windows 10 Pro and under that windows is activated or change key

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD5670
Okay, let's say that I have the Windows 8.1 installation disk. Let's say that, on this hardware, I updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free with the upgrade. Now, let's say more than one year has passed and I uninstall Windows 10 and put Windows 8.1 back onto the computer. Would I ever be able to get Windows 10 back for free?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel 5960x
    Motherboard
    MSI Gaming 7
    Memory
    32GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    x2 NVIDIA GTX 970
    Hard Drives
    256 GB Samsung 850 Pro (SSD)
    1TB Samsung 850 Pro (SSD)
    2 TB Seagate STBD2000101 (HDD)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 1000W Gold
    Case
    Corsair Graphite 760t
    Cooling
    Corsair H105
    Keyboard
    Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Alright
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    NOD32

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (Update 1) Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Pro4 Z77
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX 660Ti
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HDS921010DLE630
Okay, let's say that I have the Windows 8.1 installation disk. Let's say that, on this hardware, I updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free with the upgrade. Now, let's say more than one year has passed and I uninstall Windows 10 and put Windows 8.1 back onto the computer. Would I ever be able to get Windows 10 back for free?

Yes, you can reinstall Windows 10 on the device it was upgraded on, after the one year period expires. Clean installs will be doable on that hardware after you do the free upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Thanks, that's wonderful to hear. However, I'm assuming that, if I were to say, change the boot drive, the free upgrade wouldn't be possible anymore, would it? Here's the thing:
I don't have money for a whole new laptop. But my current one has one of those cheap 1TB slow HDDs in it and I'm thinking about replacing its boot drive with an SSD. But the problem is that I have no idea if I'll be able to legally get Windows 8.1 back onto this laptop because it came with with Windows 8 (not 8.1) pre-installed on it and the Windows 8.1 pro disc that I have is one that I've used on my Desktop instead. So the real question is:

Can I take my laptop's old HDD boot drive out, replace it with an SSD, then reinstall Windows 8 on it, do all of the Windows 8 updates and whatnot, and THEN install Windows 10 onto the laptop for free? I won't be able to use my desktop in college and I need my laptop to be as reliable as possible since I create videos and do heavy editing, but it's about 3 years old and the HDD's performance is deteriorating making it nearly unusable for video editing. The other components still work very well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel 5960x
    Motherboard
    MSI Gaming 7
    Memory
    32GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    x2 NVIDIA GTX 970
    Hard Drives
    256 GB Samsung 850 Pro (SSD)
    1TB Samsung 850 Pro (SSD)
    2 TB Seagate STBD2000101 (HDD)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 1000W Gold
    Case
    Corsair Graphite 760t
    Cooling
    Corsair H105
    Keyboard
    Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Alright
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    NOD32
Thanks, that's wonderful to hear. However, I'm assuming that, if I were to say, change the boot drive, the free upgrade wouldn't be possible anymore, would it? Here's the thing:
I don't have money for a whole new laptop. But my current one has one of those cheap 1TB slow HDDs in it and I'm thinking about replacing its boot drive with an SSD. But the problem is that I have no idea if I'll be able to legally get Windows 8.1 back onto this laptop because it came with with Windows 8 (not 8.1) pre-installed on it and the Windows 8.1 pro disc that I have is one that I've used on my Desktop instead. So the real question is:

Can I take my laptop's old HDD boot drive out, replace it with an SSD, then reinstall Windows 8 on it, do all of the Windows 8 updates and whatnot, and THEN install Windows 10 onto the laptop for free? I won't be able to use my desktop in college and I need my laptop to be as reliable as possible since I create videos and do heavy editing, but it's about 3 years old and the HDD's performance is deteriorating making it nearly unusable for video editing. The other components still work very well.
http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch...j2&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=USE+OEM+product+key

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

If you go here, Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help, you can download Windows 8.1 install media that will read and use Windows 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM embedded keys. I've tested it myself on my laptop that now has an SSD in it. You just have to download and install the version matching what was installed at the factory. My laptop came with Windows 8.0 (Core) so I downloaded Windows 8.1 and used that. It read an used my 8.0 OEM key, installed without asking for a key and activated online without issue. No having to install 8.0 and upgrade to 8.1. You'll be using your OEM key and be genuine so you can then get the free upgrade to Windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

What you wanted to do, I did it a week back. pl see my post
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/68859-change-hdd-ssd-asus-s400ca-laptop.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8.1;OSX 10.10.3;vb with debian,ubuntu and Windows 10 TP
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Vivobook S400CA
    CPU
    i5-3317U
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel4000
    Hard Drives
    HDD 500GB;24GB SSD Cache
About time windows 10 came out. Good riddance windows 8(.1)! I don't forsee even Microsoft repeating it's mistakes that it made with windows 8(.1) and I have to admit the brief look I had with build 10240 looks quite good, although only time will tell

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    RM
    Memory
    4 GB physical machine, various for VM's
    Screen Resolution
    1366*768
    Hard Drives
    Physical: 500GB Internal HDD (OS) & 2 additional drives (2TB & 4TB)
    Various for VMs
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    System Mechanic Professional 14 (System Shield) & AVG IS '15
Reports are coming in of the roll-out having begun - please check updates.

bJamUw4.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
In my Windows update it shows an update to Windows 10 is available to install (at 2.7GB) and as I have updates set to download but not install it is downloading as I write - slow connection (1Mb) so will take some time.

Does anyone know where the download is stored whilst waiting for me to install it?

[I have some questions about installing this, but I will start a separate thread rather than clog this one ;)]

EDIT:
Strange.
I have the install.esd file which is 2.63GB.
I have decrypted it and created an ISO which is now 3.73GB.
BUT there is still a large file downloading in the background and I don't know what that is - Anyone any idea if the sizes above are correct for the fully completed download???

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro - 64Bit
    Acer 8930
    Memory
    6GB
    Hard Drives
    WD 300GB, WD 500GB
On my asus tablet i never got the popup to reserve windows 10 nor the icon in the bottom of the taskbar. It is running 8.1 home. Al security and updates are up to date And i do not have the folders you are all talking about, so why can't this tablet get windows 10.?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Back