Window Explorer crashes in win 7, 8, 10

drum118

Windows Explorer crashes in win 7, 8, 10

I have not seen this with other releases from Win 95 Beta and not sure why it happening in win 8.1, but not win 8.

If I right click the left panel, to add something to a folder on another drive or move it to another drive, explorer crash. If I do it in the right panel no issues. This was before I rebuilt the system.

I just did a 4th reinstall on a new 2T drive since day one 10 days ago and now I can't do any moving of files or folder in any panel without crashing. I can send from x folder/drive to a drive, but not to the folder I want.

Using my lap top with win 7, started to experience the first win 8.1 issue and it has a strip down of programs on it.

I have now upgraded the laptop to win 10, and now getting the 2nd win 8.1 totally crash.

Have ran various programs to check the issues even to repair the system with no luck.

The other thing I have noticed since using Win 8.1, have lost 4 drives from 2T to 4T that were less than a year old.

I have also have to do CHKDSK of drives monthly as the file structure has come corrupted considering some of the drives are backup that have seen not new data added to them. It looks like I have a few more drives that may need replacing and will do the full check on them once the replacement drives arrive on Monday that had to be replace. What is also odd, I found CHKDSK found folders on drives only if I am using FTP on them, as they don't show up as non hidden files. I have see found CK folders on other other drives, but not the 4T that had 1,500 found CK only in FTP.

I have talked to MS help desk and was told they had to refer this issue to the engineers a week ago and haven't heard a thing since then.

Anyone else experiencing explore crashing? Is there an answerer to my issues??

Drives are 7200 Seagate and Western.

Thanks

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 2T, 3T, 3T, 4T 7200 rpm 64
    External WD 1.5T usb2 and 2T USB3
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
Just a thought, are you synchronised in Skydrive, if so it could be the faulty Explorer is replicated.
Try opening "Internet Options", cog top right hand corner, then click Advanced, then Reset.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Just a thought, are you synchronised in Skydrive, if so it could be the faulty Explorer is replicated.
Try opening "Internet Options", cog top right hand corner, then click Advanced, then Reset.
Not IE and not Synchronised in Skydrive, and its Windows Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
hello ,I know its only me ,but I find you post really hard to follow .maybe start with the laptop ,and give some detail as to what OS you have installed on it right now .how many hard drive are in the laptop

it seems weird that you computer is destroying hard drive ,
you are also using a desktop computer correct ,if so put one hard drive in it and install win10 and see how that works

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
hello ,I know its only me ,but I find you post really hard to follow .maybe start with the laptop ,and give some detail as to what OS you have installed on it right now .how many hard drive are in the laptop

it seems weird that you computer is destroying hard drive ,
you are also using a desktop computer correct ,if so put one hard drive in it and install win10 and see how that works
Win 7 was installed on the laptop. Just upgraded to Win 10.

With the win 8.1 and 10 issues with windows explorer, can't do any real testing for the win 10 on the laptop at this time. Most programs that are 5+ years old work on win 10 with no problem so far. Have one having issues with win 8.1 and 10 based on the current update of the software and most likely caused by the software manufacture.

Desktops are win 8.1.

Until I went with 8.1, drives last years for desktops. A couple of the desktop drives could be hard failure than soft failure. I have a new drive that a few weeks old and sound odd from time to time, but until I get the other drives this week, can't move the data and do a test on it since I no spare room for that data.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
I have been using win8 and 8.1 since they came,on 2 different desktops ,and still using the same hdd on both ,I assume you are referring to file corruption with some of your drives ,

and win10 is only a preview, so it has not even been released to manufactures yet ,for them to create device drivers ,so expect issues until the final release is out in the Fall

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
It just been confirm what I expected to happen and that is a full rebuilt for win 8.1.

Told to hold on until Sept when Win 10 is release to the public.

As for Win 10 issue since it has the win 8.1 issue, a rebuilt as well, but a later project. I know there will be issues with 10 as it still in testing and expect it.

File corruption on various drives is very concerning considering it can take up to 2 days to complete the CHKDSK repair based on the size and data on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI