window 8.1 32bit os to 64bit os!

V0r3X93

Hi can anyone please help me.
im trying to upgrade my system to a 64bit os

I followed the steps to download the windows 7 dvd usd tool to make removable usb bootable

then a warning came up saying bootsect.exe cant make the usb bootable

i found a download for the bootsect.exe but after i move it to the right folder with the win 7 dvd/usb, it tells me it cannot run on my pc.

i just want to be able to download a music app

this computer is refurbished and i can activate windows. im waiting to sort 32bit os to 64bitos before i download anything or get started.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I haven't used the Windows 7 tool so not sure what the problem is, you might want to try something like Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Make sure the drive is large enough, at least 8GB, formatted properly (FAT 32 is safe bet), and empty, no residual junk left on it. There's other free tools as well I'm mostly familiar with Rufus, it has always worked for me.

More importantly, verify you have a 64-bit CPU, not sure why anyone would install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable system but stranger things have happened... you can't install a 64-bit OS on a PC running a 32-bit (x86) CPU.

A free tool like CPU-Z will provide much information about your particular computer. You could also use File Explorer -> right-click This PC, select Properties to confirm you have a 64-bit capable machine. Look at the System section of the window, you want to see a 64-bit capable CPU listed.

HTH :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
Hi can anyone please help me.
im trying to upgrade my system to a 64bit os
...this computer is refurbished and i can activate windows. im waiting to sort 32bit os to 64bitos before i download anything or get started.
The usual reason a 64-bit capable machine is supplied with a 32-bit OS is lack of RAM. Although the minimum requirement for a 64-bit OS is 2GB RAM, it will be slow in use due to a lot of swapfile activity. 4GB is the minimum practical RAM for a 64-bit OS as far as I'm concerned.

The bad news is that you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. The only way make the change is a clean install of Windows, which will mean you loose all your installed apps and settings. You'll have to reinstall anything you want to keep, assuming you still have the install keys for things like MS Office, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
I haven't used the Windows 7 tool so not sure what the problem is, you might want to try something like Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Make sure the drive is large enough, at least 8GB, formatted properly (FAT 32 is safe bet), and empty, no residual junk left on it. There's other free tools as well I'm mostly familiar with Rufus, it has always worked for me.

More importantly, verify you have a 64-bit CPU, not sure why anyone would install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable system but stranger things have happened... you can't install a 64-bit OS on a PC running a 32-bit (x86) CPU.

A free tool like CPU-Z will provide much information about your particular computer. You could also use File Explorer -> right-click This PC, select Properties to confirm you have a 64-bit capable machine. Look at the System section of the window, you want to see a 64-bit capable CPU listed.

HTH :)
Thank you for getting back to me so soon.

Ive seen this rufus been spoken/writen about when looking up how to upgrade my pc but wasnt sure about it so kept to what i saw on videos. Yes my pc is compatible with 62 os. As I had to check to check that first. Will it to pretty much take the same steps. I presume the reason the way i was doing it with win 7 usb/dvd bootable download was because mine is win 8.1 which i think was deffo my problem thinking about it. Which lost me time. But hey ho. Will try using rufus sounds like a better shout.

Thqnk you so much! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
1. Download Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
2. Download Windows 8.1 ISO with your language and version (Home, Pro) which has been installed before.
3. Download Rufus
4. Make a bootable USB drive (4 Gb or more) with your ISO image.
5. Boot from USB and select an option to install Windows with keeping user files.
6. If you will be asked for a key, use either the key of previous installation, or a generic key which is suitable only for installation (OS will be activated anyway if it has been installed on that PC hardware and activated before).

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Thanks all, really has helped me loads.

So Ive done all those steps and set up the usb as the 1st place the pc shoup boot from ive installed the new win 8.1. Ive done the windows set up. Clicked any key to boot from usb. Now its just give me this blue screen with a moveable cursor. Ive tried to crtl alt delete but nothing comes up. I dont want to restart the come incase its meant to be doing this but i dont think its meant to be doing that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If your USB drive with Windows 8.1 installation cannot start, try to check it on a different PC. If all is OK, you will see at least the welcome screen with language selection and some other choices, then you can simply quit without any changes and harm to that PC.

If your USB drive works well itself, this usually means a hardware compatibility problem. From my experience, the most probable reason is in incompatible CPU, look at the official system requirements. Many old machines which still can work with Windows 7, for example, with Pentium 4, are not compatible. If your CPU is like Intel Core 2 or later, it should work; if between, depends on particular CPU. Use the utility CPU-Z to check whether your processor has PAE, NX, and SSE2 and whether it is 32 or 64-bit.

Less often, a problem may be in incompatibility of particular USB drive and USB port or its settings in BIOS. If so, try another port.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
1. Download Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
2. Download Windows 8.1 ISO with your language and version (Home, Pro) which has been installed before.
3. Download Rufus
4. Make a bootable USB drive (4 Gb or more) with your ISO image.
5. Boot from USB and select an option to install Windows with keeping user files.
6. If you will be asked for a key, use either the key of previous installation, or a generic key which is suitable only for installation (OS will be activated anyway if it has been installed on that PC hardware and activated before).

Good luck!

in between these steps, when creating a bootable USB drive from Rufus, check very carefully the Partition Scheme and Target System options in Rufus as it may default to UEFI & UEFI-GPT.
choose "MBR" and "BIOS (UEFI-CSM)" if the computer you are installing Win8.1 onto has a legacy BIOS (non-UEFI) [for old PCs]
otherwise, let Rufus choose the "UEFI" & "UEFI-GPT" options if the target computer has UEFI

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB