Win 8 pro upgrade wont install?

web

Is a downloaded win 8 pro upgrade tied to the actual copy of windows it was downloaded from? or can/will the upgrade work with a qualifying copy of said windows ?

So that said i downloaded win 8 pro upgrade using windows upgrade assistant from windows 7 ultimate, however when i try to run upgrade it has failed about four times now and always at the same stage, close to what i would assume to be near the end? of installation

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
web said:
Is a downloaded win 8 pro upgrade tied to the actual copy of windows it was downloaded from? or can/will the upgrade work with a qualifying copy of said windows ?

web said:
but as far as i can tell i loose all that for this upgrade to "one license of 64 bit win 8", cos i run the upgrade adviser in 64 bit win 7 ultimate (guessing u do the adviser in xp or any 32 bit version of windows u just get win 8, not pro?

The upgrade is Windows 8 Pro.

information   Information
If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.

If you would like to upgrade your Win XP PC, redownload on the Win XP PC or any Vista x32, Windows 7 x32.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13200-windows-8-upgrade-iso-redownload.html

web said:
So that said i downloaded win 8 pro upgrade using windows upgrade assistant from windows 7 ultimate, however when i try to run upgrade it has failed about four times now and always at the same stage, close to what i would assume to be near the end? of installation

Have you tried a clean install?
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi theog was confused at first but u used part off a post from different thread along the same theme i posted

so ill try clarify for this thread only i'm using 64 bit windows 7 ultimate this is the operating system i used the upgrade assitant to download 64 bit win 8 pro upgrade

my qeustion was will this download only work on said version off 64 bit windows .... or all 64 bit verstions of qualifying windows ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
Hi theog was confused at first but u used part off a post from different thread along the same theme i posted

so ill try clarify for this thread only i'm using 64 bit windows 7 ultimate this is the operating system i used the upgrade assitant to download 64 bit win 8 pro upgrade

my qeustion was will this download only work on said version off 64 bit windows .... or all 64 bit verstions of qualifying windows ?

All qualifying windows x32 or x64, (x32 would need a clean install.)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/10837-windows-8-eula.html

Microsoft said:
What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
OK i think this is what I'm doing the clean install but still doesn't work?

I'm assuming a clean install is the option to save nothing ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
stop talking in riddles cant u tell me how to do a clean install in layman's terms ??? ........ because i already believe I'm doing it and it wont work

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
stop talking in riddles cant u tell me how to do a clean install in layman's terms ??? ........ because i already believe I'm doing it and it wont work

Can you not read tutorials?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
You cannot do a 'clean' install of a Win 8 upgrade...you need to have a legal activated qualifying Windows OS installed first.
Because you run the install from the qualifying INSTALLED Windows OS...just like you would install any normal app. You cannot boot with the Win 8 disk...I am assuming you burned the iso to disk.

EDIT: Sorry I did not see the instructions for a clean boot with an upgrade...

What is the difference as far as the inner workings of the system is concerned?
Is there any downside of doing the upgrade from a installed system, other than your old stuff still remaining?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Fruit Salad
    CPU
    Intel Pentium Dual core E5700 @ 3GHz
    Motherboard
    Biostar G413DB
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT 610
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster LED S23B370
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
You cannot do a 'clean' install of a Win 8 upgrade...you need to have a legal activated qualifying Windows OS installed first.
Because you run the install from the qualifying INSTALLED Windows OS...just like you would install any normal app. You cannot boot with the Win 8 disk...I am assuming you burned the iso to disk.

web has a legal qualifying Windows OS licence. No need for that OS to be install.
You can boot from a DVD/USB Pendrive made from the upgrade download.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

yes at last ...... i burned the iso to disk but wont install u get 3 options on installing save personal files ext or save nothing but wont install ????

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro

yes at last ...... i burned the iso to disk but wont install u get 3 options on installing save personal files ext or save nothing but wont install ????

Boot the DVD from post boot.

Windows 8 Downgrade-006 SB.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
just tried this started to work as u said but wanted to know before continuing will this method ask me where to install? or should i make things so it only has one place to install ??

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
You can make partitions or
should i make things so it only has one place to install

Screenshot for uEFI setup.

Capture001111111-DM-3.PNG

Screenshot for BIOS setup.

Capture001111111-DM-3-1.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

EDIT: Sorry I did not see the instructions for a clean boot with an upgrade...

What is the difference as far as the inner workings of the system is concerned?
Is there any downside of doing the upgrade from a installed system, other than your old stuff still remaining?

Yes, there is.
It brings problems from the old version of Windows to the new one, and/or
Due to mixing of DLL's, new problem's may occur, like me and my upgrade windows 8 (Explorer keeps restarting after launching a metro app.).

Example cases:
My upgraded Windows XP from Windows Me in VPC2007 cannot install vm additions. And has reliability issues.
My upgraded Windows 8 from Windows 7 explorer keeps restarting after launching a metro app.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
I'm posting from win 8 upgrade now finally worked out what was wrong, and i'm afraid it was human error on my part :eek:.....

See i forgot my graphics card was connected to my TV by means of a HDMI cable, witch for some unknown reason my TV became the main monitor when i installed win 8 pro so my PC was just a off purple color with the mouse cruiser ......... penny dropped last night lol and hey presto i'm up and running and have always been so

but that said i did do a clean install of win 8 upgrade to a drive that didn't have a windows system on it, however i did have qualifying system plugged at time but choose a different destination for install

of coarse now i have unplugged said qualifying windows while i discover new windows 8 and so far so good thought i wouldn't like but its actually not bad, is faster still playing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
Back