Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

I have read through this thread and I cant seem to get mine working at all!

I have a HP envy with a Intel HD 4000 onboard and a Radeon HD 7670M, win8 64bit

I purchased my laptop in December and only just found out it has never ran on the Radeon 7670M.

I have tried updating drivers for Radeon 7670m in device manager. Still dxdiag display shows intel 4000. In catalyst control and Configure switchable graphics all I can do is assign high performance or low performance to .exe files. If I assign high to dxdiag.exe it still does not work. I have tried disabling the on board card and dxdiag then shows microsoft basic display driver and then I get a error message after a while saying AMD drivers are not install or running correctly please install. I have tried uninstalling 76070 from device manager, and uninstalling with the AMD driver installation files. Rebooted, tried installed drivers from AMD and HP and still does not work. It seems to have this switchable function that does not work. Someone on HP forum said to try the older drivers on the HP site. I have done that and still exactly the same issue.

I have tried installing the Intel drivers as well but still does not work. Another suggestion was to go into BIOS and turn switchable graphics to 'fixed' but I don't have that option. I updated the BIOS from HP site but still have no option to do that in mine. I have tried installing many versions of AMD catalyst as someone who had it said there's shows switchable graphics and then gives them the option for high performance GPU or low performance GPU and shows you your current GPU that is being used but mine only shows options to assign high or low performance to .exe files which if you assign high or low it still uses the on board Intel 4000 card. I have tried different versions of AMD catalyst, drivers and what not and nothing seems to work. Please can someone help me with this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hey Michael apperantly switchable graphics is only activated during times of VERY high stress on your computer. My legit graphics card wasn't activated until I played Skyrim on high settings or was in combat on medium settings... My suggestion would be to run some graphically intensive game or graphics test, and then use the AMD System Moniter Software (it tells you how much your amd card is used).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3667U
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7570M
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
Thank you fur your suggestion but no it is still not being used, I only found out it was running the on board when I played far cry 3 and it was bad quality and slow

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Well did you use the AMD System Moniter Software? Because otherwise you can't tell for sure... Low performance doesn't mean you aren't using your main gpu...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3667U
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7570M
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
Hi! I need an advice. I own a hp laptop, dv6 3122sl with switchable graphic card ati radeon hd 5470 and intel graphics hd (1st Gen), recently I've decided to upgrade to windows 8. The video drivers provided by hp work but they're dated 2010, and the screen flickers of shutdown, so I was wondering if it's possible to update them, in some way. Can you help me please?

Edit: Intel Hardware ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_144A103C&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_144A103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300
Hello everybody! Here I am again, with the same problem... Anyone with ati 5470 hd + intel graphics succeded in upgrading video drivers? If yes, how?
Please answer

ps I googled further... I tried installing official amd drivers (v13.4) over the official outdated hp ones. It seemed to work, but my pc got stuck 2 times, and then it went in thermal arrest :( Now I reinstalled the hp (deprecated) drivers. please help.
thanks

edit 03 june
I think I solved my problem.
Again my laptop is a dv6 3122sl. I read carefully this page
[Drivers] HP dv6-3XXX / dv7-4XXX / ENVY 17-1XXX (INTEL)
and I found
"AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / 5650 / 5850 / 6370M / 6550M
Important Information
- Includes the graphics driver, HDMI audio driver, and Catalyst Control Center configuration software.
- The current release is the most compatible driver available -- it specifically supports HP versions of the Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 5650, 5850, 6370M, and 6550M.
- Driver packages released by HP additionally include an Intel graphics driver in order to use the built-in switchable graphics technology. This does not apply to the ENVY 17 or ENVY 17 3D.
- It is strongly recommended that you remove all previous versions of the Mobility Radeon graphics driver prior to installing the newest version.
- Do not install these if you have an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator / Intel HD Graphics!
- OPTIONAL: If you want to install the current reference driver provided by AMD, download and install it on top of the HP release. This is done so that the switchable graphics feature can continue to operate properly. Install the reference driver at your own risk! Although the driver is provided by AMD, it is not guaranteed that it will operate normally under all circumstances."
So I installed amd official drivers (not v12.10, that were reference drivers, but v13.1, that was said to be more stable) over hp drivers (dated 2010), during the installation the screen went black and it said "the driver stopped responding and has recovered", but after that, all went smooth, and finally I'm able to use fastboot without any flicker of the screen. Last note: as reported in several forums, in my case as in many other it's impossible to set the brightness level of the screen directly. I've found a workaround: I switch to intel graphics card, that lets me to lower the brightness level, and then I switch back to the ati radeon, which takes the brightness level chosen before.
Hope this helps
bye!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i5 430m
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati radeon hd 5470 - intel hd graphics 3000
Hello everyone I own a HP DV6-6b75ca HP Pavilion dv6-6b75ca Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Support

I have been using leshcat drivers since my previous frustrations to get the official Windows 8 drivers listed for my model working. Recently I have decided to give it another go since I have some bugs here and there with the leshcat drivers which is to be expected.

The problem is, even though there are official drivers listed for my model on the HP website (sp59850.exe) when I try to install them there is no option to select the installation of drivers. I am only presented with addons and the like. This leads me to believe that my hardware ID's are not included in this package.

To further prove this theory, I extracted the sp59850.exe, opened the inf file and ran a search for my hardware ids for both the AMD card (Radeon HD 6490M) and the Intel card (Intel HD 3000 gen 2). The search returned zero results.

My hardware ID's are as follows:

Radeon HD 6490M:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_3581103C

Intel HD 3000 (Second Gen):
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_3581103C

It is beyond me that they would list this package as compatible with my laptop model when they obviously are not. Furthermore, to my knowledge I have found no official package that supports my hardware ID's. This is forcing me to use the leshcat drivers.

If anyone has any ideas or help as to getting any official packages working with my model that would be great. Thanks in advance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 X64
Hi Sir. I have a lenovo g470 with hd6700 ithink. I upgraded to windows 8 But my problem now is i cant use my hd6700. It only uses the intel hd3000 even if i installed a catalyst. Thanks in advance

HD6300

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E4&SUBSYS_397A17AA&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E4&SUBSYS_397A17AA
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E4&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E4&CC_0300

HD3000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_397A17AA&REV_09
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_397A17AA
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&CC_0300

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Well well well, looks like 8.1 is about to hit the street (not the RTM) So maybe were back to driver cryin lolol and a re hash of old posts :)

I'm not sure if the "old" HP (or what ever manufacturer) W8 drivers will still work on 8.1, but we'll see, for us HP type with this thing called Radeon 7690M xt the last driver from them was sp59850, which so far has been working on W8.

So since I will most likely upgrade I'd like to see a new driver too :) even though it will of course be several versions behind AMD/Intel as usual lol.

edit Sept 9 :confused:

Seems some people are installing the drivers right from AMD and Intel on some of these setups. I'm not sure if this 7690m xt / Intel 3000 switchable setup will work like that, it would be nice if it did, but I won't know until Oct 18th. Only other thing is to see if HP put out another driver for 8.1, or maybe we'll have to install SP59850 in W8 comparability mode, the way some had to install in W7 comparability mode on W8.

HPdv7t-6c00
W8 x64 Pro
2670QM 2.2
1920x1080 17.3 screen

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
I've just installed Windows 8.1 on my dual graphics DV6 Laptop with AMD 6770m and Intel HD 3000. The OS updated the drivers but only the HD 3000 worked. Then I tried to install the drivers provided from HP named SP59850. Well it works. The boot time increased, but at least I can use the AMD card. Certainly it's not an optimal choice, but I doubt that HP will have some updated drivers anytime soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I've just installed Windows 8.1 on my dual graphics DV6 Laptop with AMD 6770m and Intel HD 3000. The OS updated the drivers but only the HD 3000 worked. Then I tried to install the drivers provided from HP named SP59850. Well it works. The boot time increased, but at least I can use the AMD card. Certainly it's not an optimal choice, but I doubt that HP will have some updated drivers anytime soon.

Well at least it "works" so that's good to know. at least on your 6770 so it should keep workin on this 7690m xt, since its re branded 6770

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
I have hp pavilion 15 e033tx with radeon 8670m and intel hd 4600 and the problem is that when ever i play any game it would run on intel 4600 instead of radeon 8670m...like gta 4's benchmark shows that its running on intel and also splinter cell blacklist lags alot!...i guess its switchable graphics issue i have switched to gigh perfomance in ccc but no luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP PAVILION 15 E033TX
    CPU
    CORE I7 4702MQ
    Motherboard
    INTEL
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD 4600+ ATI RADEON 8670M
    Sound Card
    DTS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    INTEL
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
HELP!

I have hp pavilion 15 e033tx with radeon 8670m and intel hd 4600 and the problem is that when ever i play any game it would run on intel 4600 instead of radeon 8670m...like gta 4's benchmark shows that its running on intel and also splinter cell blacklist lags alot!...i guess its switchable graphics issue i have switched to gigh perfomance in ccc but no luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP PAVILION 15 E033TX
    CPU
    CORE I7 4702MQ
    Motherboard
    INTEL
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD 4600+ ATI RADEON 8670M
    Sound Card
    DTS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    INTEL
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
OK updated to 8.1, at first the radeon card no longer was working, only the intel gpu was. I just did a re install of HP SP59850 (the graphics driver from HP for my unit on W8) and it picked right back up.

So it looks like it does continue to work, but is now a bit out dated. Maybe, I say maybe, HP will do a new one, but I'm not holding my breath. it took 3 months for HP to come out with a driver to W8 "after" it was released.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
OK updated to 8.1, at first the radeon card no longer was working, only the intel gpu was. I just did a re install of HP SP59850 (the graphics driver from HP for my unit on W8) and it picked right back up.

So it looks like it does continue to work, but is now a bit out dated. Maybe, I say maybe, HP will do a new one, but I'm not holding my breath. it took 3 months for HP to come out with a driver to W8 "after" it was released.

hi hoody, i remember that you and me, we have the same notebook.
did you already update to windows 8.1, everything works fine?? what about wifi? thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Hi everybody! I need help again... I just upgraded to windows 8.1, but I am not able to find any working graphic driver, the softpaq 50640 merely crashes!!
Can anybody help me please?
thanks a lot

berlen

ps I recall that my laptop is a hp 3122 with switchable graphics intel 1st gen + ati radeon 5470 hd

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i5 430m
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati radeon hd 5470 - intel hd graphics 3000
Hello everyone.
I tried to fing some info about both ati/amd cards. (There are 4200 and 6470m cards in my Samsung laptop.) But all info about switchable graphics i found is about intel+ati combination. I heard HP released driver for ati/amd. Is it possible to run this driver on Samsung laptop? Is there any solution for this issue?

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and now have an issue with installing windows 8.1. I red from somewhere that having a black screen when installation is "complete" and it freezes there, is an graphic issue. My mouse cursor shows, when i move my touchpad, but shortly after it disapears.

But anyway this is a switchaple graphics topic and that is my prime issue, i cant get working graphic drivers to my laptop from anywhere. I have the exactly compination which i quoted here (Radeon 4200 and Radeon 6470m). My laptop is HP Pavilion G6-1111so. I downloaded some drivers from Amd and the newest ones installation stops in some postition and then the blue screen comes. And it restarts and comes to basic settings which they have in windows 8 (WDDM v.1.1) for both of them. Windows doest know graphic cards exact models, but claims they are series 6000HD and series 4200HD. And every time the series 4200HD is not working, it has an error code 43 on it. Some drivers told me that the prime graphic card was something very diffrent. And at the moment i have drivers from HP support, they are more than year old and the prime card is 6470, but the other one is having error code 43.

So can someone please help me with this, if there is an solution for the problem? Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
My question is are you guys doing clean installs or just doing the update from the store. i done a clean install with 8.1 pro. rtm few weeks ago... i own a hp envy 14 1211nr which has the 1st generation intel video and a amd 5650. before in the preview i had troubles as well as the same with the first version of windows 8. but i did a clean install on this one no errors i just cannot switch tho. sometimes it will sometimes it woint. but no error or caution flags and games run fine. its based off the wddm 1.3. just my 2 cents.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro x64

hi hoody, i remember that you and me, we have the same notebook.
did you already update to windows 8.1, everything works fine?? what about wifi? thanks

yeah homes, updated yesterday, all went pretty much as expected, I figured what was working on 8 would work on 8.1. and for the most part it all went OK. Had to use that MS store thing to get the update, no ISO available (yet)

as I said I just had problems with my security suite COMODO, that I ended up just removing the folder manually, and D/L the full installer and re installing, that fixed that. The other deal was the graphics, when I re booted only the Intel 3000 gpu was working, even though I have it set to fixed. I tried a couple things but ended up just re installing the HP graphics driver for W8 (SP59850) for this model and that fixed that. As for the Wi-Fi it was working OK the whole time, it had to to D/L the update lol, and the added updates from windows update. I have the Intel centrino bluetooth, 1030

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

I purchased my laptop in December and only just found out it has never ran on the Radeon 7670M.

I have tried updating drivers for Radeon 7670m in device manager. Still dxdiag display shows intel 4000. In catalyst control and Configure switchable graphics all I can do is assign high performance or low performance to .exe files. If I assign high to dxdiag.exe it still does not work. I have tried disabling the on board card and dxdiag then shows microsoft basic display driver and then I get a error message after a while saying AMD drivers are not install or running correctly please install. I have tried uninstalling 76070 from device manager, and uninstalling with the AMD driver installation files. Rebooted, tried installed drivers from AMD and HP and still does not work. It seems to have this switchable function that does not work. Someone on HP forum said to try the older drivers on the HP site. I have done that and still exactly the same issue.

I have tried installing the Intel drivers as well but still does not work. Another suggestion was to go into BIOS and turn switchable graphics to 'fixed' but I don't have that option. I updated the BIOS from HP site but still have no option to do that in mine. I have tried installing many versions of AMD catalyst as someone who had it said there's shows switchable graphics and then gives them the option for high performance GPU or low performance GPU and shows you your current GPU that is being used but mine only shows options to assign high or low performance to .exe files which if you assign high or low it still uses the on board Intel 4000 card. I have tried different versions of AMD catalyst, drivers and what not and nothing seems to work. Please can someone help me with this.

I have the exact same problem with the same steps, except I never tried putting DX on High Performance and I have a Samsung laptop (NP350V5C), but the hardware is the same.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bits
    Computer type
    Laptop
    mottagraphy
    CPU
    mottagraphy
    Motherboard
    mottagraphy
    Memory
    mottagraphy
    Graphics Card(s)
    mottagraphy
    Browser
    mottagraphy
    Antivirus
    mottagraphy

I have the exact same problem with the same steps, except I never tried putting DX on High Performance and I have a Samsung laptop (NP350V5C), but the hardware is the same.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Don't know 100% on this, but I have seen where ppl with that setup have downloaded the latest AMD driver from the AMD download page, and the latest Intel Driver and they say it installed fine.

I can't do that myself with this 7690m xt and Intel 3000.

Guess you could try it if nothing else seems to work.

here is a copy of what this kid said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valter Z Oct 28, 2013 10:05 am I can confirm that switchable graphics is working on Samsung NP350 V5C (AMD HD7670 + Intel HD4000) using Windows 8.1 and AMD Catalyst Mobility 13.9 driver.
Firstly I updated Intel HD4000 driver via Windows Update, than installed AMD Catalyst Mobility 13.9 WHQL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR if you want to try a 3rd party driver here is this leshcat's driver

Leshcat?s Catalyst 13.9 WHQL Public Testing Update 2 ? leshcatlabs.net

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM