Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

@kyselevajco,

Your model (HP ProBook 4740s) also has Windows 8 drivers from HP here (SP59130 for Intel, SP59143 for AMD).

I would try the following:

1. Remove the ATI/AMD components by running the ATI Catalyst Install Manager in Express Uninstall Mode (i.e. Win+W, Programs and Features, select ATI Catalyst Install Manager, click Change, Express Uninstall ALL AMD...), then reboot.
  2. Follow the rest of the Cleanup Instructions from Leshcat's Manual
  3. Apply SP59130 and verify the driver Provider.
  4. Apply SP59143 (~ Catalyst 12.8+) and test Switchable Graphics.
  5. If working, apply AMD Catalyst Beta (optional).

On a related note, I should also mention that after upgrading to AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta7, my fans went to super-loud (also, ATI CCC CPU usage jumped drastically)...similar to the issue I reported before in Post #383, #389, etc. but without the black screen crashes. Immediately after uninstalling the Beta (in fact, while the Beta was uninstalling) my fans returned to normal. I am reverting to AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta6 as we speak...

@alphastar

I've tried everything but nothing work. My laptop isn't as good as the driver SP59130 needs, so it is impossible to install it. Now I lose my thrill and going to boot it with Win7...
I have just one last question. Is it need to have both graphics in menu, when I click to CCC ikon, it means not only Intel HD graphics in my example, but Intel and Ati graphics in next row? Here is figure.
graphics.jpg

Alphastar, thanks a lot for your advices, you're really good. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ProBook 4740s
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Ati HD 7650m
@kyselevajco,

Thanks! To answer your question, here's my screenshot (Switchable Graphics is working):

Switchable Graphics Desktop menu - Win8.jpg

If Google Translate is right, my first and second menu is the same as yours above. AFAIK, you will only see the ATI CCC "Configure Switchable Graphics" (Konfigurovat prepinatelnou grafiku) if you have both Intel + AMD working in Switchable Graphics mode.

Also, the Intel(R) HD Graphics menu ("Graphics Properties..." and "Graphics Options >" in my figure/pic above) appear depending on the version of the Intel HD Graphics driver that is loaded.

Edit: Just realized that your screenshot above is of AMD CCC Systray->Right-click, and not Win8 Right-click->Desktop...here's my AMD CCC:

AMD CCC.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Yeah baby, it's finally work!!! For everyone who has Hp Probook 4740s I recommend this solving:
1.Download 3 drivers: SP59850, SP59143, AMD Catalyst 13.2 beta 7
2.Clean your old version of drivers with full clean up Leshcat's manual
3.Turn off your network (to not downloaded new driver for Intel HD automatically)
4.Install SP59143, after it SP59850 and then AMD Catalyst 13.2
5.Enjoy it!!!

@alphastar

thanks again, without you I would never done this issue!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ProBook 4740s
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Ati HD 7650m
@ alphastar and all other Expertsssss

I have recently Bought hp envy M6 ,1003tx, comes with
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
and Pre - installed win 8

i tried a Lot of methods on it , so that i can swith works perfectly

Now after Unsuccessful attempts , i Thought i should got to win 7 ,, So Now i have win 7 but somehow my divers are for 8, so i still can't change..

anyway could u help me out here Please,,

Sorry if it seem like my English is bad...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6 1003tx
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
@
alphastar

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6840&SUBSYS_18A5103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6840&SUBSYS_18A5103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6840&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6840&CC_0300

@ alphastar and all other Expertsssss

recently Bought hp envy M6 ,1003tx, comes with
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6 1003tx
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
@@ alphastar one more thing ,, how can i make sure that , what gfx process in use,, as my win 7 only use interl 4000, ???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6 1003tx
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
@sunnyx12x21x,

Your Radeon is supported in Win7 by HP SoftPaq SP57353 (based on Catalyst 12.2).

Typically you would control which card is being used by using the ATI Catalyst Control Center, commonly known as AMD/ATI CCC. This allows you to choose which card is used for which applications or power profiles. See the What does it look like? section in the first post for screenshots, and more.

To ensure that Switchable Graphics is working (i.e. Configure Switchable Graphics option when you right-click the Desktop), both devices' drivers (Intel HD Graphics and AMD Radeon HD) should say Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. under each Display Adapter's General tab in Device Manager (i.e. after you install the SP).

You can (and probably should) upgrade to the latest AMD Catalayst Beta (currently 13.2 Beta7, installed after the SP above) to upgrade AMD CCC and Radeon drivers, and for better performance/updated compatibility with Windows 7, and the latest games.

Also, TechPowerUp GPU-Z can identify which card is active based on it's Sensor's tab readings (e.g. GPU Core Clock and GPU Temperature).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
is there nay alternative - to TechPowerUp GPU-Z

as it won't respond on my new pc...

*** Update ***

Something like task manger - or something -- where i can seem Both of my gpu -- which tarck graph or something (Like amd) so that i can know the High performance (either if it is swithing it or not) is working or not

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6 1003tx
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
@
alphastar

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Now this seems to work,, i have hp dv4 too with switchblade gfx-- But This Technologhy Suxx... I am Now at win 7 - HMM

andyway now am having another problem ,, i can't seem to got Full screen Games,, --

get Blue secreen error -- above is the screenshoott

now i know this thread is abt Swith,,,,, But u might help,,, or maybe someone else here is too haveing same proble

"atikmdag.sys"..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6 1003tx
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M
Hello guys, i'm new at this forum, first of all, thank you for existing and helping people like you do. Sorry for my english, i'm portuguese so i may fail a lot texting.

I was hoping to get some help from you, i was reading this thread and learned some things, but not enough to solve my problem, i've tried some things with no sucess.

here's the problem : i have a HP dv6 6190 sp with an AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20) and a Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000.

i have purchased windows 8, big mistake. There is no drivers for these two, so my computer fails hard now... on the AMD Radeon it shows this error ( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) ) .
i tried many things, i have formated and reformated the computer, again and again, trying new stuff, but with no sucess.

If u know how to solve this and waste 2 minutes of ur time on me it would be great.

sorry for the long text, and again, sorry for my english and thank you.

Jaime

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp dv6
@alphastar
I bet you're getting tired of all of this now!

Anyway sorry for late reply - lots of issues with other things recently so the old Windows 8 problem had to take a sideline.
I am embarrassed to tell you that I reinstalled my Windows 7 image before I checked the PCI Hardware IDs so I can't tell you what that "Unknown Device" was.

Interestingly, I spoke with HP again and they said they now their own driver doesn't work and that I should use ATI's own version.
Of course, I tried that and this still didn't work. :(

What is weird is that I can get the AMD card to work perfectly, it is just the Intel one that isn't recognised. Seemingly everyone else has the problem the other way round!

Back on Windows 7 again now. Still want Windows 8 to work but I have no further ideas on what to do!
I even tried to install the Intel drivers directly from their website but oddly enough the install fails with the comment "Your PC doesn't meet the requirements for this driver" despite the fact that I am 100% sure I selected the right one...

Losing the will to live!!
Never mind though, Windows 7 still rocks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit
@jeremy33662

New to the forums, but that is the exact same thing my hp is doing, and I tried the same things you did.. Wouldn't be bad if the battery didn't last only 2.5 hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    amd 7690m xt/intel 3000
@jeremy33662,

You still have Windows 7 working with Switchable Graphics, no?

What are the details for the Intel driver that is working in Win7? What SP is it from, and what dates and versions are on that Intel driver?

Best chance of success would be to troubleshoot step-by-step from a new install, using the working Win7 install as a starting point.

@Jaime,

Looks like HP SoftPaq SP59850 should contain everything that you need. On a clean Windows 8 install, download and run the file. You might also want to disable your WiFi until you install SP59850 so that Windows Update doesn't install newer drivers.

@sunnyx12x21x,

I would love to help, but unfortunately these types of errors are often very rare and very specific to your setup. Without expert knowledge (beyond me), Microsoft's explanation for the STOP 0x3B BSOD will not offer any immediate solutions, and the typical troubleshooting process for BSODs (Blue Screens of Death) of this type are usually quite involved.

In this guy's case, it was Crossfire (cable, i.e. hardware) related - maybe something on these threads will present a possible answer to your question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
@alphastar sorry for wasting ur time, but i'm not sure if i should, or should not install the Intel hd Graphics 3000. i installed slimdrivers and it says that i need that driver, but i don't think if i'm going to screw things up again, since now everything is running fine and now, if i press rightclick on desktop it has now the comutable graphic. what do u think ?

cumps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp dv6
@alphastar one more thing, i've tried to play games, like league of legends, and im playing at 30 fps, i had 60 when i was with windows 7. Tried Day-z, impossible to play.
I just download GPU-z so i could know what card i was using, when i installed and opened the program (GPU-Z) it showed a message saying that ' Intel OpenCL driver bug detected, skipping OpenCL detection. Please update your Intel OpenCl driver to re-enable this functionality.'

i'm starting to believe that windows 7 + hp sould be better for now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp dv6
I'am glad that last week finally I buy Inspiron 5423. Although the latest driver package ATI and Intel HD both signed by AMD is from early 2012, but works smoothly.
I need to disable automatic update for driver though.
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    EliteBook 8560p
Back