Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

Ah, another 3rd-party modded driver!

Thanks, I will add it to the appropriate section on the first post.

Also, I believe the reason that you can have 2 different Driver Providers is because perhaps you are running x86 (32-bit) and not x64 (64-bit)? Windows x64 has driver-signing enforced by default, so you must have the same Provider for both drivers.

As an aside, I also noticed that Benchmark3D's AMD (official) Catalyst 12.10 WHQL downloads list an AMD Catalyst and an AMD Catalyst Mobility 12.10 download direct from AMD, although I can't find a page on AMD's Support Hub that talks about the Catalyst Mobility driver.

Time for some more testing...thanks again for the info!

hey, alphastar, did you get it to work?

Hey Divyanshu,

I did...and the first post is definitely overdue for an update (sorry all...it's coming soon, I promise).

Until then, the most up-to-date info (from me) right now is:

1. The (technical,) Switchable Graphics explanation at post #382
  2. Post #383 (comparing the HP SoftPaq SP59147 and SP59850 driver versions vs. official Intel/AMD Catalyst beta driver versions)
  3. ...and post #389 (on choosing between SP59147, SP59850, and AMD Catalyst Beta) right after it.

Of course, some older AMD Switchable Graphics solutions require the AMD Catalyst Legacy (12.6) drivers for Windows 8, or 3rd-party options like Leshcat's UnifL (see post #385).

But essentially, if you have an HP, you should be looking at SP59147 or SP59580 (or other supported HP Win8 driver according to your model, see the first post for details), plus running the AMD Catalyst beta after reboot, to update to the latest AMD drivers.

FWIW: I am currently on SP59850 (Intel HD Graphics 9.17.10.2817) + AMD Catalyst Beta11 (AMD Radeon HD 9.10.8.0):

View attachment 13467 View attachment 13468

Hows it goin Alpha

Well I also use the sp59850, and its a stable driver on my machine.

So by the way your sayin I assume you can also install the new AMD drivers on top, as long as you keep the HP drivers,(and the Intel) is that the deal? If so than I may try that when the final comes out and see how that goes. If it works like that than I guess we can just keep updating the AMD part after all while leaving the Intel part alone since that's what makes the brightness and stuff work ( if that's the way it works)

So far I seem to be humming right along now withW8 and this HP switchable mess lol, I still won't buy any Radeon GPU in a laptop again though. As you see from a post I answered aleseba77, I have my W8 functioning pretty much like W7 was, I never even go to the tile screen I boot right to desktop. For me it works, I don't use touch screens, and the look of the GUI in metro looks like XP to me. I'm waiting now for a program that will add glass effect again on 8, like the program I once had for XP.

Hope Christmas went well, now on to 2013 :) I'm ready for the "cliff" I have my repelling gear ready lol

With my new DSL service I feel like I'm flyin after 15 years of dialup :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Because of this problem, I bought another laptop. The Barmdl
pavilion dv6 6050se (le965ea Now I have a new problem

2d2cc33eddcd31fc5205141f829268fca68ffaa8622b31d438750c2c2c02dbf36g.jpg

Help Me...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 BIT
Hello all,

Anyone got luck yet with switchable graphics on Envy 17-3005eo? PCI string: \VEN_1002&DEV_6740&SUBSYS_1689103C&REV_00 is something I've not yet found on any of the SPs listed and the support web does not show any display drivers for this laptop. The HW is same/similar to dv7 models with Intel i7-2670QM and AMD 7690m XT card.

I would have expected more from HP, quite frankly, for this new of a machine (bought in spring 2012), but I guess the only option is to sit out and wait (for me, the custom Enduro drivers provide too many caveats to go down that route). Well, at least I got the generic 'AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series' driver via Windows Update so can at least use the thing while waiting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    HP Envy 17-3005eo
    CPU
    Intel i7-2670QM
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7690m XT
Hello all,

Anyone got luck yet with switchable graphics on Envy 17-3005eo? PCI string: \VEN_1002&DEV_6740&SUBSYS_1689103C&REV_00 is something I've not yet found on any of the SPs listed and the support web does not show any display drivers for this laptop. The HW is same/similar to dv7 models with Intel i7-2670QM and AMD 7690m XT card.

I would have expected more from HP, quite frankly, for this new of a machine (bought in spring 2012), but I guess the only option is to sit out and wait (for me, the custom Enduro drivers provide too many caveats to go down that route). Well, at least I got the generic 'AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series' driver via Windows Update so can at least use the thing while waiting.

Hi Coera,

IMHO, your HP ENVY 17-3005eo supports Windows 8, but there seems to be an oversight in terms of graphics support. I would take it up with HP Support first.

The closest driver is SP59850 which supports other Radeon HD 7960M XTs, including one with the SUBSYS_1688103C.

The only suggestion is to try installing SP59850 (using Device Manager, Have Disk method) for the Intel side, and try updating with AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 install immediately after.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
HP Expert Day - 10Jan2013!

For anyone that still has Switchable Graphics questions for HP, please post on the HP Forum below TODAY (10Jan2013):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video-e-g-Windows-8/bd-p/Display

Also, for those with older (Windows 7) drivers still looking for support on Windows 8, please try this solution (allows you to install Switchable Graphics [Win7] drivers in Compatibility Mode on Windows 8):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-do-I-get-switchable-graphics-to/td-p/2213275

Best of luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Hello all,

Anyone got luck yet with switchable graphics on HP ENVY 17-2070nr?

• 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
  • Radeon HD 6850M Graphics and Intel HD 3000

i try with this solutions and dont work!

Thanks!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    LV046UA#ABA
    CPU
    2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6850M Graphics and intel 3000 hd
Hello all,

• 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz

Thanks!!!!!

@rictrejos

First step: post the PCI Hardware IDs for your AMD card.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Hello!
this might be a dumb question, I'm sorry in advance ;)
as far as i noticed, this thread is focused on HP notebooks, but since it's the closest to the answer I've been scanning the whole Internet for, I'm gonna torture you with my Samsung problems.
To be specific, my model is the NP350V5C-S07, and it has switchable Intel HD3000/Radeon HD7670M graphics. However, since I installed Windows 8, only Intel seems to be working as it should, and the Radeon became the laziest ever and it's been off for 2 months now :) at first I shrugged my shoulders at that when this Samsung auto-update thingy didn't fix it in any way, but now the super slow Intel is starting to annoy me bad.
So, the question is: will the HP drivers mentioned by @alphastar in post #59 make my laptop explode, or is it possible they'll help me big time? :D
Any help appreciated,
Matt

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
Hello all,

Thanks!!!!!

@rictrejos

First step: post the PCI Hardware IDs for your AMD card.

Thanks alphastar!! this is the information:

AMD
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A8&SUBSYS_159B103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A8&SUBSYS_159B103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A8&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A8&CC_0300

AMD.png

INTEL
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_159B103C&REV_09
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_159B103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&CC_0300

Intel.png

Only with this Intel Driver work my windows 8, but without the amd card.

Thanks alphastar!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    LV046UA#ABA
    CPU
    2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6850M Graphics and intel 3000 hd
Hi everyone. I'm yet another annoyed user who cannot install drivers for my AMD + Intel switchable graphics display. My laptop is an HP "dv3-4121ss" which includes ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 + Intel HD. So far I've been completely unable to find working drivers, and I'm clueless as to what to do, since I can't find compatible drivers ANYWHERE for Windows 8. Can you please help me? According to the device manager, these are the IDs of my devices:

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&SUBSYS_1600103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&SUBSYS_1600103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&CC_0300

Intel HD (not sure whether it's 3000, 4000...)
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_1600103C&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_1600103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300

Any ideas as to what to do? Which are the options at hand? I surely could use some help from the experts here.

Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi, I have a an HP tm2t-2100 with a ATI Mobility Radeon 5450 graphics card. I just installed Windows 8 and it tells me it cannot start the ATI card? I just tried installing the Catalyst 13.1 by Leshcat, but it seemed to have failed on the AMD display driver and HDMI audio. Does anyone else have a 5450 radeon card and if so, how can I get my graphics card to work so I can use my HDMI port, cause it doesn't seem to work just with the standard intel graphics card. Please help! Thanks greatly in advanced!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
    HP tm2t-2100
    CPU
    intel i5
    Memory
    6gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5450
Hi all master on this thread.
I have a Lenovo G470 Notebook with Radeon 6300M VGA card.
I still can't figure out how to make the switchable graphics work for win 8. :(
I already installed switchable graphic driver that I got from lenovo official site, but when I click right button on my mouse still there isn't swtchable graphic choose :(

can someane give me a tutorial to solve my problem right here? please.. :(
thanks for your help. sorry if my english is bad, cause i am not from US or UK.. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Enterprise
The answer is in front of our nose people... I may be wrong but I have been reading stuff trying to fix it for 2 days and the fix was simple.... Correct switchable graphics has to be the same provider..... Uninstall all drivers you've got for one.... ATI and Intel HD plus the HP support framework....then restart your PC..... goto HP website download the latest hp support framework and ATI drivers for windows 8...... dont worry about intel... the moment u install intel drivers it fails or the ati catalyst control fails to work.

One thing significant i found on this forum is that 1, it has to be the same manufacturer and 2 its the ati catalyst that does the switiching. lucky for those who get it to work with different driver manufacturer.

1 .install hp support framework...
2. reboot
3. install ati
4. reboot
5. Viola switchable graphics is there including AMD driver for intel graphics.

I am on HP Pavilion M6 intel graphics 4000D and Radeon 7670M. I just discovered this by accident... I was about to install intell HD drivers too.... good thing i checked device manager first if the driver is already installed after installing ATI and if the switchable graphics ws back and it is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 and 7
@ stanchuck, Ebrecht, FajriRA,

Please post your PCI Hardware IDs...without them, we will all be shooting in the dark.

@Ebrecht & Scaflown: Leshcat's newer releases (13.x) may or may not support the older Radeon 5000 Series properly...however, as JoeNZ pointed out, the SOLUTION for WORKING Switchable Graphics is to ensure that you are running an AMD-provided (i.e. Provider in Device Manager says "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.") Intel HD Graphics driver. (See the Code (43) section at the top of the first post on this thread). For more, see my instructions on how to fix this.

This is the essence of Leshcat's drivers...he custom builds them and adds additional performance tweaks and fixes. However, all support is based on what he does, and there are some additional steps to workaround issues with 3rd-party (non-Microsoft sanctioned) drivers. In short, these are likely to be the most up-to-date Switchable Graphics drivers you can get (i.e. AMD Catalyst Beta 13.2 w/ AMD-signed Intel 9.17.10.29xx presently), but you need to read the new driver posts and installation instructions carefully, and ask for support there. REMEMBER: This is a 3rd-party, (unofficial,) community-supported driver.

The other common way of obtaining same is - downloading the HP SoftPaq (SP59850.exe or SP60155.exe) or other OEM or HP "AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver" (Note: you may need to extract the .exe, then use Device Manager to manually search for the Intel driver subfolder). Then, install the latest AMD Catalyst Beta (12.11 Beta 11 or 13.2 Beta 5 currently) to install the AMD drivers for the Radeon 54xx/6xxx/7xxx + then AMD Catalyst Control Center - CCC (3-in-1 if you use the HP SoftPaq) which allows you to do the switching.

Optionally, HP has recommended trying, (and some people have reported success with) downloading the appropriate Windows 7 (x86/x64) driver from 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products | HP® Support and installing it using (Win8 Application) Compatibility Mode.

@rictrejos - You're already halfway there! If you are seeing both cards listed as your screenshots above suggest, then the reason you are missing AMD CCC to enable the Switchable Graphics UI, is because your Intel driver Provider (look at your screenshot) says "Intel Corporation". It should say "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." like the AMD driver. If you still cannot see the CCC menu after right-click your Desktop and have installed the correct Intel driver (i.e. "Graphics Properties" and "Configure Switchable Graphics" are NOT the top menu options when you right-click), then you should install the AMD Catalyst Beta on top of what you are running to enable AMD CCC.

Most of this is explained in the first post...although it isn't the most logically laid out thing in the world. Also, there are a few posts which solve issues for specific cards, so check out the Search Thread dropdown (only there when you Login) at the top of this page (e.g. search for "6300" or "SP59850").

I hope this helps clear a few things up!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Both cards shown but Intel driver has wrong provider

@ alphastar,
I have the same problems as rictrejos[FONT=verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]. I can see both AMD and Intel graphics cards in my Device Manager, and none of them have any exclamation marks. I downloaded the relevant driver package from the HP website, and installed it. The Intel media components that came along with it were installed as well. However, the Intel driver provider is still Intel corporation, and not AMD as should be. What should my next step be, to fix this and regain my switchable graphics?[/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
@ alphastar,
I have the same problems as rictrejos. I can see both AMD and Intel graphics cards in my Device Manager, and none of them have any exclamation marks. I downloaded the relevant driver package from the HP website, and installed it. The Intel media components that came along with it were installed as well. However, the Intel driver provider is still Intel corporation, and not AMD as should be. What should my next step be, to fix this and regain my switchable graphics?

@topgunrdg

Essentially the same; you need to install the AMD-signed (Device Manager->Driver tab->"Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.") Intel HD Graphics driver.

Here are the 3 options:

1. Uninstall the current Intel HD Graphics driver using Device Manager (select the "Delete the driver software..." checkbox as well), then install the HP SoftPaq (SP60115.exe is currently what I'm using, but if you're not sure about the correct one for your computer model, please post your Hardware IDs), and/or
  2. Use the "Have Disk/Choose" method to install the correct AMD-signed Intel driver - the SoftPaq should first be extracted to a folder using 7-Zip or WinRAR, and/or
  3. Remove all Display drivers until Device Manager shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" or "Standard VGA" (Win7) using Driver Fusion. How to do this is explained in summary in Thread #312 onwards, with step-by-step details in #318 and #320 (substitute the correct SoftPaq for your computer here). The procedure is based on Leshcat's Manual - Cleanup Instructions: Removing Previous Brand/Custom Drivers. Read Thread #312 to #330 if you want a preview of what to expect from beginning to end.

Regardless of which option, Windows 8 will likely attempt to automatically reinstall a driver from the Microsoft Windows Update website (usually the default WDDM 1.1 or WDDM 1.2 drivers) if you're connected to the 'Net, so you may be forced to download the necessary files first and remain disconnected from the Internet for these Options to work perfectly...however, the WDDM drivers are also a good starting point for Option 3.

Also note: you do not have to touch the AMD/ATI driver, as you do not have any exclamation mark or Code (43) error with it in Device Manager. Once you load the AMD-signed Intel HD Graphics driver, you should get the AMD CCC options when you right-click the Desktop.

ADVANCED USERS:

Any HP/OEM Switchable Graphics SoftPaq (e.g. SP59147.EXE, SP59850.EXE, SP60155.EXE, etc.) will ALL contain the AMD-signed Intel HD Graphics drivers (but different Intel versions behave differently, so newest SP is strongly recommended). However, you can also obtain those from any other OEM or 3rd-party Switchable Graphics driver set (e.g. Leshcat, but you will also need DSE Installer [Test Mode enabler] to avoid driver signing errors - see Leshcat's Manual); i.e. the Switchable Graphics driver download will provide the correct Intel HD Graphics driver, but the installation procedure is dependent on which one (HP SoftPaq or OEM/3rd-party) you download.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Back