Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

Ok, let me pose this question then... as I'm not entirely familiar with what this Leshcat business is all about. Does it control the switchable graphics on its own, i.e. without the need of CCC? Or does it take the place of the actual Intel and AMD display drivers?

Currently my issue is that both of my display adapters work TOO well... i.e. that they both seemingly are on at the same time. If I can actually install the Catalyst Control Center executable then perhaps I'll be up and running. Otherwise something needs to handle the switching (or just turn one off permanently - would be fine by me).

No! The AMD Catalyst Control Center controls switching between your system's integrated and discrete GPU. Leshcat restores your ability to successfully install and use the Catalyst Control Center in a Windows 8 environment is all.

10-4, thanks for the clarification! That makes a lot more sense. For the time being I'm at least functional as it stands, even if not to perfection. I can deal with a phantom monitor for a bit. Might give it a few days and let the dust settle and then probably dive into Leshcat

After 4 days of endless screwing around to get to a point of stability, I'll hold onto that for just a bit :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, maybe?
Currently my issue is that both of my display adapters work TOO well... i.e. that they both seemingly are on at the same time. If I can actually install the Catalyst Control Center executable then perhaps I'll be up and running. Otherwise something needs to handle the switching (or just turn one off permanently - would be fine by me).

Edit: Sorry OMG, didn't see the new posts before.

Anyway, to answer the first question - Leshcat is custom-brewed (from original Intel/AMD versions, including Catalyst Control Center = CCC), 3rd-party-built, community-supported (see Blog), Intel + AMD drivers to enable Switchable Graphics. Prior to the public Windows 8 driver releases, this was likely your best (maybe, only) option. Bottom line, it works.

As long as you know that when the AMD card is active, so is the Intel, then you will probably be quite happy with the outcome of your Leshcat test (the others were).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64

Edit: Sorry OMG, didn't see the new posts before.

Anyway, to answer the first question - Leshcat is custom-brewed (from original Intel/AMD versions, including Catalyst Control Center = CCC), 3rd-party-built, community-supported (see Blog), Intel + AMD drivers to enable Switchable Graphics. Prior to the public Windows 8 driver releases, this was likely your best (maybe, only) option. Bottom line, it works.

As long as you know that when the AMD card is active, so is the Intel, then you will probably be quite happy with the outcome of your Leshcat test (the others were).

hi, do u know if this u are talking about its a solution for my problem. I have an ati radeon 7690m xt, without drivers.
can u tell me what should i do, i dont understand what i have to download on leshcat...please alphastar, do u have a minute to explain to me..thannks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
No problem, I just replied to your other post elsewhere.

Check this out - UnifL Manual (read carefully, the screenshots will also help)

Post any questions that you come up with after.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
@alphastar: thanks for the heads up re. new Leshcats coming
@Jersey Tom: so haven't yet got round to try the HP drivers yet, but indeed verified that both AMD and Intel cards are working at the same time, as I also see a phantom 2nd screen in the desktop Screen Resolution panel ("available display output on Intel HD Graphics"). I also get a "another display not detected" phantom monitor turn up if I hit "detect" in the same panel.

I am on Leshcat 12.9 beta now, and I do have the CCC successfully installed. It does seem like the ability to manually configure which programme uses which card does work, but I also suspect the AMD card may not actually ever fully turn off, which really murders my battery life.

If I understood correctly from what OMG was saying earlier, the excessive power consumption I am experiencing (had it before installing Leshcat drivers, which did not seem to make the issue better or worse) may be caused by the separate way Win 8 handles the Intel and AMD drivers? anybody else here experiencing battery life cut in half on a switcheable latptop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
I have been following this thread since I found it on Sunday. I have been having many of the same issues described in this thread. I've learned a lot this past weekend for sure. I am running an HP Pavilion dv7-4077cl Notebook with an AMD Mobility Radeon 5470 HD + Intel (Gen 1) switchable graphics card. (Thanks to all the previous users posting screenshots; I would not have known how to find all that out.) I downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro on Saturday and after much consternation and nuking my install a few times I dual booted it along with a good, working Windows 7 install. (I recommend that for all looking to upgrade. Good to clean install on a partition, this way worst case is you nuke the Win8 partition and still have your Win7.)

Needless to say I found this forum and thread after much Google/Bing searching and has been a Godsend. I bookmarked it to my IE10 because I expect at whenever an official solution comes this thread will light up like Christmas. Until then, I installed the leshcat Band-Aid which suits my needs just fine (Test Mode watermark is annoying, I probably did something wrong, but hey it works).

I do have a question regarding the leshcat drivers and those of us who have installed them. Let's say AMD does release an official fix. Is there a procedure by which I can remove the leshcat drivers and install the official switchable graphics driver... or is this too far off yet?

Much appreciations to those of you smarter than I who are testing and retesting solutions for all of us. Glad to know it's not just me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv7-4077cl
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Mobility Radeon 5470 HD
I have been following this thread since I found it on Sunday. I have been having many of the same issues described in this thread. I've learned a lot this past weekend for sure. I am running an HP Pavilion dv7-4077cl Notebook with an AMD Mobility Radeon 5470 HD + Intel (Gen 1) switchable graphics card. (Thanks to all the previous users posting screenshots; I would not have known how to find all that out.) I downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro on Saturday and after much consternation and nuking my install a few times I dual booted it along with a good, working Windows 7 install. (I recommend that for all looking to upgrade. Good to clean install on a partition, this way worst case is you nuke the Win8 partition and still have your Win7.)

Needless to say I found this forum and thread after much Google/Bing searching and has been a Godsend. I bookmarked it to my IE10 because I expect at whenever an official solution comes this thread will light up like Christmas. Until then, I installed the leshcat Band-Aid which suits my needs just fine (Test Mode watermark is annoying, I probably did something wrong, but hey it works).

I do have a question regarding the leshcat drivers and those of us who have installed them. Let's say AMD does release an official fix. Is there a procedure by which I can remove the leshcat drivers and install the official switchable graphics driver... or is this too far off yet?

Much appreciations to those of you smarter than I who are testing and retesting solutions for all of us. Glad to know it's not just me.

Great to hear, that's exactly what this thread is here for!

In terms of Leshcat and upgrades, there are 3 options:

1) Upgrade from old Leshcat to new Leshcat (simply install, no prep [or other steps] necessary)
2) Upgrade Leshcat with newer AMD (looks the same as 1, basically run the AMD Catalyst installer (CIM) by running the new AMD .exe)
3) Remove (using Treexy DriverFusion) and install new/other drivers (detailed instructions in the Leshcat Manual)

P.S. Test Mode is normal, it is because Leshcat's drivers are signed differently from the original Intel/AMD/HP - see here for fix.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Hey guys, ive got the same problem it seems pretty much everyone seems to have with switchable.
I am currently running a HP dv6-6c38tx which has the AMD 7690m xt and intel hd 3000. however in my device manager i am told i have a 6700m and intel hd graphic 3000. looking through all the posts i am just a lil but confused about how to get these drivers to work properly. before win 8 everything was fine with catalyst 12.2 beta drivers but since the change over Ive had no drivers, so i got the latest CCC version,now i have no option for the switchable Graphics and everything lags like a b*tch. whats the best option just in terms of performance and stability for gaming when it comes to all the drivers. is Leshcat the way to go?

Thanks in advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Hp dv6-6c38tx
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD RADEON 7690m XT, Intel Hd graphics 3000
nothing new for 76xxM users

Hey guys, ive got the same problem it seems pretty much everyone seems to have with switchable.
I am currently running a HP dv6-6c38tx which has the AMD 7690m xt and intel hd 3000. however in my device manager i am told i have a 6700m and intel hd graphic 3000. looking through all the posts i am just a lil but confused about how to get these drivers to work properly. before win 8 everything was fine with catalyst 12.2 beta drivers but since the change over Ive had no drivers, so i got the latest CCC version,now i have no option for the switchable Graphics and everything lags like a b*tch. whats the best option just in terms of performance and stability for gaming when it comes to all the drivers. is Leshcat the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Well there's nothing new for your card, (same as mine) On HP site it still shows the old Nov 2011 driver for W7, under W8 there is nothing showing for graphics driver at all.

If your using W8, you can go here [Drivers] HP dv6-4XXX / dv6-6XXX / dv7-5XXX / dv7-6XXX / ENVY 14-2XXX / ENVY 17-2XXX (INTEL) - Page 41 and try that (leaked) HP driver for this card.

If not than you can run over to Leshcat's site and try his, but I think he's about to release a new 12-10 so you might want to wait for that. They will have the latest AMD and Intel mix.

As for AMD, I'm still waiting for their "final" Enduro release, maybe in another month or maybe not till Jan, I'm still waiting for AMD to make a tool that actually finds this 7690M XT and any other 76xxM card and supports these cards, but I'm not in any hurry now. I have my W8 install key and disk and can wait, I have everything working on my W7 now and don't need to run around looking for scanner or printer drivers too.

For now I sit on my OEM HP nov 2011 graphic driver, and will only update when I see a new one listed for both W7 and W8, and that actually installs "as is" and works.

Good Luck with that 7690m xt smirks :)

HP dv7t-6c00 8g ram
W7, 7690m xt 2g gddr5
17.3" 1920x1080 screen ( using 2nd monitor Samsung 26" @1920x1200)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Well if not 'leaked" than why not show them under my card's driver listing under W8 drivers? Under MY card driver page all it shows is the Nov 2011 driver under W7.

Hy no matter, like I said homes, I'm holding up on installing W8 for now as itis, I'm not in that much of a hurry to go nuts :) I got my $15 download burned to DVD and my install key now, so it an wait :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
They don't show because of one or two reasons (or both):

1. HP hasn't stopped being lazy and edited the page.
2. The drivers don't apply to your machine and might not work. They are for the Envy 14 specifically.

I found out long ago that HP "reuses" their infs between devices and you can often times get drivers meant for other devices to work for another machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
BTW homes, no use in posting a big download like that for me, I'm on dialup, and that would take 2 days lol.

So for what card are these? can you give me the normal page where to find them listed? they are a different sp number from the ones at notebook review too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

2. The drivers don't apply to your machine and might not work. They are for the Envy 14 specifically.

I found out long ago that HP "reuses" their infs between devices and you can often times get drivers meant for other devices to work for another machine.

Yah probably both, but than why would the 7690m xt be listed in the one over at notebook? if they aren't for the card shown?. I mean hell than that would be an even bigger mes for people downloading them.

I'm waiting to see what people say about Leshcat's new release of the 12-10 once he lets them out, and see what he cobbles together.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

Yah probably both, but than why would the 7690m xt be listed in the one over at notebook? if they aren't for the card shown?. I mean hell than that would be an even bigger mes for people downloading them.

I'm waiting to see what people say about Leshcat's new release of the 12-10 once he lets them out, and see what he cobbles together.

I'd have to be motivated to check (and I am not), but its possible the inf also includes 7690m XT information.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
They are for mine, specifically the 7690m. However, it also has your device IDs in the inf.

AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver HP ENVY 15-3033cl Notebook PC | HP® Support

Wow that's weird, I mean damn why would HP have a driver out for your 7690m and not the 7690m xt, really strange, I mean yeah it would seem only natural that both cards are the same. I think the only differance is the gddr, I think yours is @3 and mine is @5 but the memory clock is also a bit different too, I seen where one kid said his was just over 900, hell they said the XT was @900, but mine is actually @800. So who knows what HP did to these things. Its like going bck to the future with this crap, where everything was proprietary, remember the old PB days?.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Nah, we are both GDDR5. You have twice as much as I do though (1GB here).

Please, don't remind me of Packard Bell. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
PHP:
OK well than like I said its a bit strange, btw your running W7 right? so maybe I may go ahead and try that driver just for the hell of it since recovering my image would be a lot easier than recovering it under W8.

So you installed it and everything went well and is working as before?

Hell it would be really wild if it did work for the 7690M XT too, and than you could really post a "fix" lol, but it probably won't for some reason lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP