Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

Microsoft Solved The AMD/Intel Switchabie Graphics Problem

OK, just installed the "mobile" 13.12 and again OVER the already installed beta 13.11.9.5, all went as usual. all is in working order as before. So I'm now pretty much convinced these non OEM drivers are now installable, and am able to continue to do so, this is the 3rd one of these I have installed starting with 13.11.9.4 along with the Intel driver 3347 and so far no major problems.Everything is fine, only thing as I mentioned before was that the system now see's my HP OEM 7690m xt as some 6700 Series, which I said I was aware of anyway as its just a 6770m at its core, so nothing performance wish changed. its no issue to me what the damned card is seen as, its still AMD. With this 3rd install though I at least stopped complaining about it lololol.

I did find that leaving my COMODO AV on when installing these the AMD driver it somehow catches something and stops the completion process and the screen goes black on me, I had this the last time and couldn't figure what was the deal, I re booted using the on/off button as I couldn't see the damned screen, at re boot, things were OK, except I didn't have the CCC installed, and both monitors were on, laptop and external, the monitor issue was fixed by re setting the show only on 1 monitor, the CCC I had to re run the AMD setup again, but this time I closed my COMODO AV, and was able to see the popup system boxes that were installing in the back ground, all went OK and I have CCC back.

I could post the same CCC screen shot but its no different than the one I posted before with 13.11.9.5, it shows the updated driver in the info section, and the switchable graphics page when on "Fixed" mode. I reverted back to fixed from dynamic cause I got tired of setting the different cards for the different programs, this way I know the Radeon is being used all the time unless I go off plug and on battery. Only thing that's a pain is some of my own made screen savers don't like the Radeon card, and won't work unless I have the Intel 3000 set , oh well can't have everything , smirks.

btw I had the system set to "Fixed" when I installed this 13.12 over the installed drivers, some seem to say to use dynamic, some say fixed, I don't think it makes much differance as some don't have that option anyway. Main thing is in my case I DID NOT clean anything, I installed the first 13.11.9.4 over my installed OEM HP SP59850 driver, and have installed each update right over the others with no problems., just in case your interested, as all I read is all this "clean install" stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
installed OVER my existing driver
installed in FIXED mode
had to close my AV to get CCC installed

Radeon 7690m xt (6770m) (13.12 final)
Intel 3000 (3347)

What's Good Hoody,

There is no more need to install unsigned/unofficial beta drivers from Leshcat.

Microsoft has release a new driver update for systems running AMD/Intel graphics switchable graphics configuration. The "Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series" update solves all issues concerning Windows 8, 8.1 and Switchable Graphics.

the update not only contains the latest official AMD Graphics driver, but also installs a fully operable and configurable updated version of the Catalyst Control Center (Version: 2013 1206 1603 26764).

The update is provided by Microsoft through its Windows Update Service. You can also manually download this update via Microsoft Update Catalog. Of course, there are different versions of the update depending on the AMD device series your system has installed. While my system updates from The AMD 6490M series to the AMD 7400M series. Yours may use the 7700M series graphics device update. Once at the windows Update Catalog site via the above link I provided just change the search query from 7400M to 7700M. Doing that will take you to the update download page where you can find the particular update you may need.

Simply download the update, save it to a known location on your computer and run it from there. Restart your pc once it finishes and your done. I'm not sure if installing this update over Leshcat drivers is possible so you may need to uninstall them and reinstall the HP provided driver package to ensure this update is unimpeded and will work as it should.

We had discussed being able to use Intel Wireless Display the last time we spoke. This update will allow you to use the Intel Wireless Display Update Utility because these are signed and official AMD/Intel switchable graphics drivers contained in this update. Intel will then recognize your installed drivers as official and run on your system. Remember you also need to update your network card driver for Wireless Display as well as your Intel Graphics to work. The Intel WiDi Update Utility will update and configure your setup after you install this Microsoft update.

Again, below is the Windows Update Catalog link:

Microsoft Update Catalog

P.S., You have to love Microsoft for coming to our rescue, even when the pc manufactures who built these systems with AMD/Intel switchable graphics wouldn't, so BIG THANKS to Microsoft for this update!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM @ 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD + Radeon(TM) HD 6490M
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox Nightly28.0a1
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
UPDATED! - 15 Feb 2013

Firstly, how do I get it working?

NEW: First, read through the list of current options (Feb 2013). More details and history below...

Long story short, download the latest OEM Windows 8 drivers (e.g. for HP, by finding your model on 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products | HP® Support, or using the NotebookReview: HP Drivers and Software Forum).

For other OEM Support see the Intel OEM Support websites and AMD Global OEMs pages.

Also, be sure to CHECK if you NEED TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS - see HP's Consumer Notebooks and Windows 8 - Overview of BIOS updates and this updated post for HP Windows 8 Support pages, options and updates on new HP drivers!

Alternatively, you could use the latest Leshcat (3rd party, community-supported) driver (see the end of this post for instructions).

If you THEN want the latest AMD versions, proceed to upgrade them after installing one of the above, using the AMD Catalyst 12.10 and/or AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta releases. To get the best of both worlds, mix and match like this but ONLY if you know what you are doing (see here for more info).

If you are having (Code 43) errors with your AMD Radeon, i.e. “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”, then the fix is to load AMD-signed Intel driver in Device Manager. For more details see this post, and this post on how to fix.

If you are upgrading from other drivers, see this post, option 3. Same goes for uninstalling any of the solutions here.​

To get Intel Wireless Display (Intel WiDi) working on Windows 8, see my post here.

What is Intel HD Graphics + AMD Radeon HD Switchable Graphics?

Essentially, this is a notebook with an Intel CPU with built-in HD Graphics technology, as well as an additional AMD HD Radeon GPU.

This is different from the AMD Hybrid graphics (AMD APU or CPU + GPU) and AMD Dual Graphics (2 x AMD Radeon HD) and AMD Desktop solutions.

See also the More Info (related posts) section below.

How does it work?

It uses a custom driver from the notebook manufacturer or a custom-built driver by other 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party for the Intel GPU, which is installed via the AMD Catalyst Installation Manager (CIM). AMD switchable features are managed via the AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and packaged together with the AMD Display Driver, HDMI Audio driver, etc. Both drivers (Intel and AMD) carry AMD version numbering.

See also the More Info (related posts) section below.

What does it look like?

See HP’s Support documentation below.

Can I get this to work on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Yes, absolutely. The notebook manufacturers’ (OEM) drivers should work fine. Also, there are (unofficial) custom 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party options that enable additional features and API support. There are also reports of improved performance (for some) with these unofficial drivers, however few (see below) claim compatibility with (or support for) Windows 8 at this point.

Can I get this working with Windows 8
[*] Preview (* = Developer, Consumer, Release)?

Until recently, no. See below for the current best answer.

There were unconfirmed reports of success using the following alternatives:

1. Installing Windows 7 drivers using Windows 8 Compatibility Mode.
  2. Using a custom-signed (via WinDDK) CAT, modified INF driver to support specific PCI vendor and hardware IDs.
  3. Installing Intel and/or AMD Windows 8 Beta/Preview drivers.
  4. Suspending and resuming after installing new drivers to enable PnP detection to fix
    “black” screen and/or Code 10/Code 43 issues.
  5. Installing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party drivers.
  6. Any or all the above methods combined.

Previously, the only confirmed (and supported) working method is to switch the graphics adapter in the BIOS from Dynamic Mode to Fixed Mode (see “What does it look like?” above for HPs). This means that one graphics card will be disabled; this will likely also require the latest system BIOS from the specific notebook manufacturer in order to support this feature.

If using this method, the Windows 8 Preview drivers from Intel or AMD will also need to be installed to support whichever is the active graphics adapter.

UPDATE: As of 10/2012, HP, AMD, and Leshcat (3rd party) have Switchable Graphics drivers that include support for Switchable Graphics (a.k.a. AMD Mobility). These drivers enable support for AMD PowerPlay (Dynamic Switchable Graphics), PowerXpress (PX), and Enduro 5.5 support on Windows 8.

Why did (most of) these alternatives not work?

Presumably (best guess) because Windows 8 AMD Switchable Graphics is not yet supported by Intel/AMD/OEM notebook manufacturers. Few (if any) OEMs have drivers or support for Windows 8
[*] Preview for their notebooks.

Note that on Windows 7, the Intel HD Graphics driver is bundled with the AMD CIM/CCC package above, signed by AMD for x64 (i.e. Device Manager says “Intel HD Graphics 3000”, Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Version: 8.882.2.3000) and uses custom AMD CCC components (MOMProxy*?) to install/integrate the two drivers.

Current drivers for Windows 8
[*] (10/2012, **LIMITED AMD MOBILITY SWITCHABLE SUPPORT STARTING WITH CATALYST 12.9 BETA**):

What else did not work on Windows 8
[*] Preview, and why?

Intel Wireless Display (WiDi).

On AMD switchable systems, it seems that Intel WiDi uses the AMD card (secondary display) as the Wireless Display. I have had some success using newer/custom signed Intel drivers on Windows 8 together with the Intel Wireless driver 14.x/15.x and WiDi software version 3.x (i.e. audio worked, but black video on WiDi settop box output to TV).

Intel WiDi UPDATE:

This Intel Blog post from May 2012 states that official WiDi support will come in Windows 8 with WiDi 3.5 and WiFi/MWT 15.5, due to the new WHQL certification process. It also suggests that specific versions (i.e. WiDi 3.0.13 and WiFi/MWT 15.1.1) can be used as a temporary workaround.

Recent tests with AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta and UniFL using the latest WiDi drivers for Intel Wireless (15.2.0_s64), My WiFi Dashboard (15.2.0_s64) and WiDi (Setup 3.1.29.0) allow intermittent connections to work (audio and video good, but unable to maintain the WiDi connection for more than 2 minutes) on Windows 8 Release Preview.

OLD: Also, see NotebookReview's driver listings by model for the latest Intel WiDi updates for HP notebooks. (currently WiDi 3.5.*, which supports Miracast and USB over WiDi - WiUSB, and more).

UPDATE: To get Intel Wireless Display working on Windows 8, see my post here.

[* DRIVER UPDATE *]: Windows 8 RTM/Release (Build 9200) and higher
:

Unlike the AMD Catalyst Software Suite 12.8 drivers of 15-Aug-2012, as of AMD Catalyst Software Suite 12.9 dated 26-Sep-2012 official limited support for Switchable Graphics (AMD Mobility*) IS INCLUDED in the form of a reference driver:

See the last tables at AMD Catalyst? Software Suite Version 12.9 Beta Release Notes

As of right now, Intel's HD Graphics 3000/2000 and 4000/2500 driver version is 15.28.7.64.2867 (9.17.10.2867), dated 02-Oct-2012:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...3000/2000&ProdId=3319&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

For HP owners (Intel HD Graphics + AMD Radeon HD), THERE ARE CURRENTLY official HP Windows 8 downloads (see links below). However, other alternatives may CONTINUE to be available after Windows 8's October 26, 2012 release date (Messages 105 to 109+ on this HP Support Forum post), including "unofficial" driver support from the user community, partly because of the expected likelihood of frequent updates from Intel and/or AMD continuing into 2013.

[/! \] Unofficial Drivers (WARNING: use with caution - community support ONLY!)

• Leshcatlabs.net are now Windows 8-compatible (as of Catalyst 12.8 WHQL UnifL for ATi+Intel Graphics, a.k.a. 12.8 WHQL UnifL Release v 5.1 - see below)
  • asder00 (AMD Catalyst 12.x 9.001 September 4 and later) with support for AMD Enduro Switchable Graphics (see below)
  • Others on Guru3D, Benchmark3D (specifically 7900MOD), elsewhere (Google?)

Latest AMD for Vista/Win7/Win8 (WARNING: Does not include [AMD-signed] Intel HD Graphics driver [required!], for AMD Radeon 5000 Series and higher)

Latest HP drivers (both Intel + AMD Switchable integrated)

Latest Intel HD Graphics for Win7/Win8: (WARNING: Does NOT support AMD Switchable Graphics or Enduro; for Intel-only support and WiDi)

• WARNING: Installing this driver may result in Device Manager (Code 43) error (scroll to the top for more info) and loss of AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC) functionality
  • Click here to search the Intel Download Center

GENERAL NOTE: The FIRST Intel WHQL release for Windows 8 seems to be 15.28.8.2875 (9.17.10.64.2875); the latest HP drivers use 9.17.10.2817 or 9.17.10.2847 AFAIK. (as does AMD Catalyst 12.10 and 12.11 Beta4, in part - not sure about Beta 6 or higher)

More Info (related posts)

Minimal Steps for installing Leshcat's (Unofficial) Catalyst 12.9 Sep4 UnifL PT v0.5 for NEW USERS

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features (Win8), select AMD Catalyst Install Manager, click Change and select "Express Uninstall ALL AMD..."
  2. Run Treexy Driver Fusion (download and install first) and select both AMD Display and Intel Display, then click Delete to remove any leftover components
  3. Run UnifL Configuration Tool (UCT) until you get to the Main Menu, select UnifL Tools button, and install DSE first, then the Certificate (optional)
  4. Rerun UnifL Configuration Tool (UCT) and click the Manual button, to verify steps for your specific installation have been completed
  5. Lastly, run UnifL Configuration Tool (UCT) and click the Next button.

For users already running UnifL, see the update instructions in the Manual (button) on the Main Menu.

UPDATE: The new UnifL Manual is now available online, along with Catalyst 13.2 Beta5 UnifL. The generic process with screenshots is here - please read ALL the comments on the Driver's download/release page.

What is the BEST ANSWER?

NEW: For a brief synopsis of the options, see this Feb2013 post (also linked above). See this post and this post for the latest update and details.

Before the Windows 8 release (26 October, 2012), options were:

1. Use the official HP drivers (based on older Intel/AMD software, see UPDATE 2 below)
  2. Use 3rd party drivers (Leshcat, others)
  3. Mix-and-match the above with AMD (official/Beta) drivers (see UPDATE 1)

Previously, the best solution was to install Leshcat's UnifL as above, then Update with AMD's latest Enduro 5.5 (Catalyst Beta) driver. Option 1 + Option 3 could be viable as well...further testing will determine the final answer.

[UPDATE 1:] The official AMD Catalyst 12.10 and 12.11 Beta (preferred) drivers (both are on the same link) are now available for download. They still depend on a separate Intel driver (see here for details, and why this applies to 64-bit systems).

[UPDATE 2:] HP has released official updates to its drivers. These drivers are integrated Intel + AMD (i.e. all-in-one), but they are based on versions older than what Intel and AMD currently provide. NotebookReview has compiled driver listings by model - see the "Sticky" posts here.​

Comments/updates welcome!

Hello Alphastar,

You may want to update your thread so it includes the following Microsoft Update fix to the AMD/ Intel Switchable graphics issue. this update completely solves this issue with signed, official drivers and includes a fully functioning version of the Catalyst Control Center.

Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7xxxM Series
Microsoft Update Catalog

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hello hoody,

I forgot to mention... The last time we spoke you mentioned that your touchpad LED light began flickering on and off after installing a Leshcat update. You can simply turn the light on your touchpad off by pressing the "fn+space bar" keys. This Hotkey combination will both toggle the light around your touchpad on and off, just so you know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hello hoody,

I forgot to mention... The last time we spoke you mentioned that your touchpad LED light began flickering on and off after installing a Leshcat update. You can simply turn the light on your touchpad off by pressing the "fn+space bar" keys. This Hotkey combination will both toggle the light around your touchpad on and off, just so you know.

Yo man,

Yeah I have since updated those WIDI drivers with no problem, at first I lost my Intel Proset tray icon the little green thing that shows your connection, had to restore a previous set point to get it back, I re installed the WIDI drivers and this time they took OK, so I have that if I ever decide to find one of those items to connect it to the TV with, I haven't bothered as the TV I got is only 720I I want to wait and get a WIDI ready TV that has the full 1080P.

As for the video drivers, sounds good, btw I don't use leshcat drivers, I installed the regular final AMD 13.12 driver I downloaded right from AMD, which incl the latest CCC, and no problem installing it, although as I said I did leave my old HP sp59850 driver installed, my gpu is this half ass 7690m xt which is just a 6770m at its core anyway. I then got the newest Intel apu driver for my 2nd gen 3000, and installed that, it also went OK. So as far as I see I already have the signed drivers, maybe that's why MS update doesn't give me anything as far as drivers go. But we'll see when something updated comes out like a 14.01 from AMD.

Anyway homes, I have this thing running pretty well now with W8.1 pro so I'm not gona complain that much about it lol, I still won't be getting anything with a "Radeon" again though for any future laptop. I'm waiting for this W8.2 to arrive to see what got put back, maybe I can get rid of these 3rd party programs I now use to have a working GUI like 7, we'll see.

Oh as for that touch pad light, it doesn't matter what I tried, fn+space or not, it won't come back on, I tried removing the battery and replacing it, I tried the BIOS thing, but nothing seems to re light the thing, could be its just burned out, oh well, its one of those things that look nice, but don't really have much use, so I'm used to not seeing it, if it comes back by magic so be it lolol.

L8r, I'll check that link and see what it shows.

BTW ...........happy new year.................

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
OK just went to that link, here's what I see for my 7690m xt

Microsoft Update Catalog

funny the size is no where near the AMD 13.12 final, and I'm not sure how you'd select the right one as they all are for the 7690m xt, I assume the latest dated one. I'm pretty sure that the MS update feature should/would pick up any driver that it finds not being up to date if they are now looking for that type of hardware on your system when it looks for updates.

But its good to see the thing at least listed

BTW here's a link to the Intel 3000 APU drivers, so I guess you don't even need to go to the Intel driver site.

Microsoft Update Catalog

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Hello hoody,

Yo man,

Yeah I have since updated those WIDI drivers with no problem, at first I lost my Intel Proset tray icon the little green thing that shows your connection, had to restore a previous set point to get it back, I re installed the WIDI drivers and this time they took OK, so I have that if I ever decide to find one of those items to connect it to the TV with, I haven't bothered as the TV I got is only 720I I want to wait and get a WIDI ready TV that has the full 1080P.

As for the video drivers, sounds good, btw I don't use leshcat drivers, I installed the regular final AMD 13.12 driver I downloaded right from AMD, which incl the latest CCC, and no problem installing it, although as I said I did leave my old HP sp59850 driver installed, my gpu is this half ass 7690m xt which is just a 6770m at its core anyway. I then got the newest Intel apu driver for my 2nd gen 3000, and installed that, it also went OK. So as far as I see I already have the signed drivers, maybe that's why MS update doesn't give me anything as far as drivers go. But we'll see when something updated comes out like a 14.01 from AMD.

Anyway homes, I have this thing running pretty well now with W8.1 pro so I'm not gona complain that much about it lol, I still won't be getting anything with a "Radeon" again though for any future laptop. I'm waiting for this W8.2 to arrive to see what got put back, maybe I can get rid of these 3rd party programs I now use to have a working GUI like 7, we'll see.

Oh as for that touch pad light, it doesn't matter what I tried, fn+space or not, it won't come back on, I tried removing the battery and replacing it, I tried the BIOS thing, but nothing seems to re light the thing, could be its just burned out, oh well, its one of those things that look nice, but don't really have much use, so I'm used to not seeing it, if it comes back by magic so be it lolol.

L8r, I'll check that link and see what it shows.

BTW ...........happy new year.................

Hey Hoody,

All I can tell you is, Microsoft has solved this issue completely. You told me before that you installed some type of graphics update that renamed your AMD driver in the device Manager to AMD HD 7700M series. That would be because you have the Mid to Highest grade graphics card installed from HP. My card was 6490M series. That card is now supported by 7400M Series drivers.

Here's the thing... Leshcat drivers are no were near the latest available for your system. However, they are the most recent drivers that are compatible with your hardware. This is why Windows Update Service continually offers you updates for your Graphics hardware and will even install those official drive updates automatically depending on your update settings.

You only have to allow your windows update service to offer you the update. There is no need for you to know which version you need. The update service scans your registry for that info in order to provide you with the right device driver. You simply allow the update to be installed. It's usually an optional update for hardware. A system that is current on hardware updates will not be offered this update. I only provided you with the Windows Update Catalog link because I assumed you knew what graphics hardware device you have installed and what version of the "Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7xxxM Series" driver update version you needed.

The Update Catalog is for advanced users who know how to use it and what they're looking for. It provides IT Professionals and end-users with the ability to manually download the exact same updates offered automatically by the Windows Update Service.

P.S.,
The issue with the touchpad light is most likely due to something you've installed. Fix that and the light should work again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

Microsoft Update Catalog

funny the size is no where near the AMD 13.12 final, and I'm not sure how you'd select the right one as they all are for the 7690m xt, I assume the latest dated one. I'm pretty sure that the MS update feature should/would pick up any driver that it finds not being up to date if they are now looking for that type of hardware on your system when it looks for updates.

BTW here's a link to the Intel 3000 APU drivers, so I guess you don't even need to go to the Intel driver site.

Microsoft Update Catalog

Hello Hoody,

Below is the exact description of both version and date information of the AMD driver contained in the Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7xxxM Series provided by Microsoft windows Update service.

Company: Advanced
Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro
Devices, Inc.

Driver Class: Other Hardware

Driver Model: AMD
Radeon HD 7700M Series

Driver
Provider: Advanced Micro
Devices, Inc.

Version: 13.251.0.0

Version
Date: 12/6/2013

P.S.,

Take note of the date of the driver version. It's three weeks old. It is the latest which supports switchable graphics and multiple GPU setups offered by AMD.

Thanks for asking about my holiday. I hope yours went well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

Microsoft Update Catalog

Microsoft Update Catalog

Hello Hoody,

Below is the exact description of both version and date information of the AMD driver contained in the Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7xxxM Series provided by Microsoft windows Update service.

Company: Advanced
Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro
Devices, Inc.

Driver Class: Other Hardware

Driver Model: AMD
Radeon HD 7700M Series

Driver
Provider: Advanced Micro
Devices, Inc.

Version: 13.251.0.0

Version
Date: 12/6/2013

P.S.,

Take note of the date of the driver version. It's three weeks old. It is the latest which supports switchable graphics and multiple GPU setups offered by AMD.

Thanks for asking about my holiday. I hope yours went well.

Yup, that's what I have installed, like I said i used the "mobility" 13.12 64bit 7xxxm driver right from AMD

Attachments

• AMD 13.12 final mobility driver.jpg
    AMD 13.12 final mobility driver.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 287

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Hi MKeezy,

I'm installing ATI (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series) and INTEL (Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000) trough WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE

after installation finish and restart, i can not find the AMD Catalyst Install Manager, Intel Control Center, Intel HD Graphics Drivers in Program and Features.
but from hardware configuration detect "AMD 6600M and 6700M Series" and "Intel HD 3000" already.

how to use ATI control center? usually right click in the desktop i can see the option but for now i didn't see it?
can you help me

thx

What's Good Hoody,

Microsoft has release a new driver update for systems running AMD/Intel graphics switchable graphics configuration. The "Advanced Micro Device, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series" update solves all issues concerning Windows 8, 8.1 and Switchable Graphics.

the update not only contains the latest official AMD Graphics driver, but also installs a fully operable and configurable updated version of the Catalyst Control Center (Version: 2013 1206 1603 26764).

The update is provided by Microsoft through its Windows Update Service. You can also manually download this update via Microsoft Update Catalog. Of course, there are different versions of the update depending on the AMD device series your system has installed. While my system updates from The AMD 6490M series to the AMD 7400M series. Yours may use the 7700M series graphics device update. Once at the windows Update Catalog site via the above link I provided just change the search query from 7400M to 7700M. Doing that will take you to the update download page where you can find the particular update you may need.

Simply download the update, save it to a known location on your computer and run it from there. Restart your pc once it finishes and your done. I'm not sure if installing this update over Leshcat drivers is possible so you may need to uninstall them and reinstall the HP provided driver package to ensure this update is unimpeded and will work as it should.

We had discussed being able to use Intel Wireless Display the last time we spoke. This update will allow you to use the Intel Wireless Display Update Utility because these are signed and official AMD/Intel switchable graphics drivers contained in this update. Intel will then recognize your installed drivers as official and run on your system. Remember you also need to update your network card driver for Wireless Display as well as your Intel Graphics to work. The Intel WiDi Update Utility will update and configure your setup after you install this Microsoft update.

Microsoft Update Catalog

P.S., You have to love Microsoft for coming to our rescue, even when the pc manufactures who built these systems with AMD/Intel switchable graphics wouldn't, so BIG THANKS to Microsoft for this update!

View attachment 34458 View attachment 34459 View attachment 34460 View attachment 34461

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
I'm runnin' windows 8.1 I've install intel ,amd radeon GC but still using intel 4000 my dell inspiron 15 r it's GC is radeon 8730m can any one help me :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD phenomx2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    gt 560 1 gb ddr5
Hi MKeezy,

I'm installing ATI (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series) and INTEL (Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000) trough WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE

after installation finish and restart, i can not find the AMD Catalyst Install Manager, Intel Control Center, Intel HD Graphics Drivers in Program and Features.
but from hardware configuration detect "AMD 6600M and 6700M Series" and "Intel HD 3000" already.

how to use ATI control center? usually right click in the desktop i can see the option but for now i didn't see it?
can you help me

thx

What's Good Hoody,

The update is provided by Microsoft through and its Windows Update Service. You can manually download this update via Microsoft Update Catalog. Of course, there are different versions of the update depending on the AMD device series your system is running. While my system's update is for the AMD 6490M series (a.k.a.) AMD 7400M series. Yours may use the 7700M series graphics device update. Once at the windows Update Catalog site, download the appropriate update package for your system's configuration via the above link I have provided. Simply change the search query from 7400M to 7700M. Doing that will take you to the update package download page for your system where you can find the particular update you may need.

Simply download the update, save it to a known location on your computer and run it from there. Restart your pc once the download completes and your done. I'm not sure if installing this update over Leshcat drivers is possible, so you may need to uninstall them and reinstall the HP provided driver package to ensure this update is unimpeded and will work as it should.

Microsoft Update Catalog

View attachment 34458 View attachment 34459 View attachment 34460 View attachment 34461

Hey,

I'm sorry it took me so long to log back into Eight Forums to find your message waiting for me. Follow this link: Microsoft Update Catalog

Once at the Update Catalog site, type your graphics hardware device series number into the search field in the upper right hand corner of the page. Locate the update for your system, which I assume is the following:

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series.

You'll want to select the corresponding update package that has the largest file size. It will contain both hardware drivers and the missing software you'll need. The update package will most likely be in the form of a compressed zip type of file. Simply decompress the update package file, and select the "ccc2 install.exe" file from the list of items in the now decompressed update package folder. You'll need to run this file in order to install the missing "Catalyst Control Center" component, which may not have been installed correctly during the initial update process.

1. Once the install completes, restart your system.
2. Navigate to your charms menu and select the search option.
3. Type "AMD Catalyst Control Center"
4. Run the CCC from there or simply do as you said before, "right click some where on your desktop to select graphics properties."
5. Once the "CCC" is opened, select properties/Enable System Tray Icon

Attention:

[Do this, assuming you have a compatible switchable graphics configuration that supports the update and after you've ensured your switchable graphics feature has already been enable in your system's BIOS. Furthermore, I accept no responsibility for any damage that may occur by you installing this update onto your system. Only those who know exactly what they need and how to use the Windows Update Catalog should ever attempt to manually install Windows Updates or any of its parts onto their system.]

I see that you're running a Dell. I am not really familiar with Dell's switchable graphics configuration. However, if you have AMD/Intel switchable graphics and the Microsoft Update service has already offered you this update and you're simply trying to re-install this update correctly, following the above mentioned steps will help you try to correct the failed installation. Sometimes even updates installed automatically by the Windows Update Service aren't applied correctly and parts of those updates do sometimes go missing. This fix was provided to you you with that particular scenario in mind.

If there are any other missing files and/or components related to the above mentioned update needed by you, it too will be contained in the compressed update package I have recommended you download from the Update Catalog site. You can always manually apply missing files or even reinstall the entire update from that file manually.

I hope that I made these instructions clear enough for you to successfully follow them. Good luck!!!

Thanks,
MKeezy

P.S.,
I've have attached an example of the file within the compressed folder that contains all the update information necessary to manually install the missing component.

AMD Zip.JPG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hi MKeezy,

thx for your guide, now i can use catalyst control center and switchable graphics card configuration :)

thank u very much :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
Hi MKeezy,

thx for your guide, now i can use catalyst control center and switchable graphics card configuration :)

thank u very much :)

Hello Mashebro,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your switchable graphics working. You shouldn't have any further problems with it.

Good Luck,
MKeezy:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hi, thank you for the wonderful help you people made at this thread.
I just updated to 8.1 from 7
I'm on HP g6-1240se (HD 7400M series)
I installed all drivers in the HP support for my model. then i ran on the switchable graphics problem

My ccc menu should be similar to this
download.jpg

I followed
MKeezy's instructions of downloading/updating through update center.
This is my current CCC menu.

MISSING.PNG
Is there something wrong here?

also when i click on configure switchable graphics via right clicking the desktop i only get this. compare to before in W7
wtf.PNG

Thank you for the help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Assuming I'm looking a screenshots of your system's actual Catalyst Control Center's graphics properties splash screen, It appears to be functioning properly. However, there is one item displayed of concern to me depicted in the capture image. The tab labeled "Power" on the left should contain multiple options, such as; Switchable Graphics Global Settings, Switchable Graphics Application Settings, Switchable, and Graphics Application Monitoring.

On the other hand, it appears that your graphics are already set to and running in the Switchable Graphics Application Settings Mode. I can tell this by the information displayed in the above first screenshot capture image you posted. It shows that you have configured some questionable items (applications) to run using your discrete graphics GPU. Applications like Notepad, Task Manager, and Command Prompt should not be configured so. In fact, they should not be set at all. You only need to configure settings for applications that require dedicated graphics that are more powerful than that your dedicated Intel GPU can provide (i.e., video games, Photoshop, CAD, video editing software, etc...). Those applications should be set or configured to use High Performance Mode. That will ensure they will run using your AMD GPU.

Bear in mind, some software is only made to run using your Intel GPU. Those application must be set or configured to run using power saving mode ONLY! Your Intel graphics can handle pretty much any app the average person might run, including many simple games like, Angry Birds and such. Your more complicated video games would require using your AMD GPU. Everything else should remain unset, which by default would use the Intel GPU or configured to run on Power Saving Mode.

Check and make sure that you have your switchable graphics feature set to Dynamic Mode in you system's BIOS Setup Utility. I hope this information helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Re: Mikimay Help Request

Hi, thank you for the wonderful help you people made at this thread.
I just updated to 8.1 from 7
I'm on HP g6-1240se (HD 7400M series)
I installed all drivers in the HP support for my model. then i ran on the switchable graphics problem

My ccc menu should be similar to this
View attachment 36419

I followed
MKeezy's instructions of downloading/updating through update center.
This is my current CCC menu.

View attachment 36418
Is there something wrong here?

also when i click on configure switchable graphics via right clicking the desktop i only get this. compare to before in W7
View attachment 36420

Thank you for the help

Hello Mikimay,

The above post was directed at you. First, you might want to reconfigure Notepad, Command Prompt and Task Manager applications to run using "Power Savings" mode. There is no need to configure them to run using "High Performance" mode as I see you to in the above screenshot capture image that you provided.

Secondly, it appears that you are missing some settings under the "Power" tab that should be present. This makes me wonder whether you have enabled Switchable Graphics by setting this feature to Dynamic Mode in your system's BIOS. Otherwise, You're setup is only using one of your GPU if it's set to Fixed Mode in your BIOS.

Also, you mentioned that you used my instructions the update center to use update your Switchable Graphics package. However, my instruction were for those End-Users who were updating through Microsoft's Update Catalog site and "NOT HP's update site. HP's update packages are out of date and will not work under the Windows 8.1 OS platform.

Microsoft has released an official AMD/Intel Switchable Graphics package that will allow you to enable this feature under the Windows 8.1 OS Platform, if your system has a compatible AMD/Intel switchable graphics hardware configuration. In that case, Microsoft update will offer you the necessary update which includes the CCC software your system needs to enable and configure the switchable graphics feature.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hello,
I have a brand new Lenovo G510, with switchable graphics AMD Radeon HD8570M/Intel HD Graphics 4600. My OS is Windows 8.1 (it was already installed on my laptop when I bought it). I realized that I am having problems with my graphics cards (crashes while playing games or working with Blender, occasional BSOD with errors pointing to AMD drivers, really bad performance on Unigine Benchmark etc.). I arrived here while browsing around to find a solution, however I am not sure I understand how to solve my issues with the Microsoft package (which so far seems to be the only thing that can possibly work).

I tried checking for updated drivers in devmgmt.msc, and it says my drivers are up to date. If I run Windows Update it says that I have no updates to apply, but if I check the already installed updates I can't see anything with "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 " in its name. So I tried going on the Microsoft Update Catalog website, and I looked for 8750m. I was in fact able to find some update packages, and I downloaded the biggest and most recent named

"
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 8570M " .

However, all I get is a .cab folder. I can open or extract it, but I have no idea of what to do next, since there is no file named ccc2.exe or even anything with a similar name.

I am attaching a picture of the folder content:

AMD_content.pngAMD_content.png

I am also posting a screenshot of my installed updates (I had to take a couple to capture all of them)

Installed_updates1.png

Installed_updates2.png

I would really appreciate any help to solve this issue, I tried asking for help on the Lenovo forum but received no answer and I am getting really frustrated :/ .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G510
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4200MM @ 2.50 GHz
    Memory
    8.00 GB
Re: Kalenz

Hello,
I have a brand new Lenovo G510, with switchable graphics AMD Radeon HD8570M/Intel HD Graphics 4600. My OS is Windows 8.1 (it was already installed on my laptop when I bought it). I realized that I am having problems with my graphics cards (crashes while playing games or working with Blender, occasional BSOD with errors pointing to AMD drivers, really bad performance on Unigine Benchmark etc.). I arrived here while browsing around to find a solution, however I am not sure I understand how to solve my issues with the Microsoft package (which so far seems to be the only thing that can possibly work).

I tried checking for updated drivers in devmgmt.msc, and it says my drivers are up to date. If I run Windows Update it says that I have no updates to apply, but if I check the already installed updates I can't see anything with "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 " in its name. So I tried going on the Microsoft Update Catalog website, and I looked for 8750m. I was in fact able to find some update packages, and I downloaded the biggest and most recent named

"
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 8570M " .

However, all I get is a .cab folder. I can open or extract it, but I have no idea of what to do next, since there is no file named ccc2.exe or even anything with a similar name.

I am attaching a picture of the folder content:

View attachment 37006View attachment 37006

I am also posting a screenshot of my installed updates (I had to take a couple to capture all of them)

View attachment 37008

View attachment 37009

I would really appreciate any help to solve this issue, I tried asking for help on the Lenovo forum but received no answer and I am getting really frustrated :/ .

Hello Kalenz,

Among all the items you seem to have installed on your system, I don’t see any mention of AMD/ Intel Switchable Graphics. Can you provide us with more information about exactly what AMD/Intel devices you have installed? Info like driver versions would be helpful.

By the way, if your system actually has an AMD/Intel hardware configuration. You would only be interested in the WDDM1.3 update package which is the most current Microsoft provides for that particular hardware setup.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2,
Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 8570M
Last Modified: 12/9/2013
Size: 65.7 MB

You said, your device manager shows that your display hardware is current and up-to-date as it is. Can you tell me if either of your two display adapter names has been changed? For instance, my original adapter name was AMD Radeon HD 64900M, which was changed by Microsoft in my device manager to 7400M series. Therefore, the Microsoft update for the device was not based on my display adapter’s original name but rather the new name to which it was changed.

Can you tell me the original series number for your display adapters? I have to assume that 8570M is the original series number. I’m not familiar with that series being part of the switchable graphics family.

You mentioned that your system was brand new. Have you contacted your system’s manufacturer about the issues you’re having with your display adapter(s)? From what I can tell, your system is running with 4th Generation Intel processor and does not have switchable graphics. This forum mainly addresses issues with AMD/Intel switchable graphics. However, I did come across some information that may help you. You’ll find a link to that info below. The following is a link to some info that you may find helpful:

Windows Next Graphics Driver Dynamic update - 13.251.0.0 (WDDM1.3) - Guru3D.com Forums

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Hello,
First of all, thank you for your extremely quick reply. I will try to provide a few more details about my system.

Among all the items you seem to have installed on your system, I don’t see any mention of AMD/ Intel Switchable Graphics. Can you provide us with more information about exactly what AMD/Intel devices you have installed? Info like driver versions would be helpful.

I am assuming I do have switchable graphics because of what I see when I go on the AMD Catalys Control Center:

AMD_ccc.png

And here are my drivers:

AMD_driver.pngIntel_Driver.png

By the way, if your system actually has an AMD/Intel hardware configuration. You would only be interested in the WDDM1.3 update package which is the most current Microsoft provides for that particular hardware setup.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2,
Size: 65.7 MB​

Yes, I believe it is the one I downloaded. I am just puzzled about how to apply it.

You said, your device manager shows that your display hardware is current and up-to-date as it is. Can you tell me if either of your two display adapter names has been changed? For instance, my original adapter name was AMD Radeon HD 64900M, which was changed by Microsoft in my device manager to 7400M series. Therefore, the Microsoft update for the device was not based on my display adapter’s original name but rather the new name to which it was changed.

Can you tell me the original series number for your display adapters? I have to assume that 8570M is the original series number. I’m not familiar with that series being part of the switchable graphics family.

As far as I can tell, the display adapter names have not been changed, however I am not sure about how to check that. The names I provided are those that I can see on the device manager interface, and they seem to be correct for my laptop model.

You mentioned that your system was brand new. Have you contacted your system’s manufacturer about the issues you’re having with your display adapter(s)? From what I can tell, your system is running with 4th Generation Intel processor and does not have switchable graphics. This forum mainly addresses issues with AMD/Intel switchable graphics. However, I did come across some information that may help you. You’ll find a link to that info below. The following is a link to some info that you may find helpful:

Windows Next Graphics Driver Dynamic update - 13.251.0.0 (WDDM1.3) - Guru3D.com Forums

Yes, I tried to contact Lenovo on their forum, but did not receive any reply. There also seems to be a certain number of users having the same problem, and I have to say that when I realized that I couldn't help showing a bit of irritation (caused by the fact that I definitely didn't expect to have issues with drivers on a brand new laptop...). Looking at it now with a chillier mind, it probably wasn't the best course of action, but oh well. Anyway I am linking here the thread from their forum that I believe is most pertinent (there is actually more than one on this issue):

Lenovo G510 switching graphics tests and issues. - Lenovo Community

Regarding the link you provided, I had seen it previously and downloaded the .exe update they provided, but when I try to run it it gets blocked by Windows Smart Screen. I could allow it to run anyway, but I decided instead to play it safer and post questions here. If you or somebody else can confirm that it's legit and safe I can try to run it and see how it goes though.

I had also tried to apply this procedure:

1. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
2. Click Start.
3. Right-click Computer > Manage. When prompted for permission from User Account Control, click Yes.
4. Select Device Manager from the navigation tab on the left.
5. Double-click Display Adapters.
6. Right-click the AMD Graphics Controller and click Update Driver Software.
8. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
9. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
10. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
11. Reboot computer when prompted.

to install the drivers I got from the WDDM1.3 update package, however after step 9 instead of installing the drivers it says that my drivers are already updated and stops.

I believe this is all, please let me know if I missed something, and thanks again for your help. I consider myself tech savvy, but drivers and hardware issues give me a headache x) .

EDIT: I was trying to play Dragon Age Origins to make sure the issue was actually still there, and I had a BSOD with the following error:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

Hope this helps shedding some light on the problems I am having.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G510
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4200MM @ 2.50 GHz
    Memory
    8.00 GB
Re: Kalenz

Hello,
First of all, thank you for your extremely quick reply. I will try to provide a few more details about my system.

I am assuming I do have switchable graphics because of what I see when I go on the AMD Catalys Control Center:

View attachment 37019

And here are my drivers:

View attachment 37020View attachment 37021

Size: 65.7 MB​

Yes, I believe it is the one I downloaded. I am just puzzled about how to apply it.

As far as I can tell, the display adapter names have not been changed, however I am not sure about how to check that. The names I provided are those that I can see on the device manager interface, and they seem to be correct for my laptop model.

Yes, I tried to contact Lenovo on their forum, but did not receive any reply. There also seems to be a certain number of users having the same problem, and I have to say that when I realized that I couldn't help showing a bit of irritation (caused by the fact that I definitely didn't expect to have issues with drivers on a brand new laptop...). Looking at it now with a chillier mind, it probably wasn't the best course of action, but oh well. Anyway I am linking here the thread from their forum that I believe is most pertinent (there is actually more than one on this issue):

Lenovo G510 switching graphics tests and issues. - Lenovo Community

Regarding the link you provided, I had seen it previously and downloaded the .exe update they provided, but when I try to run it it gets blocked by Windows Smart Screen. I could allow it to run anyway, but I decided instead to play it safer and post questions here. If you or somebody else can confirm that it's legit and safe I can try to run it and see how it goes though.

I had also tried to apply this procedure:

1. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
2. Click Start.
3. Right-click Computer > Manage. When prompted for permission from User Account Control, click Yes.
4. Select Device Manager from the navigation tab on the left.
5. Double-click Display Adapters.
6. Right-click the AMD Graphics Controller and click Update Driver Software.
8. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
9. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
10. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
11. Reboot computer when prompted.

to install the drivers I got from the WDDM1.3 update package, however after step 9 instead of installing the drivers it says that my drivers are already updated and stops.

I believe this is all, please let me know if I missed something, and thanks again for your help. I consider myself tech savvy, but drivers and hardware issues give me a headache x) .

EDIT: I was trying to play Dragon Age Origins to make sure the issue was actually still there, and I had a BSOD with the following error:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

Hope this helps shedding some light on the problems I am having.

Hello Kalenz,

I appreciate the update on your hardware configuration. It seems that you’re running a more recent hardware configuration than most of us in this forum, but you’re right, you do seem to have a fully enabled AMD/Intel switchable graphics hardware configuration. Most of the people using this forum are working with 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] & 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] generation AMD/Intel device setups.

After doing a little more research, it seems that your issue isn’t with your drivers, but rather your switchable graphics settings. It seems you have yours set to Global Mode. According to what I’ve read, you may want to disable switchable graphics and just use the AMD graphics while playing process hungry applications. You can do this by entering your system’s BIOS setup utility and changing your system’s switchable graphics mode to fix. This will ensure that only your discrete AMD graphics card is used to display.

I’m also made aware that there are some issues with end-users not being able to enable or disable certain settings related to their switchable graphics as in earlier version of this type of setup. I provided you with a link to some information I came across in my first reply to you. The information pointed to a known issue with certain device adapters that would require a patch as well as the Microsoft AMD update to be applied to address issues with Enduro users. This applies mostly to European devices.
The following link contains more info about that: AMD Catalyst Mobility PowerXpress and Enduro Fix Drivers (13.11BetaV8) - Guru3D.com Forums

The patch fixes issues with DirectX being underutilized, resulting in performance issues. I won’t pretend to have the answer to your problem, but it seems that the problem lies within your device settings and not with the actual device or its drivers. Updating probably won’t help you solve this issue.
Try troubleshooting your settings.

1. Try changing your switchable graphics setting in your Catalyst Control Center from Global Settings Mode to Application Settings Mode. (This allows you to choose which application uses which Graphics adapter.)
  2. Try disabling Dynamic mode and enabling Fixed mode in your system’s BIOS setup utility. (This ensures that only your AMD discrete graphics adapter is used and your dedicated Intel graphics adapter will not be used.)

The current Global Setting in your AMD Catalyst Control Center automatically switches between graphics adapters, but may not be selecting the appropriate card for the applications you’re running. However, changing that setting to the Application Setting allows you (the user) to choose for each application you run exactly which of your two graphics adapters will be used. Try both trouble shooting tips I provided above and get back to me with the results of each. I will continue researching an appropriate solution to your problem in the mean time.

P.S., I'm amazed there are PC manufacturers out there who are actually continuing to build systems with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics setup. The have to know serious performance and driver related issues exist with this hardware configuration by now. NVidia/Intel is a much better and reliable setup.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory