Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

@Jaime, ALL,

I know that I referred you to SP59850 directly to enable Switchable Graphics capability; typically I would also install the latest AMD Catalyst Beta to enable any performance enhancements (i.e. gaming fixes). You should try adding (installing after) the latest Catalyst Beta or the SoftPaq listed below to see if it improves things.

It so happens that I have also been working on having Intel Wireless Display working (as it is featured on most Switchable Graphics notebooks); since switching to SP59850 again (from SP60115, a few weeks back) I have noticed that WiDi has stopped working again.

It seems that the Intel driver version required (by Intel) has changed to 9.17.10.2867, which is NOT what is in SP59850 (9.17.10.2843).

Currently, I'm getting the following error (It was working up to 3 weeks ago):
WiDi 3.5.40 error.jpg

And from the new WiDi installer:
WiDi 3.5.41 installation fail.jpg

I'll be trying HP SoftPaq SP60478 and posting results here shortly...[DEL](Switchable Graphics users running ONLY an HP SoftPaq e.g. SP59850 or earlier/later should try this as well, not just WiDi users)[/DEL].

Edit: Tried it, but SP60478 ONLY supports AMD Radeon HD 8750Ms and Intel HD Graphics 4000, it seems. Sorry folks. For WiDi users with AMD Radeon 8750M ONLY, there is SP60478 which coincides with the release of Intel WiDi 3.5.41 (previous release was 3.5.40). A fringe benefit is that it appears that AMD CCC has been updated in this SoftPaq from 9.0.0.0 to 9.3.6.0 (Catalyst 12.11+ release from HP, maybe?)

Feel free to check out my WiDi FAQ, this Intel blog (plus the comments), and the Intel Wireless Display Support page for system requirements, latest downloads, and more details.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Hello, first time poster. I`ve got the new Samsung Chronos NP780Z5E-S01 with the switchable Intel HD 4000 & AMD 8870M gfx card. Everything is working fine except for one game. Lock On (Modern Air Combat). I select lockon.exe to be high performance and using HWiNFO64 but no matter what I can only get it to use the Intel HD 4000. Anyone got this game or had a similar experience with another game that can guide me?

Unfortunately driver update (even with leshcatlabs ones) is not an option as AMD has not published any official drivers which supports the 8000M series yet.

(edited as I realized that even in the menu the AMD 8870M isn't being used)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Chronos 780Z5E-S01
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3635QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 & AMD 8870M
@greth,

What happens if you go to AMD CCC->Switchable Graphics Global Settings and set the Active Power Plan to Maximize Performance?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
@alphastar
Hi again,
Yeah my Intel card does have the hardware IDs that you suggested but whether or not that was the Unknown Device I don't know as I didn't actually look :/

My Intel card reports:
Driver = 8.882.2.4000
Date = 28/11/2011
Hardware IDs as you said.
Service Pack 1 Windows 7.

What you suggested makes sense so thanks!
Whether or not I will fiddle with it again now remains to be seen as have a lot of essays to write between now and May!

Keep me posted on any developments!

Jeremy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit
@greth,

What happens if you go to AMD CCC->Switchable Graphics Global Settings and set the Active Power Plan to Maximize Performance?

Just thought I'd check, AC power was already set to 'Maximize Performance', changed battery power to be the same but still no luck :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3635QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
@greth,

Just thought I'd check, AC power was already set to 'Maximize Performance', changed battery power to be the same but still no luck :(

Well, the other thing is that LOMAC is an older game and it had issues with AMD CCC before (i.e. back in the day), so there may be no fix available.

Oh well, worth a shot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Well, the other thing is that LOMAC is an older game and it had issues with AMD CCC before (i.e. back in the day), so there may be no fix available.

Oh well, worth a shot.

Yeh, that's what I thought. I know the Flaming Cliffs 2 or 3 add-on updates a lot of graphics and functions but seems costly and no guarantee it will work. Will have to think about that one. Thanks for your guidance Alphastar :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3635QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
@alphastar
Hello, I was wondering if you can help me out in fixing my Switchable Graphics of my HP Pavillion G6-1045sx. My graphics is AMD Radeon HD 6470M. but i cant install the correct driver.

Hardware ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_1669103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_1669103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_0300

Compatible ID:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760 <---- Device ID matches with our database
PCI\VEN_1002&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&CC_0300
PCI\VEN_1002
PCI\CC_030000
PCI\CC_0300

Thank you so much for taking the Time. Looking forward for your response. Have a Good Day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion G6-1045sx
    CPU
    Intel Core i5
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6470M Switchable Graphics
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    BidDefender
Here is same problem with HP Pavilion g6-1360er. After installing official package for graphics - SP59147 from HP, Radeon 7450M video card does not running, Device Manager displays an 43 error on it (because the driver is signed by Intel, not AMD). Only integrated graphics from Intel is working, switchable graphics menu is not present in desktop-context menu... Windows 7 drivers also are not installing in compatibility mode.

Here is the screenshots ID devices ...

Intel.png AMD.png

When installing unofficial drivers Leshcat's Catalyst 13.1 WHQL UnifL V2.1, integrated graphics works as it should be - but there is another problem - system was fail to run some native Metro applications - such as Weather, Finance, etc. (loading progress shows only), are likely to lack of digital signatures from video drivers. Installing certificate from leschatlabs.net does not solve the problem.

What else can I try to do, except for installation of unofficial drivers??
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g6-1360er
    CPU
    Intel Pentium B960
    Memory
    6GB RAM
@denmmx,

After double-checking the above, I noticed that this HP Pavilion g6-1360er Win8 support page lists 2 drivers:

SP59147 (AMD Catalyst driver, mentioned many times before in this post/thread)
SP59149 (Intel HD Graphics 9.17.10.2857, probably AMD-signed - download here)

Well, this is NEW; apparently HP has made (in this case) a separate AMD-signed, Intel HD Graphics driver from the AMD Catalyst? (pay no attention to the date listed, it's not the day the file was made publicly available) for Switchable Graphics users.

BTW, This is what we needed/wanted/requested ALL ALONG...this way, users can download the latest AMD Catalyst driver (i.e., not require an HP-specific version) to get up-to-date gaming performance and Switchable Graphics working at the same time!

In short, you need to install both the SoftPaqs above. If you're adventurous, try the (Intel) SP59149 with the AMD Catalyst Beta 13.3 instead (note that there is now an AMD Catalyst Beta and a Catalyst Mobility Beta for PowerXpress/Enduro - I'd try the latter first, then the former).

Also, Brink always has a link to the latest AMD Catalyst on his EightForum post (stickied) here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
For those advanced users willing to search for a newer AMD-signed (i.e. Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.) Intel HD Graphics driver, here are some other SoftPaq candidates/possibilities:

[DEL]SP61086[/DEL] (Version 9.17.10.2932) - Edit: based on this, NO
[DEL]SP60509[/DEL] (Version 9.17.10.2932 "RevA") - Edit: based on this, PROBABLY NOT
[DEL]SP59658[/DEL] (Version 9.17.10.2857) - Edit: based on this, PROBABLY NOT

Unfortunately, I'm on a bandwidth diet (starved actually, 256kb up/down) right now...so I cannot even verify that SP59149 is AMD-signed, (it likely is though, because the Pavilion g6-1360er is AMD Switchable Graphics -enabled) so anyone willing to check/test, feel free.

If anyone finds one that is AMD-signed (maybe SP59149 or newer), holla. The latest non-AMD-signed (i.e. NOT compatible with Switchable Graphics) Intel HD Graphics driver for Win8 is 9.17.10.3062, as listed in this post/thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
@alphastar

thanks a lot for your answer, but my problem still not resolved... I'm downloaded SP59147, SP59149 from HP support page, installed AMD driver first, then Intel HD driver. Intel driver is signed Intel-only, so AMD card and switchable graphics not working - shown on screenshot:

Снимок экрана (2).png

I observed that Intel Media Components, included in SP59147 doesn't contains ID of my Intel card - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0106&SUBSYS_1670103C in the \swsetup\SP59147\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF\C8146815.inf. My ID not listed in this file. In a similar driver for Windows 7 (SP55025) this ID is present, so it's installing and working perfect for Win7.
I also tried to edit this inf-file by inserting string with my Intel-card ID, but then Intel-driver installs only with Digital Signature Enforcement option disabled / "test"- mode (because modified inf-driver does not pass the digital signature check).

Bundle of Intel HD (SP59149) + latest AMD Catalys Beta driver 13.3 also not working, again due to the lack of digital signature of AMD in Intel HD driver.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g6-1360er
    CPU
    Intel Pentium B960
    Memory
    6GB RAM
DEL

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g6-1360er
    CPU
    Intel Pentium B960
    Memory
    6GB RAM
Hello everyone,

I recently found this post and it sounds promising to an issue that I am currently facing on my Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition. I have noticed that much of the posts are referring to HP computers however I am curious do these fixes work with my notebook? I have the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 as well as AMD Radeon HD 7730M however, in device manager, my Radeon has the following error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Another issue i have noticed in my attempts to access my Radeon graphics card, is with Catalyst Control Center. Everytime i attempt to open the program i get an error message saying: "There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center"

Finally, I am also unsure of whether i should be downloading my graphic card drivers from ATI's website, or Dell's.. as my computer came preloaded and has remained that way.

Any insight would be extremely helpful! Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Both ati/amd switchable graphics

Hello everyone.
I tried to fing some info about both ati/amd cards. (There are 4200 and 6470m cards in my Samsung laptop.) But all info about switchable graphics i found is about intel+ati combination. I heard HP released driver for ati/amd. Is it possible to run this driver on Samsung laptop? Is there any solution for this issue?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Hi! I need an advice. I own a hp laptop, dv6 3122sl with switchable graphic card ati radeon hd 5470 and intel graphics hd (1st Gen), recently I've decided to upgrade to windows 8. The video drivers provided by hp work but they're dated 2010, and the screen flickers of shutdown, so I was wondering if it's possible to update them, in some way. Can you help me please?

Edit: Intel Hardware ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_144A103C&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_144A103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i5 430m
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati radeon hd 5470 - intel hd graphics 3000
I have a Dell Inspiron 14z with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7570M. Even if I go to Switchable Graphics in Catalyst Control Center and set things to High Performance, AMD System Moniter is telling me that my AMD card is not being used at all, even if I try to run graphically intensee programs. However, I can still play games like Planetside 2 and Skyrim at Medium settings (I have an i7 processor). What can I do to get my laptop to use the AMD card?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3667U
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7570M
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
Hello everyone,

I recently found this post and it sounds promising to an issue that I am currently facing on my Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition. I have noticed that much of the posts are referring to HP computers however I am curious do these fixes work with my notebook? I have the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 as well as AMD Radeon HD 7730M however, in device manager, my Radeon has the following error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Another issue i have noticed in my attempts to access my Radeon graphics card, is with Catalyst Control Center. Everytime i attempt to open the program i get an error message saying: "There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center"

Finally, I am also unsure of whether i should be downloading my graphic card drivers from ATI's website, or Dell's.. as my computer came preloaded and has remained that way.

Any insight would be extremely helpful! Thanks

I to am in a similar dilemma. I read a lot of this thread, specifically alphastar's posts about the different ways to get the drivers working. I am running a Samsung Series 3 laptop with Windows 8, integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics, and a Radeon HD 7730M card. I tried just about everything I could from the options given in the initial post. Since, like Trav, I don't have an HP, I can't get those drivers for my laptop.

I tried using the Leshcat drivers, but that took me full circle to the normal AMD Catalyst drivers. When I removed all the drivers and installed the 13.5 Beta drivers, the Device Manager said that both GPU's were functioning properly instead of their normal code 43 or 40. But when I rebooted again, the Radeon reverted back to its normal non functioning capacity. I am not really interested in configuring the switchable graphics, more so in just getting my darn Radeon to work. I've tried to switch it to Fixed mode in the BIOS, but the laptop boots so fast that I can't get the chance to get into BIOS.

So far, all of these solutions seem to be for Windows 7 users or HP users. A combined Samsung/Windows 8 setup seems to leave me without drivers for the moment. I've been working on this for days and can't seem to come up with anything. Any help would be hot.

EDIT: NOTE TO SAMSUNG USERS

This is a bit weird, but the situation is as follows. Samsung does in fact provide the drivers you need for a Windows 8/Radeon/Intel graphics setup. They don't provide them on the actual site. Instead you have to download SW Update from the Samsung website, and install the graphics driver from there. So these are the steps in order.

1. Remove all the drivers for both the Intel graphics and the Radeon card, then reboot.
2. Go to the Samsung website here
3. There is a list of four items. Click the link under item 3. This will prompt a .ZIP file to download.
4. Extract the .exe and run it.
5. After SW Update installs, you can manually install the graphics update, as well as other things.

I don't know why Samsung does it like this, but this is what worked for me. I am now able to access the Configure Switchable Graphics tab when I right click the desktop. Hope this helps anyone who has Samsung.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 3 NP350V5C-T01US
    CPU
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM
    Memory