Win 8.1 start up problem

mdb

Hello,
I am facing this problem which I am seeking your help.
I have a HP g72 laptop, I recently added a new HDD and installed windows 8 Pro on it, after a week I received a notice that I can now upgrade to 8.1. After it was upgraded I could only enter the main area of windows for a couple of times but it self rebooted. I can manage to get into the repair condition but any thing I do it doesn't help, and now the laptop can only reboot and enter the repair condition and not the main page as it should.

I have previously reinstalled windows 8 (removed 8.1) to see if there are any hardware issues such as ram test, that causes this but there wasn't any, and the laptop actually worked well under version 8, it seems that version 8.1 is causing this problem. The drivers are all update according to HP even the bios.

Do you have an idea why this is happeing and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP g72
    CPU
    intel i3
From my (maybe not very extensive) experience, update from Windows 8 to 8.1 using the installer from MS Store does not always go smoothly. Sometimes after the update may occur the problems with not fully compatible programs, drivers or old settings, like faults in the Task Scheduler. I suggest to perform a clean install of Windows 8.1 instead, where only user data remain from previous installation. Of course, you will lose all installed programs, but they can be added after. And the activated software, like MS Office, will not be lost too because hardware is the same. But in your case, it would be better to perform a test installation first. Sure, you can also try to use the update option to keep all software and data, but it will be more risky.

Make a full system backup of Windows 8 on an external USB HDD using your preferred backup program; if you don't have such, I suggest Macrium Reflect (free version is enough). This will allow to return to intact previous OS whenever you want.
Then download the Windows 8.1 ISO with your language, mount it as virtual drive and select the installation with keeping only the user data (use the generic key if your key from 8.0 will not be accepted by installer, you can enter it later). After that, install all important Windows updates (optional ones may wait a bit) and test the OS stability. If you will not see much problems, install all needed drivers (download last ones from manufacturer website), programs, and copy other important files from the saved disk image (Macrium Reflect allows to mount the backup image as a virtual drive).

However, if the installation of fresh Windows 8.1 will be unstable and installing the specific drivers will not help, better to stay with previous OS. Simply restore it from the backup using the bootable USB drive created by backup program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Thanks for the reply. I think so too that the update files are causing the problem, because this is my second attempt installing 8.1, the first time I downloaded it from Microsoft site, but for the second time I waited until I received a notice. The drivers are up to date according to manfactre site and all functioning well. However I can enter in safe mode and it does work well but have no access to updated files through control panel.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP g72
    CPU
    intel i3
Is it possible to reject updating to 8.1 and just keep the 8 version and receive its update?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP g72
    CPU
    intel i3
Technically, nobody can force you to upgrade from 8 to 8.1. But the drawback is that the official support of 8 ended in 2016.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Well I was actually forced because the notification gave me 4 choices, wait 1, 2, 4 hours, or later. I chose later, then next day there was only 3 choices, and after 4 hours it was updated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP g72
    CPU
    intel i3
It was possible if you have set to install Windows updates automatically. It would be better to set "Check for updates but let me choose..." and uncheck "Give me recommended updates...". With these settings, you will be notified as soon as updates arrive, but the decision whether to install or not any particular update will be yours. I almost always install all important updates, but check the descriptions of optional updates on MS website and then decide.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Yes I had set the updates to notify me I always do that, but update to 8.1 was sent separately it gave a pop up notification

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP g72
    CPU
    intel i3
Back