Solved Win 8.1 Slow Boot and Startup

I've bought a solid state drive about 2 weeks ago and have no problem in boot or system speed.
But maybe you are right, because I didn't have any problem with windows7 without SSD.
Maybe all is about win8.1 read/write process that causes slow down the system.
Anyway, I've installed many software and some of them are heavy, like: Siemens TIA Portal v12 + WinCC, Matlab, Proteus, ...
and all of them takes 5 seconds to load (maximum).
Start-up and shutdown time decrease to less than 15 seconds. (Also I have many programs on start-up time!)
And the most interesting is hibernate time. It takes less than 1 second! Even when many programs are running!
I love technology!!!
Cheers!
That is INCREDIBLY fast, padfoot! Is this on Windows 7 that you are able to achieve such fast speeds?

Myself having gone from Windows XP to 8 and finally, 8.1, I find the boot up speed to be fast enough on my Laptop, with the total time from Power On to User Screen to Desktop at just less than a minute. When I had Microsoft's Start 8 function, my total boot time was at least two minutes, and sometimes longer than that!

CHEERS!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I've bought a solid state drive about 2 weeks ago and have no problem in boot or system speed.
But maybe you are right, because I didn't have any problem with windows7 without SSD.
Maybe all is about win8.1 read/write process that causes slow down the system.
Anyway, I've installed many software and some of them are heavy, like: Siemens TIA Portal v12 + WinCC, Matlab, Proteus, ...
and all of them takes 5 seconds to load (maximum).
Start-up and shutdown time decrease to less than 15 seconds. (Also I have many programs on start-up time!)
And the most interesting is hibernate time. It takes less than 1 second! Even when many programs are running!
I love technology!!!
Cheers!
That is INCREDIBLY fast, padfoot! Is this on Windows 7 that you are able to achieve such fast speeds?

Myself having gone from Windows XP to 8 and finally, 8.1, I find the boot up speed to be fast enough on my Laptop, with the total time from Power On to User Screen to Desktop at just less than a minute. When I had Microsoft's Start 8 function, my total boot time was at least two minutes, and sometimes longer than that!

CHEERS!

No, as I mentioned, my current windows is 8.1.
When I said startup time, I mean the time when OS begins it's process. (With a blue windows logo) not boot time (power on the computer).
And yes, it's really fast and I like it! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Motherboard
    Asus P4-Z77v-LK
    Memory
    Apeacer 2x4GB/1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board (2GB RAM)
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    AData SX910 SSD (128GB),
    Western Digital (2TB),
    Western Digital (1TB),
    Western Digital (320GB),
    Western Digital (1TB, Ext.),
    Samsung (1TB, Ext.)
    PSU
    Green 580W
    Keyboard
    A4Tech
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    McAfee VirusScan+AntiSpyware Enterprise v8.8
Thus, I have now uninstalled Microsoft's Start 8 from my machine, which did solve my slow boot issue!
Hi, may i know how do you uninstall Microsoft's Start 8 ? Where can I find it?

Hi Dorley!

Just follow this path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features. The Microsoft 8 program should show up in the Programs and Features list. Highlight that, Right Click it, and click again to uninstall.

Hope this helps!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi, I use IOBit Start Menu 8, I don't know if that causes the same problem as the MS version. Maybe I will remove it and see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy 15
    CPU
    AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    Motherboard
    198A KBC Version 03.14
    Memory
    8GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (poor eyesight!)
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Firefox 40.0.2
    Antivirus
    Webroot Secure Anywhere
Try removing the battery and unplugging the power cord and then press the power on button a couple of times. I know this sounds odd but I had a similar situation where I was having reallly slow boot times and this fixed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    toshiba
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    6Gb
    Browser
    Firefox, Comodo
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hi,
I had a similar problem last 2 weeks, it took more than 2 Minutes until Windows Log On Screen appears also with a Black screen.
Before people think there is a HDD / Memory problem, that is not the problem. My Laptop is 2 Years Old and a Hardware failure is not real a issue.
After several days of uninstall and reinstall Drivers, CHKDSK, Clean Boot, Malware Bytes, and so on, it did not help and I was also thinking there was a HDD/Memory Sitck problem.
That was a myterious problem, somehow it is gone, windows takes now 19seconds to Boot from pressing power button until Desktop is loaded.
I can not explain the source of the problem, but I was tampering around with HDD system drivers (WARNING: Do NOT do that, System will not BOOT anylonger with a BSOD, you will have do Restore from Image) then at a time there was a Windows Error with a Memory Dump Screen and problem went away.
I do not know if it is related or not, but I did also uninstall all Windows Updates until August 2015.
In February/ March 2016 I had also problems with a lot of BSOD. At that time I found out that uninstall Updates back to Dezember 2015 was helping. It worked normally since then until now, where I could not work anylonger with PC , not BSOD this time but everything very slow , at a time it was even taking over 5 Minutes to load.

EDIT: SCF /Scannow and DISM /online /Restorehealth did not help.
Superfetch disable did not help. Also in Registry, changing settings for Superfecth did not help.
Windows Defender disable did not help.
Since 2 years I have no other Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware installed.
Windows Memory Test and Seagate HDD Tools did not find any error.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
Back