Will you upgrade? That is the question...

Opinions

:ditto:

Seems preposterous to me when the new UI does the same as the previous UI.

That's your opinion.

Some people think otherwise.

The only reason to use W8 configured to W7 format would be to gain the performance improvments in W8 general OS, which in reality is the basic W7 OS with iPhone/tablet appendages. But is it worth the hassels?

There are a few other improvements.

Hopefully a SP2 will come out for W7 that includes these improvements, then no contest.

Agreed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
The only reason to use W8 configured to W7 format would be to gain the performance improvments in W8 general OS, which in reality is the basic W7 OS with iPhone/tablet appendages. But is it worth the hassels?

There are a few other improvements.

Ribbons, whatever. Other small things. Nothing major. The point still stands.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
The only reason to use W8 configured to W7 format would be to gain the performance improvments in W8 general OS, which in reality is the basic W7 OS with iPhone/tablet appendages. But is it worth the hassels? Hopefully a SP2 will come out for W7 that includes these improvements, then no contest.

Unfortunately, I doubt it.

They want to sell you the new o/s.

Why would they add any real improvements to the o/s you already have?

Not that it would make much difference - a lot will be staying with win7 anyway to avoid the metro annoyances.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
For $40 bucks I can't see 'not' getting it. Even if it's just to have laying around somewhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender Total Security 2015
Yep, that is why they announced a fire sale even before it is released.

Not complaining - I will get one at that price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yep, that is why they announced a fire sale even before it is released.

Not complaining - I will get one at that price.
:ditto: Me too. But not as main OS. More to keep up to speed.

What really grates is having to pay $5 to get Stardock's Start8 when M$ could so easily do it for free.

But then, as you say, if legacy start orb, menu and Metro bypass was provided, it would defeat M$'s promotional purpose of forcing Metro/tablet/touchphone on us.

They seem to have taken the attitude that the general public will roll over and think: "Oh well, that's the way it is, so better accept it and get used to it!" Lets hope not! :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Depends on your definition of major

Ribbons, whatever. Other small things. Nothing major. The point still stands.

That's weird, I thought I included another quote in that post. :confused:

Improvements:
  • Operating speed (mentioned previously)
  • Reduced resource requirements
  • File History
Might be handy for some people:
  • Built-in AV
  • Secure boot
  • Hyper-V
  • Storage Spaces
  • MS account integration
  • Copy/Move operations can be paused
  • Improved multi-monitor support (there seem to be a few complaints about it though)
Meh:
  • New Login methods
  • New Task Manager
  • IE10
  • Faster boot
Downgrade:
  • File Explorer
  • Ribbon
  • Metro
I don't actually need any of the improvements (I definitely don't need the downgrades).

W8 doesn't really offer anything for me, so I effectively agree with Mustang and you. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I will only buy it to have it (I have all operating systems) but as for using it, it's unlikely. Other then to play around with it until I get tired of it (about a week), then I'll go back and stick with Win7....

I think Win8 is going to be about as much of a success as Windows ME and Vista..... It's another mistake being made by MicroSoft...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I run it as primary for home and work and it's an out of the box setup for both, if I had to add Start8 or other stuff to make it like W7 then I would just run W7.

I can't figure most of you guys out, you complain about W8 and how there's no real improvement over 7, metro sucks, no options for start menu, have to use addons, etc. Yet you're going to spend $40 for the hell of it just to have. You're discontent with Microsoft's approach with this release and to show them that you're disatisfied you're going to just buy it? Yea, that'll show them!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'll get it and will get it for many family and friends who are still sitting on XP. I also don't get the hate for metro, I don't care for it but seems I can pretty much ignore it after 1 click. I also haven't noticed where the desktop has been crippled or I can't do something in I use to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I can't figure most of you guys out, you complain about W8 and how there's no real improvement over 7, metro sucks, no options for start menu, have to use addons, etc. Yet you're going to spend $40 for the hell of it just to have. You're discontent with Microsoft's approach with this release and to show them that you're disatisfied you're going to just buy it? Yea, that'll show them!!
I could say for those that understand, no explanation is necessary. And for those that don't, no explanation will suffice. So what's the point of discussing it?

However, in an effort to shed some light, I can understand you liking it, and I say good for you, go for it. But you can't understand us, because you can't think laterally outside the box, to see our point of view.

The public response in the market place will speak for us in protesting to M$. And big as that protest has already been, the ground swell has only just started.

Why do we buy it?

The primary reason is probably because we're addicted to having the latest Windows and can't say no. We were all drooling and eagerly awaitng the next big advance on the massive success of W7; only to be hit in the face with a lemon! Oh dear! :cry:

Secondly, we're probably all a bit geekish or wouldn't be on this forum. So at that price, it's a cheap new toy to play around with. And who knows what SP1 will bring? If we get the desired amendments, we've got a cheap OS.

Finally, many people prefer a Mercedes or Beamer, but can only afford a Ford. So they buy one, even though they don't like it, because there is nothing else in the low end of the market.

If there had always been another low end OS provider competing with M$, there's no way they would have tried to pull the stunt they have with W8. Consumers would have been leaving M$ in droves. And probably are anyway.

Meaning, M$ held back SP2 for W7, which would have included the improvements in W8. Instead, they've basically offered a SP2 version of W7, with iPhone/Tablet appendages, as a platform to promote their push into the smartfone/tablet/hybrid market. W8 is purely a promotional; otherwise how do you explain the fire sale price?

M$ are saying: Sure we'll give you the SP2 improvments for W7, but only if you buy it in our promotional W8 software. What a bunch of cheapskates! Is that any way to treat your past supporters!

So why hasn't there been a SP2 for W7 to include those improvements? Answer: Because nobody would have looked at W8 except on tablets and smartfones ... and MAYBE, & it's a BIG MAYBE, hybrid laptops/touch. The jury is still out on that last one.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Not a chance, sadly. The bland look and feel, the Windows 7 flaws that have not been addressed (Eg slow network initialization, explorer bugs and more), "Metro", running apps full screen and lack of start menu are enough to turn me away.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Home Made
    CPU
    Intel I7-3770K running @ OC 4.6ghz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Extreme6 Z77
    Memory
    32GB G-Skill CL10Q @ 2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX670 SC 4gb
    Sound Card
    Creative XFI Fataility Platinum
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27" x 2 E2742-BV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (OS) SATA 3
    1TB WD1000EARX SATA 3 Data
    WD15EADS 1.5TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX650 Silver Professional Series
    Case
    HAF 932 ADV
    Cooling
    Corair H100 liquid cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110 Gamer keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Mamba
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 2+ 20.0mbps
    Other Info
    Gigabit infrastructure; Cabling, switches; DSL2750B Modem/Router All PCs connect to Windows 2008 R2 server for website, coldfusion, SQL, Firebird and media sharing & WSUS
a 60% maybe, 40% no.., as of this time., i have tried the pre-released version and i am not impressed sorry to say.. for me win7 still is and will have a greater number of users..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (default) & Win8Enterprise 64
    CPU
    intel i3 2ndgen 3.1ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI MS7788
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT430
I run it as primary for home and work and it's an out of the box setup for both, if I had to add Start8 or other stuff to make it like W7 then I would just run W7.

Actually I'll buy it on DVD... I do have it on my Windows phone, and I do like it... As for desktop use, I don't like it. I don't mind metro and I don't mind using addons. I simply don't like it for a desktop operating system. Many of the people in my office don't like it other then for their Windows phones and many of us didn't like Vista because we knew it was a failure (our opinion).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Goes to show people don't like change or doing the same thing as before a little differently.
It's not about disliking change and doing things differently. It's about not liking changes and doing things differently that that go backwards.

But then again the reasons why it's not liked have all been repeatedly documented before on this forum. As well as in many other blogs, forums, reviews, etc. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Well I guess backwards is a matter of opinion also ;)
Exactly! But then, maybe I'm dyslexic and mis-reading all the negative opinions on blogs, articles, reviews, posts on other forums .... ad nauseum.

The ultimate umpire of course will be the public consumers. So probably not much point in further discussion. Lets just wait and see.

Even so, remember that my earlier post #252 in this thread was in response to RobR to explain to him the reason why we'd ever buy W8, when we've criticized it so much.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
all I can say is, people were very anti-vista, then it hit the market and it blew up due to MS low specs and OEM's not r and d'ing and providing a real system to run it on, but after a while, a lot of people did like it, then 7 and people are all about 7, it's the greatest thing since XP SP2.

Once people get a taste of what can be done with a Win8 Tablet (especially Win8 Pro) and considering the price equal to an Ipad?

Yeah, we will see who gets what for Christmas this year.

And I predict Win8 will smoke Ipad's,,,, as long as people are properly informed, which they are not being informed properly, with all the negative stuff out there.

People need to not pay attention to that stuff and seriously check it out for themselves.
after full release and the products are on the shelves.

To be able to do what a Win8 Pro Tablet will do, is nothing to shake a stick at, it really will be a huge step forward and force Ipad and Android to change thier OS models. Trust on that.

One thing I do not want in a tablet and why i won't buy an ipad at the price or an android, is simply, don't want app driven garbage that you can't do all that much with.

If windows goes this route and removes Desktop completely and the ability to run full apps, and goes this way of strictly app driven garbage, they will lose a whole lot of people to Linux and that will explode into the mainstream. That you can also trust on.

I seriously doubt MS will do that though, they will always offer an Enterpise/Pro level OS for business and people like us. But they will also offer the RT for the app driven garbage for the other people :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77