Will you upgrade? That is the question...

SSD Finale

Off topic

Only a 30-day free trial. The built-in Defragger in Windows is actually a form of 'Diskeeper Lite' (very Lite!) for want of a better description. There are other free defraggers out there though and there is a Diskeeper Lite version for download: Download Diskeeper Lite free .
Never tried it though so not too sure of its features.
This is the final thing Corsair had to say on SSD optimization:

TRIM is built into Windows 7. So as long as you did a clean install with it, it is automatically on. Also you do not need extra programs. Our controller also has built in garbage collection and works very well with TRiM to avoid degradation from file deletion. While 3rd party programs may assist in SSD performance, more recent SSDs like yours no longer need assistance to run well compared to first generation SSDs, which did not have garbage collection in the controller.

As long as you do not RAID, your SSD will use TRIM. The RST drivers are there when you do raid, and at this time, Intel does not officially support TRIM when RAID is used for SSDs.
My SSD is a Corsair SATA3 120GB Force model.

Given the longevity of later generation SSDs, the number of write/re-writes is not an issue. Couple this with the self-optimizing of garbage collection in collaboration with Windows TRIM, and there appears to be no need of 3rd party optimizers.

However, to cover all bases, I will still run Diskcleaner free trial in a few months time, and see what their analyzer has to say about the state of the SSDs.

Thanks for your help on this issue. Cheers M :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Well, I just installed my first SSD! Not on my system, but for a friend's little netbook since the hard drive epically died. All I have to say is, WOW. :shock: Definitely goes to show that hard drives are literally reverse bottle necks for our modern systems. A little 1.67GHz Intel Atom processor can boot up Windows 8 faster than my hard drive based system with a dual core AMD Athlon at 3.8GHz. It's wicked!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
SSDs are an impressive performance upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Well, I just installed my first SSD! Not on my system, but for a friend's little netbook since the hard drive epically died. All I have to say is, WOW. :shock:

Made a decision to upgrade my Samsung X460 laptop with a SSD. It was max'd out on ram so the decision was to eBay it and buy a new one or fit a SSD which I have in my desktop. Took the SSD route and saved several hundreds of $$$. Don't think I would have got the superior performance with a new laptop that I've experienced with the Samsung + SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
Tentatively voting "Maybe"; first instinct was to vote "No".

First, I wanted to like the Start Screen. It's not a terrible idea. It has two problems that I can see. First, it opens by default as if the user will want to start there. This is incorrect; at least I see it as counterintuitive. Second, the apps we use every day are second or perhaps third class citizens to the Metro apps and tiles, most of which I don't need. The music app would be okay if it used album covers from my actual collection. Seeing Carly Rae Jepsen, Skrillex, and Black Eyed Peas insults me, frankly. How about highlighting the music I actually listen to? Plus, it's fullscreen and there's no way I can control it while doing anything else. The video and photo apps are just as bad. IE 10 Metro is well done enough, but everything being forced fullscreen is wrong. Might as well adapt Android or iOS to work on the desktop. I feel that smartphone-style apps can enhance a desktop OS, but they should not take it over. Second was something my wife said to me. That had I not informed her that she could hit the Start key and start typing, she never would have found the Calculator. That is a massive fail right there. My wife's no dummy, but neither is she an expert. Her opinion on Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac OS X can be summed up by "As long as Firefox works the same". And for the record, it didn't in Windows 8. I installed it, and it wasn't added to the Start screen on her side. I've installed a bunch of stuff on my side that does not show up in her account. I can add it, but should I have to?

I think the retail version of Windows 8 will fix some of these minor issues. If it doesn't, it's destined to fail -- even if it gets its act together in SP1 like Vista did, well, look at how Vista is still stigmatized and Vista is actually good now. It's still in the same boat as Windows ME, which has never been good.

I want to like Windows 8, but two things need to happen. First, give us an option when we make our account to start on the desktop or the Start Screen. Second, all programs go on the Start Screen by default. It's certainly big enough. Let us resize their tiles, set up notifications in them (or not), and even group them, kind of like a home screen. And add controls to the tiles. The music tile should at the very least let me pause without having to go into the Music app. And the music tile should control whatever media player is playing, and display its current track with artist/band name and album art. Windows 8 can be really good, but I'm not sure Microsoft sees it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP
    Custom PC I built myself
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X2 555
    Motherboard
    ASUS ...I forget the model number
    Memory
    4GB, DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS EAH-6850, 1GB, AMD Radeon
    Sound Card
    On-board.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 23" LCD wide panel
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SATA 750GB (System)
    SATA 2TB (Data)
    PSU
    SeaSonic 600W
    Case
    Antec 902
    Cooling
    Fans, incl. 20cm fan, 2x12cm, 8cm
    Keyboard
    Some emachines one, despite crappy brand name it works alright
    Mouse
    Some Dell mouse
    Internet Speed
    1.5MBit DSL (fastest available to me!)
    Other Info
    CD/DVD burner, memory card reader, crappy about-to-die speakers... oh and also hooked up to my TV as well for the HTPC thing.
Off Topic:

Well, I just installed my first SSD! Not on my system, but for a friend's little netbook since the hard drive epically died. All I have to say is, WOW. :shock: Definitely goes to show that hard drives are literally reverse bottle necks for our modern systems. A little 1.67GHz Intel Atom processor can boot up Windows 8 faster than my hard drive based system with a dual core AMD Athlon at 3.8GHz. It's wicked!
Like yourself, when I first installed my SSD, all I could say was Wow! I had read some bad reports about earlier generation, and was hesitant to pay the high price back then. But with prices dropping to about a third of the original cost, and the problems of wear and optimization resolved, I'd never go back now. I use an external USB drive for storage, even though I doubt I'd ever fill 120GB. :)

As discussed in earlier post, decided to buy Condusiv Diskeeper specifically for optimizing SSD, and at $29 consider it money well spent. It does have extra features such as Intelli Write which prevents 'fragmentation' before it occurs. And various others.

Ontopic:

Re upgrading, I'm still not sure. I will buy the upgrade disc, but whether I'll use it as my primary OS is debatable. It definitely does seem crisper than Win7, but at the same time overall seems clumsier to use.

When Vista came out it was a whole new architecture over XP, and still had a lot of advantages, like superior disk manager, etc, despite the early set backs. Then when Win7 came out it topped Vista and XP in all departments. Aside from Metro, which is good for certain functions, Win8 doesn't have seem to have that quantum leap over Win7.

To be honest, I just put an SSD in my old Vista machine, and there doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot of difference anymore in performance between it and Win7. However, it still lacks a lot of Win7 features and would only ever be backup OS.

I've got Classic Shell with direct boot to GUI enabled, so that gets me back to my preferences for boot up. Also have found most of the things that are in Win7, but in different places. But having done all that, it doesn't really seem a lot better than Win7. With the upgrade costing only $39 it's worth getting, but I prefer a full retail version and am not sure I'd spend the big money on it? Hmmmmm? :confused: Even so I'll keep working away at it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Ok, as now the FINAL RTM code is released for trial use and such, will you upgrade? That is the question.

For me, still a resounding YES!!!

I have white windows with a red taskbar and red Start Screen and everything seems to be working solid. Need to do a HUGELY THOROUGH defragging and consolidating, but overall everything is slick.

I personally wanted metro iconography and design in Explorer and Control Panel, as to unite the WHOLE OS as one design. I'll settle for the dated Aero iconography, but oh well...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there
Was EXTREMELY SCEPTICAL at first but I'm coming round rather like (any Biblical scholars = "Conversion on the Road to Damasacus" sort of equivalent)

It actually DOES require to to organise your work in a totally different way but once you do it it's far more logical and intuitive.

For example there's no reason whatsoever to access applications via the the actual application menu for example there's no reason to keep EXCEL in the MS Office group if you run excel quite frequently in conjunction with another application. The start menu usually gives you OFFICE ===>EXCEL
===>WORD
etc.

This might not actually be the best way of working -- Organise the metro tiles via FAVOURITES or most used.

I'm often using Notepad - not often enough to pin it to the taskbar but enough to group it into "Favourites" / "Most used" with other apps I use a lot such as EXCEL etc. You don't want to pin too much to the taskbar either or that becomes a bit too cluttered as well.

For example I've done this (won't be my final iteration but by a bit of trial and error you can organise it how you work) screenshot enc.

For example I use Notepad quite a lot as well as EXCEL -- so why shouldn't I have these together in the same group (which I've done) and rarely use PUBLISHER so I haven't even pinned it to the start menu.

Now we DO need to be able to customize the tiles themselves and the start screen background -- for example different Groups of tiles could have a different Background colour and the TEXT name group needs to have Bolder and possibly a different colour font.

(Guys at Deviant Art --there's a job for you).

You also need to be TOTALLY RUTHLESS with removing all surplus tiles that are created after a classic application standard install and remember you can pin folders to the start menu if you like.

I have also removed all the "supplied" metro apps -- I don't need Travel / Weather etc apps on a COMPUTER -- fine for a tablet or mobile phone which is where these belong.

Some users will find this change rather strange but you might find you actually LIKE it provided you get away from thinking you need to retain all your programs in APPLICATION order rather than frequency of use order.

Also organising tiles and removing excess stuff from a classical install will be a bit of work for most users -- not exactly an OOBE job.

Tools to do this easily should be made available and doubtless will once the "Real Users" start getting there hands on W8.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• tiles.png
    tiles.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Tentatively voting "Maybe"; first instinct was to vote "No". ...

I think you are spot on on all accounts...

Using the start screen is sort of like placing all your program icons on your desktop, then using Aero Peek to get to them. In fact, as ugly as that is it would actually be preferable in some ways to the metro start in flexibility.

BTW the RTM is exactly the same but the desktop is maybe even a little bit worse as it's been fully uglified (Grey window borders all over the place is horrendously ugly) Man I never wanted to see Windows 2000 grey on my desktop ever again :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
As of now, yes I will upgrade. All my hardware works but still need to install a lot more software to be sure they work OK. Now that the RTM is out we should see more and more drivers and software become more compatible with Win 8. Still playing with the Start Screen but its getting there.

Screenshot (1).png

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Any Biblical scholars = "Conversion on the Road to Damasacus" sort of equivalent.

Cheers
jimbo
Hey Jimbo, just a thought, but remember Paul was "blind" for three days after the Dam road experience! Then he awoke from the dream and came to his senses! LOL!

Cheers M :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Any Biblical scholars = "Conversion on the Road to Damasacus" sort of equivalent.

Cheers
jimbo
Hey Jimbo, just a thought, but remember Paul was "blind" for three days after the Dam road experience! Then he awoke from the dream and came to his senses! LOL!

So would you be applying that quote to Microsoft itself? Or the users? :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I think I read that for a limited time anyone can upgradefrom Windows 7 to 8 for $39.99. It might have been on this forum that I readit, but I'm not sure. Is that correct?If so, I'll probably upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
You can upgrade from XP, Vista or 7 to 8 for $39.99 until the end of Jan 2013.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Cheers
jimbo

So would you be applying that quote to Microsoft itself? Or the users? :)
Meant in the sense of 'blind' by upgrading ... and awoke to see the light not to use it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I've been back watching the poll here lately since we are now into RTM releases. I'm a numbers guy. I've noticed in the count as of 8/23/12:

Total votes: 89 members

Yes: 43.82% -> 39 members
Maybe: 21.35% -> 19 members <- ????
No: 34.83% -> 31 members

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
At first I said, "No". Then I said,"Maybe". Now I'm saying, "Yes." It's not because I thinkthat Windows 8 is so great. Actually, as of now I prefer 7. But, what the heck,doing the same old thing with your computer sometimes gets boring. At my ageit's good to exercise your brain as it is your body. Actually, at any agethat's a good idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
I am upgrading to be on the ground floor of this, which ever way it goes I want to see it first had and it really isn't that bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7 x 64 windows 8 x 64
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000
How about an option for "Yes I can't wait" separated from "Yes because I have to but not very thrilled"? A lot of us will HAVE to upgrade simply because we MUST take whatever MS is going to foist on the public. This'll be the VERY FIRST time in the history of windows that I am negatively enthused about an upgrade. If I mark "Yes" on the poll, that will unduly reflect positively on the situation. I know a lot of people in that position...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Back