Will you upgrade? That is the question...

So let me see if I've I'm reading you right. This means you can buy a stand alone installation disc for a full version of Mac OS X and install it on your home built PC?
I once looked into that and no, not unless you have the required Intel hardware. You can't simply take the mac os disk and install it on a PC. You technically can, as those are called hackintoshes that use a modified image of the mac os to make it install on non-apple Kremlin Big Brother approved hardware.
Thank you for that input, most interesting. This is a very wide reaching forum.

One question. How would you know what Intel hardware to buy, or does Intel specify it works for Mac on their web site data?

It's usually the top end, overkill Intel processor, but I believe there are some sites that actually have the requirements of the processor to do that. If you want to play around with the mac os through an easier path, Ubuntu 10 has a similar feel to it. I find the mac os to be bland. I like colors...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Ack.. poor Poppa Bear. Probably had a bit too much of the Fosters before posting (I've don't that, it's never a good thing)

Frankly I'll have to be upgrading, not sure when or how deeply (I have a lot of machines to care for). But really there is no choice.

I would actually be considering jumping to Mac myself after what.. 25? 30? years of Microsoft loyalty. But I can't stomach Apples legal "war" and I too would really miss building my own systems. And though I use Linux daily, it's just SO not even on the radar for anything I do personally. Chrome OS's "everything is the cloud" mantra is completely dead on arrival (for me). So what's left? Hanging my head and saying "Yes Sir" to Microsoft. Something I've never once felt like I had to do before.

Really feel like I'm being dragged around by the nose on this one and that not something I take to at all.

Is it just the Start Screen or the metro apps that cause you pain, just wondering a bit?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I once looked into that and no, not unless you have the required Intel hardware. You can't simply take the mac os disk and install it on a PC. You technically can, as those are called hackintoshes that use a modified image of the mac os to make it install on non-apple Kremlin Big Brother approved hardware.

One question. How would you know what Intel hardware to buy, or does Intel specify it works for Mac on their web site data?
Basically, if you have decent hardware (Intel Core 2 Duo and up), it is relatively easy to install OS X on a PC without using some cracked version of it.
Bob Roche - YouTube this guy does alot of Mac stuff on PC

Doesn't the latest x.2.3.32.5.3.3.1.3.34.1 iteration of mac os require a higher end processor for decent performance? I remember apple ditching Core Duo in deference for the i series, maybe because there's an i in its name. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Basically, if you have decent hardware (Intel Core 2 Duo and up), it is relatively easy to install OS X on a PC without using some cracked version of it.
Bob Roche - YouTube this guy does alot of Mac stuff on PC

Doesn't the latest x.2.3.32.5.3.3.1.3.34.1 iteration of mac os require a higher end processor for decent performance? I remember apple ditching Core Duo in deference for the i series, maybe because there's an i in its name. :)
I've installed 10.6 and 10.7 on Intel Core 2 Duos. In fact, yesterday, I installed OS X on a Core 2 Duo 10.7 with all the updates yesterday. It was a Sony Vaio with 3.0 Gigs of RAM, The Core 2 Duo, and onboard Intel Graphics.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
I hesitate to continue this off-topic subject, but no one seems to care.

PDF file from Diskeeper on SSD defrag.

http://storage.condusiv.com/28117/pdf/Optimizing-Solid-State-Storage-with-HyperFast-Technology.pdf

From what I have read at other sites a normal HDD defrag utility should not be used on a SSD. Diskeeper has developed a special defrag for SSD's called HyperFast while some SSD vendors have developed a similar system they refer to as Garbage Collection. If your SSD has the proper Garbage Collection algorithm them no "defrag" is needed.

Don't defrag an SSD - Optimize it.

Jim :cool:
I've been following the discussion in this thread on defragmenting SSDs and the PDF article you have referred to is very interesting. When I got my first SSD a few months ago I had discussions with the technical support section of the manufacturer Corsair, as to whether I might have damaged it because I had defragged it a couple of times in ignorance. This was Corsair's reply in part:

1. The SSDs we develop will last up to 20 years even if you write more than 20GB of information a day (which is well beyond the normal user). I believe you will replace your system long before you replace the SSD.

2. The defrag does not damage the drive but will put onto the drive a very large number of writes and re-writes so your drive will start to slow down faster than those drives you do not defrag.

3. Windows 7 TRIM is meant to pro-actively delete corrupt or obsolete data on the SSD, and is set to run by default. However, it only works on single disk installations, and even though running in Windows, is not necessarily being implemented on the hard drive. For TRIM to function, the operating system, storage drivers and solid-state drive must all support the TRIM command.

The second part of their statement in point two, implies that SSDs do slow down over time.

The question I really want to ask you is if you have any first hand knowledge of the validity of the tests done by Diskeeper/Hyperfast or is there a better program?

Thank you in anticipation.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
The trouble is that some defragmenters use the term 'Optimize' in lieu of Defragment (Raxco PerfectDisk for one) so one could easily be confused and suffer from the problem mentioned in #2 unless one is diligent.

However Raxco PD does say in the Help section:

Solid State Drives are not affected by file fragmentation like traditional electromechanical disk drives. However, free space consolidation can improve SSD write performance. The SSD Optimize defrag method is a special defrag method for SSD drives that focuses on free space consolidation without defragmentation of files. As such, it will leave files in a fragmented state while consolidating free space into large pieces.

With Diskeeper it appears that it automatically selects the right process rather than you having to select it manually, correct? From the help section:

Also known as SSD, a data storage device that uses solid state memory instead of spinning magnetic platters to store data. Although it is quite different in its physical nature from a hard disk drive, a solid state drive simply appears to users, most applications, and the operating system as another disk drive on the computer. However, due to the physical differences between solid state memory and a spinning magnetic platter, the specialized techniques used by Diskeeper (and HyperFast) to achieve maximum performance from SSD devices differ from those used on typical hard disk drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
The trouble is that some defragmenters use the term 'Optimize' in lieu of Defragment (Raxco PerfectDisk for one) so one could easily be confused and suffer from the problem mentioned in #2 unless one is diligent.

However Raxco PD does say in the Help section:

Solid State Drives are not affected by file fragmentation like traditional electromechanical disk drives. However, free space consolidation can improve SSD write performance. The SSD Optimize defrag method is a special defrag method for SSD drives that focuses on free space consolidation without defragmentation of files. As such, it will leave files in a fragmented state while consolidating free space into large pieces.

With Diskeeper it appears that it automatically selects the right process rather than you having to select it manually, correct? From the help section:

Also known as SSD, a data storage device that uses solid state memory instead of spinning magnetic platters to store data. Although it is quite different in its physical nature from a hard disk drive, a solid state drive simply appears to users, most applications, and the operating system as another disk drive on the computer. However, due to the physical differences between solid state memory and a spinning magnetic platter, the specialized techniques used by Diskeeper (and HyperFast) to achieve maximum performance from SSD devices differ from those used on typical hard disk drives.
Thank you for your reply. The Diskeeper PDF document referred to by Phone Man suggests that the sub-program of Diskeeper called Hyperfast does auto detect and consolidate defragmented free space as opposed to defragmented files.

However, the thing I would really like to know is whether the benchmark results claimed by Diskeeper for Hyperfast have been validated by third party testing? And how big an issue is fragmented free space anyway? Diskeeper's results seeem to indicate it is significant. I've Googled it but can't seem to get any definitive answer.

Have you used Raxco PerfectDisk first hand, and if yes, did it seem to make a noticeable difference?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I don't have an SSD to test it on unfortunately but I do use it. I'm usually a Diskeeper Pro fan but tried PD on my Vista OS and find it OK if not rather slow and often the UI seems to seize up. All things considered I prefer Diskeeper I think. Plus if and when I get an SSD I will obviously choose DK as it auto-selects the right method whereas PD you have to select it.

DK isn't perfect either, mine insists I have Volume Shadow Copy (System Restore) turned on, on my external hard drive, which I do not. But other than that small quirk it performs faster than PD and with no UI issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I don't have an SSD to test it on unfortunately but I do use it. I'm usually a Diskeeper Pro fan but tried PD on my Vista OS and find it OK if not rather slow and often the UI seems to seize up. All things considered I prefer Diskeeper I think. Plus if and when I get an SSD I will obviously choose DK as it auto-selects the right method whereas PD you have to select it.

DK isn't perfect either, mine insists I have Volume Shadow Copy (System Restore) turned on, on my external hard drive, which I do not. But other than that small quirk it performs faster than PD and with no UI issues.
Thank you for that very concise information.

Now for the last question, which relates to my personal economic status, and is probably expecting far too much, but is there a freeware version of Diskeeper? lol! :D

Also, I think your earlier comment is valid and that the correct terminology for SSDs should be something like optimizing or consolidating random free space, so as not to confuse with normal understanding of defrag.

One of the things that always concerns me with third party software, and even Windows TRIM, which proactively delete corrupt or obsolete data is that they sometimes delete stuff that you don't want deleted, or they mistake as obsolete. More so 3rd party than Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Only a 30-day free trial. The built-in Defragger in Windows is actually a form of 'Diskeeper Lite' (very Lite!) for want of a better description. There are other free defraggers out there though and there is a Diskeeper Lite version for download: Download Diskeeper Lite free .
Never tried it though so not too sure of its features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
Only a 30-day free trial. The built-in Defragger in Windows is actually a form of 'Diskeeper Lite' (very Lite!) for want of a better description. There are other free defraggers out there though and there is a Diskeeper Lite version for download: Download Diskeeper Lite free .
Never tried it though so not too sure of its features.
Thank you. Will download and investigate and report back. Cheers Mustang :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
OK, good luck ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
When I got my first SSD a few months ago I had discussions with the technical support section of the manufacturer Corsair, as to whether I might have damaged it because I had defragged it a couple of times in ignorance. This was Corsair's reply in part:

1. The SSDs we develop will last up to 20 years even if you write more than 20GB of information a day (which is well beyond the normal user). I believe you will replace your system long before you replace the SSD.

"Up to?" What do they guarantee? Intel spec'd their very popular X25-M series for a minimum of 5 years at 20 GB/day, and this hasn't changed with their more recent 510 and 520 series. ISTR that the latest batch of SSDs are rated for 3,000 program/erase cycles vs 5,000-10,000 in the drives one generation back. My understanding is that they partially make up for this decreased longevity by using data compression, but all the advantages of data compression go away if you use encryption with programs like Bitlocker or Truecrypt. I'd ask Corsair what their minimum guarantee is for both compressible and uncompressible data, for a drive formatted to full capacity, as well as how much overprovisioning they use, and what technology they're using.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are whitepapers on intel.com where they talk about end-user overprovisioning to increase the longevity, in addition to the overprovisioning that comes from the factory. The one for the X25-M series uses the 160 GB model as an example and gives 29 TB for the expected endurance OOTB, increasing to 68 TB with 16 GB overprovisioning and so on. But Corsair is claiming almost 150 TB for their drives with no overprovisioning, using I presume newer technology that has fewer write/erase cycles than the 34nm X25-M drives? Interesting...

As I wrote earlier, most people will just format to maximum capacity and not overprovision, which means that things like hibernation and hybrid sleep can use up the majority of their writes all by themselves going by the Intel numbers. Though pointless, I would guess defragging is less of a concern WRT lifespan because it's done much less frequently than sleeping, and once defragged, files stay defragged. So it would be expected that an initial defragmentation would move a lot of data around, but subsequent ones would move less.

I always recommend disabling hybrid sleep on SSDs unless you really need it, and if you're on a laptop, you don't thanks to the battery, and on a desktop equipped with a decent UPS like my APC XS-1500 running Powerchute, you don't, because the UPS will wake it from regular sleep to hibernate in the event of a prolonged power outage. This saves me 10s of GBs of completely pointless writes per day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
They are two issues: (i) how long they last and (ii) how quickly their speed (especially their write speed) deteriorates.

Lots of writing an SSD make for a slower SSD more quickly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Depending on the price, I will definitely upgrade. I have both a 64-bit and a 32-bit PC running Windows 7 and Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Mobile Intel NM10 Express
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
They are two issues: (i) how long they last and (ii) how quickly their speed (especially their write speed) deteriorates.

Lots of writing an SSD make for a slower SSD more quickly.
Personally I'm not really worried about wearing out my SSD from excessive write/rewrites, as I wouldn't even come close to 20GB/day.

So the real question for me becomes how to maintain write speed. The PDF from the link provided by Phone Man in post #104, shows the results claimed by Diskeper's HyperFast utility, which is dedicated to targetting and optimizing SSDs by overcoming 'write speed degradation due to free space fragmentation'. If it does what it claims to do, that would satisfy me.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but plan to download the trial version. Corsair in their FAQs do show a way of measuring preformance, and provide a benchmark rate that the SSD should keep up to. This would provide an accurate way of knowing if Hyperfast was actually working.

I don't know if I can be bothered going to that much trouble. More than likely I'll just wait a few months and if it shows signs of significant drop in speed, then I'll run the trial version to see if there is any noticeable improvement.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Personally I'm not really worried about wearing out my SSD from excessive write/rewrites, as I wouldn't even come close to 20GB/day.

You should be worried about it. The write performance will go down by 50% or more very quickly. The 20GB/day figure is pie in the sky best case scenario before the chip outright goes caput.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
A lot of SSD's take care of fragments with their own routines. Interesting article about how Plextor's TrueSpeed routine does it. Click on the April 2012 issue and see pg 54-56. Pg 56 looks like the same thing that diskeeper is doing. When you reach the page just click it and it will zoom and then can be moved around to read it.

ComputerPowerUser.com Digital Edition

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner

You should be worried about it. The write performance will go down by 50% or more very quickly. The 20GB/day figure is pie in the sky best case scenario before the chip outright goes caput.

Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about bud. That was an issue in gen 1 ssd drives a few years ago, not in any modern ssd. There is nothing to worry about in terms of writes, you will wear out first.

No need to take my word for it though, here is a 200 page thread over at xtreme that documents how much writes pretty much all ssd's can do. The sammy 830 is closing in on 3000 GB's write to the drive and still chugging along.

SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Back