Will you upgrade? That is the question...

Well I guess backwards is a matter of opinion also ;)
Exactly! But then, maybe I'm dyslexic and mis-reading all the negative opinions on blogs, articles, reviews, posts on other forums .... ad nauseum.

The ultimate umpire of course will be the public consumers. So probably not much point in further discussion. Lets just wait and see.

Even so, remember that my earlier post #252 in this thread was in response to RobR to explain to him the reason why we'd ever buy W8, when we've criticized it so much.

Yep we will all see soon enough. BTW I'm a blackberry fan so I know all about the negative opinions on blogs, articles, reviews, post from iPhone and Android fans :doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
all I can say is, people were very anti-vista, then it hit the market and it blew up due to MS low specs and OEM's not r and d'ing and providing a real system to run it on, but after a while, a lot of people did like it, then 7 and people are all about 7, it's the greatest thing since XP SP2.

Once people get a taste of what can be done with a Win8 Tablet (especially Win8 Pro) and considering the price equal to an Ipad?

Yeah, we will see who gets what for Christmas this year.

And I predict Win8 will smoke Ipad's,,,, as long as people are properly informed, which they are not being informed properly, with all the negative stuff out there.

People need to not pay attention to that stuff and seriously check it out for themselves.
after full release and the products are on the shelves.

To be able to do what a Win8 Pro Tablet will do, is nothing to shake a stick at, it really will be a huge step forward and force Ipad and Android to change thier OS models. Trust on that.

One thing I do not want in a tablet and why i won't buy an ipad at the price or an android, is simply, don't want app driven garbage that you can't do all that much with.

If windows goes this route and removes Desktop completely and the ability to run full apps, and goes this way of strictly app driven garbage, they will lose a whole lot of people to Linux and that will explode into the mainstream. That you can also trust on.

I seriously doubt MS will do that though, they will always offer an Enterpise/Pro level OS for business and people like us. But they will also offer the RT for the app driven garbage for the other people

I agree if they take the desktop completely away. Can't imagine them doing that but stranger things have happened.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have already upgraded to Windows 8 Professional,

Kinda silly of me but I instantly deleted my old windows 7 SSD so I could save games on it :(

Anyway I have no real problems with the software, its mainly just a few bugs that I am sure will be fixed by general release, such as the sidebars activating in-game (Made me lose a LOL Game before I twigged what it was)

But its working smoothly with no problems so far :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    C-Media 7.1 Surround Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24" & AOC 23.5" 3D & 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    X31 Kraken CPU Coller, 4 * 140mm LED Akasa, One 92mm Fan Akasa
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info
    I'm an old windows 7/Xp User
Yep we will all see soon enough. BTW I'm a blackberry fan so I know all about the negative opinions on blogs, articles, reviews, post from iPhone and Android fans :doh:
Well, as I said before the purpose of my earlier post #252 in this thread was in response to RobR to explain to him the reason why we'd ever buy W8, when we've criticized it so much. All the rest is really hypotheticals.

I'm not interested in touchphones, (have a Sony Experia, which I only use for phone calls/text messages, SAT/NAV), iPad, Tablet, laptops or social internet. I don't even watch the news on TV, let alone on a smartfone. And as for writing word docs, or xcel on a screen the size of two match boxes ... it's insanity. And who would want to read web sites where you have to enlarge the text to such a size to be able to read it, you then have to scroll two or three times to read a sentence. Gimme a break!

I find it a big enough pain in the butt just carrying around my mob phone, stylus and reading glasses in the car, or shopping centre, without lugging around a laptop, tablet or iPad for God's sake.

I'm running a high end Intel 6core/12thread radiator cooled CPU on extreme mobo, 12GB RAM, with SATA3 SSD HD, 3 SLI linked graphics cards, USB3 External HD, eSATA HD in caddy on tower with a couple of burners. That's my hobby. I also belong to a world wide fellowship and repair PCs for members in my area, also as hobby, no charge.

Why would I want a tile menu when one program alone has 40 odd sub-menu iterms. In Metro my programs occupy over 7 screens on a 24 inch widescreen. Orb and alphanumeric menu occupies about 3% of my screen. I have 40 odd icon shortcuts on my desktop which occupy less than 20% of the screen for frequently used programs, the jump menu for less frequently used, and the cascaded alphnumeric menu for infrequently used items. All accessed wihtout leaving the desktop. And the ability to have 5 or 6 windows open simultaneously.

And don't tell me you can do all that on W8 without Stardock or similar. And Stardock does not do everythig legacy start menu does on W7. For examply, Stardock can't drag/drop sub-menu items in the start menu to the main entry; send to desktop as shortcut, re-name items. Add to that one click on user name to access AppData, Documents, Favorites, etc. And the list goes on ... and on ... and on.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Well, I can tell you that my internet phone has come in extremely handy at times when out shopping for things.
Being able to bring up the net and find and compare items, or show a clerk that an item is on sale, or if they have it in stock has saved me time. So, there are many uses for it, however, making it a primary device (like many do with Aircards for work cause they refuse to pay for their own internet) is absurd.

But if you are out and need to look at something or kill some time? yeah, very handy and useful.

With a Tablet, it will be even more so, if you happen to have it with you in the car, which a lot of people will/do/should.

There are far more benefits to a tablet and a phone with internet access than just social media.

And who in their right mind is going to create a complete spread sheet on their phone? No one.
But, if you need to make a last minute change? Or throw a thought together? that is not a useless feature to have when/if needed.
Will everyone need it? No, but it's nice it is there.

I really think people are far more negative than really is warranted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Well, I can tell you that my internet phone has come in extremely handy at times when out shopping for things.
Being able to bring up the net and find and compare items, or show a clerk that an item is on sale, or if they have it in stock has saved me time. So, there are many uses for it, however, making it a primary device (like many do with Aircards for work cause they refuse to pay for their own internet) is absurd.

But if you are out and need to look at something or kill some time? yeah, very handy and useful.

With a Tablet, it will be even more so, if you happen to have it with you in the car, which a lot of people will/do/should.

There are far more benefits to a tablet and a phone with internet access than just social media.

And who in their right mind is going to create a complete spread sheet on their phone? No one.
But, if you need to make a last minute change? Or throw a thought together? that is not a useless feature to have when/if needed.

I certainly agree mobile devices can be very handy at times.

However, I do all my pre-shopping research on the net at home before I set foot out the door. So I've already checked prices, availability, and if necessary cut a deal by phone. When I leave home I'm organized and know where I'm going and what my agenda is. And I won't leave a tablet in my car as a target for thieves to steal by smashing in my car windows. Or as I said before, lug one around a shopping centre.

And if I've got a bit of time to kill, no way do I want to be stuck on an electronic device. I'd rather take a quiet walk by the river or beach, or watch a sunset, smell the roses ... or maybe even do a quiet relaxation exercise akin to a meditation.

Who wants to be connected 24/7? I recently took a long slow country trip just to get away from the phone, PC, email, visitors dropping in, and neighbors. And in remote regions of Aussie there often is no mobile phone network. In fact if you're travelling the outback you need to advise authorities of departure, route and ETA at next destination, for that very reason. Ask the Yankee guy Begucki, who got lost in the North West of Aussie a few years ago, and was saved by a million to one shot when spotted by a news chopper.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but I've never once needed to view, amend or transmit a spreadsheet, word doc, or whatever from a mobile device. As stated earlier, 99% of the time that can be done from a desktop if you're properly organized. And who wants to buy something on the net or Bpay a bill when you can't print a hard copy receipt? It seems to me a lot of the need for a mobile computer comes from laziness in not being organized.

My son has his own business and used to do everything on his $3000 Sony Vaio laptop. I built him a $1,000 tower with 24 inch widescreen montior and he now does 90% of his computer work at home. IMHO it seems that people have become too dependent on mobile devices and needing to have computer access 24/7.

You might laugh at this, but at one point I was so addicted to PCs I'd stay up two days straight on some occasions, to the point where I used to have repetitive, hallucinatory type dreams where I'd see images of programs, spreadsheets, games, etc. And I couldn't get the images out of my mind's eye, even when I was wide awake ... and no, I wasn't wired.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
........... You might laugh at this, but at one point I was so addicted to PCs I'd stay up two days straight on some occasions, to the point where I used to have repetitive, hallucinatory type dreams where I'd see images of programs, spreadsheets, games, etc. And I couldn't get the images out of my mind's eye, even when I was wide awake ... and no, I wasn't wired.
Ah, the good old days. I was doing a good bit of that 1994-1996 or thereabouts. On my old Packard Hell, 420mb hard drive and 8mb ram. Prodigy dial-up at 9600 baud. My computer childhood, fondly remembered. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender Total Security 2015

I certainly agree mobile devices can be very handy at times.

However, I do all my pre-shopping research on the net at home before I set foot out the door. So I've already checked prices, availability, and if necessary cut a deal by phone. When I leave home I'm organized and know where I'm going and what my agenda is. And I won't leave a tablet in my car as a target for thieves to steal by smashing in my car windows. Or as I said before, lug one around a shopping centre.

And if I've got a bit of time to kill, no way do I want to be stuck on an electronic device. I'd rather take a quiet walk by the river or beach, or watch a sunset, smell the roses ... or maybe even do a quiet relaxation exercise akin to a meditation.

Who wants to be connected 24/7? I recently took a long slow country trip just to get away from the phone, PC, email, visitors dropping in, and neighbors. And in remote regions of Aussie there often is no mobile phone network. In fact if you're travelling the outback you need to advise authorities of departure, route and ETA at next destination, for that very reason. Ask the Yankee guy Begucki, who got lost in the North West of Aussie a few years ago, and was saved by a million to one shot when spotted by a news chopper.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but I've never once needed to view, amend or transmit a spreadsheet, word doc, or whatever from a mobile device. As stated earlier, 99% of the time that can be done from a desktop if you're properly organized. And who wants to buy something on the net or Bpay a bill when you can't print a hard copy receipt? It seems to me a lot of the need for a mobile computer comes from laziness in not being organized.

My son has his own business and used to do everything on his $3000 Sony Vaio laptop. I built him a $1,000 tower with 24 inch widescreen montior and he now does 90% of his computer work at home. IMHO it seems that people have become too dependent on mobile devices and needing to have computer access 24/7.

You might laugh at this, but at one point I was so addicted to PCs I'd stay up two days straight on some occasions, to the point where I used to have repetitive, hallucinatory type dreams where I'd see images of programs, spreadsheets, games, etc. And I couldn't get the images out of my mind's eye, even when I was wide awake ... and no, I wasn't wired.

I too do a ton of desktopping and the thing I love about my Windows Phone, it feels like my PC's companion. I can make appointments in Outlook, and get those reminders and appointments on my phone with the calendar tile and lock screen. I overwhelmingly prefer researching for products and reviews on my desktop over my phone because it's just better. But the thing about mobile devices isn't simply because people aren't disorganized per se, it's more that they prefer mobility over not. A person can use the same laptop at work and at home and everywhere in between to do the same tasks that a desktop could do. But then again, it depends on the person. I wouldn't want to run a business solely on a 10 inch tablet PC or a laptop. I need something with good input devices and methods and a larger screen and faster hardware. The tablet PC would my filler device for things I need to do on my desktop, but don't really want to do on my Windows Phone. But I would use the tablet PC at a workplace over their systems as I can customize the poop out of Windows and can have my personal setup in action over some IT guy's idea of a setup.

And if I must say about your one-time addiction, WOW. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

The thing I just don't understand is how carriers are throwing out their share everything plans because people literally use more than 3 gigs of data. WHAT ARE THEY DOING?!??!!! Seriously, I would rather give up my phone than to use it as my primary device. I couldn't do it, I'd get so upset.

But yes, there are many things to a smartphone other than social networking. There was this saying once, it went, "A computer is only as smart as the person using it." I think an updated one should be, "A smartphone is only as smart as the person using it." Which, if you look at today's average smartphone user, the future of an intelligent, enlighten society is getting bleaker by the day. ;)

I remember a month ago, I was helping to assemble my niece's swing set for her birthday. My brothers and I were working on it and they're not greatly engineering/following instructions/design oriented. I was putting together the actual swing chains to the top bar, but the carriage bolt wasn't fitting correctly. I whipped out my Windows Phone, flipped on the front facing camera and took a picture of the top of the hole on the bar and saw that my idiot brothers assembled the top incorrectly. Everyone was like, "Whoa, I would had never thought of ever doing that" when I used my phone. Really? :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
all I can say is, people were very anti-vista, then it hit the market and it blew up due to MS low specs and OEM's not r and d'ing and providing a real system to run it on, but after a while, a lot of people did like it, then 7 and people are all about 7, it's the greatest thing since XP SP2.

Once people get a taste of what can be done with a Win8 Tablet (especially Win8 Pro) and considering the price equal to an Ipad?

Yeah, we will see who gets what for Christmas this year.

And I predict Win8 will smoke Ipad's,,,, as long as people are properly informed, which they are not being informed properly, with all the negative stuff out there.

People need to not pay attention to that stuff and seriously check it out for themselves.
after full release and the products are on the shelves.

To be able to do what a Win8 Pro Tablet will do, is nothing to shake a stick at, it really will be a huge step forward and force Ipad and Android to change thier OS models. Trust on that.

One thing I do not want in a tablet and why i won't buy an ipad at the price or an android, is simply, don't want app driven garbage that you can't do all that much with.

If windows goes this route and removes Desktop completely and the ability to run full apps, and goes this way of strictly app driven garbage, they will lose a whole lot of people to Linux and that will explode into the mainstream. That you can also trust on.

I seriously doubt MS will do that though, they will always offer an Enterpise/Pro level OS for business and people like us. But they will also offer the RT for the app driven garbage for the other people :rolleyes:
Totally agree about the Windows tablet part. A HUGE pro over the ipad is that ios is detected as a mobile platform, so mobile optimized sites are rendered. In Windows 8, IE 10 is detected as the true Desktop version of the site, so therefore, EVERY bit of content on that site is shown versus digging around the mobile version. Why would you use a neutered smartphone OS for a tablet and then have the blasphemies to call it a PC replacement?

I would forever despise the person that would ever gift me an ipad for Christmas.... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
"A smartphone is only as smart as the person using it." Which, if you look at today's average smartphone user, the future of an intelligent, enlighten society is getting bleaker by the day. ;)
If I may say so, Cokey, one thing I like about your posts is the way you are so positive. And have to agree there's a difference between having a smartfone and using it smart. Also agree with the outlook for an 'enlightened society'. Probably shouldn't be pessimistic, but outlook is not exactly inspiring. But then again, if you can bear a bit of home philosophising, they say the best flowers grow out of dung fertilizer!

I whipped out my Windows Phone, flipped on the front facing camera and took a picture of the top of the hole on the bar and saw that my idiot brothers assembled the top incorrectly. Everyone was like, "Whoa, I would had never thought of ever doing that" when I used my phone. Really? :rolleyes:
I may have been bit harsh in my criticism of mobile devices. That is brilliant use of a mob. :thumb:

I'd forgotten but just recently I helped a friend shift home. He's a mechanic by trade but not that good with PC/Entertainment electronic stuff. However, he was smart enough to take pics on his mobile of the back connectors of his home theatre set up. And that was enormously helpful as he relied on me to re-set it up, and it was quite a complicated job as you couldn't see the backs of the set top box recorder, DVD player, home theatre system, etc; as there were only small holes at the back of the cabinet. You had to pull the cords through from the back and connect them with the device half in the cabinet and at right angles to the back wall.

One thing with my Sony Android mob, I don't have a plan for the net. I pay as I use, but never use my account to connect. I just go into McDonalds, Subway or similar where it's free. And in Perth, the capital of West Aussie, the whole central business district is soon to be free if the mayor gets her way. I don't know her political views, but I'll take the freebie! :D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I will be putting Windows 8 on my laptop just because XP needs replacing, I will carry on using 7 on my desktop, nothing wrong with it at all :D

My Computer

I will be putting Windows 8 on my laptop just because XP needs replacing, I will carry on using 7 on my desktop, nothing wrong with it at all :D
:ditto: I'll continue to use W7 on main machine, and maybe W8 either as virtual or possibly even main OS over Vista licence on backup machine. May even buy el cheapo 3rd machine form a friend who buys/repairs/sells 2nd hand PCs ... just for W8! And even that's a big turn around for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Well... At this point I'm running Win7 Home Premium and it's going well. I have tested out Win8 RP and I really like it. Am I going to take the plunge and upgrade?? I plan on getting the DVD from Amazon when I can or as soon as they can make it available.

Or I might just download the upgrade from MS on the 26th. At this moment the upgrade seems like a good option for me.

If all goes wrong with Win8 I still can reinstall Win7 and just keep that setup. My only loss would be 39.99. It's money but at that price why not give it a shot, :)

My 2c Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
"A smartphone is only as smart as the person using it." Which, if you look at today's average smartphone user, the future of an intelligent, enlighten society is getting bleaker by the day.

This really is no joke, as much as one would like it to be.

I think there are a lot of generalities being thrown around as well.

Quite honestly, people look at one thing and the don't see the usefulness of it, in a practical since. Then they generalize it as that is how they will always do a task, when that really isn't the case. It's a helpful tool to get a job done more efficiently. Such as, a Word Doc that you have on Skydrive that you realize sitting in a cab, at lunch whatever, you either A.) Don't have your Laptop/Tablet with you, but you do have your phone, easy, add, edit delete what you want then you don't have to try and remember it later.

There are vast possibilities.

So I created a Recipe in One Note on my phone, was it easy? no, but it worked, and it was when the notions hit me, I had a shopping list made out of the recipe at the same time and when I got to the store, I didn't have to try and remember it, Also, i had checks I could mark off as I went. I didn't have to try and remember it, it was right there

I got home, pulled it up on my desktop and completed and fleshed it out, then made it.

I had all the stuff I needed and didn't forget anything,,, this is just one simple example, and by no means even a very good one. But an example that was extremely useful none the less, and I hate writing on paper and putting it in my pocket then have to retype it,,, in this case most of it was already done. I didn't have to try and recreate anything or re-remember anything.

The point is, many people are missing the usefulness of the tools that are provided on a WinPhone with Skydrive and Office Access. Especially when you are in a location that doesn't provide an environment suited for pulling out a Laptop/Tablet.

These things Phones and Tablets are tools to be used in the capacity they are designed, not a replacement for everything you have. I think people loose sight of that fact and over generalize the usefulness and then write them off as useless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
This really is no joke, as much as one would like it to be.

I think there are a lot of generalities being thrown around as well.

Quite honestly, people look at one thing and the don't see the usefulness of it, in a practical since. Then they generalize it as that is how they will always do a task, when that really isn't the case. It's a helpful tool to get a job done more efficiently. Such as, a Word Doc that you have on Skydrive that you realize sitting in a cab, at lunch whatever, you either A.) Don't have your Laptop/Tablet with you, but you do have your phone, easy, add, edit delete what you want then you don't have to try and remember it later.

There are vast possibilities.

So I created a Recipe in One Note on my phone, was it easy? no, but it worked, and it was when the notions hit me, I had a shopping list made out of the recipe at the same time and when I got to the store, I didn't have to try and remember it, Also, i had checks I could mark off as I went. I didn't have to try and remember it, it was right there

I got home, pulled it up on my desktop and completed and fleshed it out, then made it.

I had all the stuff I needed and didn't forget anything,,, this is just one simple example, and by no means even a very good one. But an example that was extremely useful none the less, and I hate writing on paper and putting it in my pocket then have to retype it,,, in this case most of it was already done. I didn't have to try and recreate anything or re-remember anything.

The point is, many people are missing the usefulness of the tools that are provided on a WinPhone with Skydrive and Office Access. Especially when you are in a location that doesn't provide an environment suited for pulling out a Laptop/Tablet.

These things Phones and Tablets are tools to be used in the capacity they are designed, not a replacement for everything you have. I think people loose sight of that fact and over generalize the usefulness and then write them off as useless.

Right on Bro! I wish I had today's technology 40 years ago! These are very useful tools. An intelligent society has good schools to develop such technology. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I will not upgrade my current PC, which seems to be a perfect fit with Windows 7. But I have no doubt that my next PC will come with Windows 8 preinstalled. I am not concerned about it - I have used every preview since the DP, and also the Enterprise trial. I know how to work around the things that irritate me about Win8. But I will miss Aero ;-)

I am a fossil desktop user - no interest whatsoever in things mobile and touchy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
No, I will not upgrade to... that interface. Can't stand it and couldn't through all the public releases right up to the 90 day trial.

Ugly visuals aside, I hate the interface, as a great many do. Even just buying it for the $40 upgrade price, that would say "I like where this is going" to microsoft. I don't, so I will speak with my money and not buy it. This is Windows, Not Window, which is where they seem to want to go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
No, I will not upgrade to... that interface. Can't stand it and couldn't through all the public releases right up to the 90 day trial.

Ugly visuals aside, I hate the interface, as a great many do. Even just buying it for the $40 upgrade price, that would say "I like where this is going" to microsoft. I don't, so I will speak with my money and not buy it. This is Windows, Not Window, which is where they seem to want to go.

Ah hahaha, "Window" :D

Similarly I'm voting with my wallet, I have 5 active machines at home and none of them are going to be upgraded to 8 (First time ever I've not upgraded to the latest offering), there is simply no point. None of the mildly upgraded internal features are worth the rest of the horror.

So even at $40, there's $200 MS won't be seeing from me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
FS - you are fortunate to have the choice.

Many who need to buy a machine will be inflicted with win8.

They won't know how /be able to upgrade to win7.

Even Vista is an upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back