Will 90 percent of users always hate Windows 8?

IDC I believe reported that many Windows 8 users

Did they?

I think they are talking about non users here - the reasons why they will not buy it. Different group. perhaps?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi there
these sort of statistics are like trying to apply complex standard deviation and spread calculations to a set of observations which contain precisely ONE measurement.

The data sample used in the article is a) likely to be very small and b) certainly won't be a random group of "typical" users.

It's like those commercials on TV -- Most Women like this cosmetic or find it reduces blemishes. -- If you then check the statistics it will be a sample of around 50 women who probably are getting a small "service" for their participation. (Doesn't have to be cash -- could just be a goodies bag or a free meal etc.)

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yea, I need to see hard numbers from scientific, undiluted studies. Although I enjoy and respect the author, I think anyone could write an article or book making statements to justify the means to their own ends. Not saying he's lying. I'm questioning the book. I will research.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
these sort of statistics are like trying to apply complex standard deviation and spread calculations to a set of observations which contain precisely ONE measurement.

The data sample used in the article is a) likely to be very small and b) certainly won't be a random group of "typical" users.

It's like those commercials on TV -- Most Women like this cosmetic or find it reduces blemishes. -- If you then check the statistics it will be a sample of around 50 women who probably are getting a small "service" for their participation. (Doesn't have to be cash -- could just be a goodies bag or a free meal etc.)

Cheers
jimbo
Jimbo, there are a lot of people who make a curve from 1 measurement point. Isn't that common parctice in statistics, LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo
Jimbo, there are a lot of people who make a curve from 1 measurement point. Isn't that common parctice in statistics, LOL.

Hi there
I hope the manufacturer of the next plane I fly on doesn't use those type of Engineers when designing their aircraft or the Pilot finds his way to the airport that way.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Boy, there's a lot of 90 percenters on this Forum.

I know right?! Some need to go outside and look at pretty scenery and realize that they're on a forums about a product doing nothing more than hating on the product; then come to the conclusion what a futile waste of time that is when they could do something like.... gardening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
FWIW, here is the follow up by the author whs cited. Gee an "article" containing the comments to his original that he likes. ZDNet has few publication standards IMO, although some of its authors are OK to good.

The user comments are interesting reading. But many show that people don't want to learn. -- that is not my problem. I just find Windows 8 more cumbersome to work with than Windows 7. And since there are really no new attractive functions for me, I won't use it other than for academic studies in a virtual partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The standout example in the article for me is when he describes watching his Dad use Windows 8:
I watched him try and do simple tasks and saw him again and again just floored by Windows 8's odd usability modes. He showed me how double-clicking a photo in his mail software (a normal desktop app) would open up the Metro-style photo viewer. Blam! His whole machine is taken over. Just a picture in the middle of a gray ocean with no clue, nothing to click. Taskbar gone. A close button? No. He was used to clicking on the taskbar to switch apps, used to clicking the close button to dismiss things when it got out of hand. (He'd never used Alt+Tab.) What's he supposed to do at this point, learn Alt+F4 to close a Metro-style app or the utterly undiscoverable mouse-based gesture of dragging a Metro-style container to the floor?
If you don't know the magic gestures or keystroke shortcuts, how do you know how do get out of that?

Sure you can Google it, but only once you've figured out how to escape the Metro screen in the first place and get to a browser.

I think this is why the Start button resurrection utilities are so popular - it gives people an escape route, and a constant interface which is on the screen all the time, by which you can take control again when you're lost. Even the former standard "F1" for help is broken in Metro, and not replaced by anything as far as I can tell.

People have compared Windows 8 to when the "ribbon" appeared in Office 2007, but the two are very different. With the ribbon, everything moved around, which is a pain for people who'd got used to the previous menus and keyboard shortcuts for the previous 10 years. But at least you can navigate the ribbon and figure it out, and for a user new to Office, I'll take Microsoft's word for it that it's easier.

Compare that with Metro on a non-touch PC which leaves you no clues on what to do.

Metro usability is fixable, but has a long way to go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
FWIW, here is the follow up by the author whs cited. Gee an "article" containing the comments to his original that he likes. ZDNet has few publication standards IMO, although some of its authors are OK to good.
I just find Windows 8 more cumbersome to work with than Windows 7. And since there are really no new attractive functions for me, I won't use it other than for academic studies in a virtual partition.
Agreed. That's basically what I think, although Win8 is a perfectly functional OS. I am sticking with my virtual Win8 Pro on my MacBook Pro and second copy of it on my old HP laptop. I bought cheap. :) The only thing that might make be think twice is if I could steal a Win8 OEM laptop (with UEFI) in anticipation of "Big Blue"--once we get more of an idea about, hopefully, not BooBoo.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
The standout example in the article for me is when he describes watching his Dad use Windows 8:
I watched him try and do simple tasks and saw him again and again just floored by Windows 8's odd usability modes. He showed me how double-clicking a photo in his mail software (a normal desktop app) would open up the Metro-style photo viewer. Blam! His whole machine is taken over. Just a picture in the middle of a gray ocean with no clue, nothing to click. Taskbar gone. A close button? No. He was used to clicking on the taskbar to switch apps, used to clicking the close button to dismiss things when it got out of hand. (He'd never used Alt+Tab.) What's he supposed to do at this point, learn Alt+F4 to close a Metro-style app or the utterly undiscoverable mouse-based gesture of dragging a Metro-style container to the floor?
If you don't know the magic gestures or keystroke shortcuts, how do you know how do get out of that?

Sure you can Google it, but only once you've figured out how to escape the Metro screen in the first place and get to a browser.

I think this is why the Start button resurrection utilities are so popular - it gives people an escape route, and a constant interface which is on the screen all the time, by which you can take control again when you're lost. Even the former standard "F1" for help is broken in Metro, and not replaced by anything as far as I can tell.

People have compared Windows 8 to when the "ribbon" appeared in Office 2007, but the two are very different. With the ribbon, everything moved around, which is a pain for people who'd got used to the previous menus and keyboard shortcuts for the previous 10 years. But at least you can navigate the ribbon and figure it out, and for a user new to Office, I'll take Microsoft's word for it that it's easier.

Compare that with Metro on a non-touch PC which leaves you no clues on what to do.

Metro usability is fixable, but has a long way to go.
Good points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I just find Windows 8 more cumbersome to work with than Windows 7. And since there are really no new attractive functions for me, I won't use it other than for academic studies in a virtual partition.
Agreed. That's basically what I think, although Win8 is a perfectly functional OS. I am sticking with my virtual Win8 Pro on my MacBook Pro and second copy of it on my old HP laptop. I bought cheap. :) The only thing that might make be think twice is if I could steal a Win8 OEM laptop (with UEFI) in anticipation of "Big Blue"--once we get more of an idea about, hopefully, not BooBoo.
I don't expect out much from Blue. I am getting myself prepared for the future studying Linux Mint - a really nice OS. Just made a bunch of tutorials.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
"I hate Office's Ribbon UI."

-Said no one ever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Once the flatulence apps start pouring in, things will change, you'll see... ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
Where have you been? could be asked here while most already know the number of 3rd party solutions is increasing just about ten fold daily. Now while most wouldn't rush to pay for one like StarDock's Start8 but go for the freebies like Start Menu 7 or Classic Shell(preferred here) StartDock apparently has something else available that can make some sense when going to run Metro or "Modern" apps. Start8 and MondernMix-- Windows 8's last, best hope for normality on the desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
It makes you wonder why any software company would make programs that allow you to configure and use Windows 8 like it was Windows 7. [sarcasm]I mean, no would want that.[/sarcasm]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
"I've always wanted to run my new operating system like my old one!"

-Said rarely anyone ever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back