Why would I want to switch to Windows 10?

They put back the Start button though so they do learn.

All they did is give you a shrunk start page with the apps in the left pane. I think the 8.1 solution was better regarding the Apps.

As it stands now, if I do install Windows 10 when released, I will also install Stardocks Start10, just like I installed Start8 when I first got Windows 8 and have kept it.

I don't much like the hybred Start button in Win 10. It's useable but not as good as Classic Shell or Start10 for a Desktop user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
How do or will they know (detect) when you upgraded or put on version of 8.1 on PC ?

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
To the OP. The Charms thingy is my least favorite aspect of Windows 8, what do you like about it?

Well, like I said I am using Windows 8 on touch enabled devices. I do have it on one Dell
laptop that is not touch but on that device I just live in my desktop all the time.

For the touch device it gives you access to so many things without having to get a mouse
or try to tap on tiny icons. Swipe it, hit the icon you want, get your menu and go. What's
not to like about it? Again, it's geared towards touch devices. Not standard desktops. Microsoft
SHOULD have always allowed a legacy setting for standard desktop users to have the old-style
start menu instead of the tiles menu if they chose to. That was one of their BIG mistakes
with Windows 8 IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Nokia Lumia 2520
    CPU
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800
    Memory
    2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    32GB SSD
    Case
    Asus Case
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wedge Keyboard
    Mouse
    Bornd Bluetooth Mouse
    Browser
    IE 11
I like the charms bar on my desktop. I don't have to "leave" it to do some things like power off or turn my internet connection off. That said, I would have preferred a button to click(maybe in system tray?) than the swipe action(mind I'm talking about using a Desktop or laptop PC), but still, in 10 I miss the charms, but I have already adjusted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR
How do or will they know (detect) when you upgraded or put on version of 8.1 on PC ?

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!
Microsoft have sent out e-mails warning users that the upgrade is not possible on W8.
To check whether you qualify for the freebie see if you have KB3035583 in your updates.
This is M$,s way of only updating genuine copies.

As for an opinion W8.1 has been a big improvement on W8, and I feel very comfortable working with it.

Having been on all W10 iterations since last Oct and taking into account it is still a work in progress I must admit that enormous advances have been made on simplifying everyday operations, just one example, Cortana with its sidebar, the things you can do on it are mind boggling.

For those that want to take advantage of all the extras that W10 bring there is of course a learning process but anyone with an enquiring mind will no doubt find real satisfaction in so doing.

Those just needing to browse the internet and e-mails will not have any problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
To the OP. The Charms thingy is my least favorite aspect of Windows 8, what do you like about it?

Well, like I said I am using Windows 8 on touch enabled devices. I do have it on one Dell
laptop that is not touch but on that device I just live in my desktop all the time.

For the touch device it gives you access to so many things without having to get a mouse
or try to tap on tiny icons. Swipe it, hit the icon you want, get your menu and go. What's
not to like about it? Again, it's geared towards touch devices. Not standard desktops. Microsoft
SHOULD have always allowed a legacy setting for standard desktop users to have the old-style
start menu instead of the tiles menu if they chose to. That was one of their BIG mistakes
with Windows 8 IMO.

I still don't get on a desktop touch screen how it is productive to remove your fingers from your keyboard and mouse. I understand on a tablet or phone your not really trying to produce work and likely only running one app. Where as a Desktop you probably have at least 3 window open

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

with Windows 8 IMO.

I still don't get on a desktop touch screen how it is productive to remove your fingers from your keyboard and mouse. I understand on a tablet or phone your not really trying to produce work and likely only running one app. Where as a Desktop you probably have at least 3 window open

That's the good thing on 8, use can use any of the options

Just using your example though, I am typing this now using 2 hands, why is it easier to move my hand onto the mouse instead of just taping the post reply button?, both are just as easy to reach, I do use the mouse for this but its just as easy to touch the screen
I don't sit with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard, I use the method that is easiest at the given moment

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Thank you for choosing to participate in a pre-release program for our next version of Windows!

Data We Collect

Microsoft collects many kinds of information in a variety of ways to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences. We may combine this data with information that is linked to your user ID, such as information associated with your Microsoft account.

When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage.

For example, when you:

• install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility...
  • when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),
  • when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it...
  • when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features...
i think i'll wait...

I hope this is just for the "pre-release"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy dv7
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
Thank you for choosing to participate in a pre-release program for our next version of Windows!

Data We Collect

Microsoft collects many kinds of information in a variety of ways to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences. We may combine this data with information that is linked to your user ID, such as information associated with your Microsoft account.

When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage.

For example, when you:

• install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility...
  • when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),
  • when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it...
  • when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features...
i think i'll wait...

I hope this is just for the "pre-release"
And probably if one stays in the insider program after its released to the public. There keeping the insider program open for those who want cutting edge new update/upgrades to further test before it´s released through the normal channels.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Well, my Nokia Lumia 2520 is Windows RT 8.1 and so it will not be getting Windows 10 anyway. Which right at this moment is fine by me.

If anything I will install Windows 10 after it is released on my Dell laptop and just see how well I like it.
My other tablet is an IRULU Walknbook (10" full Windows 8.1) and other than my gaming desktop
(which is now dead..need to find out what happened..I think the power supply gave up) my IRULU is
the most powerful computer in our house. I will be reluctant to put Windows 10 on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Nokia Lumia 2520
    CPU
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800
    Memory
    2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    32GB SSD
    Case
    Asus Case
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wedge Keyboard
    Mouse
    Bornd Bluetooth Mouse
    Browser
    IE 11
What happens if we don't want 10 right away when it comes? is it going to going to update automatically? I have computer set to auto update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Envy 700-414
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4570 3.20ghz
    Memory
    12 gigabyte
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD 4600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Pavilion 22bw
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB
    PSU
    460w
    Keyboard
    Hp Wireless cichlet style
    Mouse
    Logitech m 100
    Internet Speed
    Charter Cable Wireless
    Browser
    INTERNET EXPLORER 11
    Antivirus
    NORTON 360
What happens if we don't want 10 right away when it comes? is it going to going to update automatically? I have computer set to auto update.

1. Hide it
2. No, it will probably come as an optional(unticked) and optional don't update without user interaction. Only recommended can be set to auto update with the important

I'm not sure if it'll be required to get Win10. but I also have Give updates for other Microsoft products ticked.

Image 2.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

We had discussed this scenario before. There is no conceivable way that MS can install Win10 on your system without your agreement. The least you will have to agree to is the EULA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
There is no conceivable way that MS can install Win10 on your system without your agreement.

that's why they give it away for free...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion7
    CPU
    1.90 ghz
    Memory
    8.00gb
It took long enough getting windows 8 to function like windows 7, like it should on a desktop. Not switching and dealing with another OS that wasn't designed for computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
i have not tried w10 but i have high hopes for it to be what 8.1 should have been. using 8.1 on my surface pro 3 has been (is) a most confusing and frustrating experience, much more so than when i started using android on my phone and nexus tablet. all those bewildering gestures and swipes that seem to just have been added with no logical (to me) thought behind. for instance, in ie you move back by swiping left toright (but dont start swiping from too far left!), while in other apps you press the little arrow in the upper left. and the email client... no wonder people do not take w8 apps seriously, when even microsoft themselves dont. and spell checking and correctio... come on, look at android how it works there! after a full stop the keyboard should automatically shift... and so on... if w10 doesnt fix most of the oddities and present a logical and coherent ui, im afraid im leaving windows, being with it since 3.11...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Suyrface Pro 3
    CPU
    i7
It took long enough getting windows 8 to function like windows 7, like it should on a desktop. Not switching and dealing with another OS that wasn't designed for computers.
It took all of a minute or two to install something like Classic Shell or StartIsBack. I've been using Windows 8.1 exclusively across three computers, and it works perfectly on all. One is a tower, one is a standard ultrabook, and one is a Surface Pro 3. So only one touch screen, but I've come to enjoy using it, even without adding a start menu. Problem is, people are afraid of change, and instantly decide change is bad, rather than understand why those changes are being made.

As for Windows 10, I'd suggest actually trying it out. It implements the very things you are complaining about Windows 8.1 not having. The Start Menu works very well on a touch or non-touch device. It sounds like you haven't given it a shot or read much about it (remember, instantly deciding change is bad). If so, you'll see that you have a normal Start Menu again. No Start Screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H
    Memory
    16 GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 470 GTX
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256 GB, WD WD20EFRX 2 TB
    PSU
    OCZ 700W
    Case
    Corsair 300R
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Well, it was not designed for wood stows, was it ? It's actually more for desktops than anything else. Besides, there was W7 for phones too. Never heard anybody calling W7 'Phone Os'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Well, it was not designed for wood stows, was it ? It's actually more for desktops than anything else. Besides, there was W7 for phones too. Never heard anybody calling W7 'Phone Os'.
How do you figure that?? W10 is a pure touch OS. Nothing has been done to improve the operational characteristics of classic desktops with keyboard and mouse. Make the test - define a high contrast theme in 8.1 and then in 10 and tell me which is easier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I'm getting along with it just fine on desktops, don't have any touch screen devices save for an android phone. Didn't try any high contrast themes, can't see much on them. I usually roll my own.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro