Why the many versions of windows 8.1?

xptowindows8

trying to installWindows 8.1 Pro for a frined ,which currently has Windows 7.
When to this link in Microsoft to download a fresh copy [ ISO] image. - Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)

When I click on the "selection Edition " pull down Menu, I was presented with many versions of Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 , Windows 8.1 N , Windows 8.1 K , Windows KN, Windowes 8.1 Single Language

Just want a the latest copy of Windows 8.1 Pro ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
N and KN are European and Korean versions without media player and other Media functions (stupid monopoly laws) just install the 8.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    i9
Have NOT install Windows 8.1 for a while now,do I need to use a "generic key" first during installation
and later change the product key, after the installation is completed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
if the PC did not come with windows 8/8.1 Pre-installed

then you will need to use a Valid Activation Key....

If the PC came with windows 8/8.1 then no key is needed as the key will be embedded into the BIOS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
if the PC did not come with windows 8/8.1 Pre-installed

then you will need to use a Valid Activation Key....

If the PC came with windows 8/8.1 then no key is needed as the key will be embedded into the BIOS

Think it came with Windows 7, and I bought a Retail Version on Windows 8.0 Pro, and I remember using a generic key
to install from the Microsoft Downloaded ISO image, and later pop in the Windows 8.0 Retail key for Activation, just not sure
the product key I got is good for how mant Pc's?

And which generic key should I use to install to end up with Windows 8.1 Pro eventually after activation or product or CD key change?

2019-10-13_150849.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
Back