Why Microsoft redesigned Windows

Windows 8 has its fans and foes, but Microsoft felt the time was ripe for a new look and feel for a product used by more than 1.2 billion people.

Julie Larson-Green, the new head of Windows product development, recently spoke with MIT Technology Review about the reasons behind the major changes in the latest version of Windows.

Source

A Guy

I think metro is the best thing that could happen to tablets and phones...

I just wish it was thought about differently for the desktop users.

I agree with you 100% they do need to do things differently for desktops like leave it off it has no place on desktop computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Politician's Fallacy

They needed something to do.

"Yes, Prime Minister"

1. We must do something
  2. This is something
  3. Therefore, we must do this.

To put it another way:

1. To improve things, things must change
  2. We are changing things
  3. Therefore, we are improving things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
"Yes, Prime Minister"

1. We must do something for we are losing market share to the other giants because consumers are buying touch pads like crazy!
  2. This is something we think those consumers will appreciate and buy.
  3. Therefore, we must do this.

To put it another way:

1. To improve things, things must change from familiar OSs we have created in the past.
2. We are changing things for the better.
3. Therefore, we are improving things <- Correct. :D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
You can't lose something ...

1. We must do something for we are losing market share to the other giants because consumers are buying touch pads like crazy!

You can't lose something you never had.

Who's taking Microsoft enterprise market share?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13

I stand corrected. I should have stated "We are losing at entering a big market share of a growing market". You are correct in that MS dominates in enterprise PC OS market. No doubt about it. Of course, that's who they originally created an OS for. To run on IBM architecture for it was IBM and Apple hardware that dominated the desktop computer industry. Back then IBM for business and Mac for enthusiasts and home use, although it seems to me that the movie and arts industry started to use Macs because it was better at graphics. PCs were business number crunchers.

We're talking the early to mid 80's here. Around the time of the famous Apple Superbowl commercial. Apple saw that more and more IBM PCs started creeping into homes. A huge market opportunity began to grow. That's why the ad campaign. It's the way I remember and see it anyway.

Around this time other OEMs started to get into the game with IBM architecture not the Mac. So now we have PCs flooding the market with Windows preloaded. It seems that Windows was more "user friendly" which aided in sales. It eventually lead the government suing MS for monopolizing.

There's more to it that meets the eye and far too much for me to post. IBM had one of the greatest sales department in history, just to name one. Many other factors of influence also.

So, we have reached a point in computing history where I believe the market has shifted to touch navigation due to smart phones and pads. Societies are becoming more mobile. Surely no one can doubt that this is a huge expanding market. A paradigm shift has occurred.

Let's keep in mind that Apple was always in the hardware/software business whereas MS was was generally software. MS did get into peripherals and Xbox this past decade or so. Recently Apple begins to dominate in the phone and pad market, for the general reason that they've always been in the hardware/software business. An edge so to speak.

As a result, MS begins to tailor and "reimagine" itself to enter this ever growing market. They are attempting to enter more of the hardware business via the Surfaces in order to expand. Please keep in mind that an organization, as with an organism, needs to forever grow or expand in order to survive, otherwise it becomes stagnant. That's why I think MS needed to change. Why did Kodak and Kmart (to name a few) take a plunge? They didn't change to tailor themselves to market trend. The bottom line is that the consumer decides market trends, not businesses. A business may introduce their envisioned product or service, but consumers have the final vote as to it's success.

So, we have MS introducing what I consider a "transitional" OS, which we can all agree is quite different than what MS has ever released before. It's not "familiar" to us. I believe their biggest goal is to create an OS to attempt to use across multiple devices. Not an easy task whatsoever. Obviously somewhere along the lines you make people angry and doubtful. Change, to me, has always been a "B".

I have always stated that 8 is not targeted at enterprise, although some may adopt to it at it's present form. I believe it's targeted at the general public to attempt to enter an ever growing market. I think some should not worry. MS would be stupid in leaving out their dominating market of enterprise. I truly feel that they have a 9 or 10 in mind for them. I believe it will continue to be along the Modern interface lines being able to multipane and multi-monitor. We'll have to take a wait and see what they envision.

In conclusion: Eat or be eaten.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
IMO, IBM priced themselves out of the PC market.

I suspect that was because the executives:
  • Didn't want PCs to cannibalise their Minicomputer and Mainframe sales (especially the Service Agreements)
  • Ignored the fact that small businesses couldn't afford Minicomputers and Mainframes

The current situation isn't exactly identical to the IBM scenario, as there was no (public) Internet, Facebook or Angry Birds in those days.

We'll have to take a wait and see what they envision.

Agreed.
We won't know until a few years have passed and we get to see the real figures related to sales and usage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info

Absolutely spot-on! And I believe they've done the right thing IMHO.

I stand corrected. I should have stated "We are losing at entering a big market share of a growing market". You are correct in that MS dominates in enterprise PC OS market. No doubt about it. Of course, that's who they originally created an OS for. To run on IBM architecture for it was IBM and Apple hardware that dominated the desktop computer industry. Back then IBM for business and Mac for enthusiasts and home use, although it seems to me that the movie and arts industry started to use Macs because it was better at graphics. PCs were business number crunchers.

We're talking the early to mid 80's here. Around the time of the famous Apple Superbowl commercial. Apple saw that more and more IBM PCs started creeping into homes. A huge market opportunity began to grow. That's why the ad campaign. It's the way I remember and see it anyway.

Around this time other OEMs started to get into the game with IBM architecture not the Mac. So now we have PCs flooding the market with Windows preloaded. It seems that Windows was more "user friendly" which aided in sales. It eventually lead the government suing MS for monopolizing.

There's more to it that meets the eye and far too much for me to post. IBM had one of the greatest sales department in history, just to name one. Many other factors of influence also.

So, we have reached a point in computing history where I believe the market has shifted to touch navigation due to smart phones and pads. Societies are becoming more mobile. Surely no one can doubt that this is a huge expanding market. A paradigm shift has occurred.

Let's keep in mind that Apple was always in the hardware/software business whereas MS was was generally software. MS did get into peripherals and Xbox this past decade or so. Recently Apple begins to dominate in the phone and pad market, for the general reason that they've always been in the hardware/software business. An edge so to speak.

As a result, MS begins to tailor and "reimagine" itself to enter this ever growing market. They are attempting to enter more of the hardware business via the Surfaces in order to expand. Please keep in mind that an organization, as with an organism, needs to forever grow or expand in order to survive, otherwise it becomes stagnant. That's why I think MS needed to change. Why did Kodak and Kmart (to name a few) take a plunge? They didn't change to tailor themselves to market trend. The bottom line is that the consumer decides market trends, not businesses. A business may introduce their envisioned product or service, but consumers have the final vote as to it's success.

So, we have MS introducing what I consider a "transitional" OS, which we can all agree is quite different than what MS has ever released before. It's not "familiar" to us. I believe their biggest goal is to create an OS to attempt to use across multiple devices. Not an easy task whatsoever. Obviously somewhere along the lines you make people angry and doubtful. Change, to me, has always been a "B".

I have always stated that 8 is not targeted at enterprise, although some may adopt to it at it's present form. I believe it's targeted at the general public to attempt to enter an ever growing market. I think some should not worry. MS would be stupid in leaving out their dominating market of enterprise. I truly feel that they have a 9 or 10 in mind for them. I believe it will continue to be along the Modern interface lines being able to multipane and multi-monitor. We'll have to take a wait and see what they envision.

In conclusion: Eat or be eaten.

Absolutely spot-on! And I believe they've done the right think IMHO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Is that a typo on the "think" instead of "thing", Cargo? If it is, it's the best of typos I've ever seen! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Is that a typo on the "think" instead of "thing", Cargo? If it is, it's the best of typos I've ever seen! :)

Actually my quote has been merged with what CargoMatatu was trying to say. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Back