Why I love today’s Windows 8.1 Update

Last week we heard from Brandon LeBlanc about the new Windows 8.1 Update. In his post, he gives details on the update that offers refinements to the current Windows 8.1 experience. I’m happy to let you know that the update is beginning to roll out to customers worldwide today via Windows Update. The rollout will take a few weeks to get to everybody, so you might not see it right away. If you have automatic updates turned on, you’ll get it automatically. I’ve been using the Windows 8.1 Update for a few weeks now, and I wanted to share some of my impressions of it.

Here’s my deal: I have a Surface, a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist touch laptop, and an HP desktop PC that I have hooked up to two monitors, a mouse, and a keyboard. I affectionately refer to the HP as my “Big Ol’ Desktop.”

Before you start judging me as someone with too many devices, let me say: you can never have too many devices. Even before I worked at Microsoft, I had a reputation for having multiple devices and possibly being a little bit obsessed with them. I love and use all of them, and I have them all connected to OneDrive and my Microsoft account, so it’s easy to switch from writing a document on my Big Ol’ Desktop to editing that same document on my laptop without sticking it on a flash drive or emailing it to myself. (I remember back when I was in school, I’d burn an ENTIRE CD just so I could bring a paper from one computer to another.)

But the convenience of OneDrive and access to all my stuff from anywhere was already around before today’s update (though it used to be called SkyDrive).

The main reason I love the Windows 8.1 Update is that now, Windows responds to what kind of device and what kind of input method I’m using in order to make things as convenient and easy as they can be. Let me explain further:

If I’m using a mouse, Windows optimizes for a mouse

One of the first things I noticed with the update is that when I’m on my mouse-and-keyboard desktop PC, there are now more familiar mouse controls that show up to make it faster for me to get around. When I open up an app, if Windows detects that I’m using a mouse, it’ll show me a title bar with familiar-looking minimize and close buttons.

Also, if I right-click something on the Start screen with my mouse, it’ll show me a menu right next to my mouse pointer instead of the more touch-friendly app controls at the bottom of the screen.

If I’m using touch, it shows me touch options

One of my machines is a laptop with a touch screen—so sometimes I use the touch screen, and sometimes I only interact with the keyboard and a wireless mouse.

With the latest update, Windows now switches seamlessly to show me the controls that are most useful for how I’m interacting with my PC. If I press and hold something on the Start screen instead of right-clicking it to select it, the app commands at the bottom of the screen, which are big and easy to touch, pop up instead of the mouse-friendly but not finger-friendly right-click menus.

And all the same great gestures that I’ve gotten used to using with my Surface and touch laptop still work just like they always did. It’s nice to be able to choose and experience the best of both worlds.

Less separation between the desktop and Start

Now all the apps show up on the taskbar on the desktop, and you can pin apps from the Windows Store to the taskbar in addition to desktop apps. When you’re using a mouse, you can also point to the bottom edge of the screen to bring up the taskbar from wherever you are in your PC—from within an app like Mail or the Windows Store, from the Apps view, or from the Start screen. It’s no longer just a thing of the desktop. I’ve found this makes it especially easy to switch between apps and to launch apps I use often without leaving where I already am.

The Windows 8.1 Update doesn’t change any of the things I’ve already learned how to do with Windows 8.1, but it adds a few new options that make it more personal—so I can do things in a way that fits the kind of device I’m using, and fits the kind of thing I’m trying to get done.

If you’re wondering when the update will be available to you, you can check to see if it’s available for you in Windows Update. If it is, you can install it right from there. Remember that because it’s a rolling update, it won’t be available for everyone right away. Also remember that if you have automatic updates turned on, you’ll get the update without needing to do anything. You can check to see if there’s a search button near your account name on the Start screen—if so, you’ve got the latest update!

To read more about the Windows 8.1 Update, check out What's new in Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update?

For any support-related questions, be sure to post in the Windows forum where there will be folks who’ll be able to help troubleshoot any issues or answer any specific questions.

Thanks, and enjoy!
aggbug.aspx

More...

Actually I have 19 entries and all but one (no idea how it got there) are the ones belonging to windows installation. Some of them I uninstalled from the initial Win8, before upgrading to 8.1 and they came back with vengeance. Reading list, finance and few other ones I do not even consider using.

Ah OK, I have all those already uninstalled long ago. It looks like calling them "Apps you installed" was incorrect. Apps that can be uninstalled is likely a better description. I've got 15 in my list and all but a couple are Apps I installed. All the preinstalled Apps are at the bottom of my list. I'm not sure how they sort them, its not alphabetical that's for sure.

I have 50 > yes, 50 apps listed. I have some in my uninstalled list in “My apps” via the Store. Admittedly some I haven’t used in a while. I’m an app pack rat perhaps? :p

Looks like they’re listed according to date installed? Dunno. Those that cannot be uninstalled are not listed, just to confirm.

Has the uninstall option on that list always been there? Never noticed if it was.

View attachment 41498

That brings to mind one thing that really annoys me. Start Rant. You can't remove any of the Apps listed in the store under "Your Apps" from that list. When I got my ASUS laptop I logged in with my Live ID. Now all the factory installed Apps / bloat ware are listed in My Apps in the Store. Most of which I never used and promptly uninstalled. Also if you try an App and don't like it, its listed under your My Apps forever and a day. My "My Apps" section of the Windows Store is basically useless as its cluttered with useless Apps I will never use. Rant over.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I see you're still not allowed to use the sniping tool on the apps/metro page. That's a bummer :confused:

Oh contraire, fellow forumeer. Open Snipping tool > Go to your Modern/Metro anything > Press Ctrl/Print Screen > Snip to your hearts content. :D

Never knew that. Excellent. +1

The procedure does seem a bit wonky though.

You're welcome.

Wonky? You're the second one I've heard that from. The other one dislikes Modern/Metro with a passion. That's not true with you though, correct?

The only difference is that one has to go back to Modern/Metro. The tool does come along with, which is unfamiliar. I wonder if there's an app for that yet.

What's really convenient is that we can share that via Charms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Wonky? You're the second one I've heard that from. The other one dislikes Modern/Metro with a passion. That's not true with you though, correct?

I don't like or dislike the modern apps screen. As I said, to me, it's just one giant shortcut screen. That said, the only time I use the screen is when I need to access an app or program that I've not pinned to my taskbar. Outside of that I stay in desktop mode.

Anyway I asked about the snipping tool because if I needed to take a screen shot of something on the apps screen, in the past I would just do a print screen and edit in PS. I've been using Win 8 since release day and never realized the snip tool worked the way it does on the apps screen. But yeah, I think its a wonky way to work. Why not just click the snip tool like you do on the desktop and snip away.

And to answer your overall question... no I'm not one to bash 8 to high hell. I actually like it.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Sooo....

Who was the numb nut that decided that having the link to the Control Panel from PC Settings was a good idea? It is not and is incredibly counterproductive. Holy crap.... :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Sooo....

Who was the numb nut that decided that having the link to the Control Panel from PC Settings was a good idea? It is not and is incredibly counterproductive. Holy crap.... :sarc:

It's just an option that some folks may like that you don't have to use.

I'd prefer to have options, than not have them. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Sooo....

It's just an option that some folks may like that you don't have to use.

I'd prefer to have options, than not have them. ;)

That's true, but sounds UTTERLY redundant if I go to PC Settings and then have to go to the Control Panel to change something there. The question becomes why is there even PC Settings to begin with when Control Panel can have everything? That needs to be the inverse or otherwise it's just a cancel out of each other. Having two places to change settings isn't an efficient way to do things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Agreed that PC settings should have everything that Control Panel has. Hopefully, that'll be addressed in Windows 9 or a future update in Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I was wandering too, what's wrong with having more options ? Specially when they lead to same program and not duplicating the program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I think its just an out for somebody that ends up there by mistake. A new user may actually think PC Settings leads to control panel. Another scenario is you go there, look through the list and decide nope that's not it, maybe in control panel. I don't see it as a big deal that its there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
People just blundering about an OS can only blame themselves for their troubles but lack of clear instructions and manuals but also not reading of what's available out there (like forums or even Google) is also reason of some confusion. I remember, once upon a time when I thought I knew most everything about DOS 3 or something like that and than got me a book about it, size of small encyclopedia and found out I knew about that stuff for maybe 10 pages. Didn't even dream that there is so much more to it. I know few of those "mouse clickers and button punchers" that experiment like crazy without even a clue what those actions would bring or justify their actions with "Gee it looked logical to me, what the heck happened ? "
Just now, a friend asked me how come he ended up with two different sizes of icons on his desktop. I didn't even know it was possible, is it ?. Btw. he's one of those people that think windows, or any other OS, should be made with his own specifications and ways to work on them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Start Screen or app specific > Charms > Settings > Help > Read. Not very difficult. However, one IT pro member here once stated that no one reads those. What?!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Start Screen or app specific > Charms > Settings > Help > Read. Not very difficult. However, one IT pro member here once stated that no one reads those. What?!!!
Well, not everyone understands English good enough to understand most of "Computereese" language, that can be pretty confusing for some people too. Another thing is that some translations are way out and bear no resemblance to either English or that particular language. You should see how mutilated translations are English to Serbian. I speak both languages fluently but some words lost everything in translation to Serbian, can't make heads or tails of what they might mean. In addition, most computer and OS parts names come from real life things from before computers but are also in a particular or localized slang that usually can not be found in school books where most people learn English as a second or even third language.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
That brings to mind one thing that really annoys me. Start Rant. You can't remove any of the Apps listed in the store under "Your Apps" from that list. When I got my ASUS laptop I logged in with my Live ID. Now all the factory installed Apps / bloat ware are listed in My Apps in the Store. Most of which I never used and promptly uninstalled. Also if you try an App and don't like it, its listed under your My Apps forever and a day. My "My Apps" section of the Windows Store is basically useless as its cluttered with useless Apps I will never use. Rant over.

I agree with you in that one should have the option of clearing the list or at least partial. However, there are the categories of installed and not installed in the list options one can choose.

Perhaps they treat more like a bank account. One cannot clear what is on the debit or credit side of a ledger. It may also aid in that if one wanted to reinstall the app because of change of mind and it becomes a paid for app in the meantime, then one can continue to install for free. It just occurred to me that this would also include paid apps as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Perhaps they treat more like a bank account. One cannot clear what is on the debit or credit side of a ledger.

LOL I should have sort you out when I was doing my accounting finals :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
I was wandering too, what's wrong with having more options ? Specially when they lead to same program and not duplicating the program.

It's not about having more options, it's about having a redundancy IN ORDER to get to more options. PC Settings is supposed to do what? Have all the settings for your PC. Yet, there is a link to the Control Panel because it doesn't have all the settings for your PC. So then, why would there even be a need for PC Settings to begin with if the Control Panel ALREADY has all of them except some of the modern controls like Lock Screen settings?

Either dump all the Control Panel settings and options into PC Settings or get out. It's so stupid to have a link to the Control Panel from a different control panel. Make one to be the ONLY one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I agree with you in that one should have the option of clearing the list or at least partial. However, there are the categories of installed and not installed in the list options one can choose.

Perhaps they treat more like a bank account. One cannot clear what is on the debit or credit side of a ledger. It may also aid in that if one wanted to reinstall the app because of change of mind and it becomes a paid for app in the meantime, then one can continue to install for free. It just occurred to me that this would also include paid apps as well.

No doubt they are locked so you can't delete a paid for App that is tied to your Live ID. It wouldn't be that hard to just give a warning though when you go to delete one of those. It shouldn't be a big deal to remove a free one from the list though. I think the original intent was so you could easily reinstall paid for Apps without having to rebuy or fill in your billing info all over again. If you just did a clean install they are all going to show up as uninstalled so that filter isn't going to help much. My "Your Apps" is so cluttered I don't even bother looking at it anymore, its basically useless to me. It could have been a really useful feature.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Perhaps they treat more like a bank account. One cannot clear what is on the debit or credit side of a ledger.

LOL I should have sort you out when I was doing my accounting finals :sick:

Well, I'm not a certified bean counter, but I know a little bit about counting beans. :p

BTW, Happy Tax Day, my fellow Americans!

[video=youtube;Oyu5sFzWLk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu5sFzWLk8[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

It's not about having more options, it's about having a redundancy IN ORDER to get to more options. PC Settings is supposed to do what? Have all the settings for your PC. Yet, there is a link to the Control Panel because it doesn't have all the settings for your PC. So then, why would there even be a need for PC Settings to begin with if the Control Panel ALREADY has all of them except some of the modern controls like Lock Screen settings?

Either dump all the Control Panel settings and options into PC Settings or get out. It's so stupid to have a link to the Control Panel from a different control panel. Make one to be the ONLY one.
Some of us added yet another way to Windows innards, it's called "God Mode", mine right now has 243 entries grouped by their use. As I said before, I like choices like that, which ever environment I'm in, I can do things without first closing bunch of windows first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Who said PC Settings has to have all the settings for your PC? Other than you that is. It looks to me that PC Settings deals primarily with the Metro side of things and Control Panel deals with the Desktop side. Last time I checked they hadn't been combined into one UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

Who said PC Settings has to have all the settings for your PC? Other than you that is. It looks to me that PC Settings deals primarily with the Metro side of things and Control Panel deals with the Desktop side. Last time I checked they hadn't been combined into one UI.
Then why call PC Settings "PC Settings" if it doesn't have all of your PC Settings? PC Settings deals with both the modern and Desktop aspects of things, the Control Panel just has a lot more in terms of depth of settings.

It seems pointless that from Windows 8 to 8.1, they made PC Settings from something with just basic settings to almost like...70-80 percent of the Control Panel only to just turn around and put a link to it from PC Settings. That to me is just lazy. It's like if they were to say, "Oh yeah, we were going to finish PC Settings and have everything right there, but in the meantime, here's the Control Panel!"

Bunch of hogwash.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back