Why Are PC Sales Up And Tablet Sales Down?

When iPads first came out, they were hailed as the undoing of the PC. Finally, a cheap and reliable computing device for the average user instead of the complicated, quirky PC. After a few years of strong growth for iOS and Android tablets and a corresponding decrease in PC sales, the inverse is suddenly true: PC sales are up and tablet sales are “crashing.” What happened?

The tablet slowdown shouldn’t be a surprise given that tablets have hardly improved beyond relatively superficial changes in size, screen resolution, and processor speed. The initial market for tablets is now saturated: grandparents and kids have them, people bought them as Sonos controllers and such, and numerous households have them around for reading. People that want tablets have them, and there’s just no need to upgrade because they more than adequately perform their assigned tasks.

Businesses and consumers alike are again purchasing PCs, and Mac sales are on the rise year-over-year. Businesses in particular are forced to upgrade older PCs now that Windows XP is no longer supported. When purchasing a new PC, the main driver to choose a PC versus a tablet is fairly obvious: If you are creating any type of content regularly, you need a keyboard, a larger screen, and (for most businesses) Microsoft Office.

Source

A Guy

Cause I use a pc .. and could never do what I do on a tablet. I do software development .. and good luck on a tablet. I would throw it through the window and go back to my pc. There are just some things that they suck at .. and honestly if someone wanted to give me a tablet for free .. I would tell them to keep it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus MB11
    CPU
    AMD A8-6500
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    Samsumg 840 EVO 250 GB
    Keyboard
    MS Keyboard 600
    Mouse
    MS Mouse ver 2.0
    Browser
    Firefox ver 30.0
Cause I use a pc .. and could never do what I do on a tablet. I do software development .. and good luck on a tablet. I would throw it through the window and go back to my pc. There are just some things that they suck at .. and honestly if someone wanted to give me a tablet for free .. I would tell them to keep it.
I'm a developer as well but that doesn't mean I don't have have use for a tablet. Don't you ever use your PC for something other than development? I wouldn't want a tablet as my only computing device but in addition to my other devices it has its place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
I'm a developer as well but that doesn't mean I don't have have use for a tablet. Don't you ever use your PC for something other than development? I wouldn't want a tablet as my only computing device but in addition to my other devices it has its place.

:ditto: Not to the being a developer part, but I also wouldn't mind having a tablet to play with at times.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Well yes .. I do other things too. But that is a major part of what I do on my pc. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I have played with my sisters iPad .. didn't really like it that much. :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus MB11
    CPU
    AMD A8-6500
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    Samsumg 840 EVO 250 GB
    Keyboard
    MS Keyboard 600
    Mouse
    MS Mouse ver 2.0
    Browser
    Firefox ver 30.0
I also do developement (occasionaly) and many other activities on my pc, but all of them would be difficult or very boring to do on the cripled interface of a tablet. I can think that it's nice to bring an altra small, light weight computer with you, but if using it is boring, what's for?
The worse thing on a tablet is the lack of real keyboard. That's what kills me. The touch-screen keyboard taks half of the display area and it's never as fast as typing on a real one. (Try to type with 6 figers at a time -3 fingers with each hand- on a touchpad screen keyboard). So you think wow what a large screen, then the keybord opens itself and your large screen is transformed into a narrow band.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I bought a used Dell XPS 12 for $550 and it's the best money I've spent in a long time for a laptop. Windows 8.1 is neat and fast, and the laptop converts to a tablet for things that don't require heavy keyboard work. I took a chance on this being a good combination laptop/tablet idea, and pleasantly found out I was correct for once.
Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Hard Drives
    128 GB SSD
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    Ccleaner from time to time. Not sure if this is necessary with 8.1??
Perhaps the move to a simpler, cheaper PC replacement will finally shift the cost/benefit equation such that these web applications will finally be upgraded or replaced with SaaS solutions.
I believe that the exact opposite will occur.

As hardware becomes cheaper, the (apparent) cost of software increases.

When a PC cost a few thousand dollars, spending $500 on software didn't seem that bad.
Now a PC costs a few hundred dollars, spending $500 on software seems excessive.

Hi there

That's true --- if you think now that a full copy of CS6 (the non subscription version) can cost well over 600 USD - more than a decent cheap entire PC !!.
I think it was closer to $2K here in Australia. :eek:
I could build (or even buy) a monster PC with that kind of cash

Now that there is a big push to move to 2160p (I've decided to refuse to call it 4K) imagine how tiny text would be on a 2160p tablet.
If the screen was 20cm x 11.25cm (8" x 4.5") it would have ~190 dots/cm (~480 dpi).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Use an iPad at work, tiny little screen for my eyes. Wait to look at things when I get home on my 24" monitor :)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
I also do developement (occasionaly) and many other activities on my pc, but all of them would be difficult or very boring to do on the cripled interface of a tablet. I can think that it's nice to bring an altra small, light weight computer with you, but if using it is boring, what's for?
The worse thing on a tablet is the lack of real keyboard. That's what kills me. The touch-screen keyboard taks half of the display area and it's never as fast as typing on a real one. (Try to type with 6 figers at a time -3 fingers with each hand- on a touchpad screen keyboard). So you think wow what a large screen, then the keybord opens itself and your large screen is transformed into a narrow band.

Hi there

Why not try one of those small blue tooth keyboards if you just need a keyboard for a few things on a tablet -- however I find a Convertible device is the best of both worlds -- although expensive I LIKE the SP3. In Tablet mode it's brilliant when I'm travelling and just want to watch a movie / browse the Internet. Try sitting on a fairly packed train and watch a movie on an enormous 17 inch Alienware laptop !! -- no matter how good that laptop is it's 100% impractical for travelling with !!

The 10 ins screen of the SP3 is large enough to watch a movie with -- I've tried using a Samsung S5 phone -- the SP3 is much better !! or watching a sports streaming service like SKY SPORTS - trouble with SKY SPORTS is all the other passengers want to watch the game too !!!.

Of course for Actual REAL computer work you need a proper keyboard and mouse too - possibly a decent sized monitor and some local storage -- well a convertible gives you that too.

I expect as the price comes down we'll see a lot more of these -- the Lenovo IMO isn't a competitor yet for the SP3 -- it's too fiddly switching between tablet and computer mode - but other cheaper convertibles will come now people are discovering the usefulness and versatility of the form factor. - I know it's no good for hard core gamers and some serious video editing stuff but most users aren't in that category.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
There's another type of computing devices that is largely ignored for now but has a great potential. Those are very small but potentially powerful PCs for which CPU manufacturers are gearing up right now. Those CPUs, Intel and AMD are too much for tablets but are going to rival today's desktop CPU + GPU combinations. Very lo power requirements mean not only battery life but also lo heat and therefore easier to keep in small packages. With wireless and micro USB connections to multiple devices they should be able to be connected to a large, smart TV set as well to smaller displays size of a tablet.

HummingBoard is set to take a bite out of Raspberry Pi
Barebones Android PC aimed at low-cost 24/7 operation
Acer?s latest Chromebox takes aim at education and small business
Fujitsu bombards business users with 10 new devices

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hi there

Those devices -- to do WHAT with exactly -- A Smart TV doesn't need a large amount of Horse power - in fact even a small old Netbook Atom processor is more than enough for it -- 99.9% of the power requirement for a TV comes from the SCREEN. You might need some circuitry for handling fast refresh rates - especially on Huge new 4K screens but that hardware is specialized and won't be of much use outside these displays.

Also a TV is essentially for Entertainment and relaxation -- I doubt (at least where I live) many people want to have loads of wires and boxes hanging off a TV and turning it into some sort of "Teenagers" Bedroom.

I refuse to have ANY computer in my living room - I've got plenty of places elsewhere where I can use all that type of gear -- I only have ONE exception - If I absolutely have to watch a movie that for some reason or other doesn't stream properly to the TV then I hook up a laptop via HDMI - but the laptop is REMOVED as soon as I'm done watching.

I agree with the old adage "Don't mix Business and Pleasure" -- Most times the computer stays where it belongs - in an Office / Hobby room / shed etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
A TV set for display ONLY, nice big screen instead of those little ones like tablets etc. It's more likely that there is going to be a TV set in a home than a computer. Mixing business and pleasure does not have to be bad. I used to love my job and frequently took it home to finish what I did not have time at work. I don't even have a TV set as my computer and 3 screens can handle all of it from one place. Most of the time, one of screens runs TV program or I'm playing music while I'm working on the main one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
A TV set for display ONLY, nice big screen instead of those little ones like tablets etc. It's more likely that there is going to be a TV set in a home than a computer. Mixing business and pleasure does not have to be bad. I used to love my job and frequently took it home to finish what I did not have time at work. I don't even have a TV set as my computer and 3 screens can handle all of it from one place. Most of the time, one of screens runs TV program or I'm playing music while I'm working on the main one.

Hi there

I suppose that's a "Life type" thing -- my take on it is Work is for Work and Playtime is for just that -- but each to their own -- I've seen what happens in places like the UK where a lot of people are forced to work any hours god sends them on those "Zero Hours" thingeys (not allowed here thank goodness) which make the ancient Roman model of Slavery seem almost benign in comparison.

Zero-hour contract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Hopefully Serbia won't let that type of thing in "under the door").

Mind you as an Engineer we often got overruns but that was completed "On Site" -so when I got home I was actually HOME and probably needed a nice stiff strong drink !!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Ugh, those "Zero Hour Contract" does not look too good for general work force. If it would at least work like retainer for lawyer or something like that. One reason I did not like to do work privately was insecurity of earnings. Anyway, I may seem like workaholic but in reality I did what I liked, mechanics, electronics, computers etc. and also like troubleshooting problems, a form of mind gymnastic I think. I was blessed with pretty good health too, so didn't find it all too difficult. Other hobbies like shooting and fishing, provided welcome change. While in Canada, i used to take one longer weekend a month off and go to a remote forest (there's a lot of it few hundred klicks from Toronto) all alone and just sit and watch nature. It empties your mind and recharges you greatly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Hi there

I suppose that's a "Life type" thing -- my take on it is Work is for Work and Playtime is for just that -- but each to their own -- I've seen what happens in places like the UK where a lot of people are forced to work any hours god sends them on those "Zero Hours" thingeys (not allowed here thank goodness) which make the ancient Roman model of Slavery seem almost benign in comparison.

Mind you as an Engineer we often got overruns but that was completed "On Site" -so when I got home I was actually HOME and probably needed a nice stiff strong drink !!.

Cheers
jimbo

In the US the same thing is called "independent contracting"...;) The only people who ever do that are those who by circumstance are forced to do it...;) The only "advantage" to it is that since you are not legally "an employee" but an "independent contractor" they can't withhold taxes from your check...but you're still liable for them, anyway...;) [Says someone who hasn't been in that status since his teenage years]....Minimum-wage statutes do not apply to independent contractors, either. Like zero-hour, I'd imagine, independent contracting is entirely voluntary, though--you cannot be forced into it (except indirectly, of course, through economic circumstances.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

In the US the same thing is called "independent contracting"...;) The only people who ever do that are those who by circumstance are forced to do it...;) The only "advantage" to it is that since you are not legally "an employee" but an "independent contractor" they can't withhold taxes from your check...but you're still liable for them, anyway...;) [Says someone who hasn't been in that status since his teenage years]....Minimum-wage statutes do not apply to independent contractors, either. Like zero-hour, I'd imagine, independent contracting is entirely voluntary, though--you cannot be forced into it (except indirectly, of course, through economic circumstances.)

Hi there

I'm talking about these new "ZERO HOURS" types of Contracts -- these have only been around for a few years -- I worked most of my life as an independent FREELANCER which is a totally different Ballgame -- usually you get a proper contract with no "Minimum" hours and your rights are almost the same as an Employee while you are on the job.

Not wishing to Hijack the thread - but there's a whole UNIVERSE of difference between this "Zero Hours" stuff and a proper external Free Lance contract as a lot of independent I.T contractors or Engineers will know. A typical I.T freelancer will have a guaranteed nr of hours a week to work at a specific rate per hr - OK they do their own taxes and don't get statuatory paid holidays (except in the EU zone (apart from the UK which opted out of "The social charter") after every 13 weeks in a contract you get a specific nr of days holiday) .

Not wishing to turn this thread into an "Employment Tribunal" but there's a whole UNIVERSE of difference between genuine Freelancers who want (and like ) working that way to these EVIL "ZERO HRS" Thingeys.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
In a high-tech oriented society, there's the mindset that "newer must be better", and since that is generally forced on us my the media and bloggers, the obverse "older is worse" must also be true. But, as those of us who have been around with computer technology for decades, we know that in reality, "older is different". It's scary to realize that there is more computing power in the digital watch on my wrist than on all of the computers contained in a single Apollo mission -- but those old computers got the job done! I have a relative who swears that Tablets are the best computers around, but when I pressed him for what he uses at work, he quietly admitted (1) he uses a desktop PC (for multiple windows, keyboard, and mouse use), and (2) prefers to use that over his tablet. When I asked him why he didn't relish spending the day reaching across his desk to touch a tablet screen, he replied "Why do that when I can use the mouse?" -- exactly -- Tablets are great for multimedia work and nearly every I know (including my spouse, kids, and grandkids), uses them for videos, pictures, and movies. Plus, like others have said, everyone I know that WANTS a tablet already has one. Verizon is even giving them away to customers as incentives for upgrading their cell phones. So basically, there's no huge herd of tablet buyers out there lining up to buy the latest and greatest table.

My Computer

New type of any machine can be compared only to similar machine, in case of computing devices it's tablet against tablet, laptop - laptop, they are made for different uses. You can't compare a freezer and refrigerator and they are as close devices as you can get, much less to compare them to stoves. So, we have smart phones that do SOME computing, tablets that may do some more computing but less phoning, laptops that do much more computing but next to none of phoning (Skype etc. notwithstanding), then we have desktops which have other roles. So, all of those devices have their role in life and is good thing they all exist but there should be no comparison between all of them. If each one is used the way they are made for they are good things but if you try using them to replace one another none of them will be good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Yeah, older is not necessarily worse but different. My first computer was an IBM PC in 1984. My phone and tablet are many times more powerful with faster processor, far better graphics, more storage, more RAM, connected to the rest of the world, etc... but I would rather edit a document or a spreadsheet on that old IBM PC than try to do the same on my phone or tablet. Of course I'd much rather do those things on a modern desktop than the old PC but the old PC could get the job done better than my phone or tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
A PC =/= a desktop. A PC is a laptop, x86 based tablet, or desktop. A Surface Pro is a tablet PC.

I think everyone here mostly didn't read the article because it speaks of tablets, i.e. ipad garbage, versus the enterprise buying new PC hardware to replace old xp hardware. PC sales are up, they're not necessarily all desktops. People are realizing that tablets, like the ipad, are incredibly limited to a certain subset of functions that end up requiring a PC. That means it's a huge waste of time and money.

The article also then points out the fact about things like "super tablets" i.e., the Surface Pro 3 and the enterprise's desire for them. Windows as it is right now isn't totally adjusted for sole touch input only with a keyboard because of the Desktop, so it's not the perfect solution but as we all should know by now it's the best solution out there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back