Which imaging apps support UEFI, GPT and Secure Boot?

Probably an oem partition ID. Either change the ID to 0x07, or use Aomei/Paragon to image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have Paragon HDM 12. How do I make a boot disk that will work with Win8 UEFI/GPT?

I'd like to use the disk to create the image just so I know it works.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
For DVD/CD.
Tools>Recovery Media Builder.

CaptureDVD-CD.PNG

For USB, you can download the USB app.

CaptureUSB.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I created an image using Paragon HDM 12 installed version which saw all partitions in their true size. Will it matter that I had Secure Boot disabled and CSM enabled? It also took over an hour while constantly reading 14 minutes xx seconds remaining which seems just buggy. :huh:

I've tested the Boot media to queue up the image file. Would the image be safest if made from boot media?

I guess the Windows Image of only System and C is a good enough secondary so I'd have something on the drive if I take it back to Best Buy. I'm wary of how changing Partition ID would affect Paragon primary image.

I'm tempted to go buy some DVD's for the Toshiba backup since my 16gb stick is lost right now. Do you think I'm good as is?

I'd like to make every attempt to first install to this GPT drive on space I shrunk from C: using CSM, EFI, run installer Sources>Setup from 8, disk and stick. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
I'm tempted to go buy some DVD's for the Toshiba backup since my 16gb stick is lost right now. Do you think I'm good as is?

Always worth making the OEM Recovery Disks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I have Paragon HDM 12. How do I make a boot disk that will work with Win8 UEFI/GPT?

I'd like to use the disk to create the image just so I know it works.

I can assure you that Macrium Reflect will image your Boot Drive completely and restore without issues, be sure to select IMAGE DISK 0 or which ever it is. In the ROG forum many have used Reflect to Image OS UEFI GPT HD and SSD, Many have Successfully Cloned a factory HD to a New smaller SSD, Reflect is the only Back up program I know of that works flawlessly with UEFI GPT disk and its free

Secure boot can be turned off if needed for an install and turned back on after install is complete. This should not be necessary as Reflect actually creates a complete Image.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I've now got the latest Paragon and Macrium images and tested they will queue up for reimage. Will it matter that I had to enable CSM to get the PE disk to boot?

Trying to install 7 now but it won't recognize a UEFI DVD or stick, in CSM it wants an MBR partition, so I guess I have no choice but to delete all partitions unless there are other ideas.

I went back and found where 8F helped do this exact same thing 6 months ago resizing factory C to triple boot 7 and an 8 Clean Install and it worked on an Asus laptop I was testing which I ended up taking back due to other issues. Here's a screenshot: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23214-new-windows-8-laptop-arriving-wish-dual-boot-seven-2.html#post217423

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
I've now got the latest Paragon and Macrium images and tested they will queue up for reimage. Will it matter that I had to enable CSM to get the PE disk to boot?

Trying to install 7 now but it won't recognize a UEFI DVD or stick, in CSM it wants an MBR partition, so I guess I have no choice but to delete all partitions unless there are other ideas.

I went back and found where 8F helped do this exact same thing 6 months ago resizing factory C to triple boot 7 and an 8 Clean Install and it worked on an Asus laptop I was testing which I ended up taking back due to other issues. Here's a screenshot: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23214-new-windows-8-laptop-arriving-wish-dual-boot-seven-2.html#post217423

Well you do need win 7 SP1 64 to support UEFI GPT, and your boot media has to have the EFI Boot64 file in to install UEFI
If your disk are already GPT the install should be no problem. On boot up you need to bring up a boot menu and select the UEFI boot media. I found Rufus very helpful in creating a UEFI USB Install thumb drive.
Boot efi 1.pngBoot efi 2.png
This what my USB Win 8.1 Install media looks like, win 7 would look the same if set up for UEFI

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

For Paragon.
Paragon 12 WinPE4 Recovery disk will boot with Secure Boot ENABLED.

For Toshiba.
You could check for a update for UEFI/BIOS firmware, to boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Win7 64 bit was sluggish so I recovered to factory with the Macrium image which worked perfectly. Next will try 32 bit Win7 Clean Install for this 4gb/Celeron which I am considering for my niece.

Ray, Toshiba has latest BIOS and I don't see a UEFI update on Support Downloads webpage for Satellite C55-A5300. Win7 x64 installer hangs on boot animation in UEFI boot.

I am using the Digital River x64 ISO DVD installer which doesn't have that particular .efi file pictured in the screenshot in Clints post. Will trying flash stick install offer any advantage to get installed in either UEFI or CSM while still GPT factory?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Ray, Toshiba has latest BIOS and I don't see a UEFI update on Support Downloads webpage for Satellite C55-A5300. Win7 x64 installer hangs on boot animation in UEFI boot.

You would need to call Toshiba, to find out what update is for.

A lot of OEM manufacturers are locking the UEFI/BIOS firmware to UEFI install windows 8 only.

It is what I personally call a faulty UEFI/BIOS firmware chip.

If you had a PC with Windows 8 Pro Pre-install, which would have downgrade right to Windows 7, but only to install in Legacy, UEFI mode is down to the OEM manufacturers.

MICROSOFT said:
Can I downgrade the software?
Instead of using the Windows 8 Pro software, you may use one of the following earlier versions: Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business.

This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that come with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with Windows 8 Pro. To enable downgrade on this computer to Windows 7, you must change the settings to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed back to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro will install; however, the following Windows 8 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on UEFI mode boot:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
[DEL]Am able to install Windows 7 x64 to shrink space from within the Factory GPT Windows 8 install, running Sources>Setup. This is not optimal because I would not normally want an Win7 install that's not on C.[/DEL]

Strange, it started install, copied files, then at reboot hung again on 7 boot animation. Is the default DVD installer missing an .efi boot file?

Going to try flash stick install with .efi file modification now. Does Rufus do this for you, or is it done manually as given in UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Decided to take laptop back to Best Buy due to crappy sound and keyboard. Recovered factory install onto drive using Macrium backup. Then thought I'd run actual Factory Recovery to get it ready for new user but it says File Not Found. Is there a way to restore the link on UEFI? If not I doubt they'll even notice since I believe Geek Squad rehabs these returns.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Decided to take laptop back to Best Buy due to crappy sound and keyboard. Recovered factory install onto drive using Macrium backup. Then thought I'd run actual Factory Recovery to get it ready for new user but it says File Not Found. Is there a way to restore the link on UEFI? If not I doubt they'll even notice since I believe Geek Squad rehabs these returns.

Windows 7 or Windows 8 version?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Windows 8. I still have the Macrium and Paragon full disk images, and the Win7 image of just EFI and C.

Ray, I now see why you insisted on making Recovery Disks. But I considered 6 disks a mess for a laptop I only wanted to test.

Disk Mgmt is showing 100% empty on all partitions except C, even when unhiding System and Hidden files. But EFI partition must be working if it's booting, correct? Yet there are no Advanced Options for reboot except for using an EFI media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Paragon 12 & Windows full disk images, will Restore a working Recovery Partition, Macrium is unknown never used.

Is the Macrium you used a Windows 8 version?

All hidden partitions show as empty in DM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I have a Paragon Partition Manager 12 image I can use.

I called BB which says it doesn't matter if I run Recovery to remove User account or not, since they reimage returns before reselling anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
I thought the last Macrium release (5.1) supports these formats. But you have to make a new WinPE CD. You can get the .iso from my Skydrive.

Can I use the above Macrium disk to back up a Toshiba Win8 GPT Hard drive for which I have disabled Secure Boot to try to install Win7 to test it, then if necessary to restore the entire HD?

I don't really want to make the Toshiba back up disks, and Win8 backup imaging only includes EFI partition and C, for some reason ignoring the Recovery partition.

I may take this laptop back to Best Buy so need a reliable backup in case just deleting the Win7 test partition to Extend C again is not enough, or running Recovery from HD won't work for some reason after I set it all back and re-enable Secure Boot.

If you used the above, the above has no Windows 8 support.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
If you use the appropriate CD, Win PE for UEFI it will walk you through the steps. If you have the old BIOS use the Linux CD and boot to disc.
If the above is correct, do you follow 'change settings'>'recovery'>'adv'>'trouble shoot'>uefi, with the disc in, to boot to the disc to recover an image in Win 8.1?
I am unsure what to do with the Win PE disc in to access the recovery screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8300, Dell Inspiron 15 R N5010
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420