Which imaging apps support UEFI, GPT and Secure Boot?

I have to admit the Manufacturer's Recovery Disk has saved me on one occasion when I'd taken my own backups, but I'd messed up the partitions. My fault and I could probably have done a better job of taking the backups, but the Recovery Disk was a *good* thing to have at that point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
No I didn't make the recovery discs. Why do I have to do the manufacturers recovery discs if Paragon will do it?

I personally always with OEM manufacturer's make the Recovery disc's &

backup with Windows Backup,Norton Ghost, & Paragon once a week.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject but when I had windows 7 I had no problem creating a bootable disc with Paragon products.
Would windows backup be able to create a bootable disc and create a complete backup on my laptop or should I just go for Paragon 12 home?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Antivirus
    Norton at the moment
No I didn't make the recovery discs. Why do I have to do the manufacturers recovery discs if Paragon will do it?

I personally always with OEM manufacturer's make the Recovery disc's &

backup with Windows Backup,Norton Ghost, & Paragon once a week.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject but when I had windows 7 I had no problem creating a bootable disc with Paragon products.
Would windows backup be able to create a bootable disc and create a complete backup on my laptop or should I just go for Paragon 12 home?

I personally, would say go with both.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I bought Paragon Hard drive Manager 12 yesterday for £22 and all is now well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Antivirus
    Norton at the moment
Paragon progs are excellent.

What did you get for 22 quid ? Seems a good deal.

More to the point - where did you get it from?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks,

That is a good deal for the Suite.

I was involved in testing it. I am using Pro right now - most people will find the Suite does all they want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have used Paragon for about the last 4 years. I find it slow to do an image copy sometimes 3 to 4 hrs but it has never failed me on a complete restore. Having said that I don't know how long Acronis or Norton would take.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Antivirus
    Norton at the moment
I used Paragon Free when I moved from XP to Windows 8. Although it allows selective restore (which is good), it took a long time, probably much longer than it would take to simply restore the whole partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Do you mean file level restore?

That will take a while.

The new Paragon engine is actually the fastest in the industry - there is not a great deal in it , a few per cent quicker than Macrium, but it is lot quicker than previous paragon versions .

Uncheck Settings>Backup Image Options>Control Archive Integrity.

I have never needed that amount of checking. It already checks the drive - almost always the danger. No need for that as well.

I used Paragon Free when I moved from XP to Windows 8. Although it allows selective restore (which is good), it took a long time, probably much longer than it would take to simply restore the whole partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well, I have to report that Aomei Backuper 1.1 for me right now does not properly restore my Windows 8 box which was set for secure boot with UEFI enabled.

I took a test machine at work, installed Windows 8 onto the machine. When it installed, it created 4 partitions, used GPT and the OS installed fine.

I then took the newest AoMEI WinPE bootable CD, but it won't boot as UEFI. So, I enabled classic boot and it booted and restored my partitions, but the system will not boot.

It auto boots me into a blue screen saying my system needs to be recovered. It then throws an error 0xc0000225 and when I hit F8 for try again it complains about Windows\system32\winload.efi.

Anybody with any experience in this area that could help point me in the right direction. It's just a test box, so not an emergency.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I thought the last Macrium release (5.1) supports these formats. But you have to make a new WinPE CD. You can get the .iso from my Skydrive.

Can I use the above Macrium disk to back up a Toshiba Win8 GPT Hard drive for which I have disabled Secure Boot to try to install Win7 to test it, then if necessary to restore the entire HD?

I don't really want to make the Toshiba back up disks, and Win8 backup imaging only includes EFI partition and C, for some reason ignoring the Recovery partition.

I may take this laptop back to Best Buy so need a reliable backup in case just deleting the Win7 test partition to Extend C again is not enough, or running Recovery from HD won't work for some reason after I set it all back and re-enable Secure Boot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Hi Greg

I don't really want to make the Toshiba back up disks, and Windows 8 backup imaging only includes EFI partition and C, for some reason ignoring the Recovery partition.

Paragon 12 & Windows System Imaging will back up the OEM Recovery Partition.

Check down the list.

UEFI-2.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
For some reason Win7 backup imaging is not including the Recovery partition as shown in your screenshot. Is there a way I can force it?

How do I make the boot disk for Paragon 12? Can I use the Macrium disk Wolfgang linked instead?

Is it possible to run Win7 Sources>Setup from Win8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Maybe it is a hidden partition. Can you see it in explorer?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
No, it will not show up anywhere except Disk Mgmt, even if I unhide Hidden and System files.

Do you think either the Macrium disk Wolfgang linked, or Paragon free will see and back it up? How do I build a Paragon disk? I'd like to image it from disk to be sure it will work.

Looks like I may need to wipe HD first which I was trying to avoid. Do you think I could run Win7 Sources>Setup from Win8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Any of the third party programs probably will see it ,although you might need to give a drive letter to be able to include it.

I think you would have to give it a drive letter for win7 imaging to see it at all.

EDIT: Correction - both Paragon and Aomei will back any partitions. Any filesystem, letter or no letter. Not sure if that is the case with every 3rd party imaging program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have used Windows System Image on a SONY & Fujitsu, with no problems back uping the OEM Recovery Partition.

Looks like I may need to wipe HD first which I was trying to avoid. Do you think I could run Win7 Sources>Setup from Windows 8?

As Toshiba have only two options

UEFI for Windows 8 only.
CSM for all OS's.(Legacy)

Both OS would to be install in Legacy.

Toshiba-003-2.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Cannot assign a drive letter in Disk Mgmt to either of two Recovery partitions.

Do you think the Macrium disk Wolfgang linked will see it, back it up and recover the entire HD so it boots?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Back