What's the Point of Start Menu for NON Touch Screen PC?

the All Apps page has the same functionality as the start menu.

I'm using it.

It doesn't. Not yet, anyway. But the 8.1 incarnation is an improvement.

And, as I said, you no longer need go through the Start Screen to get to it, which is a plus.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
The walled garden style interface that Apple came up with is meant to evolve Content Consumption, not Content Creation. It is literally the next broadcast medium. Content Consumption involves 'flipping channels', and as such.. its natural to move from one consumable program to the next this way. Just like browsing websites.

False. There is nothing inherently preventing anyone from creating content in Metro. In fact, there are many apps that do so. Please explain how this is impossible. For example, the OneNote Metro app is quite good at creating content. I can even shove it off into a corner and use it whenever I want to while i'm using other apps. I can alt-tab between it and anything else i'm doing. I can create as much content as I want.

Or how about an app like this:

Brainstorming using Mind Maps

Guess what? That's a Metro app. Gee, I wonder how that's possible since you insist you can't create content in Metro.

Oh, hey.. look at this..

PowerDirector Mobile - Get Started | CyberLink

You can even edit your videos in Metro, wow! But you said that can't be done!

Face it, you keep repeating the same crap, and it's still as false as the first time you said it. There is nothing inherently that prevents content creation in Metro, it's just that the apps are not yet mature enough in most cases. That's the only problem. Well, that and the API's are not mature enough for many tasks either.. 8.1 is fixing some of that, with 5000 new API's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
The walled garden style interface that Apple came up with is meant to evolve Content Consumption, not Content Creation. It is literally the next broadcast medium. Content Consumption involves 'flipping channels', and as such.. its natural to move from one consumable program to the next this way. Just like browsing websites.

False. There is nothing inherently preventing anyone from creating content in Metro. In fact, there are many apps that do so. Please explain how this is impossible.

I didn't say it was impossible. I said that was not what it was intended for. Any more than Google Docs being an ideal way to build a spreadsheet.

You can even edit your videos in Metro, wow! But you said that can't be done!

Once again, never once said it couldn't be done. That's your brain running off the rails. You can write a book on a bathroom wall. That doesn't mean its the ideal place to do so, was originally intended for that purpose, or that we should all have to write books on a bathroom wall.. because well.. you can.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Hmmm - now that I've played with it enough to have some familiarity with it, I don't "hate" the Metro screen - I honestly can't see it being worth my time to use it. Give me a good enough reason and I'll use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Ultrabook
    CPU
    AMD A6-4400M 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    465GB plus 3TB Seagate External with File History
    Mouse
    Synaptics Touchpad 7.5
    Internet Speed
    300 Mbps
    Antivirus
    Charter Security Suite
I still don't see any valid argument against the metro start screen other than emotion. I use Win7 at work and Win8 at home. Switch back and forth without my brain having a fit. Almost anything any one is doing will be on the desktop any way. If you need access to programs frequently then pin, shortcut, and or dock them. Just about every computer person I know that has to work on their computer fills their desktop with shortcuts, docs, files, etc anyway. Having the start menu or start screen wouldn't really seem to make any difference in work flow. If you need to find some thing quicker most of us just launch the search and type or the run command and type. There's also windows explorer that will give you access to everything in the similar way the start menu did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Core I5 3570K 3.4Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9900NT RT
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming
    Memory
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GbXL ; 4Gx2
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED Black 27" IPS-Panel
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel 730 Series SSD 240GBx2 RAID0 Win8.1Pro 6GB/s Sata III
    Intel 320 Series SSD 600GBx2 RAID0 Games 3GB/s Sata II
    Kingston Hyper X 240GB SSD Itunes Drive 6GB/s Sata III
    Western Digital Scorpio Black 1TB - Docked via Esata
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 750W
    Case
    Corsair Vengence C70
    Cooling
    120mm, 140mm.
    Keyboard
    Corsair Vengence K70
    Mouse
    Logitech G500 Laser
    Internet Speed
    Generally 50/Mbps+
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome, IE
    Other Info
    Samsung Bluray Optical Drive
    WD 1tb storage backup with Thermatake dock
    Sennheiser 558 Headphones
    Swan M50W 2.1 speakers
    Netgear WNDR4500
I'm using the Classic Shell Start program on the Desktop, which makes the Desktop fully functional for me. But my quandary is what do I miss if I never go look at the Metro screen at all? I don't mind it being there, lurking behind the scenes, but what does Microsoft really expect me to do with it if my equipment isn't touch?

To be blunt - You are missing NOTHING. Stick with the Desktop, ignore the other thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Mystere, now you have the gall to tell me what "horrid" means to me?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Hmmm - now that I've played with it enough to have some familiarity with it, I don't "hate" the Metro screen - I honestly can't see it being worth my time to use it. Give me a good enough reason and I'll use it.

That is something you need to determine for yourself. I have mine organized for me and I never did like the old Start Menu. I hated looking through folders trying to remember where some lightly used program shortcut was located. I think the 8.1 changes make it somewhat better but its still a personal choice.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
How, exactly, is it "horrid"?

It's funny, but every time I ask this question of the start screen haters, all they can do is mumble something about not being designed for a keyboard and mouse, which is patently untrue.

Hi there
It really is HORRID if you have to endlessly scroll leftwards for about 7 KM to find something -- and if you install an application every wretched little .EXE file creates a stupid tile which can get inserted ANYWHERE on the start screen -- not necessarily within the main application - and often these .exe files aren't actually the executables you want to start anyway. (And please don't say use the SEARCH -- you might not know or can't remember the name - especially if it's a sub application that you don't use very often).

No for anybody who has more than two or three LARGE COMPLEX applications that used to require a lot of SUB menus, SUB SUB menus and even SUB SUB SUB menus in the old classical interface the new Metro one is HORRIBLE, B/S and absolutely NOT DESIGNED for convenient use.

I suspect that there are whole slews of people on this Forum who just can't get it through their brains that some people DO run very complex applications --try installing the full versions of the whole ADOBE CS SUITE together with the FULL version of VISUAL STUDIO and now tell me that the Metro interface is easy to use compared with the old MENU system.

If you have simple applications or not many applications then it's easy to see where you are coming from -- but you need to try installing the LARGE complex applications to UNDERSTAND what a lot of users have difficulty with -- we aren't being perverse --it's just that this NEW interface makes it a pain to organise after W8 is installed and what is frustrating is that a lot of people just can't SEE THIS. (Of course most people don't have the full CS suite or Visual studio installed so they will never get to see what the problem is anyway).

Even on a modest laptop the start screen gets a HIDEOUS mess -- I know it can be (eventually) tidyed up but why should I have to go through all that extra totally UNNECESSARY work just to get a system to work as it USED TO straight out of the box.

Even here scroll towards Infinity (as shown) on screenshot --afraid my infinity symbol isn't too well drawn.

Old menu system handled this MUCH BETTER.

And BTW even on a MOBILE PHONE I get fed up with the tiles if I have to scroll more than about 3 or 4 times so even here once you start adding loads of apps the whole interface isn't really fit for purpose even on THOSE devices either.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• desk.png
    desk.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 121

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This is why the start screen is arrangeable. When a program is installed, the normal start menu items are pinned to default locations. You are free to organize them any way you wish. You can name your icon groups to make it easier to find (particularly when using semantic zoom). If you just live with the default locations, and never both to organize it yourself, then I can understand your point, but the start screen has mechanisms to solve all your arguments.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I would have found Metro more useful if they had allowed it to be contained in a window on the desktop, so not having to completely switch my environment. I also don't see how metro will work well when really multitasking.

I tend to have 4 or more apps open in separate windows now, and copying pasting etc from one app to another. I don't see how with Metro I would be able to do that.

Especially with the new 4K TVs coming out, these high resolution displays will be as cheap as HDTVs are now in a few years. I don't see any advantage to a desktop user with large and high res displays using Metro and lots of disadvantages to it.

But I am still trying to learn how to use Metro so maybe I am just slow.

I think if Metro could be contained in its own window on the desktop it would be more useful. Sort of like the old Program Manager that came with windows NT prior to NT 4.0.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell/XPS 410
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0CT017
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell SP1908FP (DVI)
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    (1) WDC WD7501AALS-00J7B0 (2) WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (3) WDC WD7501AALS-00J7B0 (4) SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
How, exactly, is it "horrid"?

It's funny, but every time I ask this question of the start screen haters, all they can do is mumble something about not being designed for a keyboard and mouse, which is patently untrue.

Hi there
It really is HORRID if you have to endlessly scroll leftwards for about 7 KM to find something -- and if you install an application every wretched little .EXE file creates a stupid tile which can get inserted ANYWHERE on the start screen -- not necessarily within the main application - and often these .exe files aren't actually the executables you want to start anyway. (And please don't say use the SEARCH -- you might not know or can't remember the name - especially if it's a sub application that you don't use very often).

Cheers
jimbo

this is the main disadvantage i see on start screen. while i don't use those programs with dozens of shortcuts, i do install many smaller applications so at the end is the same.

sure you could babysit every one of the readme, helps, exe, uninstall, etc, that gets a tile but that just speaks about how the start screen is a letdown with desktop applications. On previous windows you did the inverse thing, you pinned to taskbar/start/desktop the couple of apps you most used, the big rest of the stuff was categorized inside all programs. On win8 you have to actually manage every shortcut of a program that gets installed :confused:

6952934817_7f70ffbbbc_z.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 x86,7 x64, 8 x64, xp
    CPU
    Motherboard
    asus p8p67 pro
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati hd4850