What would you like to see in Windows 8?

I hope Microsoft stops developing browsers, there are enough browsers out there and everyone that Microsoft creates seems to have some more and more security problems.

Amen to that!
I get so sick of having to remove viruses and the likes with family members who wont use other browsers such as Firefox

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz)
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Stock + Antec 900 case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (full layout)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
Amen to that!
I get so sick of having to remove viruses and the likes with family members who wont use other browsers such as Firefox

That would be ashame. IE is my favorite and FF srewed up my system - several times. Who wants it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Amen to that!

the problem isn't IE. the problem is bad browsing habits and or lack of safe computing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built
    CPU
    2nd Gen Intel Core i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z86a-d3-b3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial DIMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460 (Gygabite OC)
    Sound Card
    Realtek On board sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer Al1980 + Generic non brand Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1280*1024 + 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Sata III Cavier Green
    500GB SATA II WD Caviar Blue
    160GB SATA II Hitachi
    PSU
    Corsair Extreme
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Cooling
    HAF-X cooling (1 exhaust, 1 front, 1 side, 1 top fan)
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    12.5 Mb/s down 1.2 (ish) M/b up (ADSL2+)
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
i want a fresh new GUI, less resource usage, fastboot, and a built in OS in OS (like VMWare) software. . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel i3
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    500GB
I was really surprise when I switch from Vista to Windows 7 that my overall speed of things actually increased. I can boot-up in like 68 seconds, as long as there is regression in Windows 8, I will be fine! Better yet by then I might get my first PCI SSD 80GB hardware. Then I can boot in 15 seconds, lol.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    DOS^
    Internet Speed
    VERY FAST>>>>!!!!
How about a download manager built-in to Windows 8 Internet Explorer. I always use Firefox, but its really only because I love Flashgot and DownloadThemAll on Firefox.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    DOS^
    Internet Speed
    VERY FAST>>>>!!!!
I would love to see something like an app dock in the upper part of the desktop,also they should make smething like a ''moderator'' account which would have privileges between the admin and normal user.64 bit versions with only the starter version being both 64 bit and 32 bit,the ultimate version should have both 128 bit and 64 bit.I don't wan't 128 bits because i think a lot of people would use it,i only want it for technological advance.Also i would like thatyou could integrate other browsers better into windows like i.e. if you try to open a website from windows explorer or the rss feed gadget it will automatically open in IE...i want to open it in opera.And a possibility that users make their own language packs,both for office and windows.All folders should be able to work as libraries.Radical changes in the UI and the Control panel.Windows media center support for up to 50 new formats from the box...support for pcie 3.0.Kernel rewritten from point 0.

Last edited:

My Computer

A notification saying which driver caused a BSOD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Core2 Quad Q8200 2.8Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Rampage Forumla
    Memory
    8GB DDR2 PC6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac GTX460 2GB/Asus EN9600GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Asus Supreme FX2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22
    Screen Resolution
    1650x1080
    Hard Drives
    2X500GB+ 1x2TB
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Standard
    Cooling
    3X Fans
    Internet Speed
    1024Kbps(which is the average speed in my country)
I would like to see a whole new layout.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    CPU
    Intel Pentium Dual Core T2370 1.73GHz
    Memory
    3GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 965 Chipset
In their quest to be the most technologically savvy I hope they will make their advancements without taking away the functions that are already present in Windows 7. I am sick to death of having multiple functions that I use and depend on, be stripped away with each new incarnation of Windows, because some MS tekkies don't realize that these functions have value to many users. Too many to specifically mention, but I'm sure you guys can relate to having lost functions you really wanted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Office - Vista Home Premium x64 (SP2)
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53 GHz)
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Graphics Card(s)
    512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    Keyboard
    Built in - Synaptics TouchPad V6.5 on PS/2 Port
    Mouse
    Built in - Synaptics TouchPad V6.5 on PS/2 Port
    Internet Speed
    Turbo
    Other Info
    HP dv5t ~Vista 64 bit ~ T9400 2.53 GHz ~ 15.4 WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT ~ 320GB 5400RPM ~ Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card w/Bluetooth ~ Blu-Ray ROM DVD+/-R/RW ~ Integ. HDTV Hybrid Tuner ~ 12 Cell Battery ~ MS Office 2007
I hope to see new style like slide icon when over icon and 3D animation on background on the desktop like on the phone!!!

Last edited:

My Computer

I'd like to see multiple desktops like you find on Linux and Mac OS X, built-in ISO mounting support, radical new UI change (new features perhaps), App Store for Windows (probably gonna happen anyway due to the document that was leaked), more tablet-friendly support; supporting accelerometre, a better on screen keyboard, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 / OS X
    Acer / Apple
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 3.1 GHz / Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz
    Memory
    4 GB / 4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6430 1 GB / AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    Hard Drives
    1 TB / 500 GB
    Internet Speed
    ~60 Mbps
A whole new user interface. The start menu should be eliminated so should the start button on the keyboard it's one less option for shortcut key. The User-interface needs a huge change. It's been like this since 95...that's like 15 years. Sure the buttons have changed but overall the user interface is still as it was 15 years ago. That's a huge disappointment. I was disappointed with xp even more with vista and with windows 7 it was just a bit better.

The task bar of windows 7 was headed in a good direction but seriously it still needs major work. The task bar in general disrupts workflow. You cannot change the position of the icons or size they all flow into the task bar aligned closest to the side of the start button which drives me insane and the start button feels so blah next to the programs pinned on the task bar.

The graphic user interface still looks way too complicated. It needs to be more simple and sleek. The design is not as beautiful as it could be.
The start menu is a disaster and should be removed. It's a horribly complicated directory for the average user. For me it's fine since I know what to do but even then it's just not so nice to look at it. I don't mind a way to switch user interfaces but the windows 8 one should be completely different.

Boot times/sleep times should be sped up. It should take up less memory, space on a computer but also work faster than windows 7.

A version of internet explorer that ACTUALLY is compliant with the web standards would be nice. I think they should make a version of the new internet explorer for windows xp not supporting the operating system is one thing. Not giving them a usable browser that is modern is another.

It's been 8 years since XP, 2 years since vista. The changes that were made were so minimal that it's actually sad. I mean you'd think with that many years they'd get it right. So seriously time for a new user interface. A real new one not just a edit like the new task bar.

Their touch screen support is horrible. I can't ever click the close[x] box of a window when I've used those touch screen computers by HP, etc.
They need to work on that.

The programs should work more fluidly, right some programs just feel weird being used on windows. Like adobe indesign/illustrator works better and more guided on a mac than on a windows computer.

A format to use BESIDES fat32 to use between mac and windows it's annoying that they both have different formats making working with them both extremely difficult.

Having more of the designer fonts like Helvetica, Futura, etc.

I love windows I really do but if they keep it up with the way they've been releasing they will not be doing any good. It's time to really modernize windows, sure they can keep the old boring look for users to change but the new user interface will need to happen.

My Computer

Seen lots of greata ideas... Hopefully not repeating anything.

• Ability to completely disable/remove libraries and home groups
  • Resurrection of folder view/size/position settings removed from Windows 7.
  • Ability to do bulk renaming with various options
  • Ability to add non-indexed locations to libraries (such as mapped drives to a remote machine) should we have to endure libraries.
  • Ability to fetch updates from a central location (like a mapped drive to another machine), so they don't have to be downloaded to each machine

My Computer

Welcome!

Ability to fetch updates from a central location (like a mapped drive to another machine), so they don't have to be downloaded to each machine
That is really WSUS rather than Windows, but I would SO love to be able to install WSUS on Windows 8.

My Computer

Interested in providing some input on what you think would make for great additions and must have features in the next version of Windows 8? Well

My Computer

Back