What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?

One thing that’s fascinating about HSN is that it’s a community made up of people who are very different from the tech bloggers and gadget addicts that tend to hang around places like this.

Hipsters and techies might scoff at HSN, whose habitués are about as far as you can get from Silicon Valley and Williamsburg when it comes to tech and design sophistication, but HSN shoppers buy a lot of technology. And because they’re a community, they love to leave reviews. It is no accident that every HSN listing for a Windows 8 PC has a Pinterest button alongside the Facebook Like and Tweet This buttons.

So I was particularly eager to read the first reactions to these new devices from, for lack of a better word, normal people.

Source

Do any normal people post here? :D

A Guy

Only old long-hair hippie types are normal. Their souls have been psycodelicized. :D

Of course, we NEVER refered to ourselves as "hippies" We referred to ourselves as "freaks"

Heheh!!...Remember the 'Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers'...????

Now, THAT dates us...:-(

LOL! And I thought I was alone here on the forum. lQQks like I'm not the only freak geek! The "bugs" are coming out everywhere! :p

Don't forget Cheech & Chong, Fritz the Cat, Sister Mary Elephant, and many others. :D

No, we won't forget our dear Deadhead friends for sure! The movement continues with Punks! Long live PEACE & LOVE! That's all you need. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta..

Are you serious ?, both cars have the gas pedal at right and the brake at left ...Microsoft with Windows 8 put the steering wheel ( start menu ) in the glove compartment ( start page)
False.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta. By just not showing someone just the simple basics of how to use Windows 8, or at least telling them, you've basically just misrepresented the whole OS and UI. Yeah, it can be tricky and yeah it's different. Why wouldn't you not show someone the ways of how to use it? This I've yet to understand. The argument that says that is shows that Windows 8 is unintuitive is a load of malarkey.
If you don't believe their is dissent I invite you to come to Michigan and I can introduce you to most of the people who I work with who have played with my on display demos and have heard from me first hand on how to use Windows 8 and have elected to not use it. One guy just build a pc last week and he has purchased a much more expensive copy of Windows 7 for the machine rather than Windows 8 because he simply didn't like 8.

Windows 8 is unintuitive in quite a number of areas. Mostly driven from the fact that it's not familiar in any way to past versions of Windows. For example, the charms bar on a desktop is not intuitive. If it were, we wouldn't have needed that little video showing people how to get to it. It makes a whole lot more sense in the tablet world to just swipe in from the right side of the screen, but with a keyboard and mouse it just seems a bit strange to dive into the corners. And speaking of corners, getting to the corners and not a second monitor can be tricky for quite a number of people. Thus, I'm advising them to use Win-C (the keyboard shortcut) to pull up the charms bar. Trying to figure out how to "close" a metro app is not intuitive. I realize MS just wants you to leave it open in the background and hit the start screen and move onto something else....but not all of us want to leave apps open and running that we don't use. Grabbing the top of the window with the hand and just dragging it to the bottom of the screen to get rid of it...while easy enough to learn and remember once shown, is not INTUITIVE.

By the way, what type of people do you work with?

Now, you say closing apps is unintuitive, I say otherwise. It makes sense. Honestly, it's not anymore different than clicking and dragging a window to snap it. I haven't had to do so for over a year now by using the Touch Mouse, and it feels so clunky to do so now. What is so DIFFICULT about moving the mouse down? What? Is it because it hasn't been done like that before?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
@area,Interesting you mention the steering wheel.

Mike mace also used that analogy, he said:

...it is hard to describe how disorienting this is. It's roughly equivalent to giving someone a car in which the steering wheel has been replaced by a joystick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta. By just not showing someone just the simple basics of how to use Windows 8, or at least telling them, you've basically just misrepresented the whole OS and UI. Yeah, it can be tricky and yeah it's different. Why wouldn't you not show someone the ways of how to use it? This I've yet to understand. The argument that says that is shows that Windows 8 is unintuitive is a load of malarkey.
If you don't believe their is dissent I invite you to come to Michigan and I can introduce you to most of the people who I work with who have played with my on display demos and have heard from me first hand on how to use Windows 8 and have elected to not use it. One guy just build a pc last week and he has purchased a much more expensive copy of Windows 7 for the machine rather than Windows 8 because he simply didn't like 8.

Windows 8 is unintuitive in quite a number of areas. Mostly driven from the fact that it's not familiar in any way to past versions of Windows. For example, the charms bar on a desktop is not intuitive. If it were, we wouldn't have needed that little video showing people how to get to it. It makes a whole lot more sense in the tablet world to just swipe in from the right side of the screen, but with a keyboard and mouse it just seems a bit strange to dive into the corners. And speaking of corners, getting to the corners and not a second monitor can be tricky for quite a number of people. Thus, I'm advising them to use Win-C (the keyboard shortcut) to pull up the charms bar. Trying to figure out how to "close" a metro app is not intuitive. I realize MS just wants you to leave it open in the background and hit the start screen and move onto something else....but not all of us want to leave apps open and running that we don't use. Grabbing the top of the window with the hand and just dragging it to the bottom of the screen to get rid of it...while easy enough to learn and remember once shown, is not INTUITIVE.

Now, you say closing apps is unintuitive, I say otherwise. It makes sense. Honestly, it's not anymore different than clicking and dragging a window to snap it. I haven't had to do so for over a year now by using the Touch Mouse, and it feels so clunky to do so now. What is so DIFFICULT about moving the mouse down? What? Is it because it hasn't been done like that before?

No! It's different....and different is not good!

Geez...Why aren't we still building pyramids on Santa Monica Boulevard?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
It's a pretty small sample - and it's self selecting - only those who bothered to give feedback .

Nevertheless, if they are "normal" people as Ed puts it -and judging form the few comments he quoted, they appear to have very simple needs. Exactly the kind of thing win8 is ok at - big buttons to click/jab at to take you straight to Fbook. You might as well just have phone - except the screen is a bit small.

News just in from John Lewis is their electrical sales are about 10% up on this time last year.

That seems to be due to the fact they have a lot of new electricals available. The new ithings - and a whole range of other ithings - new android devices doing well there too apparently - in addition to that - a big range of win8 devices in stock. They haven't said how many win8 devices they have sold, but it must be some.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@area,Interesting you mention the steering wheel.

Mike mace also used that analogy, he said:

...it is hard to describe how disorienting this is. It's roughly equivalent to giving someone a car in which the steering wheel has been replaced by a joystick.

Mercedes Benz built a prototype of this a few years ago. I think it to be a good idea. It would not only be good for "normal" people, but for those whom are handicapped as well.

JC was "different". That's why the Romans hung him on a tree. So was Allen Turring and look what happened to him. Why? Oh why? are some people always against different is beyond me!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Why? Oh why? are some people always against different is beyond me!

I demand every post from you from now on be written in Sumerian cuneiform.
Here is your reference guide:
akkadian-cuneiform.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
All different types. I work for a software company. The US office has some IT staff, customer service people, sales people and a few programmers. Some are men, handful of women. Mostly mid 30s to mid 40s. Half a dozen under 25.
You seem to confuse intuitive for difficult. I never said dragging it to the bottom of the screen was hard, I said it wasn't intuitive. It's fine once they are shown how, but I have not found anybody yet who naturally did that to close an app. Clicking an X in the upper corner made sense to close an app. Dragging the cursor to the top of the screen until it turns into a hand and then dragging to the bottom of the screen to close it does NOT really make sense. You can say that it's logical and makes sense, but unless you are told how to do it, I bet most people would not just naturally figure it out. And that is what intuitive means, figuring it out and having it come naturally, almost instinctively...and that is exactly what we do not have here.

It's easy enough once you know, not hard to accomplish..but not intuitive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I see the col is on form . I didn't understand a word of it either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
All different types. I work for a software company. The US office has some IT staff, customer service people, sales people and a few programmers. Some are men, handful of women. Mostly mid 30s to mid 40s. Half a dozen under 25.

You seem to confuse intuitive for difficult. I never said dragging it to the bottom of the screen was hard, I said it wasn't intuitive. It's fine once they are shown how, but I have not found anybody yet who naturally did that to close an app. Clicking an X in the upper corner made sense to close an app. Dragging the cursor to the top of the screen until it turns into a hand and then dragging to the bottom of the screen to close it does NOT really make sense. You can say that it's logical and makes sense, but unless you are told how to do it, I bet most people would not just naturally figure it out. And that is what intuitive means, figuring it out and having it come naturally, almost instinctively...and that is exactly what we do not have here.

It's easy enough once you know, not hard to accomplish..but not intuitive.

Hmmmm...interesting. So basically you're saying that most people you work with probably aren't your typical normal person, as you said you know a guy that went out of his way to buy 7 Pro over 8 for a puter build. Last I checked, normal people don't do that, along with being on an IT staff, or doing programming work. If I should say so myself, I've noticed IT people are REALLY against Windows 8 because they've seen the past struggles of a new UI and a new OS and the new technology and the new frustrations that accumulates.

Yeah, I wouldn't think most people would figure out how to close an app like that, as the way to close an app since computing has taken place was through a keyboard command or clicking on an X on a corner of a window since about the mid 1980s. I find it makes sense, when you say close down the app, you LITERALLY mean close DOWN the app. In a physical sense, you physically drag down the app, hence closing it down. But with time, this method of closing down an app will become instinct. As I see it, Windows 8 has a couple of major things that really has changed computing and computing paradigms. What doesn't seem intuitive, will. I for one once thought that the sidebar Charms that were introduced with the Consumer Preview weren't intuitive as they were the touch method versus the mouse method in the Developer Preview. But after using them constantly, it's natural to me. In the larger scope of things, that was probably a good move for Microsoft to make to unify input ranges though...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Sumerian cuneiform is different, yes?
And different is always good, right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Sumerian cuneiform is different, yes?
And different is always good, right?

If it's not different, then it would mean assimilation to what a group considers to be the norm, regardless of it's better or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You know what's funny, Cokie? That pic of the kids and the cat on the water - A long time ago I found that cat somewhere and put it in this:

cat.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
If it's not different, then it would mean assimilation to what a group considers to be the norm, regardless of it's better or not.

Well that's not the point that was argued. It's often just left at - change is good, different is good, etc. The kind of change is never mentioned. What you just typed is another way of saying what I've been saying for a freaking year.

Welcome to the dark side sucker HAHAHAHAHA!
whos-your-daddy-darth-vader-shirt.gif

I am trying to follow the new must-use-photo-only rule but it is difficult.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Guess I am quiet normal..Middle aged ..grandma now..remember the Furry Freak Brothers & Fritz the cat...where did all those years go?!

I have been using windows since 3.1 days..having a love/hate relationship with MS with each new Windows reincarnation..

Have had Windows 8 for one day and I do like some of it and not others but I love the challenge and the learning curve!

What I am very puzzled by though is the hard work you have to put in to use it..such as mouse in the corners..dragging apps to the bottom to close and using all the keyboard shortcuts..it all seems like such a retrograde step when windows was invented to be easy to use by the masses.

Since searching for Win 8 help & tips etc on the net I have come across SO many sites telling me how to change windows 8 to look like windows 7 so I guess that must say something about what people are thinking.

I suppose it would be much easier & intuitive with touch so maybe I will have to get a tablet...as it all seems so clunky on the PC

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro32 bit
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo P8600 2.40 GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9200M GS
What peoples thing of Windows 8

jacky.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
This is my second week with windows 8 and after working at least 3 days with help of "How to Geek" I am 100% on the desk top which includes live mail. I have a Samsung 830 256gb SSD and the speed of my computer which has 16gb of ram is unbelievable. Startup is 15 secs. shutdown is 4 secs & opening any program is instant. I never use sleep now as startup is faster than waking up from sleep. So now I can say I am a happy camper with windows 8 but I am a intermediate computer user and I am sure that it would be difficult for a newie. jimjoh

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Winows 8
Back