Well here goes

slacker3343

I have read enough crap on cnet and other places to know I have to try this for myself. Although, a tile style desktop is not thirlling I can knock it until I try it so Im downloading a copy of it. I'll give a full review in a few days I have to admit Im pretty excited, even though inside Im in debate about it. But it is time to end the debate, go forward bodly with windows 8 or switch to linux. Trust me when I say this linux has it's own picadillows but I prefer the oler style desktop and the ability to customize of it. Windows vista sent me running for a bit windows 7 brought me back. But I have always maintained a copy of linux for me personal use. However, I need to end the debate for myself. Living in linux land and being a beta tester I know windows 8 pre-release will not be perfect, Im not looking for perfection Im looking for the idea of it and how it operates and interacts. How effcient is it and is it worth the trouble. I have to admit after reading all the articles and doing all the research Im not encoraged, but never the less I need to end it for myself. Im here mainly to get some impression and some encouragement from the MS community get (beleive me I get plenty to leave ms from the linux community to leave ms). I have an MCSE in widnows 2000 and ran my own business for years. I have sense moved on and Im back to computers as a hobby and the tablet markey I admit has me bumed. I love my droid phone but the thought of it being my possible future as my pc replacenment does not have me thrilled. So if you have any thoughts or encouriging words, drop me a line if your going to leave me your rant about my post save it I won't read it anyway or grace it with a resonce. I have been using computers sense the comodor 64 and I know what I like and I know what I know I don't need your negetive flamming garbage, but to anyone else thanks!!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7 x 64 windows 8 x 64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000
Slacker,

There is a real tone of "I gotta do this or it's curtains for my Windows system" coming from you. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You don't have to feel like "it's either this or Linux." Win7 is going to be supported by MS for another seven years or so yet (I think until 2020). It ain't going anywhere.

Don't worry, no one here is going to flame you. But ... OTOH, you don't have to be melodramatic about it either! Just give the thing a look. If you don't like it (I don't) then stick with Win7, that's all.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
That is totally fair point, however I have been on the fence for years....the tablet market is taking over and Im getting older. A PC is a PC and a toy it still a toy. Im not sure if that is a future I want to be a part of. Just becuase there is support until 2020 dosen't mean that I want too move forward with this style even in the future, but it may not stick either. Totally understand your point, I came off a bit strong. Sometimes I let me emotions get better of my common sense. Like I said there is a part of my that is like a kids a christmas, new OS versions are always fun to play with even with the bugs and thanks to virtualization one can break it, reinstall it, fix it and not change a thing on one's computer. I love windows 7 like XP part 2, it was everything Vista should have been. Thanks for the honest reply!!!!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000
A few words of advice using Windows 8...

Pin your library locations to the Start Screen. Right click on them in Explorer and hit Pin to Start as well as Computer and such. You can also pin folders and drives too. Makes Desktopping easier.

Also, Start key and C brings up the Charms bar as well as moving the mouse pointer to the right side corners. Settings is where you shut down.

To close the metro apps, move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen. A little hand appears, click and drag down.

Within the apps, the Settings charm and right clicking will bring up the app settings. The Search charm is the search UI in these apps too.

I would also suggest changing the mouse pointer speed to fast as I think it would be easier to navigate around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Thanks for the tips coke, I have used all of them and the shortcut keys. Playing with it in the virtual environment has been interesting, I will be rolling it over to my test box in a couple of days after I have a better feel for the environment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000
Slacker, there are about 2 billion desktops in the world and that number is not shrinking so don't worry. By the way, you are just as fired up about tablets and "toys" as anti-8 people are about 8. Probably more so. I don't like the "toy" part of 8 but I still want a theoretical 8. I don't want my OS to move backwards and I don't want to be using the same one the rest of my life. I want to advance. If you've been reading about 8 a lot then you should know that the reason MS did Metro, or whatever it is now, was because they wanted to get into the device market big time. You're going to be using an OS that, in my opinion, suits what you call a toy better than a desktop. But like Max said, the people who don't like 8 are not going to dump on you for liking it, or for thinking it suits your desktop just fine. I'm happy for you if you do find that out.

By the way, why would you switch to Linux instead of using 7? I'm just asking out of curiosity because I've never used Linux before, and I read a lot of people who say they're finally gonna dump Windows for it (whether they'll act on it is another thing), but the cons vs. Windows have been enough to keep me from using it.

Anyway, good luck with 8. Even though I don't use it any more I'm still reading about it and come here to get insight on other stuff. This place and SevenForums are great resources.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Yeah don't listen to CNET. It's the paradise for Apple fans.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Dell XPS 15 L502X
    CPU
    i5 2450m
    Motherboard
    Intel HM67
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 (1333MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000+GT 525m
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD+ WaveMaxx
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB 7200.1 RPM
    Internet Speed
    25mbps=2.5mbit/s
I'm not worried about the end of the PC in the next 5 years it would be more like 10 to years. Tablet OS's are just plane junk. I will be put to the stake and burned before I own a mac. they sue everyone for no reason and spend all of there time reinventing the same operating system with the same features. Thanks to FreeBSD and NetBSD open source operating system that crappy mac OS became viable and not 1 second before. Windows 7 is what a desktop should be period. It is solid, just like XP was. Probably the 2 most note worthy operating systems ever produced. My love of Linux is coming from my relatively speaking ancient computer roots. I love the command line and I love being able to compile my own kernel and customizing the OS to run however I like. What keeps me in windows is the use of high end applications not available at all in Linux and if you run them under wine they either work or they don't.
I got mad enough at the cnet aka apple news head quarters to try the pre release. I am currently testing and I am relieved to have the functional desktop still available to me but the screen formally known as metro....I will right about in a full review. My phone does all the work of a tablet I have no need for another small screen toy with no full service application and garbage mobile apps that leave me feeling like they were programmed by retarded gorilla's. Linux if I have too switch has enough available in it now for me to make a switch if I have too but I'm still beta testing and I do see some potential down the road for windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000
My love of Linux is coming from my relatively speaking ancient computer roots. I love the command line and I love being able to compile my own kernel and customizing the OS to run however I like. What keeps me in windows is the use of high end applications not available at all in Linux and if you run them under wine they either work or they don't.

Gotcha. Yeah, the compatibility issue is a big reason why I've never bothered with Linux, but also because unlike you I've never been a CMD guy. Even when DOS was the only option I couldn't wait to have something beyond that. Same with web code. I know how to do a decent amount of web stuff but the coding....

util.Dom.getElementsByClassName('d'+i,'option',document,function(option){option.innerHTML=nbsp+option.innerHTML;});}

Man sometimes I just want to shoot myself dealing with that junk. But that's just me. Everyone's different.

Regarding PCs again - I promise, even in 10 years the desktop will be alive and kicking. Look at this counter which tracks how many have been sold this year alone. It's like the national debt clock.

In 100 years it might be a different story, but right now billions of people rely on them for too much for them to disappear so quickly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Definitely be sure to get back to us with what you think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview
    Sony VAIO
    CPU
    Intel Core i3
    Memory
    4GB
Slacker--On this, or any other forum, you will get all kinds of responses. But, if someone simply does not like a certain product, it isn't always, "negetive flamming garbage". It's just another person's honest opinion. Isn't that what this forum is for?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
Back