Solved WEI Performance Question

Glenn, I am now experimenting with Windows 8 on a USB stick. For my first attempt I used a stick that was too slow - but it works, although you need to be patient. I now ordered a fast stick. When that comes in, I shall see whether that is a viable alternative.

On my main desktop I run Ubuntu and Windows 8 in Virtual Box. That is the ultimate. Beats double booting (which was a pain) hands down.

Wow, wish I had the gumption to try that out. Bravo! I am still trying to get the concepts down with 8 though. I created a recovery stick. What is that and what is to be done with it. On 7 I keep full system images. Restore points and automatic recovery or repair never worked correctly for me. Can a stick be used with the history type backup thingy that is available? I guess what I am trying for and hoping to pry out of you is the W8 version of a system image. Is there such a beast? Mentioning Ubuntu, I can never ever get DejaBackup to work!!!!!! Aargh! Good luck with the experimenting, idle hands etc:!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Can a stick be used with the history type backup thingy that is available?

You can install free Macrium on Win8 and make images - even to a stick if it is big enough. I tested that (with that same 32GB stick) the other day. It worked in my double booted Win8 and even in my Win8 that is installed in Virtual Box. When I get my fast stick for the 'Win8 to go' installation, I will see whether that can be imaged too - should work.

If you have a fast USB stick, you should venture to install Win8 on it. But it must be a really fast stick. Measure it first with Atto. The 4K Read/Write speeds should be in the 20MB/sec range. The top speed at large blocksizes is not interesting because the system uses mostly 4K blocks.

Should you want to do it, I will be glad to tell you how to do it. It takes about 1 hour if you have WAIK on your system. If you do not have WAIK, add 2 hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Howdy Buddy,
I may be getting free old 250 GB Sata drive. If so then I am glad to hear macrium works. I tried to install it and it would not create the startup DVD. Any ideas, it began the operation and was doing it hours later. I found Brinks tutorial on recimage and did a backup on the drive itself, but I don't believe that this is exactly equal to a system image from macrium or paragon. BTW never had any luck with restore points or repairs in Windows 7. I know that a system image works. Was going to go out and get a 32GB stick, but got stuck with the great price variations and the inability to tell what is a fast one. What type, may I ask are you purchasing?
Eventually I was going to try to wriggle some assistance in reinstalling Ubuntu and getting a Virtual Box? setup to run W8.
I posted a guestion I am sure you can answer if you will, about why apps??? Also I downloaded both of the popular start button programs and both were inadequate IMHO to even bother with. I recall in a different thread that you had a way of setting up the metro screen to be useful. That would be a great idea, now that I know what I am stuck with.
Thanks as always for your kind and knowledgeable help!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
1. The Macrium WinPE recovery CD you might want to create under Win7. It is a pretty complicated process and not all pieces may work yet under Win8. You then need not really install Macrium on Win8 because with the WinPE CD you cannot only recover but you can also make images - the same as with the installed program.

2. If you are looking for a 32GB stick for backing up data or images, any stick is good enough. I bought one for $24 the other day from Newegg. But if you want to install programs on a stick, you need a fast one and they are more expensive. I now ordered a USB3 model to install Windows 8.

3. And you are right. The Windows recovery/restore facilities have been historically weak. Half of the time they do not work - and that since XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I can't resist posting my WEI score

WEI.jpg

:eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
    SATA 3 SSD, SATA 2 5 drives total 6Tb
1. The Macrium WinPE recovery CD you might want to create under Win7. It is a pretty complicated process and not all pieces may work yet under Win8. You then need not really install Macrium on Win8 because with the WinPE CD you cannot only recover but you can also make images - the same as with the installed program.

2. If you are looking for a 32GB stick for backing up data or images, any stick is good enough. I bought one for $24 the other day from Newegg. But if you want to install programs on a stick, you need a fast one and they are more expensive. I now ordered a USB3 model to install Windows 8.

3. And you are right. The Windows recovery/restore facilities have been historically weak. Half of the time they do not work - and that since XP.

Howdy Kind Sir!
I am in the process of creating the WinPE disk for it, had a 1.67 GB download and started to install and said I needed .Net framework 2 for it to continue. Downloaded that and installed and it W8 immediately said it needed 3.5 for the apps to work and started downloading that. I used the WinPE disk from my other system and it seemed to boot into windows 7 looking thing and began to run Macrium. Not knowing, I downloaded and installed Macrium and then set about to make it it's own bootable disk! As of now it came up with some compatibiliy message and it seems to be loading WAIK.....
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Glenn, looks like you have all kinds of troubles getting that WinPE CD done. If it does not work in Win8, try in Win7. They are the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Glenn, looks like you have all kinds of troubles getting that WinPE CD done. If it does not work in Win8, try in Win7. They are the same.

Thanks, that is definitely reassuring. But the immediate problem is that during the Macrium burn, the OS pop up a choice box that I think I made the wrong choice! Ratz!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Win 8 is pretty much Win 7 in sheeps clothing but I and many others find it far faster! So they must have tweaked the underlying code which may make it different enough from Win 7 to cause problems?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
LOL, life is tough.

Well it has been said that if your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough! I substitute perseverance for toughness {:))! The disk just this second finished burning after my machinations. I will now see if it will boot and work! Finger's crossed. Hope I get that 2nd drive soon....
L8tr whs!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Win 8 is pretty much Win 7 in sheeps clothing but I and many others find it far faster! So they must have tweaked the underlying code which may make it different enough from Win 7 to cause problems?

I know it seems pretty fast! And it is certainly causing some headaches. But the speed is nice! Worth the effort IMHO!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
For the speed of Win8 keep your fingers crossed. The Win7 Beta was also a lot faster than the final product. I think there is a difference between a Beta test system and a fully loaded work system. But I am sure we will pick up some more performance. Where else would the prograss be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
For the speed of Win8 keep your fingers crossed. The Win7 Beta was also a lot faster than the final product. I think there is a difference between a Beta test system and a fully loaded work system. But I am sure we will pick up some more performance. Where else would the prograss be.

We will see........

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I'd have thought a beta was loaded with debug code and was still to be fine-tuned so would be slower than retail?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
I'd have thought a beta was loaded with debug code and was still to be fine-tuned so would be slower than retail?

Nah, those traces are there all the time. Look into Event Viewer of Windows 7 and you will see all the stuff that is being traced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back