Warning! Users will have to reinstall all apps...

warning   Warning
Users will have to reinstall all apps if they opt for Windows 8.1 beta

Beginning June 26, users will be able to download the beta or preview version of Windows 8.1 fairly simply, via the Windows Store. But Microsoft officials confirm that upgrading to the final RTM build will include a gotcha—you’ll need to reinstall all of your apps.

Put another way, Windows RT users will be forced to reinstall all of the “Metro” apps (now known as modern apps) they’ve added to the OS, once the final RTM version is released.

And Windows 8 users will be forced to reinstall all of the modern-stype apps and all of the desktop apps they’ve added—a real pain for anyone with a well-populated system, according to ZDNet, which first reported the story.

Source

A Guy

I don't see why everyone is complaining just think how much better your PC runs after a fresh install all the rubbish removed from being used

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    acer ax3950
    CPU
    i3 530
    Memory
    4 gig ddr 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    dont need one as i go on onlive cloud gaming
    Sound Card
    none
    Monitor(s) Displays
    i-inc 19 inch wide
    Hard Drives
    640 gig
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    logitec s540
    Mouse
    motor mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 meg virgin media uk
Hi there
The main problem isn't in re-installing all the applications again -- I have most of mine on a 32 GB USB stick under a folder labelled Installable_apps with a TEXT file of a serial number if one is required for the application so I just work down the applications and install one by one.

The REAL bugbear is when you need to find and apply all the fixes / upgrades / patches that your applications have had since you originally installed them -- and a lot now are installed directly from servers / the web so you don't install these from local files on your PC.

Sometimes in "Dumbing down processes" to make it simpler for the masses the software suppliers actually make it WORSE when you need to do something other than click a web link to install an application.

Office 2010 for example with SP1 has a huge number of fixes and security updates since the original version - but all these need to be run again via Ms update.

Also sometimes you have legacy / older software too -- you have the original install program but the updates are no longer available (company no longer supports the version you have / gone out of business etc etc).

Finally sometimes you can ONLY get a newer version of the software rather than the version you have been using (with its fixes / upgrades) and you find that it doesn't work properly or you just prefer the previous version so what do you do then.

I've often "upgraded" software to a newer version and wished I hadn't - at least until the bugs had been fixed.

So it's not always a "no Brainer" to do a clean install unfortunately.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
How about Office programs like 2007 or 2010 and 2013, in the final will have to uninstall that too? That would be a real pain

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
It is hubris, plain and simple. Ms thinks they are too omnipotent to be wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Quit bitching. The preview is FREE and so is the final update. You only have to re-install if you use the preview. Just let someone else test it and then if you want the final you won't need to re-install anything.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Quit bitching. The preview is FREE and so is the final update. You only have to re-install if you use the preview. Just let someone else test it and then if you want the final you won't need to re-install anything.

Jim :cool:

That is my plan let somebody else be the tester.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Me too. You can all test it and let us know

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
8.1 would want to be worth all the hassle. Too bad they couldn't pull off a 'Service Pack' style upgrade for existing 8 installations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB
8.1 would want to be worth all the hassle. Too bad they couldn't pull off a 'Service Pack' style upgrade for existing 8 installations.
Well if you skip the preview version and wait for the actual 8.1 release, it shouldn't be too bad. It's only if you use the Preview that you'll have to reinstall, as I understand it.

Whatever I think of Microsoft and the features they have or haven't included in 8.1, I think it's entirely reasonable that they haven't poured resources into supporting in-place upgrades from a test version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
How about Office programs like 2007 or 2010 and 2013, in the final will have to uninstall that too? That would be a real pain

Hi there
Actually provided you have the serial numbers Office products are quite simple to re-install -- and remember with W8 you can simply copy the .iso to HDD and mount the "Virtual iso" directly so install is a breeze. - There are a LOT of downloads to update though so POST INSTALL such as SP1 for office 2010 etc. You simply use the Windows update service. After installing office go online and check for updates. With decent internet speeds that shouldn't be a problem these days.

Other non ms products that have had lots of updates are much more of a problem in practice.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I don't mind reinstalling modern apps, or installed programs. A clean install status will make my PC/dad's laptop snappier to use.
However does this effect files too?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't mind reinstalling modern apps, or installed programs. A clean install status will make my PC/dad's laptop snappier to use.
However does this effect files too?

Hi there
By this I assume you mean your User data such as multi-media, photos, documents, music etc.

Now this is why one should ALWAYS keep these files on separate partitions or disks - then when you restore / recover / re-install the OS you don't LOSE any of this. Apart from anything else it also means you can have a much smaller OS partition which is easier to backup regularly.

If your data is on the same partition as the OS then you WILL lose data if you re-format the disk. So if this is the case you have now why not create a separate data partition and move your data files to it. You can dynamically create and re-size partitions with the FREE partition wizard tool without re-installing your OS.

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Well if you skip the preview version and wait for the actual 8.1 release, it shouldn't be too bad. It's only if you use the Preview that you'll have to reinstall, as I understand it.

Whatever I think of Microsoft and the features they have or haven't included in 8.1, I think it's entirely reasonable that they haven't poured resources into supporting in-place upgrades from a test version.

That's the way I read it to. If you skip the beta the 8.1 update will install service pack like and you won't have to reinstall anything. It's only if you run the beta release that the reinstall complications arise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

That's the way I read it to. If you skip the beta the 8.1 update will install service pack like and you won't have to reinstall anything. It's only if you run the beta release that the reinstall complications arise.

Hi there
the best way if you want to try the preview is to run if from a VM - and TEST install any products you want to try on this VM. Keep an image of the previous OS as well just in case.

With the VM you can probably try out a few products without activating immediately - I think for example Office will allow some days of use before it goes into "reduced functionality mode". This should be long enough to get a feel for 8.1.

Use VMware player or Oracle's VBOX (both free) for creating and installing the VM's --plenty of help in the tutorials on the virtualisation section -- note you can even run W8 VM's on an XP host if you are still running XP as your main system !!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there
Actually provided you have the serial numbers Office products are quite simple to re-install -- and remember with W8 you can simply copy the .iso to HDD and mount the "Virtual iso" directly so install is a breeze. - There are a LOT of downloads to update though so POST INSTALL such as SP1 for office 2010 etc. You simply use the Windows update service. After installing office go online and check for updates. With decent internet speeds that shouldn't be a problem these days.

Other non ms products that have had lots of updates are much more of a problem in practice.

Cheers
jimbo

true but now you have to do all the windows updates again
You have to reinstall your backup for Office
these are a real pain in the :you know what!

and any programs you installed now need to be reinstalled

We never had to do this with a service pack, why start now?

I do not mind reinstalling apps but programs? that is another story, I have lots of programs on my Windows 8, now i have to go through the time and energy to reinstall them- NOT

I will wait for the final and hope that it is not like the preview- where all you have to do is put back the metro apps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
We never had to do this with a service pack, why start now?
But have there ever been Preview versions of Service Packs?

Exactly, its a BETA version and that changes things. Also, it may sound like nit picking, but its a bit more than just a service pack. The Windows kernel goes from 6.2 to 6.3 and that equates to an OS upgrade. At least in my books it does. The way I see it is Microsoft is coding it for a 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade, not a 8.1B to 8.1 upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Hmm, I am lucky. I never installed any apps on Windows 8 since I am not using it anyhow. Only fire it up once per month for the updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I saw, and posted the article as a warning that if you install the preview, you will have to reinstall apps. To me, and many, it may have seemed obvious to play with the preview in a VM, but there are always those who aren't as technical reading. As has been stated, if you install the preview, you will have to reinstall apps when the final comes out. If you use a VM to play with it, you will just do an update. I think the idea was that everyone be made aware, then it seems a small thing, no?

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast